New To The Forum? Click Here To Read The How To Guide. -- Developers Click Here.

Running Oculus With An Older Rig?

fcp4lifefcp4life Posts: 2
NerveGear
Got an older rig I built back in 2012 with a I've upgraded my RAM to 16GB all G.SKill Ripjaws DDR3 and recently picked up a MSI GTX 1060 Armor edition (3GB) for $120 and I currently have an I5 2500 (non k) I have been looking and it seems that I can upgrade to an I7 3770K for less than $200 (Motherboard is EVGA Z68 SLI Micro - LGA 1155 Socket)... is it worth it? would I be able to run VR? it would mainly be for Sim-Racing (Asseto Corsa, Project Cars. etc..) don't need ultra high settings, or would it be better picking up an ultrawide monitor?

Comments

• RolzRolz Posts: 157
    Art3mis
    I use mine basically souly for AC
    I used to have a I7 3770K and got a warning it wasn't capable in Oculus home but I had mine OC'd and it worked fine with a 980ti..Just keep in game apps to a minimum... as they smash the CPU.
    Should do fine with ASW
  • fcp4lifefcp4life Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    Rolz said:
    I use mine basically souly for AC
    I used to have a I7 3770K and got a warning it wasn't capable in Oculus home but I had mine OC'd and it worked fine with a 980ti..Just keep in game apps to a minimum... as they smash the CPU.
    Should do fine with ASW
    What do you mean by in-game apps? 
  • cleanupdisccleanupdisc Posts: 206
    Nexus 6
    You should have got the 6gb version of the 1060. The 3gb version will hold you back and you may need to play many games at low textures, and wont be able to play many newer games because of the 3gb restriction.