New To The Forum? Click Here To Read The How To Guide. -- Developers Click Here.

Battery Life

Alun101_ukAlun101_uk Posts: 19
NerveGear
Question for Oculus team:  with many users confirming battery life is approx 2.5 hours or less when watching movies, are Oculus working on a software fix that might increase battery life?

Comments

• StayPuft83StayPuft83 Posts: 27
    Brain Burst
    My own personal experience has suggested even less than 2.5 hours. I've never specifically tried clocking it... but I generally tend to be watching two shows concurrently on either Netflix or Hulu. I've always got one longer show (generally around 42 minutes) and one shorter show (generally around 23 minutes) that I watch each day.

So that is only just over an hour. Even going from a 100% charge, just after those two shows and basically nothing else, I've seen it dip to 50% or even less. So, theoretically I wouldn't get much more than 2 hours or so. So, that would be enough for SOME movies, but there are a lot of movies longer than 2 hours. Not to mention, even if I would be able to watch a short enough movie, it would wind up being basically all I'd be able to do before having to charge it again.

I've been able to make due anyway and don't care all that much (watching movies in it was only a nice to have for me), but I'd still love anything that could be done to increase the battery life. 
  • LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 5,484 Volunteer Moderator
    Have you tried to take the screen brightness down to 50%? I heard it helps.
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 25,400 Oculus Staff
    I've gotten up to 3 hours of battery life myself (in the best case). Between 2 and 3 hours is normal (but can be less with intensive applications like games). Should be long enough to watch most movies, but I understand the concern.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • geebee666geebee666 Posts: 169
    Art3mis
    edited August 13
    I have watched streamed from Pc videos using Skybox VR 2 1/2 hours long without charging and last night I spent over 2 hours on YouTube mostly and hit 50% which means 4 hour should be possible.
    In real life use I find the battery adequate, if i use it through the day I just plug it in to the charger to top up so I always start from fully charged for the next use.