New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Nvidia and GamesCom MEGATHREAD.RTX 2080/Ti (FIRST BENCHMARKS COMING OUT) NDA lifted.

1232425262729»

Comments

• bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 4,153 Valuable Player
    So this is an interesting topic and only make my decision harder on what card to purchase. I'm running a rx480 so either option will be a big improvement.  I'm looking at a gtx1080ti or rtx 2080. The price on both cards ATM are almost the same. Any recommendations on one over the other 
    same price? easy go for the 2080 imo.  raw performance is essentially the same but driver improvements will surely mean the 2080 will get better and that is forgetting DLSS and RTX.

in uk however 1080ti is £120 cheaper which makes the call a lot tougher.  i chose the 1080ti (i cancelled my rtx2080ti yesterday)
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 7,023 Valuable Player
    edited October 2018
    Assassins Creed Oddysey, only 8FPS difference between 2080Ti and 1080Ti at 4K ULTRA settings:

https://za.ign.com/assassins-creed-odyssey/125525/video/nvidia-2080-ti-vs-1080-ti-assassins-creed-odyssey-ultra-sett

One costs 50% more than the other :|

Say RTX was in that game and switch on, would the FPS drop below that of a Geforce 1080 Ti? Or do you think the FPS would remain the same with RTX on?

I can't wait to see what difference it makes to the Rift VR..
  • LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,774 Volunteer Moderator
    RedRizla said:
    Assassins Creed Oddysey, only 8FPS difference between 2080Ti and 1080Ti at 4K ULTRA settings:

https://za.ign.com/assassins-creed-odyssey/125525/video/nvidia-2080-ti-vs-1080-ti-assassins-creed-odyssey-ultra-sett

Say RTX was in that game and switch on, would the FPS drop below that of a Geforce 1080 Ti? Or do you think the FPS would remain the same with RTX on?

If you are talking about the DLSS RTX, then from what Nvidia is claiming, a 40% boost. As the game is rendered at lower res then upscaled using AI with no loss in quality. So far maybe a little bit of perceived fuzziness.
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)
    RedRizla said:

If you are talking about the DLSS RTX, then from what Nvidia is claiming, a 40% boost. As the game is rendered at lower res then upscaled using AI with no loss in quality. So far maybe a little bit of perceived fuzziness.

Will this DLSS RTX help in VR and how? When can we expect to see it in VR if it does help?
  • bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 4,153 Valuable Player
    edited October 2018
    RedRizla said:
    Will this DLSS RTX help in VR and how? When can we expect to see it in VR if it does help?
    i hope so and dont see why not but i dont think anyone really knows anything for sure right now.  one of the reasons i bailed on the 2080ti and played it safe with a 1080ti.

well DLSS will help... there is some questionmark whether DLSS and ray tracing can work at the same time. i really hope so as the cards really need dlss to upscale to the resolution folk expect with a £1200 card

but ray tracing uses the tensor cores to denoise the ray tracing.
    will there be enough in the tank for the tensor cores to ALSO do the AI super sampling at the same time? 

I am not sure but i hope so.
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
    edited October 2018
    I'm thinking of getting a Gefore 1080Ti, but just wonder what DLSS is going to add to VR first. I'm not that bothered about RTX tbh. Will DLSS stop the need for pixel density 1.5 to 2.0 that some people use as SS?