New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Nvidia and GamesCom MEGATHREAD.RTX 2080/Ti (FIRST BENCHMARKS COMING OUT) NDA lifted.

Comments

• LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,774 Volunteer Moderator
    Digikid1 said:
    Screw that....Raytracing is a moot point anyways.  I'll stick with my 1070 or upgrade to a 1080Ti later down the road.
    Did you watch the keynote and some of the upcoming games?
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)
  • ElusiveMarlinElusiveMarlin Posts: 293
    Nexus 6
    edited August 2018
    But if I hear correctly, we are getting 10 x 1080Ti performance for this price?

Comparatively, this is a bargain?
    RIFT CV1
    RIFT S
    Leeds, UK.

Intel Core i7 7700K 3.7GHz | RAM 32GB DDR4 2666MHz | GeForce GTX 1080 8GB |

"Behind every mask there is a face, and behind that a story...."
  • Digikid1Digikid1 Posts: 2,212 Valuable Player
    Digikid1 said:
    Screw that....Raytracing is a moot point anyways.  I'll stick with my 1070 or upgrade to a 1080Ti later down the road.
    Not yet.  I am at work on my lunch break.  I will watch it later on when I have the time.  Interesting that In Death will be getting it though.....
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 7,023 Valuable Player
    But if I hear correctly, we are getting 10 x 1080Ti performance for this price?

Comparatively, this is a bargain?

I think that's just in one area..
    edited August 2018
    Digikid1 said:
    Digikid1 said:
    Not yet.  I am at work on my lunch break.  I will watch it later on when I have the time.  Interesting that In Death will be getting it though.....
    Also, having fans up top makes a lot more sense to me, this is not a blower style card anymore (it doesn't blow hot air out of the back, but sucks cooler air from outside and pushes it up), most PC's have front to back and up air flow. Blue is Fans

Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Yes I've thought of that but it gonna heat up the CPU more.
  • SyrellarisSyrellaris Posts: 1,035
    Wintermute
    Digikid1 said:
    just build a custom water cooling setup for the cpu and upgrade to the videocard at a later point.
    Digikid1 said:
    just build a custom water cooling setup for the cpu and upgrade to the videocard at a later point.
    Nah.  Watercooling is a waste IMHO.  Just a simple AIO or a good air cooler will do just fine.
  • nroskonrosko Posts: 954
    Neo
    nrosko said:
    Worse than £1 to the $1 what a fookin joke. I am so utterly cheesed off. I picked a bad generation to skip the launch 1080ti is looking a good purchase now. I have the cash but do not like being ripped off.
    Hopefully once the initial sales spike they will tank and force nvidias hand
    same here it seems the £1050 is a conversion of the original $1199 rather than the US $1000 when you factor in 20% tax & exchange rate. 
    So how come the Americans got a cut? I could possibly stomach £900
    It appears the 1000 is for the stock so hopefully we should see an equivalent at 900-950 still not sure im willing to pay that though. Maybe at +50% the 1080 TI but not for +30% 
  • kojackkojack Posts: 6,422 Volunteer Moderator
    edited August 2018
    The fans are on the bottom.
    The nvidia website has a rotatable view of the card.

Or at least the 2080 is.
    The 2080ti page is broken again so I can't look.

• WildtWildt Posts: 2,266 Valuable Player
    Digikid1 said:
    Digikid1 said:
    Nah.  Watercooling is a waste IMHO.  Just a simple AIO or a good air cooler will do just fine.
    Pfff! Air cooling is for pansies
    PCVR: CV1 || 4 sensors || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3
    PSVR: PS4 Pro || Move Controllers || Aim controller
    WMR: HP Reverb
  • Hiro_Protag0nistHiro_Protag0nist Posts: 4,978 Valuable Player
    An interesting take on the keynote today.  This guy talks about what they didn't say in the keynote and asks (makes some guesses) why?

Neo
    An interesting take on the keynote today.  This guy talks about what they didn't say in the keynote and asks (makes some guesses) why?

yeah totally noticed all the snake oil. was kinds expecting it tbh but still clinging on to the hope there is a decent fps jump. Some calculation have been made saying 10% from 1080ti to 2080ti  :s   
  • Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 4,074 Valuable Player
    Pained me to do so but I ordered the 2080Ti. I hope I can get a fairly decent price for my 1080Ti come September when it ships. Anyone interested can PM me.

System Specs: RTX 2080 ti , i9 9900K CPU, 16 GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.
    edited August 2018
    nrosko said:

yeah totally noticed all the snake oil. was kinds expecting it tbh but still clinging on to the hope there is a decent fps jump. Some calculation have been made saying 10% from 1080ti to 2080ti  :s   

The Unreal Engine demo they showed off (at 4K), he said 1080 was giving around 30-40 fps .. then said the new card gave 70-80 fps (WITH Machine Learning powered anti-aliasing turned on) if it was a 2080, that would be about 40% - 50% right?

