New To The Forum? Click Here To Read The How To Guide. -- Developers Click Here.

Oculus Rift 1.29 Release Notes

cyberealitycybereality Posts: 25,862 Oculus Staff

What’s new : 

• Dash:
    • A new Belt: Improved hover states and materials give the belt a more modern look and feel. Come check it out!
    • We've added new contextual menus for panels within Dash. You can open them by aiming at a panel and pressing B or Y.
  • Home:
    • New performance improvements reduce load times and smooth rendering.
    • Animation for Custom Assets: Home now has basic animation support for custom assets. Models will now loop the first animation found in the .glb file. Note that Morph Target and Skinned animations are not currently supported. More information is available in the the Rift Core 2.0 beta user guide.
  • Oculus desktop app
    • Unknown sources: We are improving how we show 3rd party apps in your Library; for some apps, we are also giving users the ability to edit titles and add custom command prompts.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

Comments

• Digikid1Digikid1 Posts: 1,224
    Wintermute
    edited August 2
    Belt?  There are no belts......heck we don't even have PANTS in Home.  LOL!!!!!
  • squidbreakfastsquidbreakfast Posts: 36
    Brain Burst
    Got back into my Rift after a couple months' hiatus. I was really annoyed at Home, these constant flaps floating around telling me to invite friends to my Home. They wouldn't go away until I actually invited someone. 

And. The collectors gift box things. It always takes for ever to open each one. Is there another way, or I am just being daft?

New avatar thing is also lame. I want to be purple in VR. Not cream, off-white, caramel or chocolate. Purple. It is gone now. What'd you do with my purple ;(
    I like trains. Tech stuff. Being a hermit. Baking and getting baked.

i7 7700K  |  MSI Z270 M5  |  HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133  |  MSI GTX 1080 X 8G  |  Corsair Hydro H115i RGB  |  Corsair RM750x  |  Seagate 2TB  |  Samsung 960 EVO M.2 250 GB  |  Corsair Obsidian 450D  |

Wintermute
    edited August 2
    Got back into my Rift after a couple months' hiatus. I was really annoyed at Home, these constant flaps floating around telling me to invite friends to my Home. They wouldn't go away until I actually invited someone. 

And. The collectors gift box things. It always takes for ever to open each one. Is there another way, or I am just being daft?

New avatar thing is also lame. I want to be purple in VR. Not cream, off-white, caramel or chocolate. Purple. It is gone now. What'd you do with my purple ;(
    1.) Yes that is quite annoying.
    2.) You grab it and throw it.  That's all there is to it.....
    3.) Yes I agree and it's about time that Oculus realize that taking AWAY features without asking the users is going to bite them in the arse quite quickly.
  • kzintzikzintzi Posts: 978 Poster of the Week
    Digikid1 said:
    2.) You grab it and throw it.  That's all there is to it.....
    3.) Yes I agree and it's about time that Oculus realize that taking AWAY features without asking the users is going to bite them in the arse quite quickly.
    but you gotta do like taytay said first otherwise it doesn't do that glowy hummy thing!!!!!
    Though you are more than slightly incoherent, I agree with you Madam,
    a plum is a terrible thing to do to a nostril.
  • BK2BK2 Posts: 6
    NerveGear
    Digikid1 said:
    The belt is part of the oculus dash, it is the lower menu with buttons, it displays the time and allows you to switch windows and adjust volume.  It is weird that they call it a belt, though! 
    A little info here:

• bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 3,346 Valuable Player
    yes you grab and throw it but if you have 20 of em it takes ages;.
    ideallly would be good to throw all in 1 go imo or just auto do it as an option. i asked about this a few releases back and no one was interested

i am glad it is not just me who gets bored opening crates :)
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
  • dburnedburne Posts: 1,515
    Project 2501
    Have notice of late even though I have my Touch Controllers put away in a drawer and not using, when I first put on the Rift and Oculus Home starts it is showing my Touch Controllers in Home. Eventually they go into standby, just odd that they would be showing as active upon first staring up Home when they have not been used.

