Apple first US company worth a trillion bucks. — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Apple first US company worth a trillion bucks.

Techy111Techy111 Posts: 6,109 Volunteer Moderator
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

Comments

• ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 14,088 Valuable Player
    Yes! I saw this trending on LinkedIn yesterday.

And they are working on the first "True 8K VR HMD." I like.
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • Techy111Techy111 Posts: 6,109 Volunteer Moderator
    Some guess work but a good read = https://www.techradar.com/news/apple-vr-ar-headset
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

• vannagirlvannagirl Posts: 2,000 Valuable Player
    wow

I just joined the dark side of the apple universe, this actually means something to me now.

Apple wont make a poor VR experience i am guessing.
    Look, man. I only need to know one thing: where they are. 
    Yeah I used to have an iphone from the old 3G days but got bored of them and went to Android because you can legally tinker under the hood. But I’ve just got me and the missus iPad 6’s and my damn kids won’t get off them lol still love my Android note 8 and and tablet though. But the iPads are fast !!!

• vannagirlvannagirl Posts: 2,000 Valuable Player
    same Techy

always android but my galaxy 6 decided to die suddenly after years of android so i really blew my budget lately with my first ipad pro, a iphone8plus and the iwatch3

the watch is my best though i can run cycle catch all my messages, listen to music and monitor all my fitness with it just at a look.
    the pad though is so fast yes, really takes some getting used to ios

a stand alone apple at 8k, is this possible though??. Give them Piemax's no
    Look, man. I only need to know one thing: where they are. 
    Lol wish I could give a lol like and awesome for that last line  :D

• snowdogsnowdog Posts: 6,730 Valuable Player
    vannagirl said:
    wow

I just joined the dark side of the apple universe, this actually means something to me now.

Apple wont make a poor VR experience i am guessing.

No, just a proprietary one that will cost three times more than others and will need to be jailbroken to get any decent non-proprietary use out of it lol

I absolutely despise Apple, always have done and always will do. They're worse see you next Tuesdays than Valve and that's REALLY saying something  :o :D
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
    edited August 2018
    Apple has always done right by me, and their OS is more stable than Windows.

I will always prefer a Windows machine, of course. But I've always had at least one Apple computer in my home (along with multiple Windows machines). And when someone who is not "tech savvy" asks me what computer I would recommend, I always tell them to choose an Apple MacBook. Those who listen, thank me endlessly. Those dumb enough to go with the cheaper Windows machine end up telling me stuff like, "how the hell can you deal with this every day? omfg it's awful."

I've also worked with Microsoft intimately. I've worked with them directly along with some of their Rockstar staff, and I've also represented them as a Microsoft Professional and Partner. One thing I can say for sure... MS has some of the shadiest practices in the known world. But they own it, and use it to their advantage. I respect them for turning a poopoo platter in to a high-priced 10-course meal that people incorporate in to their diet.

That being said, I found this today...

• SyrellarisSyrellaris Posts: 1,035
    3Jane
    edited August 2018
    Zenbane said:
    Yes! I saw this trending on LinkedIn yesterday.

And they are working on the first "True 8K VR HMD." I like.
    comes with the classic apple branding and a price tag of 10k or so cuz "apple"

If people are unable to work with windows machines perhaps they should not use computers at all. They're endlessly better then apple hardware. 

Apple charges higher prices not because they offer superior tech, but a superior "experience" with some of the best Customer Support available. They have been a Top Ranking support Company for a very long time.

Some examples:

Few global PC makers (if any) can rival Apple's Customer Support. And that's a huge badge of honor to carry; one that can most certainly be incorporated in to a cash product.
    3Jane
    If by global you mean US only then sure. 

Well they are a global company, but I will concede that I know nothing about their Customer Support outside the U.S. lol
    3Jane
    Zenbane said:

Well they are a global company, but I will concede that I know nothing about their Customer Support outside the U.S. lol
    I just mean that both articles you linked only surveyed 3200 people each. All from the US. The second even talks about how apple offers 1 year warranty on their product, which is primarily a US warranty type. Europe for example has a mandatory 2 year warranty that can be extended by the fair usage law.

Apple support in countries that aren't as large as the United States is lacking and below the likes of Sony or Samsung. Heck even Phillips has a better customer support then they do. 
    edited August 2018
    I just mean that both articles you linked only surveyed 3200 people each. All from the US.

