New to the forums? Click here to read the How To guide. -- Developers click here.

List of Rift killer apps and games by user ratings

RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 910
3Jane
edited November 20 in Games and Apps
To get an overview, here're lists of the highest rated games and apps for the Oculus Rift. If you're new to the Rift, maybe these lists can be of inspiration - and maybe even old-timers can find stuff they've overlooked...  

To be included at least 40 users must have rated a game or an app, and the average user rating must be at least 4.5 stars out of 5 (= 90 % or better) - based on user ratings in the Oculus Store (Steam games or apps are not included). Maybe we could call these lists for grade "A" games and apps - or simply current Rift killer games and apps  ;)

And why the need for 40 user ratings? In the Oculus Store there are many games and apps receiving high ratings, but to provide sound statistics it's not enough with just 3 user ratings - or 10 - or even 20. I've chosen 40 because it's close to the minimum number of individuals I'd want in a group, if I was trying to get some robust statistics after collecting answers to a questionnaire. I've provided the current number of user ratings for each game or app, so if some readers only trust average ratings based on 100, 500 or even 1,000 user ratings, the lists will accommodate for such preferences. 

Note that these lists are not influenced by my preferences - I'm just the guy counting user ratings and associated average ratings  o:)
Also note that new awesome games or apps may not yet be on the lists due to an insufficient number of user ratings. 

Highest rated Rift games:
Airtone - 98 % (71 ratings)
Beat Saber - 96 % (1742 ratings)
Racket: Nx - 96 % (63 ratings)
Robo Recall - 94 % (5601 ratings)
Lone Echo - 94% (2397 ratings)
Eleven: Table Tennis VR - 94% (347 ratings)
Brass Tactics - 94 % (257 ratings)
Moss - 94 % (179 ratings)
Vox Machinae - 94 % (103 ratings)
Super Hot - 92 % (1807 ratings)
Blaze Rush - 92 % (730 ratings)
I Expect You to Die - 92 % (646 ratings)
Space Pirate Trainer - 92 % (424 ratings)
Brass Tactics: Arena - 92 % (233 ratings)
Witchblood - 92 % (182 ratings)
Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes - 92 % (173 ratings)
The Invisible Hours - 92 % (159 ratings)
PokerStars VR - 92 % (76 ratings)
XING: The Land Beyond - 92 % (69 ratings)
The Thrill of the Fight - 92 % (54 ratings)
Elite Dangerous - 90% (1509 ratings)
Chronos - 90 % (1031 ratings)
Onward - 90 % (411 ratings)
Windlands - 90 % (301 ratings)
In Death - 90 % (299 ratings)
Racket Fury: Table Tennis VR - 90 % (184 ratings)
Thumper - 90 % (156 ratings)
Form - 90 % (111 ratings)
Windlands 2 - 90 % (70 ratings)
Gorn - 90 % (56 ratings)
Catan VR - 90 % (52 ratings)
Gravity Labs - Gravitational Testing Facility & Observations - 90 % (58 ratings)
The Gallery - Episode 2: Heart of the Emberstone - 90 % (45 ratings)
Pixel Ripped 1989 - 90 % (45 ratings)
Virtual Virtual Reality - 90 % (44 ratings)
Bend the Light - 90 % (40 ratings)

Highest rated Rift apps:
Crow: The Legend - 100 % (49 ratings)
Lone Echo II: Trailer Experience - 98 % (72 ratings)
First Contact - 94 % (1172 ratings)
Sensor Bounds - 94 % (143 ratings)
Wrench: Engine Building Demo - 94 % (73 ratings)
Electronauts - 94 % (41 ratings)
Dear Angelica - 92% (740 ratings)
Fantasynth - 92 % (453 ratings)
Show It 2 Me - 92 % (148 ratings)
Wonderful You - 92 % (100 ratings)
1943 Berlin Blitz - 92 % (90 ratings)
The Great C - 92 % (73 ratings)
The Bond - 92 % (40 ratings)
Aircar - 90 % (1275 ratings)
Oculus Dreamdeck - 90 % (1153 ratings)
Henry - 90 % (997 ratings)
Showdown - 90 % (920 ratings)
Allumette - 90 % (783 ratings)
Tilt Brush - 90 % (121 ratings)
Hold the World - 90 % (41 ratings)

