New To The Forum? Click Here To Read The How To Guide. -- Developers Click Here.

Microstutters

stereomanstereoman Posts: 60
Hiro Protagonist
edited August 2 in Support
I'm having an issue with my rift stuttering, I've pretty much tried everything I can think of at this point, removed all overclocking software, MSI Afterburner etc, rolled back graphics card drivers, reinserted Oculus HDMI cable, swapped USB Ports, reinstalled Oculus software, upgraded Oculus firmware, recalibrated the sensors, switched back and forth to the beta and normal client, tried using a displayport adaptor instead of the hdmi port, disconnected all other displays (apart from my main display and the Oculus), deactivated windows defender and removed other virus malware checkers etc turned off all suspend USB options from device manager and any suspend USB options in windows power management. short of reinstalling windows I've tried everything I can think of but it's still stuttering, it seems to happen mostly when I move my head up and down. I found a video on youtube that's fairly similar to what I'm experiencing. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTu8YI_4vPg

It's like the picture jumps for a split second then goes back to normal, I'd really appreciate some help with this as I'm completely stumped as to what is causing it.

my specs are
Intel 4790K
Asus Maximus Hero VII Z97
Geforce GTX 1070
16GB Crucial Ballistix
Samsung 850 pro RAID
Windows 10 Pro x64

I'm currently using the latest Geforce 398.82 WHQL Drivers but I've tried multiple drivers.

Comments

• delmonti007delmonti007 Posts: 12
    NerveGear
    I had very similar issues but only in Elite Dangerous VR. I ended up 'refreshing' my Windows 10 OS then installing Geforce 388.59 drivers (last known Oculus friendly drivers), then Oculus, then Elite Dangerous. Worked a treat, no more stuttering. Over time Windows has a tendency to get bogged down with crappy 'add-on' startup software, along with fragmentation because of updates from OS & installed but never used Apps that stay resident and steal CPU cycles and bandwidth.  

i7 68k @ 4.6Ghz
    Geforce GTX 970
    16 Gig Mem
    SSD
    Windows 10 x64
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,101 Oculus Staff
    Please completely uninstall any Asus software you may have on the computer (such as Asus AI Suite or Sonic Suite). Other software that may need to be disabled include MSI Afterburner, EVGA Precision, RivaTuner, F.lux, TeamViewer, and M-Audio.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • stereomanstereoman Posts: 60
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited September 16
    I finally got it nailed down today, huge sigh of relief my Rift is working again!!!

Basically I went through all the windows services and disabled anything that wasn't being used, funny thing is I never had AI suite installed but I did find some services pertaining to it that where still running, I also disabled the Corsair service for my Strafe keyboard which I had already disabled at startup but the service was still running in the background through Windows services and then I disabled Nvidia Telemetry service and finally I remove NZXT Cam monitoring software which has fps overlay options which I figure could be causing issues although I do remember running it for a long time without issue alongside my Oculus.

Main thing is my Rift is now working again, all is well in my universe :)

Cheers
  • LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,350 Volunteer Moderator
    stereoman said:
    I finally got it nailed down today, huge sigh of relief my Rift is working again!!!

Basically I went through all the windows services and disabled anything that wasn't being used, funny thing is I never had AI suite installed but I did find some services pertaining to it that where still running, I also disabled the Corsair service for my Strafe keyboard which I had already disabled at startup but the service was still running in the background through Windows services and then I disabled Nvidia Telemetry service and finally I remove NZXT Cam monitoring software which has fps overlay options which I figure could be causing issues although I do remember running it for a long time without issue alongside my Oculus.

Main thing is my Rift is now working again, all is well in my universe :)

Cheers
    Awesome, actually Nvidia is listing "microstuttering when GPU/CPUmonitoring software is active" as part of their Known Issues with the Nvidia drivers.

Anything that tries to constantly poll the GPU for temp/voltage data causes microstutters. 
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)