Yes but that doesn't mean that we've uncovered some truth that Apple is secretly terrible at Customer Service. And people in the U.S. do come from other countries! Afterall, Apple is the first US Company to hit 1-trillion dollars lol

What Global Enterprise do you believe has better Customer Support than Apple? I'm truly curious. Try to keep it in the Tech Industry if possible.
    3Jane
    edited August 2018
    I'm not saying apple is terrible at customer support, just that they aren't as great globally as they are in the US. You can't claim global superiority when the survey is done in the US only. Just like with the superbowl. They get world champion titles, yet the superbowl is US teams only lol. 

Customer support divers per country, so it is hard to say which is globally much better. There's tons of tech companies out there that operate on a global scale, they aren't limited to a few large names like Apple, Sony, Microsoft, Phillips, Samsung etc.

Also... Nintendo.
    edited August 2018
    You can't claim global superiority when the survey is done in the US only.

Last I checked, US was on the Globe. The 1-trillion dollars incorporates their Global Business outside of the US. If Apple is somehow bad at Customer Support everywhere except the US, then it hardly seems feasible that they would reach such dominance. Their superior customer support is why their products cost 2-3 times that of their competitors. And those prices remain high outside the US.

There's tons of tech companies out there that operate on a global scale, they aren't limited to a few large names like Apple, Sony, Microsoft, Phillips, Samsung etc.

Also... Nintendo.

You seem to think that I asked you which oranization's are global. Let's read the question again:
    What Global Enterprise do you believe has better Customer Support than Apple?

I put the important part in Bold this time. Are you saying that Sony, Microsoft, Phillips, Nintendo, and Samsung all have "better customer support" than Apple outside of the US? Cause... LOL
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,247 Valuable Player
    Techy111 said:
    Yeah I used to have an iphone from the old 3G days but got bored of them and went to Android because you can legally tinker under the hood. But I’ve just got me and the missus iPad 6’s and my damn kids won’t get off them lol still love my Android note 8 and and tablet though. But the iPads are fast !!!

I one owned an ipad and the single most annoying thing I found was that they didn't have a back button on them. Has that changed because it used to annoy the hell out of me..
    RedRizla said:
    I one owned an ipad and the single most annoying thing I found was that they didn't have a back button on them. Has that changed because it used to annoy the hell out of me..

Back Buttons are the plague of the computing world, my friend.

That's why there's script to disable it within enterprise web-based software:

history.pushState(null, null, location.href);
    window.onpopstate = function () {
    history.go(1);
    };

Try it yourself:

The Back Button should have died with Netscape lol

3Jane
    Zenbane said:
    You can't claim global superiority when the survey is done in the US only.

Last I checked, US was on the Globe. The 1-trillion dollars incorporates their Global Business outside of the US. If Apple is somehow bad at Customer Support everywhere except the US, then it hardly seems feasible that they would reach such dominance. Their superior customer support is why their products cost 2-3 times that of their competitors. And those prices remain high outside the US.

There's tons of tech companies out there that operate on a global scale, they aren't limited to a few large names like Apple, Sony, Microsoft, Phillips, Samsung etc.

Also... Nintendo.

You seem to think that I asked you which oranization's are global. Let's read the question again:
    What Global Enterprise do you believe has better Customer Support than Apple?

I put the important part in Bold this time. Are you saying that Sony, Microsoft, Phillips, Nintendo, and Samsung all have "better customer support" than Apple outside of the US? Cause... LOL
    Yes, the US is on the globe. It also isn't the only country on it. Again, 3200 people from the USA, does not represent the rest of the world. Also, I answered your question, I believe you have to look at it by country basis and not globally.
     Also, I answered your question, I believe you have to look at it by country basis and not globally.

None of the organization's you listed Rank better than Apple in terms of Customer Support. So no, you did not answer the question.

Here is a survey that put Apple at the Top in the UK:

Whats your next response, than the US and UK are not the only countries? lol

Where is your evidence than any of the organization's you listed have a better Customer Support rating than Apple outside the US? You haven't provided anything at all.
    @Zebane - Well if a physical back button allows you to quickly go back to a previous screen, it can't be a bad thing. What's so bad about the back button on an Android that causes you to dislike it so much?
    3Jane
    edited August 2018
    The burden of proof is on you my friend, you stated they are the best globally, by doing so you provided 2 websites that did an American Survey only. Please provide a survey that covers most countries.

Here's a survey for my country. 

2016 - https://www.consultancy.nl/nieuws/12281/de-12-bedrijven-met-de-beste-customer-experience-volgens-klanten
    2018 - https://www.consultancy.nl/nieuws/18303/de-10-bedrijven-die-de-beste-customer-excellence-klantenservice-bieden

edited August 2018
    RedRizla said:
    @Zebane - Well if a physical back button allows you to quickly go back to a previous screen, it can't be a bad thing. What's so bad about the back button on an Android that causes you to dislike it so much?

