Hellblade VR Trailer — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Hellblade VR Trailer

Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 3,464 Valuable Player
edited July 2018 in General
Ninja Theory are bringing VR to Hellblade, or is that Hellblade to VR. Yikes! Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice will come to VR on Oculus Rift and HTC Vive on July 31st! If you own or buy Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice on Steam, the VR Edition will be included for free!

System Specs: RTX 2080 ti , i9 9900K CPU, 16 GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.

Comments

• RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 2,327 Valuable Player
    edited July 2018
    This may be the greatest news all year - apart from the part where they say you'll need a GTX 1080 :# , sigh - guess that means goodbye SS 2.0 and hello SS 1.2 :'( 

All settings maxed the GTX 1060 can barely run the pancake version in full HD, so they are probably not kidding about that 1080 for the VR version:

I own the GOG version, slightly annoying if I'll have to buy the game again. Also this game is surely not for everyone - it's for adults and one of the most disturbing games ever made - like in schizophrenia the character you play is constantly hearing voices (auditory hallucinations). 

One trailer and some info for those who do not know this awesome game:

Here's an excerpt from an interview with the developers:

"How does Senua’s psychosis fit in with her backstory?

PF: To some extent, Senua has always seen the world differently from others, but the idea is that the profound trauma she’s experienced has triggered these symptoms. Because of her experiences, Senua has lost touch with the reality of those around her. That’s really the formal definition of psychosis. We’re all more or less prone to psychosis, depending on how we view and experience the world, but trauma can often act as a trigger.

How did the latest research and thinking around psychosis feed into the game’s development?

PF: We wanted to represent symptoms such as voice-hearing and hallucinations, but also to go below the surface and explore what we know about normal perception. We all tend to think that we have a clear representation of reality, but most of the time our minds are actually making it up, deciding what should be there rather than what is there. It’s a kind of controlled hallucination. This idea, too, is deeply embedded in the game: the player becomes sensitive to the visual clues and illusions around them as they progress through the world.

Psychosis used to be thought of as this extreme phenomenon that was completely separate from the normal experience of the world. But we are coming to realise that there’s a continuum, and all of us are prone to becoming separate from reality. Hopefully this game will help to demonstrate that."
    Source: http://www.sciencefocus.com/article/mind/hellblade-senua’s-sacrifice-psychosis-interview

And: 

"Cambridge-based Ninja Theory – which is the Bafta-nominated studio behind award-winning games such as DmC: Devil May Cry, Enslaved: Odyssey to The West and Heavenly Sword – spent three years developing the game.

Paul Fletcher, the Bernard Wolfe Professor of Health Neuroscience and Psychiatrist at the University of Cambridge, who helped consult the team, said:

“It became apparent to me that they [Ninja Theory]  were doing something that was risky but important, and potentially valuable in representing experiences that most people find deeply alien. The fact that they are doing so in a first-person subjective viewpoint in a game setting, which demands that the player fully engages with the experience rather than simply passively observing it, really excites me. Indeed, it provides a great opportunity to show, in the context of the game, that all of us are creating our own worlds and realities all the time.”

Tameem Antoniades, Co-founder of Ninja Theory added: “Our goal in Hellblade was to let you see the world from the eyes of another and engage you in an important subject.

"Psychosis is still steeped in stigma but it is a deeply fascinating subject and deserves to be explored, experienced and shared. While a videogame can only go so far, we worked with service-users, voice-hearers and other groups collaboratively for 2 years and far from restricting our creativity, it has opened our eyes and greatly enriched the experience."
    Source: https://www.thesun.co.uk/tech/4197522/hellblade-senua-is-based-on-real-hallucinations-suffered-by-people-with-psychosis-is-it-the-most-terrifying-game-ever/

Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz boost, 11 Ghz ram); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Oculus Rift CV1 - nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
  • KlodsBrikKlodsBrik Posts: 1,177
    Wintermute
    Oh my god ... So we will be able to feel her pain as well now.
    There is a good chance that this is gonna be freaking awesome in VR.
    I already got it so it´s like free candy for me.
    Be good, die great !
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 13,877 Valuable Player
    I'm really looking forward to this! I've never played the original; and I look forward to the VR version becoming a new addiction.
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • pyroth309pyroth309 Posts: 1,454
    Project 2501
    Whoa, this has me pretty excited. 
    Wintermute
    edited July 2018
    VRgameplay:

Be good, die great !
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    I played the original game when it came out. Probably one of the best titles I've played in a long time. Amazing graphics and fully original story and content. Really dark too.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,045 Valuable Player
    Will this be released on the Oculus store?
    Wintermute
    From what I can see, it will only be on steam. I could be wrong.
     Im really looking forward as to how the game mechanics work in VR, sure sounds like the devs has put alot of effort into making the game feel as beutiful and stressfull, as it is in 2D.
     And it does seem that they have made a great job from the gameplay vid above.

