New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Rift 1.29 PTC Release Notes

cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
edited July 2018 in Oculus Rift S and Rift
Rift 1.29 Public Test Channel Release Notes
  • Dash:
    • A new Belt: Improved hover states and materials give the belt a more modern look and feel. Come check it out!
    • We've added new contextual menus for panels within Dash. You can open them by aiming at a panel and pressing B or Y.
  • Home:
    • New performance improvements reduce load times and smooth rendering.
    • Animation for Custom Assets: Home now has basic animation support for custom assets. Models will now loop the first animation found in the .glb file. Note that Morph Target and Skinned animations are not currently supported. More information is available in the the Rift Core 2.0 beta user guide.
  • Oculus desktop app
    • Unknown sources: We are improving how we show 3rd party apps in your Library; for some apps, we are also giving users the ability to edit titles and add custom command prompts. 
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

Comments

• dburnedburne Posts: 2,878 Valuable Player
    edited July 2018
    @cybereality

Just got home and before seeing this put my Rift headset on and nothing, was starting to pull my hair out restarting the Oculus service, unplugging and plugging back in headset,  and worried my Rift had died. Headset would not show connected in Device Manager.

Finally I launched Oculus Home manually from the desktop shortcut, and saw on the monitor for Oculus Home there was a firmware update required. Was the firmware part of 1.29? After updating the firmware it rebooted the Rift and finally my headset was working once again - whew! I thought my Rift had bit the dust there for a bit.
    I always just let Oculus Home start automatically when putting headset on, hardly ever start Home manually which is why I had no clue what was going on. This might scare some other folks also - though I may be the only dumb one lol.

Might be a good idea to somehow get a pop up in the Rift Headset to just advise of this... I am sure there are others probably that will do the same as I do.
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    Yes, there are some limited situations where the software could get out of sync, like you've seen where the Oculus app updates but requires your attention to update the firmware. This is more of an edge case, but I do agree there could be a message window or some notification.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • MonstaahMonstaah Posts: 143
    Art3mis
    Wow, was not expecting animations so soon, sounds great.. Excuse me while I go check this out..lol
    PC Specs:

Black Box, with wires & some kind of electronicy stuff inside..
    oooh it even has lights!! =)
  • kzintzikzintzi Posts: 1,068
    Wintermute
    I see the Animations causing a rise in NSFW homes being built :tongue:

Though you are more than slightly incoherent, I agree with you Madam,
    a plum is a terrible thing to do to a nostril.
  • Digikid1Digikid1 Posts: 2,062 Valuable Player
    Noticed a lot of improved performance but still studders a wee bit 
  • kojackkojack Posts: 5,728 Volunteer Moderator
    edited July 2018
    I haven't fully tested yet, but it's looking like 1.29 fixes the bug from 1.27 that broke AutoOculusTouch, input can be tracked again by ovrInit_Invisible apps!

Edit: yep, tested it and AutoOculusTouch works again with 1.29!
  • HotWasabiPeasHotWasabiPeas Posts: 20 Oculus Start Member
    edited July 2018
    I am unable to pull any window out of the desktop with 1.29. This makes me a sad panda. :'(

Can someone confirm whether they also see this?

Edit: When I try, it just moves the whole desktop around instead.

Edit2: Also, assigning B and Y as context menu buttons is bad because that means we are unable to right-mouse-button in the desktop using the Touch controllers.
    Don't know if this is just coincidence or not...
    Ever since 1.29 installed I get errors upon first PC bootup with my Headset. Get error message in Win 10 that a USB device failed to initialize and not working properly.  Device Manager shows one of my two USB3 root hubs to be disabled as failed to initialize. Running them in the Innatek Card and showing the latest Windows drivers dated 6/8. Everything been rock solid for the last several months until yesterday when it happened for first time, which happened to be the same time I got 1.29.

A reboot of the PC gets it back and all is well. Would be curious if any others are experiencing this.
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
  • MadMax1998MadMax1998 Posts: 51
    Hiro Protagonist
    I got the firmware update last night too, pretty surprising since I've never seen any firmware updates happening before. Is there any info on what exactly was changed in the hardware?

Some feedback on the new Dash:

- I like the cleaner look of it.
    - Finally the clock is instantly visible! Thank you!
    - However, the hover icons above the clock are veeeery small and hard to aim at. Please make those bigger if possible.

And, finally, a question regarding performance: you have changed the "graphics" tab in the Dash settings panel, where we now get an "Anti-Aliasing" option to turn on/off. Does this affect only Home or everything displayed in Rift? I.e., is this a one-size-fits-all anti-aliasing solution for all apps or really just for Home? And where have the Home-specific graphics settings gone?
    I got the firmware update last night too, pretty surprising since I've never seen any firmware updates happening before. Is there any info on what exactly was changed in the hardware?