To make these lists I had to put on the headset, select the category containing all games and apps in the Oculus Home (="Browse all"), organize them according to user ratings (highest ratings first) and then - one by one - check the number of ratings and the average score. So I've developed a new skill: Handwriting on a piece of paper while wearing the headset!  :D Using a browser I don't get access to the same categories available in the Oculus Home - it  would be great to get similar access to ratings in a normal browser! 
Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz boost, 11 Ghz ram); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Oculus Rift CV1 - nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR" ;-)

Comments

• RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 910
    3Jane
    edited August 5
    I'm ready to face the fire and the flames  :) - For what I'm going to write, had I done so 500 years ago, I might have ended up like this  :#

Normally I really dislike rhythm games and sports games (I have bought Box VR and Sprint Vector though, but I don't spend much time on them). So - at least for now - I have not tried neither Beat Saber nor Racket: Nx, and I can't understand why these games get so utterly amazing ratings. And it's not just here, Steam users fully agree, Beat Saber and Racket: Nx are beyond awesome according to user reviews and ratings. I think I better can understand the Eleven: Table Tennis VR rating - it looks like a nice simulator, but I haven't tried that game too. 

Why are Beat Saber and Racket: Nx better than Lone Echo and Robo Recall? If someone could explain this to me, I'd greatly appreciate it - I feel a bit lost here  ;)

Trailers of Beat Saber, Racket: Nx and Eleven: Table Tennis VR:

Oh, well, I might just buy the games and try them out...  ;)
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz boost, 11 Ghz ram); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Oculus Rift CV1 - nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

3Jane
    edited August 11
    And sadly, many of my personal favorite games on the Rift didn't get on the list. Still some may deserve being mentioned (I've added some best-selling games too):

Edge of Nowhere - 88 % (972 ratings)
    Kin - 88 % (32 ratings)
    Wilson's Heart - 86 % (570 ratings)
    From Other Suns - 86 % (540 ratings)
    Obduction - 86 % (392 ratings)
    Landfall - 86 % (226 ratings)
    Discovering Space 2 - 86 % (158 ratings)
    Arizona Sunshine - 84 % (1497 ratings)
    The Climb - 84 % (1338 ratings)
    Defense Grid 2 - 84 % (530 ratings)
    Mage's Tale - 84 % (391 ratings)
    Rez Infinite - 84 % (144 ratings)
    Star Trek: Bridge Crew - 82 % (636 ratings)
    Rick and Morty: Virtual Rick-ality - 82 % (321 ratings)
    Marvel Powers United - 82 % (245 ratings)
    Red Matter - 82 % (69 ratings)
    EVE: Valkyrie - Warzone - 76 % (1489 ratings)
    Subnautica - 76 % (251 ratings)
    Killing Floor: Incursion - 74 % (489 ratings)
    Robinson: The Journey - 74 % (261 ratings)
    The Vanishing of Ethan Carter - 72 % (128 ratings)

A new game that soon may achieve a 90+ % average rating from more than 40 users is "Pixel Ripped 1989", it's now at 92 % with 25 ratings. "Virtual Virtual Reality" currently gets 88 % with 34 ratings, "Catch & Release" gets 88 % with 36 ratings, and "The Thrill of the Fight" gets 90 % with 33 ratings.

• falken76falken76 Posts: 2,613 Valuable Player
    RuneSR2 said:

Normally I really dislike rhythm games and sports games (I have bought Box VR and Sprint Vector though, but I don't spend much time on them). So - at least for now - I have not tried neither Beat Saber nor Racket: Nx, and I can't understand why these games get so utterly amazing ratings. And it's not just here, Steam users fully agree, Beat Saber and Racket: Nx are beyond awesome according to user reviews and ratings. I think I better can understand the Eleven: Table Tennis VR rating - it looks like a nice simulator, but I haven't tried that game too. 

