New to the forums? Click here to read the How To guide. -- Developers click here.

Megatron Rainfall looks like a genuinely great superhero game

MowTinMowTin Posts: 1,118
Wintermute
edited August 9 in Games and Apps
This shows it in Oculus

This review talks more in-depth about why it's a great game

Better than MPU? I don't know but I'll buy it and give it a try. 

Comments

• falken76falken76 Posts: 2,613 Valuable Player
    It looks better than MPU.

• MowTinMowTin Posts: 1,118
    Wintermute
    falken76 said:
    It looks better than MPU.

Yeah, I think I've had enough of collecting power cells. 
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 914
    3Jane
    edited August 9
    It certainly does not - in any way - look better than MPU ;)

I really wanted to like the game - it's based on the most awesome idea - but you can't pack the universe into a 850MB box - and it shows - my review, sadly:

"The blurriest textures on the Rift?
    Extremely blurry game, this game does not respond to Oculus Tray Tool (OTT) at all, thus I can't enable super-sampling (OTT is on, it just doesn't do anything - I've never experienced that before) - and if there's one thing these mega-ton-blurry textures need it's super-sampling. I activated the Oculus Tray Tool HUD for Pixel Density and got - nothing - no value is registered in the HUD. Disabling OTT did nothing either. So this game is special and overrides usual Rift settings. AA and anything with "SSAO MB" resulted in mega-mega-blurry (but antialiased!) textures - simply horribly to look at, like someone dripped liquid butter in my eyes ;-) So do yourself a favor - get the best and most crisp textures by completely disabling AA (and worse) in the menu. I maxed out the other (tesselation) settings with no problems. Using 1080, 7700k, 16GB. Frame rate was great - then again game looks like it's using a super-sampling value of 0.5... It was fun to fly around and this game is based on an awesome idea - but I simply can't - and won't - accept such mega-extremely mega-poor textures. This game in no way represents the awesome quality the Rift is known for, it feels like a badly ported game from the PS4. I will have to refund this game, sorry."
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz boost, 11 Ghz ram); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Oculus Rift CV1 - nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR" ;-)
    Wintermute
    RuneSR2 said:
    It certainly does not - in any way - look better than MPU ;)

I really wanted to like the game - it's based on the most awesome idea - but you can't pack the universe into a 850MB box - and it shows - my review, sadly:

"The blurriest textures on the Rift?
    Extremely blurry game, this game does not respond to Oculus Tray Tool (OTT) at all, thus I can't enable super-sampling (OTT is on, it just doesn't do anything - I've never experienced that before) - and if there's one thing these mega-ton-blurry textures need it's super-sampling. I activated the Oculus Tray Tool HUD for Pixel Density and got - nothing - no value is registered in the HUD. Disabling OTT did nothing either. So this game is special and overrides usual Rift settings. AA and anything with "SSAO MB" resulted in mega-mega-blurry (but antialiased!) textures - simply horribly to look at, like someone dripped liquid butter in my eyes ;-) So do yourself a favor - get the best and most crisp textures by completely disabling AA (and worse) in the menu. I maxed out the other (tesselation) settings with no problems. Using 1080, 7700k, 16GB. Frame rate was great - then again game looks like it's using a super-sampling value of 0.5... It was fun to fly around and this game is based on an awesome idea - but I simply can't - and won't - accept such mega-extremely mega-poor textures. This game in no way represents the awesome quality the Rift is known for, it feels like a badly ported game from the PS4. I will have to refund this game, sorry."
    Oh no, maybe it will be sorted out in a patch.
    Wintermute
    @RuneSR2

Did you turn off all post processing? In the reddit they claim that fixed the blur

Heads up for everyone with blur issues, turn off aa + sma + blur ++ which was on by default for me 1080ti. Looks MUCH better after

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/95wlsc/megaton_rainfall_impressions/

• ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 12,284 Power Poster
    ^^
    Let me know if this truly works out. If so, I may pick up the game over the weekend.
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
    edited August 10
    I ended up buying the game (I didn't realize it was only $14.99)

I disabled the post-processing stuff and the game is not blurry for me. However, the textures are certainly not up-to-par with standard Rift games.

