New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Can oculus rift work on an external graphics card

forgetfulslowchrisforgetfulslowchris Posts: 2
NerveGear
My laptop has a better processor than my desktop, its a core i7-3520m 2.9ghz. The laptop has 16GB of RAM and im thinking about using this, https://www.banggood.com/Expresscard-Version-V8_0-EXP-GDC-Beast-Laptop-External-Independent-Video-Card-Dock-p-1009976.html?p=QZ080112991202201708&stayold=1&cur_warehouse=USA, in order to run my 1050ti as an external graphics card. So my question is will this work?
Tagged:

Comments

• cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    No, I don't think so. The link you posted, the first line says NOT compatible with GTX 1050 Ti. And laptops are notoriously bad for Rift compatibility. 
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • MaxBrunnerMaxBrunner Posts: 80
    Hiro Protagonist
    Yes - the rift can work on a egpu but not the solution you suggest. I'm running the Rift on a Thinkpad P51 combined with a Sonnet Breakaway eGpu (gtx1080) using a Thunderbolt3 connection. All works fine.
    The expresscard solution you posted is waay too slow for VR.Thunderbolt 3 is what you would need in your laptop. Also, I'm not sure but is the i7-3520M supported? M=mobile=less powerful if I'm not mistaken. I'm not sure if it would meet the minimal cpu spec for the rift.

• forgetfulslowchrisforgetfulslowchris Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    edited July 2018
    The oculus rift recommended cpu is the i5-4590
    on cpu boss, the cpu compare sight, the i5 scored 8.2 and the i7 3520m scored a 8.1. http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i7-3520M-vs-Intel-Core-i5-4590, the Sonnet Breakaway eGpu is a little much for me unfortunately. Is their a cheaper option out there? because at that price i might as well switch my dektop PC from its core i7-920 to a newer AMD processor and motherboard. 

• abiderabider Posts: 5
    NerveGear
    Technically Yes, it'll work but just like maxBr mentioned above you'll need to set it up on a Thunderbolt 3 connection. And if you're looking for more better options of external GPUs that are desgined with VR in mind then view these. Good luck.