Why are Beat Saber and Racket: Nx better than Lone Echo and Robo Recall? If someone could explain this to me, I'd greatly appreciate it - I feel a bit lost here  ;)

Oh, well, I might just buy the games and try them out...  ;)

I don't know why they'd be better.  I don't dislike rhythm games from the onset so I guess that is part of it.  I like Beat Saber better because I enjoy it, it's just fun to me.  I don't like Lone Echo much because it makes me feel sick, I just don't like that floating feeling, and Robo Recall is pretty and fun in short bursts, but I find it to be incredibly boring, it's what I imagine the Marvel game to be like.  Eye candy that gets repetitious very quickly and has almost no replay value whatsoever, it's seriously like an arcade game that's goal is to keep you pumping quarters into the machine.  I do have Eleven Table tennis, I like it, it's a fun game but I haven't played it in a long time because I need to move furniture around just to play it.  I haven't tried Racket: NX yet.  I have a bunch of games but I really only play DCS World and Onward consistently.  Those two are my killer apps for this thing.

I would suggest you give Beat Saber a try and return it if you don't like it, you have a 2 hour window.  Mod it and download some real songs before you go through those 2 hours though, it's better when you play songs you recognize.  If you suck like I do, get Mortal Kombat, it's easy enough and has a good rhythm to it.

• BeastyBaiterBeastyBaiter Posts: 758 Poster of the Week
    Rune isn't the only one, but you have to keep in mind that the only people reviewing them (I assume) are those who bought them. People like me me who would give Beat Saber a 1 star review simply because we dislike the whole concept aren't going to buy it in the first place and thus not review it. So you really can't compare the ratings between Beat Saber and Robo Recall. At best, you could compare Beat Saber to other rhythm games. I assume they exist, though I don't know of any. Similarly, Robo Recall's ratings can only be compared to other FPS's, like Arizona Sunshine.
  • darkjorikdarkjorik Posts: 50
    Brain Burst
    It's a pity. I don't played in all of this games list. But many.  90%  for one time use. Play, test and close.
    Rift games still look like one time demos. But cost money.

3Jane
    edited August 11
    Rune isn't the only one, but you have to keep in mind that the only people reviewing them (I assume) are those who bought them. People like me me who would give Beat Saber a 1 star review simply because we dislike the whole concept aren't going to buy it in the first place and thus not review it. So you really can't compare the ratings between Beat Saber and Robo Recall. At best, you could compare Beat Saber to other rhythm games. I assume they exist, though I don't know of any. Similarly, Robo Recall's ratings can only be compared to other FPS's, like Arizona Sunshine.

I just found out there's a free Racket: Nx demo on Steam - it's a 2GB download. I just tried it and must admit I'm impressed. Like you wrote, which I think is spot on, we should be careful not to mix different genres - and both Beat Saber and Racket: Nx (guess both are sports games to some degree) belong to completely different genres than Lone Echo and Robo Recall. Maybe the lists can help to find games and apps that - within their respective genres - will be extremely impressive. Racket: Nx is not just polished - I'd call that game ultra-polished. It plays like some weird cocktail of tennis and Arkanoid, but it's an awesome cocktail and trailers don't show this game correctly (like nearly always for VR games). Racket: Nx is easy to access and understand, it performs awesome (even forcing super-sampling 2.0 I get perfect 90 fps and 30-40% extra headroom) and few if any will experience technical difficulties (like the game crashing) - because to get a 96 % average rating you need all users to be happy ;) Still, to me it feels more like a $10 game than a $20 game, but of course the devs got to make a living :)

For persons who like this kind of futuristic tennis, Racket: Nx may indeed be the reference, but it wouldn't qualify as a top 5 Rift game to me, because I value other genres higher.