That being said, I love the concept so much that I'm going to keep the game. I'll complete a level every so often until I hit the end-game. It's nothing to get obsessed over, but I most certainly enjoy what this offers. If a game was made specifically for the Rift that incorporates these concepts then omfg what an experience that would be!

I completed level one and actually failed the first mission when it came to stopping the Alien Boss .The cinematic of the Alien mothership blowing an entire town to hell was amazing to experience in VR (even with low quality textures).

3Jane
    edited August 11
    MowTin said:
    @RuneSR2

Did you turn off all post processing? In the reddit they claim that fixed the blur

Heads up for everyone with blur issues, turn off aa + sma + blur ++ which was on by default for me 1080ti. Looks MUCH better after

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/95wlsc/megaton_rainfall_impressions/

Of course I did - I've written that directly in my review days ago:

Quote: 

"AA and anything with "SSAO MB" resulted in mega-mega-blurry (but antialiased!) textures - simply horribly to look at, like someone dripped liquid butter in my eyes ;-) So do yourself a favor - get the best and most crisp textures by completely disabling AA (and worse) in the menu. "

But then there're jaggies (due to no AA and the truly low-res image quality) and we're back to the need to activate super-sampling. So disabling AA and post-processing didn't help me enough. I tested all the 4 options (off, AA and the two SSAO post-processing options).

Small things like being unable to use the menus without using my keyboard tells me that the devs didn't secure proper QA. 
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz boost, 11 Ghz ram); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Oculus Rift CV1 - nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

3Jane
    Zenbane said:
    I ended up buying the game (I didn't realize it was only $14.99)

I disabled the post-processing stuff and the game is not blurry for me. However, the textures are certainly not up-to-par with standard Rift games.

That being said, I love the concept so much that I'm going to keep the game. I'll complete a level every so often until I hit the end-game. It's nothing to get obsessed over, but I most certainly enjoy what this offers. If a game was made specifically for the Rift that incorporates these concepts then omfg what an experience that would be!

I completed level one and actually failed the first mission when it came to stopping the Alien Boss .The cinematic of the Alien mothership blowing an entire town to hell was amazing to experience in VR (even with low quality textures).

That's good to know. Do let us know if the devs ever fix the textures, or if other major improvements are made to the game, thanks!  :)

I flew down to street level and watched the cars and people running around. It looks... quite bad lol

This game is definitely NOT about the "details." It's about the higher level experience of flying above the Earth and racing to kill giant Aliens.

If this game had better textures though, it would be quite close to a "killer app."
    Wintermute
    Zenbane said:
    I flew down to street level and watched the cars and people running around. It looks... quite bad lol

This game is definitely NOT about the "details." It's about the higher level experience of flying above the Earth and racing to kill giant Aliens.

If this game had better textures though, it would be quite close to a "killer app."
    Maybe if Oculus would help out with games like this.

That's why I think Oculus needs to focus more on ports and supporting VR ports and mods. Oculus should be working on Skyrim VR targeted at VR. They should focus on making Megaton Rainfall a better PC VR experience. 

These devs can't afford to do this because there is little return in such a small market. Oculus is spending millions on games that are just short experiences that won't sell a platform. 
    Wintermute
    edited August 14
    I just bought this game a few hours ago. Based on some of the responses I was planning to wait for possible updates but I'm glad I bought it.

It's only $15. The download is a mere 800 MB so you know this isn't some big studio game. It's very much an indie game.

The textures are not good but after playing it, I realize that this game is not at all about textures. It's just a very fun and cool game. It seems that it takes some time to get used to the flight and mechanics but as you do it's a lot of fun and *gasp* challenging. 

I turned off all post processing and set everything to Very HIgh. Again, this game is not about textures. It's more about seeing these cities get destroyed as you try to save people. 

Edit: There is one valid criticism that I failed to mention. You shoot using a throwing gesture but you aim with your head and crosshair. That could really be improved. 
    Wintermute
    edited August 15
    I got to the part where you get super-luminal flight. Flying through the rings of Saturn was amazing.

This game lets you fly around literally a universe so you shouldn't expect crips textures. It's some really cool tech. This is the kind of experience that VR is all about. It's something impossible in real life.  

^^
    Holy crap! Thanks for sharing this MowTin. I can't wait to jump back in!
    Wintermute
    Destroy the earth