New To The Forum? Click Here To Read The How To Guide. -- Developers Click Here.

Nvidia and GamesCom MEGATHREAD.RTX 2080/Ti

LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 5,464 Volunteer Moderator
edited 12:41PM in General
Made this thread so that we can all discuss the Nvidia announcements and anything else juicy being revealed at GamesCom 2018

EDIT 3
Here is how to watch:
  • UK: 5PM BST
  • Central Europe: 6PM CEST
  • East Coast US: 12PM EDT
  • West Coast US: 9AM PDT
  • Japan: 3AM JST Tuesday 21 August
You can watch the event Live here:

EDIT 2
RTX 2080 at the Cologne event is pretty much confirmed in 2 more days!

Nvidia has posted a trailer/teaser that has some interesting clues about the next gen cards.

EDIT 1
Nvidia announces QUATRO workstation cards based on Turing Technology and RTX (Real-Time Raytracing)
Interesting tidbit from Nvidia press release on new Quadros:
  • New RT Cores to enable real-time ray tracing of objects and environments with physically accurate shadows, reflections, refractions and global illumination.
  • Hardware support for USB Type-C™ and VirtualLink™(1), a new open industry standard being developed to meet the power, display and bandwidth demands of next-generation VR headsets through a single USB-C™ connector.
  • New and enhanced technologies to improve the performance of VR applications, including Variable Rate Shading, Multi-View Rendering and VRWorks Audio.
Press release: https://nvidianews.nvidia.com/news/nvidia-unveils-quadro-rtx-worlds-first-ray-tracing-gpu?linkId=100000003236181

Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)

Comments

• snowdogsnowdog Posts: 4,699 Power Poster
    I think we'll see the Santa Cruz being released in Q4 this year and the CV2 next year, possibly on the Rift's third birthday. Certainly the first half of next year.

I probably won't be getting the CV2 anywhere near its launch day, I've got too many other things I want to buy next year and will wait for the first price cut I think.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • pyroth309pyroth309 Posts: 177
    Art3mis
    edited August 12
    Not me, I'm a day 1 purchaser, Got 5k set aside for a new rig and CV2 lol. I most likely will wait for the 1180TI though before upgrading GPU. Hopefully my 1080 can push it enough for the few months wait. 
  • bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 3,194 Valuable Player
    edited August 12
    Remember kids, August 21st to 25th is GamesCom, where Nvidia has teased "amazing surprises", rumour is the new GPU's with gamer-centric features like RTX (Real-time raytracing technology) will be revealed. Possible inclusion of the Virtual Link port dedicated to VR may also be announced.

And a month later in Sept (26th and 27th) is Oculus Connect where we are bound to see a new hardware reveal (possible pre-order?) and game announcements. 

I predict Nvidia has pushed the GPU announcement for GamesCom instead of their own keynote to announce cards because one month later Oculus will announce the CV2 (I am starting to think that Santa Cruz is not coming yet, they will let GO breathe and focus on CV2 this year with SC next year, that is what I am feeling at the moment) 
    I would love this however tbh I doubt it. Oculus have high end pc covered and entry level mobile. I suspect high end mobile is something they will want to cover before replacing their PC HMD. I hope I am wrong!
    In principle I am a day 1 CV2 buyer but it does depend on price and technology. IF it uses VRLink and if the 1180 has that port that will be a point in its favour as I can free up a usb port.... (Though not sure what that will mean for extension cables... I do not want to go back to 3m cable . 5m is the minimum I need
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
  • kojackkojack Posts: 4,366 Volunteer Moderator
    Though not sure what that will mean for extension cables... I do not want to go back to 3m cable . 5m is the minimum I need
    That's a good point. Virtual Link is using USB-C with a USB3.1 channel (and 4 display port lanes). The USB-C standard only supports 2m cables for USB3.1 Gen 1 and 1m cables for Gen 2. Hopefully Virtual Link is changing the standard far more than it sounded like.

• RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 4,367 Valuable Player
    My gut feeling is that Oculus will release Santa Cruz just before Santa arrives on Christmas Day. 
  • Techy111Techy111 Posts: 4,561 Volunteer Moderator
    I bet there is a Claus to that ?
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.
    And FlyInside Forum Admin.
    Flyinside Flight Simulator is coming !!!!! (In Beta)
  • LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 5,464 Volunteer Moderator
    edited August 14
    Nvidia has announced new Quadros at Siggraph, some interesting details:

New name: Quadro RTX.