Looking forward to jump in, thats for sure !
    Be good, die great !
  • nroskonrosko Posts: 954
    Neo
    RedRizla said:
    Will this be released on the Oculus store?
    Very doubtful which is a shame as many will miss it. 
  • MowTinMowTin Posts: 1,407
    Project 2501
    The great thing is that this is the FULL game. Not many full games in VR. 
    Neo
    It's cool if this works out as it will show a 3rd person game can work ok in vr. I know it's not the first but there is still this idea that it doesn't work, maybe one day we could get witcher 3 in vr. On the downside they clearly state that they will make no money from this & are doing it just because they like VR. I think that few other devs will do this.   
  • jayhawkjayhawk Posts: 783
    3Jane
    nrosko said:
    It's cool if this works out as it will show a 3rd person game can work ok in vr. I know it's not the first but there is still this idea that it doesn't work, 
    Not sure where the hell you're even getting that from. 3rd person has worked well over and over again for years now. Chronos was brilliant. 
    Neo
    jayhawk said:
    nrosko said:
    It's cool if this works out as it will show a 3rd person game can work ok in vr. I know it's not the first but there is still this idea that it doesn't work, 
    Not sure where the hell you're even getting that from. 3rd person has worked well over and over again for years now. Chronos was brilliant. 
    Chronos is brilliant but got criticized for its fixed camera, but i'm talking more about over the shoulder first person like in Hellblade. I can only think of Edge of Nowhere that did it, what others are there? Also Capcom said the Resident Evil2 remake would not work well in VR due to the over shoulder 3rd person. 
  • PhoenixSpyderPhoenixSpyder Posts: 217
    Nexus 6
    Glad to see they actually support touch controls. Vive owners got snubbed on their controllers though, but will prob still be able to use a gamepad.

Looking forward to this!! If I can pull myself away from Skyrim VR...
    i7 8700k @ 5ghz, Asus Rog Strix Z370-E Gaming, MSI 1080ti Gaming X @ 2050Ghz + 11.4Ghz ram, 32 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2666 Ghz, Adata SX900 SSD, Adata SX6000NP M.2 SSD, Adata SU650 SSD, Toshiba 3TB HD, Oculus Rift, Odyssey Plus, Windows 10 Pro 1803

"Presently developing a VR project (outside of my profession) due to the lack of availability of what I would like to experience" Details in a year or two...
  • Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 3,464 Valuable Player
    Listen to this man, he knows what he's talking about. B)

System Specs: RTX 2080 ti , i9 9900K CPU, 16 GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.
    Wintermute
    The last niggle: the only supported controllers are Oculus Touch, gamepads, and keyboard. Vive controllers were likely left out considering the nature of quick inputs needed during fighting sequences; a touchpad simply won’t do. Hopefully Vive users have a spare Xbox One gamepad lying around, because otherwise you’ll be using a standard WASD layout, which isn’t really a great way of playing.

Who would have thought that wands would be left behind..

Be good, die great !
  • bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 3,808 Valuable Player
    Listen to this man, he knows what he's talking about. B)
    i wouldnt go that far :p

I totally agree btw...  3rd person actually removes some of the issues with motion sickness.... Witcher 3 VR would be fab, as would tombraider VR.   i will be buying hellblade VR, and will be a treat to myself as soon as i buy my next gpu - hurry up gtx 1180!!!.  The devs say they will make no money off this.

imo everyone who does not have this already (which would be me) should make a review and in it state it was the vr patch which encouraged the purchase.  We need the devs to know there are a group of people who WILL buy high quality titles because of VR.
    RE is the same. i flatly will not buy it without VR, but will be day1 purchase when it is added.

without some form of metric to be able to feedback to the devs they will never be sure how many sales they made due to VR.
    I have moaned a lot about MS lately but i am surprised they have not jumped in and insisted this was paid DLC, so i have to give them some props for that.  I hope they dont dabble too much with Ninja Theory and break a winning formula.  Hopefully they learned from RARE but i digress.
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
    KlodsBrik said:
    The last niggle: the only supported controllers are Oculus Touch, gamepads, and keyboard. Vive controllers were likely left out considering the nature of quick inputs needed during fighting sequences; a touchpad simply won’t do. Hopefully Vive users have a spare Xbox One gamepad lying around, because otherwise you’ll be using a standard WASD layout, which isn’t really a great way of playing.

fingers crossed it will get knuckles patch when it eventually comes out.
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
  • PabbertPabbert Posts: 223
    Nexus 6
    KlodsBrik said:

You can assign controls in steam so I`m sure it will work with the wands with a few tweaks. much like Doom VFR for Rift users.
    Neo
    Zenbane said:
    nrosko said:
    Chronos is brilliant but got criticized for its fixed camera, but i'm talking more about over the shoulder first person like in Hellblade. I can only think of Edge of Nowhere that did it, what others are there? Also Capcom said the Resident Evil2 remake would not work well in VR due to the over shoulder 3rd person. 

lol - Chronos was only criticized by people who have a natural inclination to criticize. Being critical online is all the rage these days; but that act of criticism in itself does not hold any merit anyway.