Some feedback on the new Dash:

- I like the cleaner look of it.
    - Finally the clock is instantly visible! Thank you!
    - However, the hover icons above the clock are veeeery small and hard to aim at. Please make those bigger if possible.

And, finally, a question regarding performance: you have changed the "graphics" tab in the Dash settings panel, where we now get an "Anti-Aliasing" option to turn on/off. Does this affect only Home or everything displayed in Rift? I.e., is this a one-size-fits-all anti-aliasing solution for all apps or really just for Home? And where have the Home-specific graphics settings gone?
    Bingo on all points....except the AA settings which have always been there.  I used them a couple weeks ago.

Like the new watch as well....although Fitbit may come after you for it.  LOL!!!!!!!
    Hiro Protagonist
    Okay, my bad. If the AA setting was there before, then what does it do?
    Just gets rid of "Jaggies".  Basically it smooths out diagonal lines to that they appear smoother.
  • Knightshade.SteveKnightshade.Steve Posts: 80
    Hiro Protagonist
    lovely, Dash mouse control please.
    Hiro Protagonist
    Digikid1 said:
    Just gets rid of "Jaggies".  Basically it smooths out diagonal lines to that they appear smoother.
    Yeah I know that's what AA does in principle ;) But my original question was, is this AA option affecting ALL apps running in the Rift or ONLY Home? Because it does seem like it would be a setting for everything shown in the Rift.
    oh.  On that note I am not sure.  I am guessing just in Home since it is only in Home that you can access it.

Just a guess though. ;)
    Digikid1 said:
    Yeah I know that's what AA does in principle ;) But my original question was, is this AA option affecting ALL apps running in the Rift or ONLY Home? Because it does seem like it would be a setting for everything shown in the Rift.
    I am pretty sure it is only in Home, seems I recall this question getting asked and answered back when they first put that option in.
    Perhaps Cyber can confirm.
    Don

Hiro Protagonist
    Cool, thanks guys!
    The graphics options are for Home itself. It doesn't apply to games or other apps.
    The graphics options are for Home itself. It doesn't apply to games or other apps.
    Ah.  I figured as much.  Thanks Cyber.
  • TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 1,530
    Project 2501
    edited July 2018
    If you are using Oculus Tray Tool (OTT) and already have global super sampling (SS) set above 1.0, say 1.5, how does this effect Oculus home graphics settings?  Like some other apps/games they are often additive (or multiplied).  Thanks.

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti (from my old AGA), 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors, Vive Pro, Vive Cosmos, Vive Wireless.

• RaunhoferRaunhofer Posts: 6
    NerveGear
    Some points about the new Dash:
    • A visible clock is a great addition.
    • I like the new context menu.
    • Opening transition of the context menu looks pretty buggy as it creates a hole to the window behind.
    • Other animations too are a bit painful to watch as they don't seem fully smooth.
    • Oh no, where is the quick launch menu? I really liked how you could launch games fast with it, no matter what window was on top.
    • The new volume/reset buttons are way too small.
    • I actually preferred the previous glass-like look of the Dash, but this is fine too. Maybe skins some day?
    And idea:
    • Could the context menu have a "minimize all windows" button? I often like to hide all tabs and doing it with a single click would be great.
  • MesserjackMesserjack Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    edited July 2018
    Hello everybody,

have the problem that since the firmware update apparently every few seconds for the fractional part of a moment the connection to the touch controllers is lost.

That does not just happen in motion. Even if I immobile in HOME in the headset just watch the hands twitch every few seconds and change for a moment the position. In games the controller disappears for a brief moment.

--

EDIT: Reinstalled USB Drivers and it worked fine again  :s:'(
  • TaomynTaomyn Posts: 39
    Brain Burst
    Edit2: Also, assigning B and Y as context menu buttons is bad because that means we are unable to right-mouse-button in the desktop using the Touch controllers.

I agree with this, the "press and hold" of the main trigger is not always working especially with system tray icons and the browser.
    ---
    AMD Ryzen 7 2700X CPU | Asus RoG Strix X470-I Gaming Motherboard | Corsair Vengeance RGB 32GB DDR4-3200 RAM | MSI GTX 1070Ti Gaming 8G GPU | Corsair Force MP500 M.2 120GB SSD | Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SDD | Corsair H100i v2 Cooler | Corsair 250D Case | Corsair RMx 750 80+ Gold PSU

dburne said:
    Ever since 1.29 installed I get errors upon first PC bootup with my Headset. Get error message in Win 10 that a USB device failed to initialize and not working properly.  Device Manager shows one of my two USB3 root hubs to be disabled as failed to initialize. Running them in the Innatek Card and showing the latest Windows drivers dated 6/8. Everything been rock solid for the last several months until yesterday when it happened for first time, which happened to be the same time I got 1.29.

