updated rift, now i get error everytime i try to recente position — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

updated rift, now i get error everytime i try to recente position

AllyITAAllyITA Posts: 2
NerveGear
i just updated my rift firmware.
now everytime i try to recenter the view i get this error:
"OVR49108750
reference device missing position: headset (1971005)"

i'm using the standard home interface (not the 2.0 because it doesn't work well with assetto corsa)

Comments

• AJB_999AJB_999 Posts: 5
    NerveGear
    Me too. Exactly the same issue since update.
  • AllyITAAllyITA Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    they replied to my ticket in the oculus support.
    all it took was to run the installer of home software, select the option repair and after that i did the full setup from the "devices" tab on the oculus software.
    now it works
  • CGH001CGH001 Posts: 32
    Brain Burst
    I've had this too since the firmware + 1.29 update. I'm running the standard home interface. It'll re-centre fine in games and in Oculus home if there's a game running but I get the error message if I'm just at the Oculus home page and try and re-centre when there's no game running. I ran the Oculus setup and chose the 'Repair' option and then did the full set up and it was fine then today I'm getting the same error again.
  • jackTorrentsjackTorrents Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    I'm having the same issue. I re-ran the installer and chose the repair option, and did the full setup. Once I did that, the error stopped appearing but the view still did not reset. I used Guardian Boundary Editor to clean up my boundaries, and the very next time I tried to recenter view I got the original error again. It makes me wonder if Guardian Boundary Editor is related to the issue. Do any of you use it? I may try to repair and full setup again and avoid GBE, but since the reset view works for apps, just not for Home, I may just live with it.
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 3,377 Valuable Player
    I may just live with it.
    I believe many may think the same - I did too. But off-center by nearly 90 degrees in my case, it's vey annoying. Also having to constantly recenter apps is annoying. 

It seems to me we're dealing with an issue caused by either the new firmware or 1.29. If that's true, then it's the perfect example to illustrate why I truly dislike being forced to install new firmware and updates to a - back then - perfectly working system. 
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    Can you all upload your LogGatherer zip file here? See this thread for how to get the file.
    https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/33792/how-to-get-logs-for-bug-reports-for-consumer-rift-1-3/p1
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
    edited August 2018
    AllyITA said:
    i just updated my rift firmware.
    now everytime i try to recenter the view i get this error:
    "OVR49108750
    reference device missing position: headset (1971005)"

i'm using the standard home interface (not the 2.0 because it doesn't work well with assetto corsa)

My problem is the same - the error codes are 100% identical:

I fixed the centering - at least for now - by performing a full setup. I've restarted my rig several times, classic Home is still perfectly centered. I have not tried to recenter classic Home just to test if the error is still there or not, I'd really dislike having to setup Guardian System and go through First Contact again... 

I've asked my contact at Oculus support if he could try to check if he can recenter classic Home using 1.29 and the new firmware (by pressing the left Touch's O button and using the menu to recenter view in classic Home) - it should be easy to find out if this issue affects all Rift headsets. 

I do appreciate that Oculus support didn't give me the standard "you should update all your drivers" reply  :)
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

edited August 2018
    I just tried to recenter the view in classic Home, and I got the same error message as before. So the issue is still there and is not resolved - but it's no longer a great problem to me, because I got classic Home nicely centered doing a full setup. Now it seems I can only recenter the view in classic Home doing a full setup.

• cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    You can also enable Core 2.0, recentering should be working there.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
    edited August 2018
    You can also enable Core 2.0, recentering should be working there.

Thanks, I'm a great fan of classic Home for reasons previously described (and I love my current Nvidia driver for Elite Dangerous, Doom VFR and FallOut 4 VR - I've got none of the graphic problems a lot of other users have been complaining about, and performance in some games seemed slightly worse using 39x).