I thoroughly enjoyed both Chronos and Edge of Nowhere despite their 3rd person camera. Other great titles that employ the same camera include Lucky's Tale, and cross-platform titles like Along Together. Heck, even Racing Sims like Project Cars allowed over the shoulder camera. And there's plenty of VR Flight games that use this type of camera system for both the Rift and GO.

I do recall that the "criticism" surrounding the 3rd Person Camera VR experience with games like Chronos was all about how "it breaks immersion." But those same people don't have a problem with the plague of immersion breaking elements from titles like, SkyrimVR. The gaming experience is filled with a spammy Menu system and the inability to actually grab anything... but that didn't stop SkyrimVR from getting high praises.

I've completely lost faith in mainstream reviews for VR titles. People are either fishing for clickthroughs or Likes/Subscriptions. That's why I look to this community. I love reviews from ShadowMask, and I enjoy writing my own reviews as well. More recently, I enjoy the thoroughness of posters like RuneSR2.

Some posters seem more interested in reflecting the mainstream rhetoric, or simply latch on to "ideals" about a game instead of judging the game on its own merit.
    Chronos was criticized more for the disorienting nature of the camera angles in relation to your controls as you first walk into the room. I think it was fair criticism of the game but like i said i'm not talking about fixed cameras. 
    Lucky's Tale got criticized for its barf inducing floaty camera so not a good example. I'm talking about reviews & opinions on steam & oculus home btw whether you take any notice of them isn't relevant to the discussion.  
    Racing & flying sims have a first person option which is was 99% of VR users use so again not a good example. 
    Fact is there are few games that employ a similar camera to Hellblade & i have seen it time & time again people dismiss the idea of games like witcher working in VR & already gave you an example of a developer saying the same thing. 
    Remember i said 'there is an idea that they do not work well not that they do not.
    lucky's tale barf inducing?  that is the 1st time i have seen this i think.  i have no issue with it, never had.... (unlike somegames)
    Neo
    lucky's tale barf inducing?  that is the 1st time i have seen this i think.  i have no issue with it, never had.... (unlike somegames)
    read the Oculus reviews almost every other comment mentions it. 
  • PabbertPabbert Posts: 223
    Nexus 6
    nrosko said:

I guess that could be as it was one of the main games when the Oculus came out. Peoples first reaction to VR is to be a little woozy at first I guess.

I never issues with it, I hope the second game moves to VR

• JeremyC85JeremyC85 Posts: 222
    Nexus 6
    I played the original game when it came out. Probably one of the best titles I've played in a long time. Amazing graphics and fully original story and content. Really dark too.

couldn't agree more. Might be the best graphics + use of audio in a game to date. HOWEVER: I literately JUST beat this on my PC! If I would have known I would have waited! Guess I'll give it another go! 
    nrosko said:
    that means nothing however without knowing peoples VR legs......... Assetto Corsa made my father in-law feel peaky, but most people who are ok with VR in general have no such problems.

i think 3rd person and isometric 3D stuff is way easier on vr legs than 1st person.
    Neo
    nrosko said:
    that means nothing however without knowing peoples VR legs......... Assetto Corsa made my father in-law feel peaky, but most people who are ok with VR in general have no such problems.

i think 3rd person and isometric 3D stuff is way easier on vr legs than 1st person.
    I don't think one format is any more vomit inducing than the other, i think unexpected camera movement can cause it for some people & that was really the issue for LT. If you read the reviews there are those who have prev experience of other titles & yet it made them ill & other with not much VR history & didn't have an issue but it clearly is an issue as its a consistent comment and as such probably not a great example of 3rd person. 
    If you watch the interview for Hellblade they talk about the work they had to do to get it to work & it looks like the way it works is similar to Edge of nowhere. So going back to my original point there are very few games in VR doing this where you are following behind the character in 3rd person & hopefully this game will encourage more.  
    edited July 2018
    Why is there two versions on steam for HellBlade, if they said they were adding it to the existing HellBlade? There's a normal version and a VR version..
    It is free tho right if you buy core game? Maybe it is so they can get accurate numbers for the numbers of vr users?
    It is free tho right if you buy core game? Maybe it is so they can get accurate numbers for the numbers of vr users?

Maybe the VR version saves you installing the 2D version making the file smaller? Anyone know?