New To The Forum? Click Here To Read The How To Guide. -- Developers Click Here.

Brilliant haha

RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 4,797 Valuable Player

Comments

• Digikid1Digikid1 Posts: 1,224
    Wintermute
    He was wrong on a couple points. However most of it was on point. 
  • WildtWildt Posts: 1,455 Poster of the Week
    Seemed like common knowledge, so I skipped through most of it, but luckily I caught the bit were he commented on how ones ability to perceive high framerates was depending on ones arousal level, which was followed by a Quagmire *GIGGETY* sound que..  made me laugh :lol:
    Asus Z370-A ||  Watercooled 8700K || 16 GB gSkill ram 3200 || Samsung SSD 840PRO 256GB + 850PRO 256GB + 850EVO 500GB || Watercooled FE Geforce 1080ti || Zalman Reserator XT watercooler || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3 || Asus ROG PG279Q  G-sync monitor
  • nroskonrosko Posts: 800
    Trinity
    Couldn't be bothered to sit through all this but this but i assume this is about movies? There is a really noticeable difference using 4k for applications & games unless you are sitting 6ft away from your monitor or have a really small monitor. 

• DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 3,927 Valuable Player
    Wildt said:
    ones ability to perceive high framerates was depending on ones arousal level
    That may explain after living with someone for long enough, you start to perceive them like an old Ray Harryhausen stop-motion monster.
    Gateway 2000, Pentium II 300 Mhz CPU, 64Mb RAM, STB Velocity 128 AGP Graphics Card with 4MB SGRAM, 6.4Gb Hard Drive, US Robotics 56.5kbps Internal Modem, 12/24x CDROM Drive, Ensoniq AudioPCI, Windows 95.
  • MorgrumMorgrum Posts: 1,298 Poster of the Week

Would you F me.
    Id F me!
    WAAAGH!
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 25,862 Oculus Staff
    edited August 10
    Interesting video, and the science and math appeared correct, but his conclusion is wrong. If you play a game in 4K, especially on a large screen, there is an obvious increase in quality. I see the video is about 1 year old, but there is a lot of 4K content. Pretty much any PC game from the last 10 years can be played in UHD, and there are a growing catalog of 4K Blu-Rays. Granted, not all of those discs are great, mainly because they may have been mastered at 2K or had the digital effects done at 2K, but even old movies on film can be remastered and can look good. But look at some 4K demo content (which can be much higher quality than full movies) and it looks absolutely amazing and clearly much better than 1080p. I do understand what he's trying to say, at least in terms of diminishing returns compared to the cost or power needed to drive 4K, but to say you can't see a different is hogwash.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 4,124 Power Poster
    He also misses a critical point about resolution. Yes, a 4K screen may have more pixels than we have cones in our eyes, but what matters is the detail level where we happen to be looking. He starts to talk about the fact that our cones are not uniformly spread out but rather are concentrated in the centre, but he fails to follow through to the conclusion that this makes the detail level of 4K matter--so we can see high detail where we're focusing our attention.
    i7 5820K @ 4.25 GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32 GB | Corsair HX 750W
    Corsair Hydro H100i | Samsung SSDs: 860 Evo 1 TB, 850 Evo 1 TB, 840 Evo 1 TB | Seagate BarraCuda HDD 3 TB
    My Oculus Medium sketchbook thread, and my Oculus Medium Gallery
    Wintermute
    General rule of thumb.

If display is <50 inches then 4K is an absolute WASTE.  If it's >50 inches then it will be great.
    Trinity
    Digikid1 said:
    General rule of thumb.

If display is <50 inches then 4K is an absolute WASTE.  If it's >50 inches then it will be great.
    This is not accurate either. 
    Wintermute
    nrosko said:
    Digikid1 said:
    General rule of thumb.

It is to my eyes.  LOL!!!!!

Plus this is the general rule of thumb for Best Buys and other stores that sell tvs around Ontario.  Is it true?  Hell if I know but I can see what they are getting it from.
    Trinity
    edited August 10
    Digikid1 said:
    nrosko said:
    Digikid1 said:
    General rule of thumb.

It is to my eyes.  LOL!!!!!

Plus this is the general rule of thumb for Best Buys and other stores that sell tvs around Ontario.  Is it true?  Hell if I know but I can see what they are getting it from.
    TVs you are likely to be sitting at a distance. The distance you are from the screen makes a massive difference. you should know this from using VR. 
    If you are gaming or using applications then you are likely sitting much closer. It is very clear difference on my 32inch 4k vs 1080. I think in movies where you sit further away & edges are softer it is harder to tell but with games & apps where you have aliasing harder edges, sharper details & contrasting textures its very different.  

I would say less than 30 with a pc monitor is a bit of a waste although i never try a 27 4k. 
    Wintermute
    Also it depends on the persons eyeballs as well.  There is no debating that at least.  ;)
    I had a 40" 4K TV as a monitor for like a year. I was sitting close, but you could definitely see the resolution quality. It looked very similar to the pixel density on a 27" 1440p, just bigger. I don't know where the cut-off is, and it may be different for different people. IMO 27" 4K is probably a waste but maybe 32" would be noticeable. 40" was.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 4,797 Valuable Player
    edited August 10
    I might just consider a 55" 4K television now. With the new Geforce cards coming out, it will allow me to max things out should I want to play 2D games.. I've stuck with a 1080p monitor because I can max things out with my Geforce 1080 and this was something I waited many years to do with games.. 