• New RT Cores to enable real-time ray tracing of objects and environments with physically accurate shadows, reflections, refractions and global illumination.
    • Hardware support for USB Type-C™ and VirtualLink™(1), a new open industry standard being developed to meet the power, display and bandwidth demands of next-generation VR headsets through a single USB-C™ connector.
    • New and enhanced technologies to improve the performance of VR applications, including Variable Rate Shading, Multi-View Rendering and VRWorks Audio.

We will no doubt see those 3 features on the new Geeforce RTX cards. Press Release:

https://nvidianews.nvidia.com/news/nvidia-unveils-quadro-rtx-worlds-first-ray-tracing-gpu?linkId=100000003236181

Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

naming and date of the unveiling of the new geforce all but confirmed as well...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=F7ElMOiAOBI

bear with me but there is a bit of sad geek easter egg hunting however. (ok i admit i am desperate to be following these kinds of posts!!!)

44 seconds on the video...

naming convention

RTX at the start (RoyTex)

and not_11 = gimmie 20    (so not 11 series but 20 series)

then

45 seconds.

Mac-20 is talking to Eight Tee

definitely then the new gpu is called RTX 2080

and the vid ends with cologne 20 August.

Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
  • MorgrumMorgrum Posts: 1,235 Poster of the Week
    ....... my wallet just cried out on terror and was suddenly silenced.
    WAAAGH!
    RTX Real-time rendering (rumoured to be in new Geeforce cards too) will take Movie VFX and Games to a new level of photorealism, all major engines (Unreal/Unity) will have support, including all the latest rendering engines for CGI

AI and machine learning computational magic called DLLA that takes a lower res image and upsamples it to create a super high-quality image.

vannagirl said:
    Looking for rich Husband

"Apply within"

A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.
    So my guess of £799 is gonna be out I reckon!!! ,£999 is my new guess. :(
  • vannagirlvannagirl Posts: 1,825 Valuable Player
    edited August 14
    Techy111 said:
    So my guess of £799 is gonna be out I reckon!!! ,£999 is my new guess. :(
    Yes, everything is more £999 in the UK.

Those cheaper MSRP's peoples throw around. They are just for giggles
    Look, man. I only need to know one thing: where they are. 
    edited August 14
    RTX 2080 at the Cologne event is pretty much confirmed. 6 more days!

In this video, there are clues where everyone has found them on twitter. 

• Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 3,022 Power Poster
    Exciting times indeed.

System Specs: GTX 1080 ti , i7 4790K CPU, 16 GB RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.
    Exciting times indeed.
    Really excited for the RTX tech to come into games, 

in VR screen space based effects like reflections, ambient occlusion and global illumination are impossible, so having dedicated real-time raytracing cores will usher a new level of realism and graphics fidelity in VR with the new series. 

The problem with that is that these bells and whistles will only be available for Nvidia cards. As a developer I'm not going to waste my time having these features in my game if AMD cards can't benefit from them.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

snowdog said:
    The problem with that is that these bells and whistles will only be available for Nvidia cards. As a developer I'm not going to waste my time having these features in my game if AMD cards can't benefit from them.

True for pancake games (AMD is working on their own version, this will be HairWorks all over again) in terms of Oculus Home VR games, this is the latest report on GPU's from Oculus owners:

• cyberealitycybereality Posts: 25,400 Oculus Staff
    I'm excited for new video cards, but I hope that the ray tracing stuff makes it into open cross-vendor standards. Having a game tied to one vendor, and only a small set of newest cards from that vendor, is not tenable. 
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
    edited August 14
    snowdog said:
    Fair point... To be honest if Nvidia support dx12 properly it will be a positive step (10 series doesn't).

Whilst it is not to the same degree as Turing I believe amd have supported hardware ray tracing for some time but was not supported because of the reason you state

It's also why hardware physx was rarely supported despite being v v cool
    Hehe, "world's first ray tracing gpu".
    Sillicon Arts beat them to that slogan by 6 years.
    Plus there were others before that, going back to the Saarland University RPU that was used for all those raytraced quake 3 videos that came out 16 years ago.

Good to see more ray tracing though. I've written numerous ray tracers, and I use a ray tracer I wrote as an optimisation exercise for my students (since it's the easiest system to learn multithreading on, plus they can get into mathematics optimisation, spatial partitioning, gpgpu, network distributed rendering, etc).

