TP Cast for Beat Saber? — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

TP Cast for Beat Saber?

Vic_Vic_ Posts: 34
Brain Burst
I play Beat Saber like a wild animal swinging all over the place, it's a lot more fun to dance instead of just standing there slicing boxes, so I was wondering if the TP Cast is suitable for me. As I'm already swinging my head around I'm afraid the added weight of the TP cast might pull the HMD around with it and I already wear my HMD tight as it is. I'm also wondering if the response time is fast enough to keep up with Beat Saber. Also as I'm not always looking forward I'm worried about the narrow FOV the TP cast applies, although I'm not sure exactly how much smaller the FOV is.

Anyone use a TP cast with this game? It's an expensive risk to take so let me know if it works for you.

Comments

• WildtWildt Posts: 1,796 Valuable Player
    I think I got S-rank on all the official expert levels, and all set with my TPcast. 

But I don't toss my head around unless I have to, so I haven't felt the need to tighten the HMD for this title, except for maybe a couple of the crazy unofficial songs/beatmaps.

The receiver on your head is really light, so I don't think that's gonna be a problem, but the heavy battery can annoy a bit if you use the belt. You will feel it swing about if you turn quickly.  But it should be easy to find a solution where it's properly secured - an appropriate pocket or whatever.
    Asus Z370-A ||  Watercooled 8700K || 16 GB gSkill DDR4 3200 || Samsung SSD 840PRO 256GB+850PRO 256GB+850EVO 500GB+970EVO 1TB || Watercooled FE Geforce 1080ti || Zalman Reserator XT watercooler || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3 || Asus ROG PG279Q  G-sync monitor
  • Vic_Vic_ Posts: 34
    Brain Burst
    Do you think it's beneficial if you don't move around much? Have you noticed any downsides? I'm only considering it because I move a lot.
  • WildtWildt Posts: 1,796 Valuable Player
    edited August 2018
    Vic_ said:
    Do you think it's beneficial if you don't move around much? Have you noticed any downsides? I'm only considering it because I move a lot.
    I've always hated the damn cable, and even in seated titles I can now spin like crazy on my swivel chair without a worry. It REALLY elevated my Echo VR experience to a new level.

As for standing experiences, it's just a no-brainer - playing e.g. Pavlov without any worries about stepping on a cable is heaven.

In my experience, the tracking only got acceptable with OpenTPcast - so I cannot recommend the product unless you're intending to install it. 

As for downsides - you need to spend some time finding a good spot for both the transmitter and the router. You're also gonna have to experiment with router settings - mainly finding a 5g channel that has no interference from other devices.
    Oh and you have to buy a 2nd ethernet card, unless you're willing to downgrade your PC's ethernet to 100mbps (or use your own, which requires some more tinkering, which I haven't done).
    Asus Z370-A ||  Watercooled 8700K || 16 GB gSkill DDR4 3200 || Samsung SSD 840PRO 256GB+850PRO 256GB+850EVO 500GB+970EVO 1TB || Watercooled FE Geforce 1080ti || Zalman Reserator XT watercooler || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3 || Asus ROG PG279Q  G-sync monitor