cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OGO content creators, is it worth it?

Zubz
Explorer
Hello,
Would love to hear about OGO content(games, etc) creators experiences. Is it worth creating for the OGO platform only, what were the risks, rewards and how you were able to strike a balance. Not sure if there are any metrics (for number of OGO in use on a monthly basis, any successful games, etc)  or articles about the same.
Our team is internally debating if it's worth going the mobile route or creating a release for OGO (+gearVR) , if you had limited time/resources which way would you go. 
TIA
5 REPLIES 5

przecinek
Rising Star
Depends on content I guess - if its a VR movie, photo, video etc then not really. Users will not be able to comment on that photo / video, won't be able to like it or add to playlist. They can only comment on supporting platform (Ie. Samsung VR, Oculus Photos, Facebook Videos etc). You also won't be able to monetize content.

Unless you're planning to create an entire app then I think it might be worth it 🙂

Zubz
Explorer
Yes, games to be more specific. Considering oculus takes 30% of the sales (please correct me if I'm wrong) and the hmd numbers aren't huge or active user numbers not know, wondering if it's really worth developing or waiting till it gathers more users. Thnx

desiv
Expert Protege

Zubz said:

wondering if it's really worth developing or waiting till it gathers more users. Thnx

That is the age old question.  😉
You could wait until the market grows, but then you're just a new developer in a saturated market and how do you get everyone to try your app.
You could start earlier, so you are a known quantity in the early market making it much easier to get noticed with newer apps as the market grows, but that means the return initially is smaller.

Of course, it's tricky to tell what the numbers are right now also.
In the English speaking world, it is likely over 200,000 units (already 100,000+ downloads of the App in the Google Play store.  We won't see the next jump there until it hits 500k (so it could be 100,001 or 499,999), and that doesn't include iPhone owners.
If you can hit a decent percentage of the current number, how is that for a start?

Zubz
Explorer

desiv said: and that doesn't include iPhone owners.
what does that mean? iPhone users not using gearVR/OGO . 

desiv
Expert Protege

Zubz said:

desiv said: and that doesn't include iPhone owners.
what does that mean? iPhone users not using gearVR/OGO . 

It just means the count doesn't include iPhone users because the Apple appstore doesn't include numbers like the Google Play store does.