New To The Forum? Click Here To Read The How To Guide. -- Developers Click Here.

Rift audio not working after a few mins in-game

DaBest1222DaBest1222 Posts: 31
Brain Burst
I've been having this problem for probably about a couple of months. Basically, when I play a game and I use my Rift headphones; the audio will randomly cut out. Is there a fix to this?
If H3VR is compatible with the Oculus Rift, why does Steam not say it is?
Top 10 Questions Scientists Still Can't Answer

Comments

• DaBest1222DaBest1222 Posts: 31
    Brain Burst
    Btw, it doesn't matter whether it's a Oculus game or a SteamVR game, the same thing happens
  • AaronW95AaronW95 Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    I had this happen to me, and this is how I fixed it. I right clicked the little speaker on the taskbar and then went to sounds>playback, I then disabled everything bar what I was using, but felt like "Realtek Digital Output" was the main culprit, it kept switching between my "Speakers" and that, so I set my speakers to "Default Device" and "Default Communications Device". Me, personally found that this worked, hope this also works for you.
  • DaBest1222DaBest1222 Posts: 31
    Brain Burst
    It didn't work, should I restart my PC and try it again?
  • GherronGherron Posts: 193
    Art3mis
    I have another culprit (and it’s a bad one!). My headphones started going in and out starting with one ear and then both.  I did some research and learned that the audio cable inside the head strap bends and flexes when adjusting the strap.  Eventually, the cable developed a short inside the headset where you can’t get to it.

If you search YouTube for a video called “Oculus Rift cv1 earphone and rear IR sensor fail”, that is a video I found that shows exactly what has happened to mine.

I contacted Oculus support and after a couple of weeks back and forth, they came back with essentially ”Sorry but your warranty is up.  We won’t help fix it but would be happy to sell you a refurbished model.”

I understand warranties, but this is a flaw with the inner workings of the device; something a regular consumer can’t fix.  And if their excuse that “metal fatigue” is to be expected, that essentially means they expect the devices to start failing around year 2.

My hope was that they would at least have me ship it back so they could repair it.  I would even pay $50 or so.  I can’t afford to buy another one and using external headphones makes using VR just too “cabley” and cumbersome.

TL;DR - Inner flaw with the headphone cable and Oculus won’t help.  Sadly, my Rift is now a dust collector.