cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Marvel Powers United: Reviews and Impressions

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
Feel free to use this thread to post your thoughts on the game, as well as discuss different strategies, tips, tricks, etc.

A quick overview of my initial thoughts & impressions:
  • At release, I would give MPU a rating of 8/10. I remove 2 points only because the game really needs a strong Campaign.
  • The intro has a Prologue experience that is very much "epic campaign" style. This prologue leaves you craving more. There's little doubt that we'll see future updates for this epic campaign style coming to MPU (much like we've seen with The Unspoken), but for now... after the prologue you are essentially playing a multiplayer battle royale.
  • MPU is not just another wave Shooter. I would best describe this as, The Unspoken meets Robo Recall.
  • Playing as different characters does yield different "physical" strategies. If you want to be Spider Man, then get your "ring finger" ready, because you'll be spraying webs using the Grip button. If you want to play as Thor, then get not just your Arm ready for lots of swinging (think "hammer smashed faces") but also your pointer finger ready for lots of trigger lightning blasts. If you want to play as the Hulk, get your shoulders and legs ready for constant action.
  • Characters have a unique list of Powers, each of which are executed and activated differently. There's a progression system in place to reward you for mastering your Powers. There's a wide variety of achievements and unlocks available; from "character poses," to unique Outfits, to decorations for your space station (the entire game has you and your friends running around a 2-story space station above the Earth).
  • You can fly! When I first loaded the game I played as Spider Man. I ended up jumping atop a high pedestal and shooting webs down at the enemies. I thought I was so cool... until Star Lord and Dr. Strange literally "flew" by my head. In my next game I loaded up Thor, and sure enough... I was able to flying overhead and send my hammer and lightning down upon foes.
  • Teamwork is required. The objectives in each map involve more than just blasting enemies away until the end. You have to coordinate your attacks in order to achieve victory (defending multiple silo's at once). You also have to retrieve various objects and return them to a location in order to succeed. Something that can't be done easily without teamwork. The same goes for boss battles. While in their current form they are not overly complex, it is really easy for your entire group to get destroyed. You have to pay attention to your environment as well as help Revive fallen comrades.
I've seen 2 unique strategies so far, and there are certainly plenty more to be found:
  • When defending silo's, you can use Thor and spin your hammer rapidly, using it to deflect projectiles. Captain America's shield works well for defense too.
  • When fighting a boss,  you can have Spiderman focus on 'web binding' which makes it easier to hit the villains. I was playing as Hulk and I pounded Loki's spine for several seconds without taking damage because we had a Spiderman that knew his way with a web!

So that's the quick review. Here's a lengthier breakdown of the experience:

Note that my machine is not very high-end. I have a 980 GPU and for most of these initial screenshots, the game settings were at "low" graphic detail and low resolution. I ended up increasing the settings to "medium" with 70% resolution. Things began to look much crisper without sacrificing performance. However, if you have a beefy VR GPU then you can enjoy this game at its highest graphic detail and res.

The entire experience begins with a fantastic single-player prologue (a campaign). You start off choosing either Captain America or Black Widow. As you progress throughout the campaign you will encounter other heroes and all of the villains. It's a wonderful introduction to bringing the Marvel Universe in to Virtual Reality.

My absolute favorite part is when Captain Marvel asked me to take her hand,

wye9k3jmw93n.jpg

Once I gripped her hand, there was a stunning sequence where I was holding her shoulder as she flew me to cruiser in the sky. That experience is EXACTLY what I was wanting out of a Superhero-based VR game,

4piyg1dgod0q.jpg

I tried to take a screenshot of me looking "down" during this flight, but the visuals are hard to capture properly because you are engulfed in Captain Marvel's flame. But when you try it, I'm sure you'll fully appreciate this experience.

Next... you're greeted by Thanos and his crew. I have to say that the entire sequence really did remind me of how lucky it is to experience this stage of Virtual Reality.

7dzdx32pxuiq.jpg

If you're a fan of games like "From Other Suns" then you'll also appreciate the fact that you can run around a space station with a nice view of Earth.

vcp5tcq8san5.jpg

This is where you'll spend most of your time as you progress through several aspects of the game.  You even get to hang out with baby Groot!

wwqhoy3yhbmm.jpg

One of your goals is to collect shards of the Cosmic Cube, while also unlocking collectibles and various custom attire for your favorite heroes. In the prologue you are limited to 2 characters, but once you enter this aspect of the game you can pick from the full list of Super Heroes. I'll update this thread at a later time with that list.

Each hero plays differently. Some of those differences are slight, others are drastic. For example, playing the Hulk is absolutely nothing like playing Spiderman. The Hulk is incredibly unique because your entire view changes.  You are a giant and everything will scale down for you, including the other super heroes. It's pretty badass, I have to admit.

There's a screen for each character that shows exactly how to use your Touch Controllers in order to utilize a character's full range of abilities,

8zt3axmc7cky.jpg

There are also screens that show your level progression with each ability, and what it will take for you to progress to the next level.

75vgsplz9f91.jpg

m2iiwml5az0u.jpg

Fighting the villains isn't overly complex, however, with some strategy and coordinated teamwork, the experience can be very rewarding. It's easy to stay away from the villains and just projectile attack them to death. However, getting up-close-and-personal is pretty damn fun.

