cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to make augmented reality tech

hoppingbunny123
Rising Star
normally for augmented reality you need to take the distance of reality your looking at, then have the screen that shows the video a distance.
what distance the screen is from the eyes depends on the image in reality the augmented image is cast on.

thats why magic leaps glasses are a bad design because they need to have a way to show their video on real objects at multiple distances and their glasses have a fixed lens distance from the eyes.

so their glass will only work at some fixed optimum distance.

but with my idea its not dependent on the video being cast on a surface then looking through the surface at the image in reality, it uses mirrors.

here's a picture of my idea;

160dwndaoklr.jpg

the idea is it uses 4 mirrors per eye that take a image and reflect it at some angle.

mirror 1 and 2 reflect reality.
mirror 3 reflects a video image.
the eye sees the video image  on mirror 4.

the idea is mirror 3 video can scale to show the video at different distances using 2d video to show a 3d image like video games do.

this way you have static glasses and mirror and see a beautiful image in high definition of augmented reality.
5 REPLIES 5

hoppingbunny123
Rising Star
there is a constant speed of light, the first mirror captures light from the outside world, the second mirror captures light from the video, then the outside world and video are both reflected on the final mirror, the outside world being seen first is followed by the second light source from the video.

but this puts the light from the video nearer the eye, less space to move, so it wouldnt overlay theoretically. the outside world would be seen over the video picture.

so i, guessing here i can test later, that you put the picture of the video on the outside mirror, the picture of the real world on the inside mirror, and then the length difference will let the video be overlaid on top of the image from the outside world mirror.

then the video screen sending the image to the mirror that reflects video light only turns on light from the pixels that show the image not light from the entire monitor or else the outside world would be blocked by the light from the video.

and to do this reflecting you might need mirror prisms instead of mirrors.

i can test this length theory later i think.

hoppingbunny123
Rising Star
i did the test, i held two android phones in front of the mirror, i put the first video in the back and the second video in the front so the second phone took over half the image on the video from the first phone.

i didnt see the first phone that was being blocked by the second phone. its common sense. 

i reversed which phone was in front and the first phone covered the second phone. so i only saw part of the second phones video in the mirror.

so the glasses puts the reality in the mirror nearest the eyes to be the first phone in the test in the back, and the video on the glasses is on the farthest phone, then the image from the farthest phone will overlay on top of the image from the mirror nearest the eyes.

so the video in the farthest mirror has to only activate a limited number of pixels to send light to overlay on top of the mirror nearest the eyes. so both the farthest and nearest mirrors show an image to the eye as augmented reality.

hoppingbunny123
Rising Star
the video on the outside mirror thats sending a video picture shows a few pixels turning on might show the rest of the image from the outside mirror which would block the inside mirror.

but this is showing red green blue light. the eye doesnt see blue as well as it sees red and the eye sees green the most.
blue is closer to black, so i theorize if theres a shutter like in 3d glasses, flickering the light sent to the final mirror the eye sees, the outside mirror would show a colored image with a black surrounding but the eye wouldnt see the black surrounding it would see the color more.

then the reality flicking on and off has light and the eye would see this prominently.

i will redo my drawing to show what im talking about;

eqhlhb0srdl2.jpg

Anonymous
Not applicable
This is all completely over my head, but if you continue to experiment on that poor old puss I'm going to call the RSPCA lol 😛 😄

Digikid1
Consultant
Yeah. That’s not fair to the cat at all.  😄