New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Amazon going big with VR: Jack Ryan training facility

ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 12,801 Valuable Player
edited July 2018 in General

Ever since Amazon announced their Sumerian platform for building VR/AR experiences, I've been checking in weekly to see what their next move is going to entail. I really love that a giant like Amazon is backing the VR Industry and platform.

I'm also a fan of the actor, John Krasinski. Ever since his epic performance as "Jim" in the office I've followed his career. Now he has an Amazon exclusive series, Jack Ryan, which I will naturally subscribe to watch.

And now it all comes together with this:

I've never been too big a fan of the "physical" implementation of VR (e.g. Room-Scale), however, this is some seriously awesome next-level stuff. You're not just walking around; you're performing some true physical feats.

Here is UFC's Rhonda Rousie on a damn actual Zip Line:

VR Zip Lining FTW:

And in case you're wondering, yes, this setup has been depicted with an Oculus Rift. Although I can imagine that any PCVR headset will suffice. Nonetheless, I must sign up for this!

Someone just two-story zip lined with an Oculus Rift on their face. Challenge Accepted!

Full article:

Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane

Comments

• cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    That looks amazing.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • OmegaM4NOmegaM4N Posts: 290
    Nexus 6
    edited July 2018
    You won...ok

• LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,627 Volunteer Moderator
    OmegaM4N said:
    That has to be the dumbest thing i have ever seen, why have a VR headset on and actually go down a zip line, going down any zip line will be miles better to actually enjoy with your own senses rather than with a headset on. lol

I think because you get the g-forces of the zip line, but set in the environment that is applicable to the content being promoted, in this instance Jack Ryan
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 12,801 Valuable Player
    edited July 2018
    OmegaM4N said:
    That has to be the dumbest thing i have ever seen, why have a VR headset on and actually go down a zip line, going down any zip line will be miles better to actually enjoy with your own senses rather than with a headset on. lol

And running outside is going to be miles better than playing a video game where you use a peripheral to make an avatar run. Are you against gaming overall?
    :p

If you read the article, the zip line aspect is just one part of an overall experience.
  • Digikid1Digikid1 Posts: 1,659 Valuable Player
    Looks fun. 
  • jason.goatcherjason.goatcher Posts: 6
    NerveGear
    High places are scary enough in VR.  If I was ACTUALLY high up, I wouldn't want to get into VR.
    Nexus 6
    edited July 2018
    Zenbane said:
    OmegaM4N said:

And running outside is going to be miles better than playing a video game where you use a peripheral to make an avatar run. Are you against gaming overall?
    :p

If you read the article, the zip line aspect is just one part of an overall experience.

edited July 2018
    OmegaM4N said:
    This is a actual physical event your taking part in, i think they just shoe horned VR into it because, well because it's there, i mean no matter how high your taking a zip lin from, you will want to enjoy that first hand with your own eyes and senses. lol

You didn't answer my question, are you against all gaming? Because all physical activities are best experienced first-hand with your own senses. So I will presume that you avoid any games that simulate and/or shoe-horn physical activities. If not, then you're arguing just for arguments sake here.

You seem overly focused on the Zip Line part. Do you think that a zip line is all that is happening with this attraction? I will again recommend that you read the entire article. Or at least look at the map provided.

Have you ever zip lined in real life? Have you zip lined in VR? I zip lined in The Climb, and it was amazing. I actually believe that the experience would in fact be much better if I could zip line in The Climb while simultaneously doing so in real-life. And unless you tried this event yourself, I can't see how you can assess that they just "shoe-horned" VR in to it.

Besides, there are things VR can help our minds achieve that we can't do in real life. What if you are zip lining (in VR) between two satellites in space? Our between to towering skyscrapers who peak above the clouds? Simulating that with real zip lining in a studio setup may very well be quite fascinating; and it is an experience that currently cannot be duplicated.

Also, you speak as if somehow the moment you zip line in VR, you magically sign all rights away to zip line for real lol. You do realize that you can do both, right? In the same day, even.

Your replies here remind me of some of the stuff I've seen in response to the Oculus GO advertisements. GO's tagline is, "Open Your Eyes." And the official video shows outdoors events like jumping out of airplanes. Every so often someone replies with something like, "Just go outside instead."

I don't get why people think that if you do something one way, that you can't do it another way too.

Besides, I really doubt that Amazon just "shoe horns" something in half-heartedly. They are known for the exact opposite, hence their global dominance. Although in related news, you can buy a shoe-horn from Amazon, fyi:

Amazon created a very specific experience to synchronize VR with the physical setup. That's not what "shoe horning" entails.
  • przecinekprzecinek Posts: 587
    Nexus 6
    I liked the idea but without positional tracking this experience might be missing something. Yes you're going down a straight zip line but every zip descend is minimally different. Unless it is automatic (you just hold on and wait for zip line to be realesed). 
  • RattyUKRattyUK Posts: 538
    Neo
    @Zenbane - thanks for this little teaser (yes, I read the linked article) - I'd have been second in the queue for that attraction (as you'd have probably been able to run faster than me!) and would have left it with a big grin all over my ugly mug!

All that work just for a week at Comic Con?  Amazing!

I think if that had been in the UK I'd have happily attended, just for the experience :smiley:
    PC info: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, Asus ROG Crosshair VII Hero, 16GB Tforce Pro Dark DDR4 3200, Gigabyte GTX 1080, Samsung 850 Pro M.2, 2x 240GB SSD, 3TB WD Green HDD & 4 TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, Corsair Modular 750w PSU, custom watercooling loop. (Win 10 Pro & Opensuse Leap 15 Linux) 32" AOC 4K Monitor.

