New To The Forum? Click Here To Read The How To Guide. -- Developers Click Here.

Is Capt Picard returning ?

Techy111Techy111 Posts: 4,581 Volunteer Moderator
For trekkies I found this on the tube and is he hinting at Jean Luc returning to the big screen?

A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.
And FlyInside Forum Admin.
Flyinside Flight Simulator is coming !!!!! (In Beta)

Comments

• Digikid1Digikid1 Posts: 953
    3Jane
    Yup he is. Excellent news indeed however I remain REALLY cautious about this......todays reboots/continuations are bad. Look at the STD disaster.....

However Patrick Steward will leave a role if it’s bad so I am sure it’ll be fine. 
  • Techy111Techy111 Posts: 4,581 Volunteer Moderator
    Will it be a TNG reboot or will he appear a la Kirk in the movie from the past? Oooh damn exciting :)
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.
  • DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 3,736 Valuable Player
    edited August 10

Yep new series about Picard after Starfleet. Should be interesting as long as it doesn't get too bogged down in relationships… I was never a fan on Star Trek episodes where that happened. Much more interested in the unpredictable episodes about new ideas and exploration of new worlds and concepts, especially where time travel played a part... The City on the Edge of Forever still my all time favourite.

Still, it could be good.

Intel 5820K [email protected], Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1803 (17134.165)
  • LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 5,484 Volunteer Moderator
    Yup, the series will pick up after "Nemesis" ...

List of some of my fav TNG episodes, because no one asked for them:

Elementary Dear data (Computer creates a Holodeck Character Moriarty that gains consciousness)
    Q-Who (First borg encounter)
    Yesterdays Enterprise
    The Best of Both worlds 1 and 2 (BORG!)
    Remember Me (Best scene where Dr Crusher is arguing with the computer about the size of the universe)
    Conundrum (everyone's memory is wiped)
    Cause and Effect (the time loop and everything repeats over and over)
    The Inner Light (P. Stewart flexing those acting muscles)
    Time Scape
    Nth-Degree - Barclay turns into a super genius ... so many good scenes there
    The Survivors
    Brothers 

It always amazes me how easily Data takes over the Enterprise:

Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)
  • vannagirlvannagirl Posts: 1,828 Valuable Player
    Ohh do not mind me,

i just came in to see if i could guess the posters.

yup, I totes nailed it!!!
    Look, man. I only need to know one thing: where they are. 
    Admit it, you love it  B)
  • vannagirlvannagirl Posts: 1,828 Valuable Player
    Techy111 said:
    Ohh for sure

Do you think they will finally have Darth Vader in this series??
    Look, man. I only need to know one thing: where they are. 
    vannagirl said:
    Ohh do not mind me,

i just came in to see if i could guess the posters.

yup, I totes nailed it!!!
    are you saying we're predictable? I'm very unpredictable... to the point where people can immediately tell when I'm going to be unpredictable
    Intel 5820K [email protected], Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1803 (17134.165)
     Predictably unpredictable Is what you're saying then ?
    Dependable.. I like that word
  • MorgrumMorgrum Posts: 1,235 Poster of the Week
    edited August 10
    Yup, the series will pick up after "Nemesis" ...

List of some of my fav TNG episodes, because no one asked for them:

Elementary Dear data (Computer creates a Holodeck Character Moriarty that gains consciousness)
    Q-Who (First borg encounter)
    Yesterdays Enterprise
    The Best of Both worlds 1 and 2 (BORG!)
    Remember Me (Best scene where Dr Crusher is arguing with the computer about the size of the universe)
    Conundrum (everyone's memory is wiped)
    Cause and Effect (the time loop and everything repeats over and over)
    The Inner Light (P. Stewart flexing those acting muscles)
    Time Scape
    Nth-Degree - Barclay turns into a super genius ... so many good scenes there
    The Survivors
    Brothers 

It always amazes me how easily Data takes over the Enterprise:

Which is the one with the flute when he lived an entire lifetime in the past?
    That has got to be my favorite one.
    WAAAGH!

That was The Inner Light, very good episode, a lifetime lived within a few minutes. Voyager had kind of a similar concept with a planet where time passes thousands of times faster than the rest of the world (Blink of an Eye). A nod back to the TOS episode Wink of an Eye, also my favourite with the time accelerated people sounding like buzzing insects.

You guys played with https://stage-9.co.uk/? The virtual TNG Enterprise? Latest Version 10 is not VR, but 0.9 is which is a tiny bit clunky but still a great experience (engineering, shuttle bay, bridge etc are all faithfully recreated)

They will port 0.11 to VR once that is out in the near future. But 0.9 is still a lot of fun to mess about in.
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Morgrum said:
    Which is the one with the flute when he lived an entire lifetime in the past?
    That has got to be my favorite one.
    You may already know but interestingly the person playing Picard's son was Picard's son (Stewart's I mean)
    I actually did not know that.
    Pretty damn cool.

Im happy to see more TNG but I do wish Blunt talk had continued though.
    WAAAGH!

you are a true fan Mr Mogrum!