Note that Racket: Nx wasn't out of Early Access before July 17 2018, so you could say it's a new game, less than 1 month old (at the time I write this post). 

Maybe I should try Beat Saber soon like Falken76 suggested - if not for anything else, just to see what a 98% game (based on more than 1,000 ratings) plays like... 

3Jane
    edited August 8
    I've just bought Racket: Nx and Beat Saber  o:) I do understand that everybody wants to be a Jedi - and I'll admit that I do enjoy watching the young Sith Lords train  :o

3Jane
    Beat Saber is cool  B) - the game runs totally smoothly (90 fps) using super-sampling 2.0. I guess all critics become silent when you hand them two real lightsabers  ;) BTW, it would have been nice with round instead of square light emitting from the sabers (check the tip of the light - it's square not round) - but that would have increased the number of polys a lot - also if arms and hands had been included. Best of all, the game made me feel like this drummer  :D  

Compared to real VR games like Lone Echo, Moss, Elite and Mage's Tale, Beat Saber would be like 65 % max to me - but compared to games within its genre I do believe Beat Saber has earned its 98 % rating. I'm starting to feel sporty - maybe it's time to tell my friends that I've started playing tennis, boxing and also took up some sword fighting!

• LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,429 Volunteer Moderator
    edited August 8
    I'm sorry, why is no one actually standing up and applauding you @RuneSR2 for all the hard work, very interesting insight there, Lone Echo is quite pricey maybe that has something to do with it, the higher priced game the more is expected of it and more likely for someone to be critical of it.

If it was $5.00 it would have had 100% score. 
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)
    3Jane
    edited August 9
    I'm sorry, why is no one actually standing up and applauding you @RuneSR2 for all the hard work, very interesting insight there, Lone Echo is quite pricey maybe that has something to do with it, the higher priced game the more is expected of it and more likely for someone to be critical of it.

If it was $5.00 it would have had 100% score. 

Thanks, LZoltowski, you do have a good point; I'm sure Lone Echo would have received an even better rating at a lower price. Maybe being a free (bundled) game has helped Robo Recall getting just as great ratings, and more than twice as many ratings, compared to Lone Echo. Although Robo Recall is an awesome game, personally Lone Echo impressed me much more. 

I'll be happy to admit that my "secret" agenda making such lists is also to show that we already have many top-ranked VR killer apps and games. Instead of constantly waiting for some AAA VR games to arrive, maybe some of us can find inspiration in the lists and discover real gems that somehow have been overlooked. Currently I'm expanding my VR comfort zone to include sports games, it's been some great discoveries so far (but table tennis, sigh - do I really have to try table tennis... still I can't argue against a 94 % average rating based on more than 300 ratings... ;-) 

And man, SwanVR really makes me feel like a tiny Padawan  :o

• SkScotcheggSkScotchegg Posts: 665
    Neo
    RuneSR2 said:
    it's been some great discoveries so far (but table tennis, sigh - do I really have to try table tennis... still I can't argue against a 94 % average rating based on more than 300 ratings... ;-) 
    Good list mate.

And btw, table tennis is awesome in VR, it was one of the first games I tried and I didn't expect much but turned out to be awesome, I'm not sure which one I have, I think it's "Eleven table tennis" but not sure. :)
  • vanfanelvanfanel Posts: 180
    Art3mis
    You're missing Airtone - 97.7% (70 reviews)

Yup another rhythm game :)
    3Jane
    edited August 9
    vanfanel said:
    You're missing Airtone - 97.7% (70 reviews)

Yup another rhythm game :)

You're absolutely right - I have no idea how I could miss that one. It's really rated at an unbelievable 98% like Beat Saber, but it'll be 2nd on the gaming list because Beat Saber has more ratings. I'll triple check the lists later to see how I could have missed Airtone when using the "Browse all" category. 