I'll tell you what I tell pretty much everyone who knows me IRL,

The Back Button has turned in to a Rewind button, "omg I'm lost. Where am I? I didn't mean to get here. Can I have a do-over? Let's rewind that. How do I go back?"

Software has advanced to the point that the "screen" you are looking at operates under the assumption than you are exactly where you intended to be. And if you are not meant to be here, there are proper actions you can take to remedy that.

The Back Button is the copout to "thinking."

It's like the Windows "reboot" solution.
    "The server is locked up and all applications are offline, what happened Bob?"
    "I dunno, did you try to reboot it yet, Jim?"
    ^^
    A conversation between 2 System Admins.

The Back Button goes farther back than Web Browsers. It was invented during a time where the screen was a Dumb Terminal, and everything was just "pages." That's why the Back Button made sense when Web Browsers first launched. You were "browsing the World Wide Web's pages." It's like a Book, turning a page back and forth.

But this is the era of Rich User Interfaces built around Enhanced User Experiences where Client Software is just as powerful as Server-side applications. The Back Button needs to go bye-bye. There's a better way to get to where we're going than just button-mashing the Rewind button.
    :)

EDIT:
    btw, I've had an Android for over 5 years. I do not use its Back Button feature. It honestly never even occurs to me. Even when I screw up and hit the wrong options in an App. I just look for the corrective solution in the App itself.

Take YouTube's Music App. I'll search for a song and then click on the track I want to listen to, from a list of options. Sometimes I hit the wrong track. But it's too late, the screen changes and the wrong track is playing. I don't hit the back button. I hit the Search icon which has a memory of my last search. Then I click my selection again, and click the proper track.
    The burden of proof is on you my friend, you stated they are the best globally, by doing so you provided 2 websites that did an American Survey only. Please provide a survey that covers most countries.

Here's a survey for my country. 

2016 - https://www.consultancy.nl/nieuws/12281/de-12-bedrijven-met-de-beste-customer-experience-volgens-klanten
    2018 - https://www.consultancy.nl/nieuws/18303/de-10-bedrijven-die-de-beste-customer-excellence-klantenservice-bieden

I checked your 2018 survey, and it Ranks Apple 7th. If we take that list and look at only the Computing oragnization's, then Apple Ranks 1st.

I agree that the burden of proof is on me, but all you did is validate my position:

edited August 2018
    @Zenbane - I see what you are saying, but I still like the back button because it saves me time. When I recall using some apple apps I found I had to actually come out of the app and go back into it before I could get to were I was were before. This was some time ago though, so I don't know if it's still the case now.

I like the back button on an android though, because I find like some extra buttons on a mouse it saves me time. I like using extra buttons on a mouse to move back and fourth between web pages and using it's scroll wheel. I have got an android phone and tablet and they suit me just fine. They give me the option to what you do with the music track, but they also allow me to go back/undo, which gives me like two choices instead of just the one which the iphone/ipad has got..
    edited August 2018
    There are still some Apps that function well with the Back Button on a mobile device. They are built like that intentionally.

Here's Android's entire reference for implementing the Back Button event:
    https://developer.android.com/training/implementing-navigation/temporal

Using the Back Button as an Event that is part of a strategically implemented design is perfectly okay. The main issue (imo) is that the Back Button has too long a history in computing of being the Go To action for, "oh crap, I screwed up, I need to rewind that."

:)
  • pyroth309pyroth309 Posts: 1,547 Valuable Player
    I can't stand apple or the Iphone OS but I understand why they're so popular. People are lazy and want things to just work. I'm more of a tinkerer and I want control of my device which the apple overlords don't like. It's the same reason I prefer PC over Mac. The flexibility of PC is just better even though the usability of the mac gets a nod. (Not to mention the base software package for Mac is a lot better for the average user.) Gaming which is my main hobby is obviously no contest though and until that changes MAC's will always be a toy for me lol. 
    +1 but nail hit on the head, my ipads just "work" no fiddling or faffing, I can throw "Not literally" the iPad at my 20 month old boy and he knows his way around it better than me LoL but Android all the way for my Note 8 and Leonovo Tab 3 ;)

edited August 2018
    Exactly. My son was using an iPad effectively when he was literally between 6 and 12 months old. He got better at it as he got older, and he can now use a MacBook at Age 3.

I see other kids at his Learning Center using either those Leap Frog pads, or iPads. Aint no youngens using Windows, Android, or Linux lol
    edited August 2018
    I'm gonna teach my kids a lesson, teach em Dos 3.1  :#