It seems that for now only a full setup can recenter Home, and it's no big deal to me - at least not big enough to go through the latest suggestions I got from support, especially when other users are experiencing exactly the same issue (=I dont think my Rift, my cables or my installation is the problem). I just got the following advice from support - I'd be surprised if it helps and it'll be extremely time consuming:

"If you're still experiencing issues with resetting the view in the Classic Home, then we'll go through a manual uninstall so we can get a fresh installation. Please note that performing a manual uninstall will make any purchases made illegible for refund. Click here for more information on refund eligibility.

Please go through the following steps:

1. Disconnect your computer from the internet.
    2. Backup any necessary content.
    3. Reboot into Safe Mode.
    4. Uninstall Oculus Home using the Control Panel.
    5. Delete all Oculus folders from the following folder:
      • C:\Program Files
    6. Remove any Oculus folders from the following locations:
      • C:\OculusSetup-DownloadCache
      • C:\Users\YourUserProfile\AppData
      • C:\Users\YourUserProfile\AppData\Local
      • C:\Users\YourUserProfile\AppData\Local\Temp\OculusSetup
      • C:\Users\YourUserProfile\AppData\LocalLow
      • C:\Users\YourUserProfile\AppData\Roaming
    7. Restart your computer in normal mode.
    8. Reconnect your computer to the internet.
    9. Install Oculus Home again using the setup tool from our website by clicking here.

If the issue persists, please gather the Oculus Diagnostic logs. A guide on how to collect them may be found by clicking here. Please attach them to your next response."

Having to uninstall also contradicts the error message I get in classic Home: the error message doesn't say I have to uninstall/reinstall anything, but that Oculus is "working on getting it fixed" as soon as they can. I've got a lot of patience  o:)

I've asked support to close my case - but it would be great if the engineers are informed that there may be a problem affecting many users.  

BTW, I must say I like the responses from Cybereality (not questioning my cables, not asking me to reinstall etc.) much more than the suggestions from the official support - of course I'm aware the the official support is instructed to go through an escalating tree of standard responses, and that they may have a lot of customers who stepped on the cables etc. 

edited August 2018
    And a breakthrough - maybe - just got this kind reply from Oculus support - they were able to recreate the issue (I just love not having to consider a full re-installation). So my big thanks to the Oculus support for taking this issue seriously  <3

"I do want to say that I was able to get into the lab and recreate the issue and appreciate your patience and understanding in the manner. I'll make sure to report this issue with our team.

If it becomes too problematic, in the meanwhile, I would suggest using the Rift Core Beta 2.0 as it has been tested to work."

(BTW, I have been working with IT support for many years and pc gaming has been my hobby for more than 20 years, but of course I don't know that much about the Rift and I'm happy that I did not overlook some important software or hardware issue on my end)

• LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,774 Volunteer Moderator
    RuneSR2 said:
    And a breakthrough - maybe - just got this kind reply from Oculus support - they were able to recreate the issue (I just love not having to consider a full re-installation). So my big thanks to the Oculus support for taking this issue seriously  <3

"I do want to say that I was able to get into the lab and recreate the issue and appreciate your patience and understanding in the manner. I'll make sure to report this issue with our team.

If it becomes too problematic, in the meanwhile, I would suggest using the Rift Core Beta 2.0 as it has been tested to work."

(BTW, I have been working with IT support for many years and pc gaming has been my hobby for more than 20 years, but of course I don't know that much about the Rift and I'm happy that I did not overlook some important software or hardware issue on my end)

Glad things moved forward! You might get a bug named after you hahah ..

Although I hope people do start to get used to the idea that Home classic will not be around forever, it won't make sense to support both code bases in the future and I am sure Oculus will want everyone on the same page.
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)
    RuneSR2 said:

Glad things moved forward! You might get a bug named after you hahah ..

Although I hope people do start to get used to the idea that Home classic will not be around forever, it won't make sense to support both code bases in the future and I am sure Oculus will want everyone on the same page.
    Getting named after a bug would be really something  :D

Personally I do hope Oculus will give users a choice - reading the feedback to 1.29 it seems that many users would rather like Home 2.0 to be a $10 app and to keep our beloved classic Home ;-) But maybe we shouldn't start that discussion in here, this thread is about a specific error.