The trailer:

Ok, so I need *cough* one more rhythm game - and then *long dry cough* table tennis, but I really need to try this first - even though it's not on the lists, guess you have to leave the yellow brick road now and then  ;)

3Jane

... And I shouldn't have left the yellow brick road. Megaton Rainfall is based on the most awesome idea - but that game looked like the worst PSVR port I've ever seen - probably the most blurry textures ever in a Rift game. And the game really feels alien - it's the first game to not respond to Oculus Tray Tool at all, so there's no way to force mega-super-sampling on these mega-poor textures. I've asked for a refund - I know, I should have played some table tennis instead, sigh... Some people just never learn  ;)  

3Jane
    edited August 10
    The reason why I missed Airtone is that I didn't think any game with more that 40 ratings would rate higher than Beat Saber. When selecting "Browse all" by highest user ratings the first many games have just one or very few ratings, and if these are all 5 stars (made by the devs and their friends and families ;-) small games of limited quality easily get a perfect 5.0 average rating. 

Believe it or not, Airtone is ahead of Beat Saber - just by a hair - but the secret conclusion to this is:

Airtone is the highest rated game for the Rift

I just checked if some cultural differences could explain this phenomenon, but it seems many American Rift users rated this game 5 stars. Maybe this trailer is much better - it looks a bit cool, right?

Searching this entire forum it seems no one have talked about Airtone - the game has received next to no attention. There're no reviews of the game on Metacritic - but Steam users confirm it's 9/10. 

From the trailer it really looks like a game I'd never play. But maybe it's a flying and dancing Zelda in disguise?  :D If I have to write something positive, it does look like the first game I can run using super-sampling 2.5 and never get less than 90 fps  ;) Then there's the $ 30 price  :o - Airtone is nearly as expensive as Lone Echo, and Airtone is 50 % more expensive than Beat Saber, Racket: Nx and some table tennis game ;-)

Has anyone tried this game? - And can anyone explain why Airtone is the highest rated Rift game? Beat Saber has Jedi lightsabers and SwanVR <3 , Racket: Nx is super-cool arkanoidistic (just made up that word) futuristic tennis fun - what's the secret behind Airtone??

• vanfanelvanfanel Posts: 180
    Art3mis
    Personally I really enjoy airtone.  I can't really explain why it's rated so high but when it came out I'd argue it was the most polished and my favorite rhythm game at the time. Although this isn't for everyone as your musical tastes might not align with it.  But it has a lot of tracks and a nice range of difficulties.  Easy is great for everyone to pick up while the hardest setting is probably the hardest vr rhythm game I know.  My shoulders ache and my arms feel like jello after a few tries. It has a bunch of little achievements and overall is a very polished game. If you enjoy rhythm games and anime this is right up your alley. It doesn't have that universal appeal of lightsabers or use of mainstream music but as a rhythm game I highly recommend it.
    edited August 10
    It has a Japanese Anime Girl in VR ... I don't think most men playing that game realise there is anything other in it than the animated Japanese Waifu of dreams .. could explain the score. :P
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

3Jane
    edited August 13
    vanfanel said:
    Personally I really enjoy airtone.  I can't really explain why it's rated so high but when it came out I'd argue it was the most polished and my favorite rhythm game at the time. Although this isn't for everyone as your musical tastes might not align with it.  But it has a lot of tracks and a nice range of difficulties.  Easy is great for everyone to pick up while the hardest setting is probably the hardest vr rhythm game I know.  My shoulders ache and my arms feel like jello after a few tries. It has a bunch of little achievements and overall is a very polished game. If you enjoy rhythm games and anime this is right up your alley. It doesn't have that universal appeal of lightsabers or use of mainstream music but as a rhythm game I highly recommend it.

I just tried Airtone, it's still quite polished and runs perfectly using super-sampling 2.0 on my rig (all video settings in-game maxed). I like that you've got hands and fingers in the game = nice Touch support, but you don't have free locomotion. The music isn't bad either, but that'll be a matter of taste. I'm not into such cute manga/rhythm games, I prefer darker and more gritty games like Doom VFR and Hellblade VR. I've asked for a refund, but it was a fun and a nice experience to test the game. I can't help thinking that my sons (6, 10 and 14 years old) wouldn't care for such a game, but if I had daughters the same age they probably would have loved the game.