Don

EVGA X-79 Dark MB|I7 [email protected] GHz|EVGA 1080Ti FTW3 Elite|16GB Corsair Platinum 2133MHz| TM Warthog + 7.5cm Ext| MFG Crosswind Pedals| Rift CV1|Windows 10 64 bit 
    Wintermute
    BK2 said:
    Digikid1 said:
    The belt is part of the oculus dash, it is the lower menu with buttons, it displays the time and allows you to switch windows and adjust volume.  It is weird that they call it a belt, though! 
    A little info here:

They call that a Belt???  Who is the person naming these things?!?!?!  LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :D
    Calling it a "virtual non-pants holding display sectional device enumerator" would be difficult to quote in Support tickets
  • sford52sford52 Posts: 60
    Hiro Protagonist

and "Belly enhancing levitating thingy" is somewhat longish
    ASUS ROG Strix GL702VS-AH73 17.3" Laptop.  I7-7700HQ, GTX1070, 12 GB DDR4 RAM, 500 EVO 970 GB SSD, VS 2017, Oculus rift
  • DTHDTH Posts: 177
    Art3mis
    I always thought it was called Dash :/
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 672
    Neo
    edited August 8
    I really dislike forced updates when my rig is running perfectly - especially being forced to perform a firmware update  :# I really wish Oculus would make such updates optional - especially for us who don't care for Dash - and belts - at all.

With this said, I have not experienced any trouble with 1.29. In fact Home does seem to start faster and maybe it did look even better than before - "smooth rendering"?! Oculus Tray Tool still works perfectly and performance in games and apps seems at least as great as before. 

Maybe now is the time to unplug my VR rig from the internet  :D
    Intel i7 7700K (4.2-4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz boost, 11 Ghz ram); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS (Home/OEM); Oculus Rift CV1 - nearly always using super sampling at 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR" ;-)
  • inuroseninurosen Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    I don't like new contextual menu binding. I used B and Y buttens to bring up Windows contextual menu. Now i can't do it in many apps because hold trigger doesn't work in them (for example Discord). Please don't do usability changes that break other usability experience. You could make that keyboard/pin/minimize menu different way. Now you just have doubled one feature but killed another important feature.
  • NetheriNetheri Posts: 194
    Art3mis
    Remember that the devs don't read any of the comments in the Discussion Forums. We need to use the feedback link in the desktop app or the feedback website.
    [email protected], Rog Strix 1080 a8g in range 139MHz-1974MHz, Corsair 32gb 3000MHz DDR4, ROG Strix Z370 H Gaming, 2 x Inateck 4 port USB 3.0 cards.
    And i STILL want non-mandatory Home 2.0 and/or Dash
    MAC_MAN86 said:
    Well thanks for the added random frame freezes. Obviously this update has too much we do not want for our purpose...playing Games & Apps. Kindly give up developing Home and revert back to a Home Classic + Option for No Home at all.
    um, no don't do this
  • TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 281
    Nexus 6
    kzintzi said:
    MAC_MAN86 said:
    Well thanks for the added random frame freezes. Obviously this update has too much we do not want for our purpose...playing Games & Apps. Kindly give up developing Home and revert back to a Home Classic + Option for No Home at all.
    um, no don't do this

Why not?  Just so a few people like you can play with Dollhouses?  Maybe Oculus should sell Core 2.0 as a separate app, say for $10.  Then they will probably see how wasted their efforts have been because few will buy it imho.
    Alienware 17r4 Laptop with i7-7700hq 2.8/3.6, 32 gb ram, gtx1060 w/6gb ram, 256gb ssd, 1tb hdd, Oculus Rift w/2x sensors.  Now using an Alienware Graphics Amplifier (AGA) with Zotac gtx1080ti Blower and Asus vg248qe 144hz external monitor.  All works great!

Also have a 64gb Oculus Go which I love for travel and quick VR Fixes.  Looking forward to the Quest!
  • dburnedburne Posts: 1,515
    Project 2501
    I guess I must be pretty lucky, have not seen any degradation of performance in Oculus Home and especially not in my games. 
    Don

EVGA X-79 Dark MB|I7 [email protected] GHz|EVGA 1080Ti FTW3 Elite|16GB Corsair Platinum 2133MHz| TM Warthog + 7.5cm Ext| MFG Crosswind Pedals| Rift CV1|Windows 10 64 bit 
  • MAC_MAN86MAC_MAN86 Posts: 975
    Neo
    This is the same principle as Engine Stop Tech. We do not need it for what we run for.
    For crying out aloud, just release your stuff as an APP and then judge if it is worth it.

