New To The Forum? Click Here To Read The How To Guide. -- Developers Click Here.

Oculus Rift DRIVER_OVERRAN_STACK_BUFFER BSOD Error

hschaefervspatialhschaefervspatial Posts: 9
NerveGear
While upgrading my headset to the latest firmware, my computer BSOD'd with a DRIVER_OVERRAN_STACK_BUFFER error code. After recovering from the crash, launching the Oculus app would cause the same BSOD error. I've reinstalled oculus, updated my graphics drivers and windows but the issue still occurs. If I unplug the headset's USB the app launches fine, but when plugging the headset back in, it flashes in the device menu with an "Error" status, then causes the BSOD. 

I'm on x64 Windows 10 version 10.0.17134 Build 17134, NVidia GeForce GTX 980 Driver version 398.82, Intel Core i7-6700K

Comments

• cyberealitycybereality Posts: 25,400 Oculus Staff
    Can you grab your LogGatherer zip file and upload somewhere like Google Drive for me to take a look?
    https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/33792/how-to-get-logs-for-bug-reports-for-consumer-rift-1-3/p1
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • hschaefervspatialhschaefervspatial Posts: 9
    NerveGear
    Update: I've run the oculus-driver exe and my problem still persists. However, I noticed that the oculus app works while my headset's USB is connected but as soon as I connect my HDMI to mini display port it blue screens. 
    Okay, thanks. Let me share this with the team.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
    NerveGear
    If it's helpful, I've also created a ticket: #586440
  • paul.pedrianapaul.pedriana Posts: 38 Oculus Staff
    We need the blue screen Windows dump file to diagnose this. In particular, what driver crashed? OP could also run https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html against the blue screen dmp file.

NerveGear
    Here is a zip of my 3 most recent windows blue screen dumps:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1G3kzjIA4Xdq3-gfU8ClpC5w1adF_iqqx/view?usp=sharing
    Thanks for posting.
    NerveGear
    edited August 8
    BlueScreenView determined that nvlddmkm.sys was the driver responsible for the crash. Googling around to see if anyone has had issues with that driver & DRIVER_OVERRAN_STACK_BUFFER. Reinstalling my graphics driver manually didn't solve anything. 
  • paul.pedrianapaul.pedriana Posts: 38 Oculus Staff
    This is the NVidia kernel mode GPU driver. Is it OK if we forward the blue screen report to NVidia? And is it OK if we have NVidia comment here or to you directly?
    NerveGear
    Yes that would be great!
  • tyler.byers.16tyler.byers.16 Posts: 7
    NerveGear
    I got a message to install new Oculus firmware last night and now am having this exact same issue after installing the firmware. Same driver is responsible for crash, same error message, etc. So far I have tried un-installing/re-installing various Nvidia drivers, restoring to an earlier backup, checkdisk /r, and basically anything else I found via google for DRIVER_OVERRAN_STACK_BUFFER and Nvidia Kernel searches. Nothing has worked. I've reinstalled and repaired Oculus 3-4 times now and it has just gotten weirder each time. Currently it is giving me the "We're having trouble starting Oculus" message. Hope this gets fixed soon. Is there a way to roll back the firmware to do some more testing?
  • jef32jef32 Posts: 42
    Brain Burst
    edited August 9
    As my earphone system is broken, for me since last update, my Oculus doesn't work anymore. I've opened a ticket, they're working about the issue, they told me but I see i'm not alone to have serious issues since the last update. I wait patiently but I begin to find the time long. All is like as if the rift is unknown by the system.

NerveGear
    I got a message to install new Oculus firmware last night and now am having this exact same issue after installing the firmware. 
    Tyler, what graphics card are you using? 
    Can you try running "oculus-driver.exe" in:
    C:\Program Files\Oculus\Support\oculus-drivers
    NerveGear
    Ran the oculus-drivers exe, problem still persists. 
    NerveGear
    I got a message to install new Oculus firmware last night and now am having this exact same issue after installing the firmware. 
    Tyler, what graphics card are you using? 
    I've got a Clevo P870DM-G with a desktop 980 in it. 
  • pidge916pidge916 Posts: 7
    NerveGear
    Hi my name is Manuel and I am part of the NVIDIA Customer Care team.  The Oculus team gave us a heads up about your issue.  We need a full kernel dump to get more information about this issue.  Can you collect a full dump file as described below and then upload it to a file sharing service like Google Drive and email me the link to download the file to [email protected]?

https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4641

If you zip up the file, it should greatly reduce the size of the file.  Please link to this thread in your email to me so I know which issue your dump file is for.  Also if possible could you fill out the feedback form below so that we have your system configuration to try and setup a system as close to yours as possible to reproduce?

https://surveys.nvidia.com/index.jsp?pi=6e7ea6bb4a02641fa8f07694a40f8ac6
  • Muddyn.OFearghailMuddyn.OFearghail Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    edited August 10
    I'm having the exact same issue and i also have the GTX 980. i tried to use some Archive Nvidia drivers since i recebtly updated nvidia drivers AND the Oculus software. To no avail. Is it somehow possible to retrieve the previous version of the oculus software until this gets fixed?
    NerveGear
    Here is my WhoCrashed report. I'll get started on getting the other reports for you guys.

NerveGear
    This may also just be my perception, but it seems like my computers is taking longer and longer to report to Microsoft when it crashes. No idea if that is related, but thought I would mention it.
  • pidge916pidge916 Posts: 7
    NerveGear
    Here is my WhoCrashed report. I'll get started on getting the other reports for you guys.

Sorry but we need the full dump file as described in my previous post.  
    NerveGear
    pidge916 said:

Sorry but we need the full dump file as described in my previous post.  
    I tried to submit another post here a few times but it said it is waiting for approval...anyways, when I go the process for that full dump file I get a different BSoD for Driver_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL stemming from myfault.sys. Not sure what to do now. Any advice?
    NerveGear
    pidge916 said:
    Hi my name is Manuel and I am part of the NVIDIA Customer Care team.  The Oculus team gave us a heads up about your issue.  We need a full kernel dump to get more information about this issue.  Can you collect a full dump file as described below and then upload it to a file sharing service like Google Drive and email me the link to download the file to [email protected]?

https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4641

If you zip up the file, it should greatly reduce the size of the file.  Please link to this thread in your email to me so I know which issue your dump file is for.  Also if possible could you fill out the feedback form below so that we have your system configuration to try and setup a system as close to yours as possible to reproduce?

https://surveys.nvidia.com/index.jsp?pi=6e7ea6bb4a02641fa8f07694a40f8ac6
    Hi Manuel, 
    I just tried this tonight and actually ended up getting another BSoD... What should I do now?
    I approved your message and upgraded your account so you won't have this problem again.
    NerveGear
    I approved your message and upgraded your account so you won't have this problem again.
    Thanks!
  • Wozman420Wozman420 Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    I just let it update my headset to the newest firmware and now I'm having exactly the same issue...
    I'll try to get a system dump and send it to nvidia, but everything was working fine before the firmware update.