I haven't tried that LZ, don't know why! I remember there was an Enterprise-D Bridge done during the DK1/2 days by Enda O'Conner, wonder if the current one is a development of that, I'd forgotten about it.

you are a true fan Mr Mogrum!

I haven't tried that LZ, don't know why! I remember there was an Enterprise-D Bridge done during the DK1/2 days by Enda O'Conner, wonder if the current one is a development of that, I'd forgotten about it.

You should definitely do it

Meticulously re-created
    • Main Bridge (4 versions, Yesterdays Enterprise, First Contact etc)
    • Ready Room
    • Observation Lounge
    • Nine and Ten Forward
    • Battle Bridge
    • Sickbay
    • Dr Crusher’s Office
    • Picard’s, Worf’s, and Data’s Quarters
    • Holodecks
    • Transporter Room
    • Shuttlebays Main (1) and 2
    • Stellar Cartography
    • Corridors on many decks
    • TurboLifts
    You can take the shuttle and pilot it around the enterpise, perform a saucer separation, fire torpedoes, use a hand-held Phaser, try out a tricorder, engage red alert .. etc ...

That is all in 0.9 VR 

Non VR 0.10 has tonnes of improvements, better crew models, better lighting and textures, little missions, working replicators, etc etc ..

Oh and you can stand on top of the enterprise and engage warp .... the sense of scale is superb lol

Thats pretty damn epic
    WAAAGH!
  • kojackkojack Posts: 4,367 Volunteer Moderator

I actually started to get into Discovery after a while (but then again I liked Enterprise, which most people seem to hate).
    But it was definitely a different direction for the franchise.
    I guess I just like Tardigrades. And Tilly. Tilly is awesome. :)
    But the new klingon design is stupid. Screw that.

The klingon design seems stupid because it's not what it was previously, with every iteration of the series, the budgets get bigger and prosthetics get cheaper

thusly we get this progression:

Image result for Klingon progression

to:

Related image

To:

Related image

Klingons in discovery served a main story arc, they needed to be fearsome, armoured, regal, ruthless and imperial feeling. I think the design was outstanding. It made them more "Menacing mofo's that could kill you with their pinkie" and not "I have a scar on my forehead and always sound like a Scottish drunkard in a Pub in Glasgow" 

I think they were finally given the actual look they deserved, and the set pieces for the ships interiors were glorious. Opulent, violent and over the top .. just like Klingons should be.

I'm ashamed to say I'm a huge STD fan. The dark side of this series is a breath of fresh air. Roll on series 2. And cheers LZ downloading now !!!!
    Techy111 said:
    I'm ashamed to say I'm a huge STD fan. The dark side of this series is a breath of fresh air. Roll on series 2. And cheers LZ downloading now !!!!
    STD was awesome, cant wait for Season 2 ... a trek series that looked like a mini-movie, every episode .. 

The spore drive was fecking amazing:

edited August 10
    The season 2 trailer looks promising... just having Captain Pike on the bridge in proper command colours is enough for me. Red is for engineering & security... and expendable away-team members.
    edited August 10
    I loved STD and yes i hated the look of the Klingins but and least keep the way they speek the same.
    Klingon is a harsh gutteral language derived when the gods of metal got scracthy throats.
    Not a soft spoken pained whisper.
    Yes the first season of enterprise was hit and miss but the second one was really good.
    Shame it got axed so early.
    Look at TNG and DSN the first few seasons were hit and miss them Bam!
    Capt Sisko was a badass. 
    Not the ambassador or explorer of either Picard or Kirk but if you had to bear down and give what you get with limited resources Sisko was the man you want in command.

Hands down worst of all time was Capt Janeway the only redeaming factor was Seven of Nine in skintight Lycra.
    WAAAGH!
  • kojackkojack Posts: 4,367 Volunteer Moderator

I think they were finally given the actual look they deserved

No design can match the coolness of Gowron!

I guess I'd just prefer some more variety of species. Rather than changing so much of the klingon design, make a new species. I liked how DS9 brought the Cardassians to the forefront then Jem Hadar, Voyager had a bunch of new ones like Species 8472 (although too much borg, I don't like borg), Enterprise has the suliban, xindi and even fleshed out the andorians into a much more interesting species. I would have liked them to focus on a different neglected star trek species and revamp them.

Otherwise getting klingons is a bit like watching doctor who and it's yet another dalek episode.

Or my main pet peeve with scifi shows, maybe they should have taken a little bit of that klingon makeup budget and used it to not cheap out on the set design for the pilot episode's ship. They fly it using an unmodified Saitek X52 throttle!

Come on, at least save up and splurge for a HOTAS Warthog like The Expanse and Lost In Space did.
    :)

• snowdogsnowdog Posts: 4,700 Power Poster
    vannagirl said:
    Techy111 said:
    Ohh for sure

Except I haven't posted anything!
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 4,700 Power Poster
    Oh bugger.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
    3Jane
    edited August 10
    vannagirl said:
    Techy111 said:
    Ohh for sure

HERETIC!!!!!!!!!  :D
    3Jane
    Am I the only Trekkie here that hates STD?

Loved Enterprise though. Excellent series.