I've been tempted to get an LG Oled television, but I find the picture looks crap to my eyes.
    edited August 10
    I recently got a Samsung 55" 4K TV (Q7F) as a monitor and I love it. It's kind of extreme, but ends up being really good for gaming (such as for PS4 or 2D PC gaming) or movie watching. On that rig I have RX Vega 64 Crossfire, but multi-GPU can be a hassle (though it's great when it works). If the rumors on new Nvidia card performance are true, the new Titan could definitely power mostly all current games at 4K with no problem.

Personally, I think 55" is maybe too big, I could see something between 40-50" being more practical for desktop usage. The LG OLEDs look good, but I was worried about burn-in, especially using it as a monitor. The Samsung QLED line honestly looked as good or better than LG to me, even though I know OLED does have some technical advantages. Definitely go to the store and check out Samsung QLED, they are nice.
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 5,109 Power Poster
    I'm due for a telly upgrade. I bought my 1080p 50" telly just before the 2014 World Cup so I've had it just over 4 years.

I might wait another year then get myself a 4K 55" Noname brand supermarket telly. But then I'm also going to want a Yaw VR motion simulator and a CV2 next year too.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • kojackkojack Posts: 4,533 Volunteer Moderator
    Digikid1 said:
    General rule of thumb.

For TVs that aren't being used as monitors the rule is "if a display is < 50 inches then it is an absolute WASTE"
    :D

I've got a 65" LG OLED 4K. Looks amazing, great remote, great features. The only negatives I've had since buying it:
    - built in youtube doesn't have ad block.
    - crunchyroll won't make an app for it's webos.
    I've got a 32" 1440p on my desk, and I wouldn't want to go any bigger--as it is, it practically fills my view. My living room TV is a 55" 1080p, which is a perfect size for watching movies (most people who see it probably think it's too big for the room). I'll eventually replace that one with a similar sized 4K, but I'm not in a particular rush.

Hopefully by the time I make the upgrade, iTunes will have 4K versions of my digital movies available at no extra cost. I've already gone through it with VHS>DVD>Blu Ray, and I'm not about to go and replace my Blu Ray collection with 4K ones.
    i7 5820K @ 4.25 GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32 GB | Corsair HX 750W
    Corsair Hydro H100i | Samsung SSDs: 860 Evo 1 TB, 850 Evo 1 TB, 840 Evo 1 TB | Seagate BarraCuda HDD 3 TB
    iTunes? Meh...you're better off using iTorrents and doing it all for free lol :p :D
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

I don't buy movies through iTunes, but whenever a Blu Ray includes a digital copy, I add it to my account.

They used to lock you into SD or HD at the time of download and only let you download once, but nowadays they've updated the arrangement to a cloud license that lets you download any version as often as you like to your various authorized devices. Hopefully they'll add 4K to the mix eventually, and by then I might be ready to move away from physical copies of movies like I have with games.
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 12,006 Power Poster
    I buy movies through Amazon. I like having my video collection there. My Audio stuff too; especially since it integrates with Alexa so well.
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
    Trinity
    edited August 11
    Pointless getting a 4k then if optimal distance at 55" is just 3.7ft away. Who wants to sit that close to a screen that's 55"? I thought I was sat to close to my screen at 6ft away, but according to that chart this is correct for my 42" 1080 screen. So are you saying I would have to move closer to the screen (3.7ft away to see 4k) and if not my eyes would only see it as 1080? 

Playing a game, I would have to move my body and head to look around a 55" screen, if I was 3.7ft away from the screen. I just use my eyes from 6ft away on my 42" screen..
    Trinity
    I'm sitting 2ft away from my 32 4k pc, my 43 1080 tv ranges from 3ft+ depending where you sit so maybe i should get a 4k but i can think of better things to spend money on.  
    @nrosko - Would there be a reason why you sit 3ft away from a 43" screen? 
    Trinity
    That's just where the closest end of the sofa is, my front room isn't very big. But size - distance seem absolutely fine for me. Rare i watch tv anyway tbh. 
    Yup, I don't watch the telly anymore. I just either download whatever I want or watch a live stream online. No telly aerial so no grief from the TV Licence Nazis lol

Trinity
    Assume you know live streaming needs a TV licence as well as watching anything BBC live or archived? 
    nrosko said:
    Assume you know live streaming needs a TV licence as well as watching anything BBC live or archived? 

Absolutely, but as long as I don't have an aerial and (assuming that someone is daft enough to let them in to the building and they don't catch me watching a live stream) then I'm good.

It's only a matter of time before the TV Licence is abolished anyway, as each year passes less people are stupid enough to buy the things.

I'll be giving my Licence up when it runs out. I don't watch television, I have Netflix and amazon Prime, which is much better then paying £13.00 a month to the BBC.