I ended up rating the game 3/5. Airtone is still rated average 98 % though. 

RuneSR2 said:
    vanfanel said:

I just tried Airtone, it's still quite polished and runs perfectly using super-sampling 2.0 on my rig (all video settings in-game maxed). I like that you've got hands and fingers in the game = nice Touch support. The music isn't bad either, but that'll be a matter of taste. My problem is that I'm not into such cute manga/rythm games, I prefer darker and more gritty games like Doom VFR and Hellblade VR. I've asked for a refund, but it was a fun and a nice experience to test the game. 
    I am LOVING Hellblade at the moment, such a visceral experience. I find the way they made cut scenes work in it, the 3d depth gets turned off and forms into a cinema-like screen, the perfect way to keep the jerky camera moves and prevent vr sickness at the same time.

3Jane
    edited August 11
    RuneSR2 said:
    vanfanel said:

I just tried Airtone, it's still quite polished and runs perfectly using super-sampling 2.0 on my rig (all video settings in-game maxed). I like that you've got hands and fingers in the game = nice Touch support. The music isn't bad either, but that'll be a matter of taste. My problem is that I'm not into such cute manga/rythm games, I prefer darker and more gritty games like Doom VFR and Hellblade VR. I've asked for a refund, but it was a fun and a nice experience to test the game. 
    I am LOVING Hellblade at the moment, such a visceral experience. I find the way they made cut scenes work in it, the 3d depth gets turned off and forms into a cinema-like screen, the perfect way to keep the jerky camera moves and prevent vr sickness at the same time.

Maybe we could add some Steam (GOG) games to this thread, especially because games like Hellblade are not available in the Oculus Store and therefore aren't registered on the lists. Luckily, VRGameCritic.com makes it possible to separate Rift games from other VR games, but their ratings are based on published (professional) reviews and not user reviews. According to VRGameCritic the highest rated Rift games ever are:

The VRGameCritic list does clash a few times with Rift user ratings, for example Island 359 has an average rating of 62 % with 50 user ratings in the Oculus Store, but mostly the list does match Rift user ratings.

Here are some trailers for games unavailable in the Oculus Store (note the Hellblade trailer is 360 degrees, try moving it with your mouse or tilt your phone/tablet):

Lazer Puzzle

Hellblade

Holopoint

Project CARS 2

3Jane
    edited August 13
    I just added The Thrill of the Fight to the gaming list - that game just got 41 ratings and a 90 % average rating.

• LuluViBritanniaLuluViBritannia Posts: 370
    Trinity
    edited August 18
    Hey there, nice work making these lists!
    Maybe it would be better to use a ratio between the rating and the number of ratings to sort it out? 'Cause a 90% by 1000 people is way more trustworthy than 98% by 70 ^^'.

EDIT : Never mind, I had 5 minutes so I actually did it myself xD! So, for those interested, here is the same list, sorted out with a ratio Ranking/Number of ratings. I actually multiplied those values with each other for each game (and divided by 100 only for a better visibility) : 

Previous VR face :

My current config : HP Omen laptop, 8 GB RAM, Intel i5-7300HQ @2.5GHz + Nvidia GTX 1050 (2GB VRAM).

Currently plays on :

- Beat Saber.
    - Windlands.
    - Skyrim VR.

I use VR for :
    - Games.
    - Art Software (Tilt Brush, Oculus Medium, Mocu Mocu Dance).
    - Cinema VR (Oculus Desktop or Virtual Desktop).

"You are allowed to kill only if you are prepared to die."
    3Jane
    edited August 18
    Hey there, nice work making these lists!
    Maybe it would be better to use a ratio between the rating and the number of ratings to sort it out? 'Cause a 90% by 1000 people is way more trustworthy than 98% by 70 ^^'.

