Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HDMI CONNECTION CHALLANGE!

Scavo
Honored Guest
Good day all!

Lets get straight to the point. 

Laptop specs: ASUS Zephyrus M G501 (VR Ready)
Processor: Intel® Core™ i7-8750H, up to 3.9GHz on all 6 cores
Graphics: Gforce GTX 1070 8GB
Memory: 16GB DDR4 2666MHz
Oculus CV1

So the issue im getting is the typical HMDI not detected.
There are a few strange things happen when i connect the rift..
1. its instantly recognized as a second monitor and extends screen to headset
2. when i check device manager its recognized in monitors as generic PnP Monitor
3. all audio goes to rift

Of course ive been doing some research before coming here so these are the things ive tried so far that DIDNT work.

1. update Nvidea drivers
2. turn back drivers as early as possible
3. download nvidea driver 388.59 >> unable to instal
4. adjust PhysX settings in all possible ways
5. reconnect hdmi, both at pc and headset
6. use thunderbolt connector to HDMI (4K) works! but i get red and blue lines 
7. tried all the above while projecting the rift in duplicate screen, extended screen and screen off
8. all of the above after restarting pc and disconnecting everything
9. in device manager > universal serial bus controllers > extensible host controller switch off option at power management 

So yea, its a challange and im out of ideas. 

Please, if anyone has an idea i havent tried before do let me know. cos now my rift is just collecting dust 😞

Dan
1 REPLY 1

GATOxVoS
Heroic Explorer
After a quick look at the manufacturer's website, it states that the laptop uses "Optimus" technology, which in the past has been the issue in getting Rifts to connect to laptops. Though, it does say that you can "choose between the two" (Optimus vs. "Discrete Graphics mode"), and so I would try forcing "Discrete Graphics Mode" first, then possibly even uninstalling any Optimus software you have (uninstall at your own risk; I do not know if Optimus tech is required for the laptop to function correctly).

To note though: Although your PC may say "VR Ready," it does not necessarily mean it is "Oculus Ready." The experiences you have described make it sound like it could be the common issue with laptops, in that your HDMI port isn't connected directly to your graphics card, but instead is connected to the integrated graphics.

If switching Optimus mode off doesn't work, you should search around and see if anyone else with the same laptop has had the "hdmi connected to iGPU" issue and see if they've come to the conclusion I've stated above. 

P.S.! Reading further down on the same web page, the laptop claims to have "Plug-and-play compatibility with leading VR headsets..." with a person wearing the Rift HMD clearly underneath, so if all else fails I would contact the manufacturer and ask them what their definition of "Plug and play" is, along with how they got the Rift system to work on the laptop.

PC Specs:
Intel i7-6700k @ 4.5 Ghz
Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming 3 Motherboard
RTX 2080 Ti - MSI VENTUS
16 GB CAS-10 RAM @ 2400 MHz
Startech 4-port/4-USB controller add-on card
850W Corsair HX850 PSU
4-Sensor, Roomscale Setup