cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Dream, My Goal

Curgon
Honored Guest
I am now a lover of VR Community. I started looking around, and sure enough, I found you all!

Now let me begin apologizing if I am that noob/new guy that asks the question that has already asked some of my questions, but let me just throw them out there.

1. The Rift and Omni a match made in heaven? I looked at them both and thought they would be a great combo!

2. Does the Oculus Work with GTA San Andreas and the newest? Maybe even the Omni if anyone knows that off-hand.

3. Any VR gloves being intergrated? I think not for gaming so much, yet. But maybe for something custom or a VR Environment.

4. Other devices that come Rift/Omni ready? Links

Right now, those are really my main ones as of right now. I appreciate you reading this and look forward to your responses and dicussions!
5 REPLIES 5

cybereality
Grand Champion
1) I've never tried the Omni, but I bought one and I am excited for the match-up.

2) The Rift generally needs games to have native support. There are some driver-based solutions, but they typically provide a sub-par experience compared to native games.

3) No good consumer gloves yet, but there have been some DIY projects.

4) There are tons of VR devices coming out every day. Sixense STEM and PrioVR are too promising products.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

Curgon
Honored Guest
You are awesome for answering those for me!

The GTA one, I want to atleast get the Omni to work with it on the movement part, the rift as well if that is doable. I havent found a video yet to demonstrate it but hey, never know if something better may come along. The gloves was no biggie, just curiousity. And thank you for throwing those names out there for other devices.

I have started on my project of setting up my Rift Omni Studio in a spare bedroom.

Step 1) Sound Proof it, put in mini fridge.

cybereality
Grand Champion
Might want to check this video.

AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

Curgon
Honored Guest
Ah! Very nice. Although its not with the Omni, but it is with the Rift, so confirms it works with the Rift atleast. Very nice. Hopefully I can find some success stories regarding the Omni working with it. I dont mind using a controller right now.

I did see someone sorta virtualized thier PC, in a sense of a island, that had their files and pictures displayed, thought that was cool and wanted to see if I could do anything with that myself.

The new Rift I see being talked about, is that the Dev kit currently available or is that next? If you can say anything about it.

ash55
Explorer
"Curgon" wrote:
I am now a lover of VR Community. I started looking around, and sure enough, I found you all!

Now let me begin apologizing if I am that noob/new guy that asks the question that has already asked some of my questions, but let me just throw them out there.

1. The Rift and Omni a match made in heaven? I looked at them both and thought they would be a great combo!
This is just my opinion but it seems like the big breakthrough in VR has mainly been the motion sensors and the smartphone displays. Both of which Oculus has been able to latch onto, and turn into a high quality, low cost VR HMD.

With all this other technology, like the Omni and the VR suits... eh, not so much. There's not really a commercial hunger for that sort of tech IMO and the cost is too prohibitive. While it's cool, there aren't many outside forces driving the technology forward . My big fear for VR is that it will be very niche compared to console gaming, and for the Omni, that will be an even larger problem. A niche within a niche. I see great potential for the technology at arcades and such, but I don't see a big enough install base for publishers to specifically support it. You might see a few games that use it, but will we see Rockstar porting GTA6 to it? No, I don't think we will. I doubt GTA6 will even support the Oculus (though I hope it does).

I think VR needs to be low-cost, reach a wide audience and gain acceptance. That way people will know the promise of VR. And once they understand that, they will naturally yearn for more ways to immerse themselves. At this early point in VR, the Omni and similar tech seems too nerdy, too niche for the average consumer. Once everyone has experienced the Oculus however, things like the Omni will be in much higher demand. Though perhaps I under-estimate. Like I said, this is just my opinion. But I feel like I need to reign in your expectations, you won't be able to walk around San Andreas in the very near future (at least not in the polished, fun way you'd expect)

2. Does the Oculus Work with GTA San Andreas and the newest? Maybe even the Omni if anyone knows that off-hand.
I think you need to watch this video. It's about porting games to VR. In a nutshell, yes and no. You could mod GTA to "work" with the Oculus. But it won't be anywhere near optimal. Ideally, we'll want Rockstar to design GTA6 for VR from the ground up. Watch the video for more info:

3. Any VR gloves being intergrated? I think not for gaming so much, yet. But maybe for something custom or a VR Environment.
The best candidate (with the most chance of commercial success) for interacting with the VR world seems to be the Sixense (to me anyway). It is backwards compatible with the Hydra which many Oculus demos support. Honestly I would put my money more on motion controls than treadmills for the immediate future of VR. Also, there's hints that Oculus may be working on their own input solution too in their SXSW panel but nothing confirmed.

4. Other devices that come Rift/Omni ready? Links

A regular gamepad like the Xbox 360 controller is the main input device for VR right now. With Hydra being a little more niche but also a very powerful experience. The Hydra is discontinued but like I said the Sixense is kind of the next (wirelss) version of it. Honestly if you're not a developer I wouldn't buy anything right now unless you're willing to gamble away money on peripherals that may not take off. For a consumer I'd recommend waiting for Oculus to release their consumer product. Then see what devices are supported by the vast majority of games. It could be the Sixense. It could be the Omni. It could be something completely different. So wait and see.

If you're a developer or an enthusiast who is happy to spend money beta-testing a product, then just buy the Rift dev-kit for now. Don't worry about peripherals like motion controls since not many demos support them. There are very few good indie games that support VR, and no triple-A games at all (like GTA) that support VR well. So if you're looking to buy a Rift dev-kit to play GTA-style games in VR... you're going to be disappointed sadly. Development for VR has only just begun really. It takes time for these sorts of games to come out.

My overall advice is as follows: Wait for the release, then buy the Oculus consumer product when it comes out. The more people who buy the Oculus Rift, the more publishers will take note, therefore more big-budget games will want to support it, and the closer you'll get to walking around San Andreas.