New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Rift Sound not working

Awesome_AardvarkAwesome_Aardvark Posts: 3
NerveGear
edited July 2018 in Oculus Rift + Touch
Hi, no sound is coming through my Rift Headset at all, but it does have headphones built in. For some reason when I open the Oculus App on my PC, go to Devices, then Rift and scroll down to turn the volume up it won't even let me alter the sound at all. It's stuck on mute. Thanks, Ethan

Comments

• YoLolo69YoLolo69 Posts: 1,093
    Wintermute
    Sound obvious but did you try to set Oculus Headset as default output sound device at Windows level, using the little speaker icon to the right in your task bar (next to the clock)? Normally each games/app using Oculus SDK should activate it by default but I know some games/apps don't...

“Dreams feel real while we are in them, it's only when we wake up that we realize something was strange.” - Dom Cobb

"Be careful, if you are killed in real life you die in VR too." - TD_4242

I7 3770K OC 4.6GHz, GTX1080 OC 10%, 16GB DDR3 2448  OC, Oculus Rift CV1

• Awesome_AardvarkAwesome_Aardvark Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    i had a look there (I think) and the rift headphone setting was not there, so it is not being registered. side bar I tried to use my oculus microphone and I could not turn that up either. any ideas?
  • TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 638
    Neo
    A similar thing happened to me a while ago.  I think I went into windows system sound menu and did not see it there so I just ran the troubleshoot and it seemed to fix things.  Only other thing to maybe try is to move your headset usb to a different one.
    Alienware 17r4 Laptop with i7-7700hq 2.8/3.6, 32 gb ram, gtx1060 w/6gb ram, 256gb ssd, 1tb hdd, Oculus Rift w/2x sensors.  Now using an Alienware Graphics Amplifier (AGA) with Zotac gtx1080ti Blower and Asus vg248qe 144hz external monitor.  All works great!

Also have a 64gb Oculus Go which I love for travel and quick VR Fixes.  Looking forward to the Quest!
  • Awesome_AardvarkAwesome_Aardvark Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    stupid question but how do you run a troubleshoot. I think I know how but I want to make sure that I am in the right place.
  • TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 638
    Neo
    You go to the Windows 10 System settings, Display and sound, and you will see a troubleshoot key.
    Alienware 17r4 Laptop with i7-7700hq 2.8/3.6, 32 gb ram, gtx1060 w/6gb ram, 256gb ssd, 1tb hdd, Oculus Rift w/2x sensors.  Now using an Alienware Graphics Amplifier (AGA) with Zotac gtx1080ti Blower and Asus vg248qe 144hz external monitor.  All works great!

Also have a 64gb Oculus Go which I love for travel and quick VR Fixes.  Looking forward to the Quest!
  • Enigmaxxx5Enigmaxxx5 Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    This forum helped me.
    https://steamcommunity.com/app/471710/discussions/0/1621724915795711660/

In the end, the solution was just making sure is well connected then.. make sure you have rift headset plugged in a 2.0 usb ( the one that doesn't say "ss" before the usb icon) and the sensors in USB 3.0 (the one with the "ss" and usb logo)

Hope this will fix your sound, It did help me today ! I hope it won't change. But in case this is not enought. Here are what i'Ve done before I reconnect everything on my PC.

1) Repair oclus software with the patch of march
    2) Set by default my tv (screen) as regular sound output (rift will switch by itself so don't worry)
    3) Same for the microphone. Set your default microphone as default. If not any, Rift will be default
    4) I have removed any enhancment for the sound in the rift headset
    5) I have put the sound quality to CD instead of the other choice you have
    6) I have reinstall Dead and buried ( the game i kept having the problem, but the problem was in every game)
    7) I have unplugged the cable of the headset and replugged it in case it was unproperly plugged in
    8) I have unscrewed the earphone from the head set and put them back quite tight on the headset
    9) I have done every single update on my computer + Nvidia Card.
    10) Then I gave up and finally plugged the rift headset in a 2.0 usb and the sensors in 3.0.
    Now sounds work very well!
    -- My system : HP Omen, 12 gb ram, NVidia 1060 3GB, I7-7700 3.60 ghz
    Hope this will help!