EDIT : Never mind, I had 5 minutes so I actually did it myself xD! So, for those interested, here is the same list, sorted out with a ratio Ranking/Number of ratings. I actually multiplied those values with each other for each game (and divided by 100 only for a better visibility) : 

Thanks - also for your interesting post. I agree that it's a problem that the number of ratings isn't reflected in the average rating, but it's not an easy problem to solve, also because some apps/games are new (=few ratings) and some are old (=many ratings). Your list basically reflects only the number of ratings (with no regard to the average rating) - and because Robo Recall is a free (bundled) game it may have gotten many more ratings than priced games. But of course the number of ratings may separate the more popular games from the less popular ones - but again there's the time perspective; Moss hasn't been out long compared to Robo Recall or Chronos. 

Maybe it could be interesting to compare "average ratings per month" by taking the "number of ratings" for each game/app and divide that number by the "number of months since the launch date". That may give an idea of the popularity (average ratings per month), and suddenly Moss may no longer be far behind older games... But I don't think I have enough sparetime to perform such calculations ;-)

3Jane
    edited August 19
    In case some haven't noticed, Chronos is on sale just for today ("daily deal"):

https://www.oculus.com/experiences/app/929508627125435/

For those who only trust an average rating of 90+ % if it's based on at least 1,000 user ratings, Chronos is the 6th best Rift game  ;)

Personally I don't think the game has aged at all, and it reminds me of a mix of Another World, Zelda and Dark Souls. It's one of the Rift's launch titles from March 2016, but back then few had the medium or high-end video cards that many own today. This means that you can use Oculus Tray Tool to enable high levels of super-sampling making Chronos look better than ever. In Chronos I'm using super-sampling 2.0 and it looks awesome - mostly I get 90 fps, but occasionally fps may drop to 45, but it's no problem. I'd be surprised if GTX 1060 owners can't enable super-sampling 1.5 in this game. Recently the game has been patched to support Touch controllers. 

And of course this isn't a game worth a rating of 90 % - it's at least 95 % in my book: no Rift user should be without this amazing game/experience! 

3Jane
    edited August 20
    I just added Pixel Ripped 1989 to the list - it has gotten 40 ratings and an average rating of 90 % - here are some trailers:

• LuluViBritanniaLuluViBritannia Posts: 370
    Trinity
    edited August 22
    but it's not an easy problem to solve, also because some apps/games are new (=few ratings) and some are old (=many ratings).

That's actually right, haven't even thought of that ^^'. So we should rather use an average number of ratings per month, and also include the price as a factor to give a more accurate list. I'm not sure how to properly implement the latter, but I'll update my list to include the former.

Your list basically reflects only the number of ratings (with no regard to the average rating)

It actually just looks like it, but both these parameters have the same weight in the calculation ^^. Case in point : Beat Saber is in front of E:D thanks to its average rating. A huge gap in ratings do have weight with this method ; the thing is, there aren't much of a gap between ratings xD.

EDIT : Ok, I remade the list including the number of months since each game's launch. As of today (late August 2018), here is the list with a ratio (Average Rating) * (Nb of ratings per month) 

And, looking at that, it didn't actually solve the problem since now it mainly considers the number of rating per month xD. It did change the list, but it still has the same flaw (the gap in ratings is still more important). 
    The interesting point is : the Top 5 is still the same (although not in the same order). I guess we can call these "VR killer-apps" without doubt.

Without doing the math, I would say including the price as a factor still wouldn't change the Top 5 (but Lone Echo and E:D would earn a few places while Robo Recall would probably wind up 5th).
    Now I could try this, but it wouldn't feel very accurate for me, for one reason : regular sales. I didn't pay any of my VR games at full price, and I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one buying during sales xD.
    My point is, adding the price to the list may not be that accurate because we don't know the actual price each people put in their games.
    Previous VR face :

My current config : HP Omen laptop, 8 GB RAM, Intel i5-7300HQ @2.5GHz + Nvidia GTX 1050 (2GB VRAM).

Currently plays on :

- Beat Saber.
    - Windlands.
    - Skyrim VR.

