Did you mean: 

Megatron Rainfall looks like a genuinely great superhero game

MowTin
Expert Trustee
This shows it in Oculus

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGQnVihj3b0

This review talks more in-depth about why it's a great game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJFBbAsp-go

Better than MPU? I don't know but I'll buy it and give it a try. 
i7 9700k 3090 rtx   CV1, Rift-S, Index, G2
15 REPLIES 15

falken76
Expert Consultant
It looks better than MPU.

MowTin
Expert Trustee

falken76 said:

It looks better than MPU.

Yeah, I think I've had enough of collecting power cells. 

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
It certainly does not - in any way - look better than MPU 😉

I really wanted to like the game - it's based on the most awesome idea - but you can't pack the universe into a 850MB box - and it shows - my review, sadly:

"The blurriest textures on the Rift?
Extremely blurry game, this game does not respond to Oculus Tray Tool (OTT) at all, thus I can't enable super-sampling (OTT is on, it just doesn't do anything - I've never experienced that before) - and if there's one thing these mega-ton-blurry textures need it's super-sampling. I activated the Oculus Tray Tool HUD for Pixel Density and got - nothing - no value is registered in the HUD. Disabling OTT did nothing either. So this game is special and overrides usual Rift settings. AA and anything with "SSAO MB" resulted in mega-mega-blurry (but antialiased!) textures - simply horribly to look at, like someone dripped liquid butter in my eyes 😉 So do yourself a favor - get the best and most crisp textures by completely disabling AA (and worse) in the menu. I maxed out the other (tesselation) settings with no problems. Using 1080, 7700k, 16GB. Frame rate was great - then again game looks like it's using a super-sampling value of 0.5... It was fun to fly around and this game is based on an awesome idea - but I simply can't - and won't - accept such mega-extremely mega-poor textures. This game in no way represents the awesome quality the Rift is known for, it feels like a badly ported game from the PS4. I will have to refund this game, sorry."

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

MowTin
Expert Trustee

RuneSR2 said:

It certainly does not - in any way - look better than MPU 😉

I really wanted to like the game - it's based on the most awesome idea - but you can't pack the universe into a 850MB box - and it shows - my review, sadly:

"The blurriest textures on the Rift?
Extremely blurry game, this game does not respond to Oculus Tray Tool (OTT) at all, thus I can't enable super-sampling (OTT is on, it just doesn't do anything - I've never experienced that before) - and if there's one thing these mega-ton-blurry textures need it's super-sampling. I activated the Oculus Tray Tool HUD for Pixel Density and got - nothing - no value is registered in the HUD. Disabling OTT did nothing either. So this game is special and overrides usual Rift settings. AA and anything with "SSAO MB" resulted in mega-mega-blurry (but antialiased!) textures - simply horribly to look at, like someone dripped liquid butter in my eyes 😉 So do yourself a favor - get the best and most crisp textures by completely disabling AA (and worse) in the menu. I maxed out the other (tesselation) settings with no problems. Using 1080, 7700k, 16GB. Frame rate was great - then again game looks like it's using a super-sampling value of 0.5... It was fun to fly around and this game is based on an awesome idea - but I simply can't - and won't - accept such mega-extremely mega-poor textures. This game in no way represents the awesome quality the Rift is known for, it feels like a badly ported game from the PS4. I will have to refund this game, sorry."

Oh no, maybe it will be sorted out in a patch.

MowTin
Expert Trustee
@RuneSR2

Did you turn off all post processing? In the reddit they claim that fixed the blur

Heads up for everyone with blur issues, turn off aa + sma + blur ++ which was on by default for me 1080ti. Looks MUCH better after

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/95wlsc/megaton_rainfall_impressions/

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
^^
Let me know if this truly works out. If so, I may pick up the game over the weekend.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
I ended up buying the game (I didn't realize it was only $14.99)

I disabled the post-processing stuff and the game is not blurry for me. However, the textures are certainly not up-to-par with standard Rift games.

That being said, I love the concept so much that I'm going to keep the game. I'll complete a level every so often until I hit the end-game. It's nothing to get obsessed over, but I most certainly enjoy what this offers. If a game was made specifically for the Rift that incorporates these concepts then omfg what an experience that would be!

I completed level one and actually failed the first mission when it came to stopping the Alien Boss .The cinematic of the Alien mothership blowing an entire town to hell was amazing to experience in VR (even with low quality textures).

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

MowTin said:

@RuneSR2

Did you turn off all post processing? In the reddit they claim that fixed the blur

Heads up for everyone with blur issues, turn off aa + sma + blur ++ which was on by default for me 1080ti. Looks MUCH better after

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/95wlsc/megaton_rainfall_impressions/

Of course I did - I've written that directly in my review days ago:

Quote: 

"AA and anything with "SSAO MB" resulted in mega-mega-blurry (but antialiased!) textures - simply horribly to look at, like someone dripped liquid butter in my eyes 😉 So do yourself a favor - get the best and most crisp textures by completely disabling AA (and worse) in the menu. "

But then there're jaggies (due to no AA and the truly low-res image quality) and we're back to the need to activate super-sampling. So disabling AA and post-processing didn't help me enough. I tested all the 4 options (off, AA and the two SSAO post-processing options).

Small things like being unable to use the menus without using my keyboard tells me that the devs didn't secure proper QA. 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

Zenbane said:

I ended up buying the game (I didn't realize it was only $14.99)

I disabled the post-processing stuff and the game is not blurry for me. However, the textures are certainly not up-to-par with standard Rift games.

That being said, I love the concept so much that I'm going to keep the game. I'll complete a level every so often until I hit the end-game. It's nothing to get obsessed over, but I most certainly enjoy what this offers. If a game was made specifically for the Rift that incorporates these concepts then omfg what an experience that would be!

I completed level one and actually failed the first mission when it came to stopping the Alien Boss .The cinematic of the Alien mothership blowing an entire town to hell was amazing to experience in VR (even with low quality textures).

That's good to know. Do let us know if the devs ever fix the textures, or if other major improvements are made to the game, thanks!  🙂