Venom, for example, looks great up close. And his attacks are very well implemented.

yaqoobe6qr9a.jpg

pquzabck57az.jpg

Overall, this game has a worthy addiction factor if you're looking for fast-paced battle royale combat. Getting a good group of players together creates a highly rewarding experience. Especially once you start using combo attacks, where certain Superhero abilities compliment each other nicely.

I am still going through the list of Heroes, but so far the Hulk is the only one who can grab enemies with his bare hands and have some real fun with their bodies!

pvjt29vkjdwt.png

My favorite thing about MPU is that it has set a new "baseline standard" for VR experiences in terms of "context" and "content." For example, now it is going to be commonplace to have Spiderman randomly run in front of you blasting his webs...

bcnqo4iypdel.jpg

This is the "new normal." And I like it!

Not to mention that "superhero selfies" (which happen at the end of every mission) are also a new normal; which often leads to lots of laughing between Players.

s4d03zk2tkky.jpg

MPU is well-worth the price of admission. It's made not only for VR from the ground up, but it's made for those Touch Controllers. Solo play is possible for every aspect of the game (so far). However, it is not as rewarding as playing with others. If you're looking for Player's to join, feel free to use this thread to coordinate playtimes.

Happy hunting!
78 REPLIES 78

vanfanel
Heroic Explorer

You are right depending on who you select actually does alter the way you play the game especially if you are a huge comic/marvel fan.  Selecting melee fighters like hulk and wolverine will wear you out.  They do have range attacks but you're not playing them for that. When I played wolverine I kept popping my claws for so long.  I wished they added a little "snikt" in there 🙂  Overall I'm enjoying the game immensely. I really hope they continue to add to this.

A little tip and call out to robo recall.  You can catch rockets and
throw them back at the enemies.  I'm not sure if everyone can do this
but I did it with captain marvel.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
I noticed that when I used Thor's hammer to block missiles while the Hammer is spinning, it would send them back to the enemy. As opposed to just hitting the missile directly with the Hammer. Cool stuff!

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
"My absolute favorite part is when Captain Marvel asked me to take her hand."

It's funny zenator likes to act big and tough around here, but the reality is he's just a big girls blouse in tune with his inner child. Especially after swooning over Captain Marvel. 

😛 

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
I haven't had the chance to try the game yet - it finished downloading late last night (I've got a free internet connection, paid for by my workplace, but it's slow - took me 8 hours to download the game). Great to know the game plays well on a 980, my performance probably won't bee better when activating high levels of SS.
I won't have the time to try to game before this evening, when the kids are sleeping, sigh.
BTW, nice screenshots - textures look good.

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

SkScotchegg
Expert Trustee
I'm also really impressed with this game so far, only got to play it for about an hour last night, did the prologue as Captain America and then I played multiplayer coop against AI as Spider man, Hulk and Deadpool. I didn't like spiderman as much as I thought I would, the Hulk looked amazing but I prefer ranged classes so Deadpool was the best character so far for me. 

Graphics - 10/10 - Some of the best I've seen so far in VR and it says in settings my graphics is set to low on GTX1060.
Gameplay - 9/10
Animations - 10/10 
VR arms and body - 10/10 - The best VR arms and body I've ever seen!!! WOW!!! NEW VR standard! 

A few issues did arise, sometimes the game wouldn't launch, I had to exit and try a 2nd time, it always seems to launch the 2nd time. And I did get occasional stuttering in game, like performance issues, like my PC was finding it hard to load the game. At certain points in battle it would just freeze for a second and then resume. But I let the game off with all these issues because I enjoyed it so much so I didn't let it bother me and I still had a great time. And performance will probably get better over time and I'll eventually upgrade from 1060 to 1080.

When I looked down at my Hulk arms I was so impressed! the way the arms, wrist, hands and muscles move! I thought the VR arms and hands in Lone Echo was good but this game probably has the best VR hands and arms I've ever seen so far.

I can't wait to play this game again tonight, the first heroes I'm going to try is Thor, Dr Strange and Star Lord. 🙂

EDIT: Question for you guys, does this game have multiplayer as in PVP or only 4 player coop VS AI?
UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Rift CV1 & Rift S - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

VR arms and body - 10/10 - The best VR arms and body I've ever seen!!! WOW!!! NEW VR standard! 

Awesome - VR devs really need to design more arms - like in Lone Echo and in Discovering Space 2. I really dislike only getting hands or having my arms cut off at the elbow. If the game gives me VR arms, works with SS 2.0 and has great textures - I'm in  😄

Why do so many persons care so much about gameplay? I just like being present in the VR world 😉

(No, still haven't tried the game, although it has been installed on my rig, maybe I should sedate the kids? - That was a joke) 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary

RuneSR2 said:
(No, still haven't tried the game, although it has been installed on my rig, maybe I should sedate the kids? - That was a joke) 

If they are old enough, just give them Fortnite to play. Works a treat.

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

RuneSR2 said:

If they are old enough, just give them Fortnite to play. Works a treat.

A nice suggestion, unfortunately it wouldn't work - right now my 10-year-old son uses my VR rig to play Fortnite. He says it's the only PC in the house where he gets a constant 60 fps whether or not he uses the lowest or epic settings...  I usually kick him out of the Oculus Portal Room at 8 (PM)  o:)

maka1870
Honored Guest
decent game well polished, why didnt it ship with single player campaign
needs a story mode .