I use VR for :
    - Games.
    - Art Software (Tilt Brush, Oculus Medium, Mocu Mocu Dance).
    - Cinema VR (Oculus Desktop or Virtual Desktop).

"You are allowed to kill only if you are prepared to die."
    3Jane
    edited August 26
    I gave in, obeyed the list and bough some *table tennis* :blush: And it actually was - amazing  <3 My short review of Racket Fury: Table Tennis VR, which I wrote today in the Oculus Store:

"Feels like the real thing!
    Awesome game, note that I don't care for multiplayer and only tested singleplayer. Graphics are nice and works in 90 fps using super sampling 2.0 on a GTX 1080 (forced by Oculus Tray tool) - but 90 fps only works when selecting the two other scenes/environments than the default one (GTX 1080 Ti and RTX 2080 owners may not experience this problem ;-) Especially the scene with the large planets taxes the video card the least. I paid just 7.5 bucks for this game - it simply feels like getting table tennis at home - but I can play against cool and different robots! The game quickly gets challenging, there's great fun for both beginners and advanced players. Physics effects are awesome - it feels like real gravity on the ball. Note that I used 360 degrees tracking, it may be important in this game. I experienced no problems hitting the ball, tracking was simply excellent - sound effects weren't too loud but perfect. For the price this game is a steal, you won't find better table tennis on the Rift for less than 10 bucks - if at all. Don't miss out on trying this gem: in the rare case that you don't like it, you can always get a refund."

Lately the game has gotten some neutral or bad reviews due to multiplayer problems, but the game costs less than 10 bucks and I don't agree that the game deserves lower ratings because multiplayer isn't working perfectly (or at all). The game's awesome singleplayer content - in my opinion - warrants a 5 stars rating. BTW, I deactivated the visual effects on the ball since these felt distracting - and it also helped gain a little more performance. 

The game looks and performs much better than indicated in the (boring) trailer. 

Hmmm, maybe I should jump in and buy Eleven: Table Tennis VR too, but I also need to decapitate some dudes in Gorn - so little time, so many games :) 

3Jane
    edited September 1
    And then it happened - the number 6 game on the mighty Oculus gaming list just went on sale - guess I'm bound to become a fan of VR table tennis  :D

https://www.oculus.com/experiences/app/989106554552337/

The game is rated 94% by 335 ratings in the Oculus Store - and on Steam it's maybe even better, a solid 10/10 by 992 ratings. 

I just bought the game  o:)

Many more awesome games are on sale - it ends in just two days:

https://www.oculus.com/experiences/rift/section/450371282118096/

PS. Also just bought this one - 90 % with 45 ratings:

3Jane
    Eleven Table Tennis is awesome - but it's very close to Racket Fury, and I must admit I like playing against robots better. Performance is similar - 2 out of 5 environments work perfectly a 90 fps ss 2.0 in Eleven Table Tennis on my oc'ed 1080, for strange reasons 3 environments pushes me down to 45 fps - or worse (even though not much is going on). I'm not sure that Eleven Table Tennis is better optimized than Racket Fury. I'm a very casual table tennis player - I'm thinking about refunding Eleven and keeping Racket Fury. 

Heart of the Emberstone is great, but controls could be much improved, it's strange that some devs don't support normal free Touch locomotion (it's HMD directed, when set to Touch joystick the controls work in a weird way - but I'm used to HMD-directed movement in Doom VFR). Then again, the slightly awkward controls do make the game special ;-) Feels a lot like Obduction being alone in an alien world, but I've only played the game for 30 minutes. Textures are awesome, works nicely using ss 2.0, but mostly in 45 fps, which isn't a problem in this game. 

3Jane
    edited September 9
    Virtual Virtual Reality just made the cut too - and achieved a 90 % average rating based on 42 ratings:

It's just $15:

https://www.oculus.com/experiences/rift/1554270381357502/

And Gorn is getting close, but still no cigar - 88 % based on 42 ratings  ;)