Laptop: Aorus X5 V6-CF1 (I7-6820HK, GTX 1070, 2* 256GB M.2 NVME, 1TB 7200 HDD 3K screen)
  • Hiro_Protag0nistHiro_Protag0nist Posts: 4,587 Valuable Player
    No, i'd have been second - right behind Ronda Rousey!

• Hiro_Protag0nistHiro_Protag0nist Posts: 4,587 Valuable Player
    Holy smoke:

"a team of over 300 worked non-stop over a few months to get this ready for Comic-Con. Quite an accomplishment considering the public will get to experience it this week only. This really should be its own theme park."

I totally agree.  Looks amazing and there should be more of these!
  • Techy111Techy111 Posts: 5,175 Volunteer Moderator
    Sod you all !!!! I'd be first with my "I've just had an operation" sympathy card  :D
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.
    And FlyInside Forum Admin.
    Flyinside Flight Simulator RELEASED.
    przecinek said:
    I liked the idea but without positional tracking this experience might be missing something. Yes you're going down a straight zip line but every zip descend is minimally different. Unless it is automatic (you just hold on and wait for zip line to be realesed). 

Why would it not have positional tracking? It's using a Rift.

I've seen a vid of someone playing Dreadhalls with a Rift outdoors on a hoverboard lol
    Nexus 6
    edited July 2018
    Zenbane said:
    OmegaM4N said:
    This is a actual physical event your taking part in, i think they just shoe horned VR into it because, well because it's there, i mean no matter how high your taking a zip lin from, you will want to enjoy that first hand with your own eyes and senses. lol

You didn't answer my question, are you against all gaming? Because all physical activities are best experienced first-hand with your own senses. So I will presume that you avoid any games that simulate and/or shoe-horn physical activities. If not, then you're arguing just for arguments sake here.

You seem overly focused on the Zip Line part. Do you think that a zip line is all that is happening with this attraction? I will again recommend that you read the entire article. Or at least look at the map provided.

Have you ever zip lined in real life? Have you zip lined in VR? I zip lined in The Climb, and it was amazing. I actually believe that the experience would in fact be much better if I could zip line in The Climb while simultaneously doing so in real-life. And unless you tried this event yourself, I can't see how you can assess that they just "shoe-horned" VR in to it.

Besides, there are things VR can help our minds achieve that we can't do in real life. What if you are zip lining (in VR) between two satellites in space? Our between to towering skyscrapers who peak above the clouds? Simulating that with real zip lining in a studio setup may very well be quite fascinating; and it is an experience that currently cannot be duplicated.

Also, you speak as if somehow the moment you zip line in VR, you magically sign all rights away to zip line for real lol. You do realize that you can do both, right? In the same day, even.

Your replies here remind me of some of the stuff I've seen in response to the Oculus GO advertisements. GO's tagline is, "Open Your Eyes." And the official video shows outdoors events like jumping out of airplanes. Every so often someone replies with something like, "Just go outside instead."

I don't get why people think that if you do something one way, that you can't do it another way too.

Besides, I really doubt that Amazon just "shoe horns" something in half-heartedly. They are known for the exact opposite, hence their global dominance. Although in related news, you can buy a shoe-horn from Amazon, fyi:

Amazon created a very specific experience to synchronize VR with the physical setup. That's not what "shoe horning" entails.

edited July 2018
    OmegaM4N said:
    That is a pointless argument, i can game, vr, AND enjoy physical activites, none of those three are mutually exclusive to each other,

Precisely the point I'm making to you. I can zipline in VR, play standard games, enjoy VR, AND zip line in the real outdoors. None of these things are mutually exclusive.

Which is why your comment here feels pointless:
    "why have a VR headset on and actually go down a zip line, going down any zip line will be miles better to actually enjoy with your own senses rather than with a headset on"

I pose to you:
    "why play a game where you make an avatar run around, running around outside will be miles better to actually enjoy with your own senses rather than with a controller and a screen."

For some reason don't you don't seem to want to get it lol

OmegaM4N said:
    i think it's a pointless thing to have a VR mask on closing off a actual real life expereince

Playing video games also closes off actual real life experiences. But as you said, you can do it all because these things are not mutually exclusive. If it's pointless to have a VR Mask on because you can do some of those things outside, then it's pointless to play any games whatsoever, because it's better to do those things outside.
    Nexus 6
    edited July 2018
    Forget it.....
  • Techy111Techy111 Posts: 5,175 Volunteer Moderator
    Never wiser words said  :D
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.
    And FlyInside Forum Admin.
    Flyinside Flight Simulator RELEASED.
  • przecinekprzecinek Posts: 587
    Nexus 6
    edited July 2018
    Zenbane said:
    Why would it not have positional tracking? It's using a Rift.

I've seen a vid of someone playing Dreadhalls with a Rift outdoors on a hoverboard lol
    Well you need an external camera to track Rift, and since all the processing is done in your backpack laptop this didn't seem feasible.

But rest assured lol :) They actually have some custom optical tracking. Not just for Rift but also for arms, legs and real objects. This means zip harness in VR matches zip harness in real life 1 to 1! :o Whaaaat! :o

VR scout says this should be a permanent VR theme park installation