A reboot of the PC gets it back and all is well. Would be curious if any others are experiencing this.
    For whatever reason, this seems to have all cleared up for me over the last couple of days.
    Probably gremlins LOL.
    Don

• Achilles007Achilles007 Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    dburne said:

Hallo Dburne bei mir ist genau das selbe Proplem Aufgetreten nur das sich der Fehler nicht durch einen Neustart Lösen lässt

• TaomynTaomyn Posts: 39
    Brain Burst
    I am unable to pull any window out of the desktop with 1.29. This makes me a sad panda. :'(
    I figured this one out - you have to press both triggers on the same controller to pull a single app out, press the main trigger to choose it in Windows, then keeping it down press the other one to pull it out as before.
    ---
    AMD Ryzen 7 2700X CPU | Asus RoG Strix X470-I Gaming Motherboard | Corsair Vengeance RGB 32GB DDR4-3200 RAM | MSI GTX 1070Ti Gaming 8G GPU | Corsair Force MP500 M.2 120GB SSD | Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SDD | Corsair H100i v2 Cooler | Corsair 250D Case | Corsair RMx 750 80+ Gold PSU

Hiro Protagonist
    edited July 2018
    dburne said:

Hallo Dburne bei mir ist genau das selbe Proplem Aufgetreten nur das sich der Fehler nicht durch einen Neustart Lösen lässt

Hey guys, try booting your PC *without* the headset connected to USB. Look in Device Manager and see if the USB controllers are all initialized. They should be, because if the firmware update for the Rift causes them not to initialize, then unplugging the headset before booting should resolve this.
    *Then* after checking the USB controllers, plug the headset in. Now see if the PC recognizes it.

I use an Inatek card as well, but I never boot my system with the headset connected (for other reasons), so I always connect it after booting. And I have not had any problems with my USB ports after the firmware update.

If this still doesn't fix things: do you use "Fast Startup"? That would explain why a REBOOT fixes the issue while a BOOT from shutdown causes it. Right click Start, go to Power Options, in the new window (Windows settings app) click the text at the bottom or to the right saying "more power options" (or similar). Another window will open, showing your power plan. Select "Choose what the power buttons do" on the left, then click "Change settings that are currently unavailable" to unlock the Fast Startup setting. Then UNcheck "Turn on Fast Startup". Here's a link to this... https://www.windowscentral.com/how-disable-windows-10-fast-startup

Shorter alternative: open a command prompt with admin rights and type: powercfg /h off

I don't use Fast Startup and I've never had problems with the card, USB ports or the headset not connecting. But if you use Fast Startup and shut your PC down, then boot it back up (with the headset connected), it might cause the issue.

So try these two things and report back!
    edited July 2018
    Original post has been updated:
    • Oculus desktop app
      • Unknown sources: We are improving how we show 3rd party apps in your Library; for some apps, we are also giving users the ability to edit titles and add custom command prompts. 
    edited July 2018
    Thanks MadMax, in my case the issue seems to have resolved itself now.
    Not sure why, but it is not doing it anymore.

And no I do not use Fast Startup. Thanks again!
    Don

dburne said:

Hey guys, try booting your PC *without* the headset connected to USB. Look in Device Manager and see if the USB controllers are all initialized. They should be, because if the firmware update for the Rift causes them not to initialize, then unplugging the headset before booting should resolve this.
    *Then* after checking the USB controllers, plug the headset in. Now see if the PC recognizes it.

I use an Inatek card as well, but I never boot my system with the headset connected (for other reasons), so I always connect it after booting. And I have not had any problems with my USB ports after the firmware update.

If this still doesn't fix things: do you use "Fast Startup"? That would explain why a REBOOT fixes the issue while a BOOT from shutdown causes it. Right click Start, go to Power Options, in the new window (Windows settings app) click the text at the bottom or to the right saying "more power options" (or similar). Another window will open, showing your power plan. Select "Choose what the power buttons do" on the left, then click "Change settings that are currently unavailable" to unlock the Fast Startup setting. Then UNcheck "Turn on Fast Startup". Here's a link to this... https://www.windowscentral.com/how-disable-windows-10-fast-startup

Shorter alternative: open a command prompt with admin rights and type: powercfg /h off

I don't use Fast Startup and I've never had problems with the card, USB ports or the headset not connecting. But if you use Fast Startup and shut your PC down, then boot it back up (with the headset connected), it might cause the issue.

So try these two things and report back!
    Well this morning it happened again. So I went in to double check, and apparently here recently Windows had decided to re-enable Fast Boot. So I have disabled again and hopefully now that will take care of it.

Thanks,
    Don