New To The Forum? Click Here To Read The How To Guide. -- Developers Click Here.

Possibility to use Rift with a Drone

I have seen various claims of this on YouTube but why nothing official yet?
I'd be looking at using HOTAS & Rift in my home to control an outside drone just to be simple.
Although there is no reason that we could not get to control a drone anywhere in the world outside on G4.
Yes it's probably very possible no doubt but then the consequences of responsibility would be a safety concern.
In UK I heard you now need a pilots license to fly drones in public. Not sure if this has been passed yet nor how this gets Policed either.
If we could potentially hire a drone on the other side of the world under licence to control from home - do it. They only have 30mins radius so it can't be so hard to licence this e.g. for locations hours away from population.

Comments

• Techy111Techy111 Posts: 4,877 Volunteer Moderator
    I fly a drone in the UK with fpv, no license as of yet. Have to stay under 400ft and away from airfields or airports. I got the yuneec breeze, great bit if kit.
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.
    And FlyInside Forum Admin.
    Flyinside Flight Simulator is coming !!!!! (In Beta)
  • MAC_MAN86MAC_MAN86 Posts: 975
    Neo
    How about the ability to actually fly it from home or even mobile laptop and using HOTAS + headlook of Rift to control the camera?

Well then you would get into the realm of the UAV and be governed by all the associated air laws......then you would need a license.
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.
  • MorgrumMorgrum Posts: 1,298 Poster of the Week
    Pfft i want airwolf mini!
    WAAAGH!
    Morgrum said:
    Pfft i want airwolf mini!
    Here ya go Sir =

• RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 4,797 Valuable Player
    @Techy111 - I didn't think you needed a licence if the drone weights less then 2Ib..
    Well onc you mount the thermal camera and rifle for the zombie apoc you hit 2lb rather quickly.
    WAAAGH!
    RedRizla said:
    @Techy111 - I didn't think you needed a licence if the drone weights less then 2Ib..
    250g from Nov 2019 fella = light reading lol = https://www.trustedreviews.com/news/uk-drone-laws-2018-3146402
    edited August 8
    Whats next passing a test to ride an ebike no doubt? Or should I say just an ordinary push bike.. Maybe passing a test for pushing a trolly around ASDA, since people are always trying to break my ankles with them..
    And lets stop kids skateboarding on the sidewalk!
    WAAAGH!
    Neo
    Although I wanted to keep this topic RIFT related, I did wonder if we are able to even pilot self-drive vehicles with the RIFT. Obviously the tech is indeed all there. The thing is what can stop this being a thing in reality?
  • kojackkojack Posts: 4,533 Volunteer Moderator
    In america, you have to register drones with the Federal Aviation Authority ($5 every 3 years). There are restrictions like drones must be under 55lbs, they must be within line of sight at all times (so can't sit inside while flying them outside) and you need to notify any airport within 5 miles before flying. This even applies to just hobby flying.
    (I'm sure most people don't register. But they are supposed to)

Displaying a video feed on the rift isn't hard. If you had a 180 degree fisheye lens on the drone then you can have looking around on the rift (without needing a motorised gimbal on the drone). Add a Tie Fighter style cockpit window to reduce sickness without obscuring the view much.

The hard bit is getting the video from the drone and sending controls back.

But from a VR point of view, a laptop with rift and hotas wouldn't be hard to do, if you had the radio hardware to grab the video signal and send controls.

• TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 281
    Nexus 6
    If you want to fly planes, heli’s, and drones without a license try RealFlight 8.  It’s a great RC flight simulator that works very well with the Rift.  I recommend buying it from Tower Hobbies or Horrizon Hobbies with its usb controller.
    Alienware 17r4 Laptop with i7-7700hq 2.8/3.6, 32 gb ram, gtx1060 w/6gb ram, 256gb ssd, 1tb hdd, Oculus Rift w/2x sensors.  Now using an Alienware Graphics Amplifier (AGA) with Zotac gtx1080ti Blower and Asus vg248qe 144hz external monitor.  All works great!

Also have a 64gb Oculus Go which I love for travel and quick VR Fixes.  Looking forward to the Quest!
    edited August 9
    TomCgcmfc said:
    If you want to fly planes, heli’s, and drones without a license try RealFlight 8.  It’s a great RC flight simulator that works very well with the Rift.  I recommend buying it from Tower Hobbies or Horrizon Hobbies with its usb controller.

I like the look of that but not the price. Could an Xbox controller not act similar to the remote making it a lot cheaper to buy? 
    Nexus 6
    I have not tried an Xbox controller but I understand it does work ok.
    Alienware 17r4 Laptop with i7-7700hq 2.8/3.6, 32 gb ram, gtx1060 w/6gb ram, 256gb ssd, 1tb hdd, Oculus Rift w/2x sensors.  Now using an Alienware Graphics Amplifier (AGA) with Zotac gtx1080ti Blower and Asus vg248qe 144hz external monitor.  All works great!

Also have a 64gb Oculus Go which I love for travel and quick VR Fixes.  Looking forward to the Quest!
    You could pick up a cheap controller for 20 quid and a trainer line in to the pc mate. You'd be better off with a transmitter :)
    Neo
    Forgetting about anything else, does anyone not want to control a small drone from their home using HOTAS?
    Then be able to fly a drone anywhere in the world where is permitted from your own home?
    I can see a hire company that could provide this and use the auto to home feature to return in time before the battery would die. Plus include a GPS to find it again if it does get lost. This would be a good recreational service away from population.
    Nexus 6
    edited August 9
    I'm not saying that this is a silly idea.  Heck I'd probably try it if this was available.  However, I think that potential control lag and system compatibility issues would make this somewhat impractical.  Also, if you are required to pay for any damages (or pay a very high insurance policy) this could end up being a scam magnet.

Neo
    OK so G4 is no good I take it unless say the hired drone was within range of a WiFi transmitter which there should be very little latency just as games perform for multiplayer. So lets say a trusted friend would set this up for you. Sure this is all possible from your own home?
    Nexus 6
    Sorry but most wifi for drones also has a lot of lag (up to 250ms with video feedback).  Also, it's range is somewhat limited.  Even most gamers avoid wireless controllers because of lag.

• kojackkojack Posts: 4,533 Volunteer Moderator
    MAC_MAN86 said:
    Forgetting about anything else, does anyone not want to control a small drone from their home using HOTAS?

A 3D Connexion controller would be great for quad copter drones. 6dof with one hand.
    :)

• KmaasssKmaasss Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    edited September 30
    Well, so we have to wait then?
    But stop waiting if you are looking for ready to fly drone! DJI Mavics 2 have been released! DJI Mavic 2 Pro review.