Neo
    nrosko said:

The Unreal Engine demo they showed off (at 4K), he said 1080 was giving around 30-40 fps .. then said the new card gave 70-80 fps (WITH Machine Learning powered anti-aliasing turned on) if it was a 2080, that would be about 40% - 50% right?
    Why is quoting so finicky on this website? Anyway yeah i'm not convinced, i would at least hold off on preorders.
    nrosko said:
    nrosko said:

Why is quoting so finicky on this website? Anyway yeah i'm not convinced, i would at least hold off on preorders.
    Yeah im going to wait for reviews too, I know that the raw power of cuda cores in the Ti will be beneficial to my CGI work, but having some raw numbers would be great. Going to be difficult to benchmark this thing, as it's no longer a "classic" FPS game

• dburnedburne Posts: 3,532 Valuable Player
    Well I am gonna hold out a bit for the EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3. Assuming of course even then I can snag one.
    Dang 2080 Ti Ultra's pre-orders sold out in moments today. 
    Is the mining craze still a thing and going to impact availability of these cards?
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
  • DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 5,718 Volunteer Moderator
    dburne said:
    Is the mining craze still a thing and going to impact availability of these cards?

10 years of development to bring real-time ray tracing and deep learning to the masses... so that they can be stacked high in server rooms earning money for the few and price hikes for the retailers.

Ironically that thought has made me want to escape back into the GPU dependent world of VR. tata.

Intel 5820K [email protected], Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1909 (18363.836)
    edited August 2018
    I don't need any of these cards until CV2 is out and even then I'll get by with a Geforce 1080 GTX. Gaming in 2D 4K isn't worth it for me. I can max out all the settings on a Sony 42" 1080p screen and they look great. FPS is also great on my 1080p screen, so what more is needed? Paying £1000 for the shadows and stuff he showed off in games is not worth it to me. They didn't even look all that great and not when it costs £1000 for it..
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    I pre-ordered two of the 2080 Ti. Pretty steep, but I still want them. The ray tracing stuff just looks too cool and I want to check it out myself. Funny to think back like not 10 years ago when a $500-600 GPU was considered extravagant. Times have changed.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
    edited August 2018
    I pre-ordered two of the 2080 Ti. Pretty steep, but I still want them. The ray tracing stuff just looks too cool and I want to check it out myself. Funny to think back like not 10 years ago when a $500-600 GPU was considered extravagant. Times have changed.
    Excellent, the game In Death (the VR bow and arrow title) is going to have an RTX upgrade with raytraced shadows and AO ... the ability to have reflections/refractions, proper shadows and AO and GI without screen space trickery is some fantastic news for VR 

When they say a Geforce 2080Ti, is 50% faster then a Geforce 1080. Does this mean a game running at say 30 FPS would then run at 60 FPS?
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    50% faster would mean 30 -> 45 fps.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
    RedRizla said:
    When they say a Geforce 2080Ti, is 50% faster then a Geforce 1080. Does this mean a game running at say 30 FPS would then run at 60 FPS?
    No. That would mean that its 100% faster. 

• falken76falken76 Posts: 2,901 Valuable Player
    falken76 said:
    What is the power consumption of these new cards?  Are we back in the realm that requires 650 watt Plus power supplies again?  Are the TI models the ones that run on lower power?  I don't want to re-do all the cable management in my machine for a new PSU.

Yes in the PNY leaks it says 650W power supply MINIMUM.

Damn, now I have to double check my power supply, I used to buy big ones like 650 w, but recently people said it was overkill so I can' recall what power supply I got.  I have to open the case to look....  Does the 2070 also need 650 watts?

• falken76falken76 Posts: 2,901 Valuable Player
    Pained me to do so but I ordered the 2080Ti. I hope I can get a fairly decent price for my 1080Ti come September when it ships. Anyone interested can PM me.

I'll give you $200 for that ti, come on what do ya say, it'll almost cover the tax on the new card.

• MowTinMowTin Posts: 1,916 Valuable Player
    So, how much faster than the 1080Ti should we expect the 2080Ti to be?

Some said something absurd like 6x faster. I think that's true. I'm guessing that's with certain operations that games don't currently use. 

Will it be 100% faster than the 1080ti? If 45fps turns into 90fps then I'll pay anything. 
    i7 9700k 2080ti   CV1, Rift-S, Index
  • MowTinMowTin Posts: 1,916 Valuable Player
    dburne said:
    Well I am gonna hold out a bit for the EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3. Assuming of course even then I can snag one.
    Dang 2080 Ti Ultra's pre-orders sold out in moments today. 
    If I preorder will they charge my card right away? It says it won't ship until 10/22/2018
    i7 9700k 2080ti   CV1, Rift-S, Index
  • KenSniperKenSniper Posts: 192
    Art3mis
    I really only want to upgrade for VR, so im more curious as to how much performance boost i'll be getting from my current 970 before i decide on which card to get