New to the forums? Click here to read the How To guide. -- Developers click here.

CPU or GPU Upgrade?

Justin_AdamsJustin_Adams Posts: 10
NerveGear
edited August 10 in Oculus Rift + Touch
I know this has been asked 1000 times but I can't play without knowing. I just got my oculus yesterday and i can run the basic games like roller coaster games and ones that dont use the touch controllers but I want to be able to play games like Job Sim, The rick and morty game, Robo Recall, etc.. I want to buy a Gtx 1060 6gb GPU and i want to know if it would be better to upgrade from my gtx 960 2gb ( I know its a terrible card for vr). I also have an AMD fx-4130 quad core 3.80 ghz which came with the prebuilt im using (I have no knowledge about CPUs). Should I buy the GTX 1060 6GB and replace my 960 or Upgrade my CPU. If i should upgrade my cpu please give me a recommendation around $300 since thats how much i would be paying for the 1060. Thanks in advanced

Comments

• cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    Yeah, definitely get the GTX 1060. It will be a pretty big upgrade in terms of VR. That CPU isn't great either, but might be passable. Long term, I would look into getting a Ryzen chip, the 2600 is a pretty nice bang for your buck. But, if you have to choose one, a 1060 upgrade would be the best use of the funds.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • Justin_AdamsJustin_Adams Posts: 10
    NerveGear
    Yeah, definitely get the GTX 1060. It will be a pretty big upgrade in terms of VR. That CPU isn't great either, but might be passable. Long term, I would look into getting a Ryzen chip, the 2600 is a pretty nice bang for your buck. But, if you have to choose one, a 1060 upgrade would be the best use of the funds.
    Thanks for the help it is much appreciated
  • Techy111Techy111 Posts: 5,015 Volunteer Moderator
    edited August 10
    Yes on the 1060 for now and save save save for Ryzen and 16gb of ddr4 ram ;) just had a look at prices in the US and you should be able to get a 1070 for 50 dollars more. Shop around, Amazon have one for 380 ;)

https://www.amazon.com/EVGA-GeForce-GAMING-Support-08G-P4-5173-KR/dp/B01KVZBNY0/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1533946269&sr=8-2&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=gtx+1070&dpPl=1&dpID=5106W58qESL&ref=plSrch
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.
    And FlyInside Forum Admin.
    Flyinside Flight Simulator is coming !!!!! (In Beta)
  • TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 501
    Neo
    I know this has been asked 1000 times but I can't play without knowing. I just got my oculus yesterday and i can run the basic games like roller coaster games and ones that dont use the touch controllers but I want to be able to play games like Job Sim, The rick and morty game, Robo Recall, etc.. I want to buy a Gtx 1060 6gb GPU and i want to know if it would be better to upgrade from my gtx 960 2gb ( I know its a terrible card for vr). I also have an AMD fx-4130 quad core 3.80 ghz which came with the prebuilt im using (I have no knowledge about CPUs). Should I buy the GTX 1060 6GB and replace my 960 or Upgrade my CPU. If i should upgrade my cpu please give me a recommendation around $300 since thats how much i would be paying for the 1060. Thanks in advanced
    So you cannot use the rift controllers???  Maybe your motherboard does not support them?  I don't know but if I were you I would try to find a local Rift guy and have him check out your PC.  You may be better to just save up for a better VR platform.
    Alienware 17r4 Laptop with i7-7700hq 2.8/3.6, 32 gb ram, gtx1060 w/6gb ram, 256gb ssd, 1tb hdd, Oculus Rift w/2x sensors.  Now using an Alienware Graphics Amplifier (AGA) with Zotac gtx1080ti Blower and Asus vg248qe 144hz external monitor.  All works great!

Also have a 64gb Oculus Go which I love for travel and quick VR Fixes.  Looking forward to the Quest!
  • Justin_AdamsJustin_Adams Posts: 10
    NerveGear
    TomCgcmfc said:
    So you cannot use the rift controllers???  Maybe your motherboard does not support them?  I don't know but if I were you I would try to find a local Rift guy and have him check out your PC.  You may be better to just save up for a better VR platform.
    No I can use the controllers it’s just that games that use the controllers tend to be more graphically demanding so I was just using that as an example for what games I can run as of now