Nexus 6
    edited August 8
    After uninstalling OTT then reinstalling it and resetting profiles and audio switching it seems to work fine now except one of my programs (X plane 11.25) will now not shutdown properly and I need to force it to shutdown.  Other apps/games seem to work and shutdown properly.  I'll include my latest xp11 log file in case any experts out there can help.  Thanks.

Log.txt 26.4K
    Alienware 17r4 Laptop with i7-7700hq 2.8/3.6, 32 gb ram, gtx1060 w/6gb ram, 256gb ssd, 1tb hdd, Oculus Rift w/2x sensors.  Now using an Alienware Graphics Amplifier (AGA) with Zotac gtx1080ti Blower and Asus vg248qe 144hz external monitor.  All works great!

Also have a 64gb Oculus Go which I love for travel and quick VR Fixes.  Looking forward to the Quest!
    Art3mis
    My x plane 11.25 is the only program that has a problem.  The problem started after the Oculus update.
    I have to take off my headset to force it to close because it has the error of not responding.  It does run fine it just will not shut down like it used to.
    Log.txt 70.9K
  • drowhunterdrowhunter Posts: 12
    NerveGear
    https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/7t2o3d/unable_to_confirm_account_in_oculus_app_122_with/

hello i am still having this issue when trying to use the rift.
    I have reinstalled windows and still get this issue.

Nexus 6
    DTH said:
    My x plane 11.25 is the only program that has a problem.  The problem started after the Oculus update.
    I have to take off my headset to force it to close because it has the error of not responding.  It does run fine it just will not shut down like it used to.
    Glad to hear that I'm not the only one, lol!  I have just started a support ticket regarding this problem.  It is def something in 1.29 doing this.  Never had a problem with 1.28 and If I disable Oculus home and run XP11 in non-vr mode it works and shuts down fine.  For now my quick fix is to have task manager active and minimised on my task bar so I can quickly select and end task.

• RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 672
    Neo
    edited August 8
    TomCgcmfc said:
    kzintzi said:
    MAC_MAN86 said:
    um, no don't do this

Why not?  Just so a few people like you can play with Dollhouses?  Maybe Oculus should sell Core 2.0 as a separate app, say for $10.  Then they will probably see how wasted their efforts have been because few will buy it imho.

You can take a short (teleported) walk in Steam VR Home - and you can also walk around and enjoy your VR home in MS MR. I'm guessing that Oculus didn't want their users to feel left out. Personally I just want fast and easy access without any bells and whistles to my games and apps. I'm not into dollhouses at all, and I don't need to take a walk - that's why I love the good old Oculus Home so much  <3
    Intel i7 7700K (4.2-4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz boost, 11 Ghz ram); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS (Home/OEM); Oculus Rift CV1 - nearly always using super sampling at 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR" ;-)
    Nexus 6

Just an update on needing to kill XP11.25 with task manager when exiting the program.  I started a support ticket with oculus support and got this reply.  Basically they said I need to contact the developer to try to sort this out.  Oh boy!

Thank you for taking the time to contact us with regards to update 1.29.

As X-Plane is a non-Oculus application and is the only app you are having issues with, you will need to contact X-Plane's developers and work with them with regards to compatibility issues with our software.

However, do let us know if you are having any issues with the Oculus home software itself, or any Oculus applications.

Kind regards,

Ryder
    Oculus Support

Art3mis
    @TomCgcmfc thanks for the update.  How do we contact them?  All the websites point to forums. Then where do we post there?
    Nexus 6
    DTH said:
    @TomCgcmfc thanks for the update.  How do we contact them?  All the websites point to forums. Then where do we post there?
    I did post on their forum but I will also try contacting them directly.  Not sure how but I'm sure I'll figure this out.  I'll let you know what they say.

• NetheriNetheri Posts: 194
    Art3mis
    MAC_MAN86 said:
    This is the same principle as Engine Stop Tech. We do not need it for what we run for.
    For crying out aloud, just release your stuff as an APP and then judge if it is worth it.

Use the feedback link in the Desktop app. Devs won't read the forums as apparently thay can't take public criticism. Use the Desktop app link often, maybe someone of them wakes up to the reality what the consumers of their products really want.
    [email protected], Rog Strix 1080 a8g in range 139MHz-1974MHz, Corsair 32gb 3000MHz DDR4, ROG Strix Z370 H Gaming, 2 x Inateck 4 port USB 3.0 cards.
    And i STILL want non-mandatory Home 2.0 and/or Dash