6 gigarays is pretty good. That's 7.5 times faster than the Sillicon Arts RayChip.
    Although once you start doing shadows and reflections, those rays get eaten up pretty quickly.

kojack said:
    Hehe, "world's first ray tracing gpu".
    Sillicon Arts beat them to that slogan by 6 years.
    Plus there were others before that, going back to the Saarland University RPU that was used for all those raytraced quake 3 videos that came out 16 years ago.

Good to see more ray tracing though. I've written numerous ray tracers, and I use a ray tracer I wrote as an optimisation exercise for my students (since it's the easiest system to learn multithreading on, plus they can get into mathematics optimisation, spatial partitioning, gpgpu, network distributed rendering, etc).

6 gigarays is pretty good. That's 7.5 times faster than the Sillicon Arts RayChip.
    Although once you start doing shadows and reflections, those rays get eaten up pretty quickly.

They are also utilising "DLAA — deep learning anti-aliasing, which is a breakthrough in high-quality motion image generation — denoising, resolution scaling and video re-timing"

This is not just pure raytracing (low sampling is used to allow more complex scenes), combined with raster + DLAA you can really make some amazing stuff.

Metro Exodus is said to use RTX

New: Unreal Engine Real-Time RTX Demos

All running live on a single Quadro.

edited August 15
    RTX 2080 is also going to be Turing based (like the new Quadros)... based on the clues in the Nvidia promo (AlanaT = Alan Turing)

One of the interesting things with pure ray tracing is that you can generate rays that match the panels and lenses of a vr headset.

Normally apps render at a certain resolution, then the oculus sdk distorts that based on the inverse of the lens distortion and sends it to the panels. So what is rendered isn't the same as what is shown, there isn't a 1:1 texel to pixel relationship across the whole view. To make the centre of the view 1:1, you end up rendering too much for the sides. If you make the sides 1:1, the centre is low res.
    But generating rays based on the lens distortion directly could help a lot with that, because the distortion step is removed. Mixing that with foveated rendering shouldn't be too hard either.

Although that wouldn't work with hybrid rendering with scanline rasterising, since that still has to go through a distortion step.

• RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 294
    Nexus 6
    edited August 16
    RTX 2080 at the Cologne event is pretty much confirmed. 6 more days!

In this video, there are clues where everyone has found them on twitter. 

You're fast :) - I didn't read your posts before now and can see I made similar posts in another thread yesterday, sigh. Well, at least the message gets around B)

I can still remember all the hype for Geforce3 in 2001 (I bought one back then for something like $800 - the Asus Deluxe version <3 ) Back then there were amazing videos showing early Doom3 realtime calculated performance - and we were all amazed. But when Doom3 finally arrived, Geforce 3 wasn't really interesting anymore. 
    In short, I'm not into a lot of tech-talk about new features that may or may not become important for new VR games and apps, I just want to see the raw benchmarks in current games B) 

Show-me-the-numbers!  

PS. Fun thing - you can see the amazing realtime GeForce3-rendered Doom images here - from an article I wrote in 2001, I got the images from VoodooExtreme, those were the days <3

http://www.hardwaretidende.dk/hard/artikel/01/02/22/7595866

Thus I'm getting numb to all the amazing things Nvidia might promise new cards can do. I'll just be very happy if the RTX 2080 is at least 50% faster in 4K gaming than my GTX 1080 - and if Nvidia can deliver 180-200w power consumption. 
    Intel i7 7700K (4.2-4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz boost, 11 Ghz ram); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS (Home/OEM); Oculus Rift CV1 - nearly always using super sampling at 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR" ;-)
    Must...resist...buying one...must...resist... :o :D

• MradrMradr Posts: 2,476 Poster of the Week
    • NVIDIA Titan RTX – $3000 US (50% Faster Than 1080 Ti)
    • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 8GB GDDR6 – $500-$700 US (50% Faster Than 1080)
    • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 7GB GDDR6 – $300-$500 US (40% Faster Than 1070)
    • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 2060 5GB GDDR6 – $200-$300 US (27% Faster Than 1060)
    • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 2050 4GB GDDR5 – $100-$200 US (50% Faster Than 1050 Ti)
    https://wccftech.com/nvidia-geforce-gtx-rtx-20-series-titan-rtx-geforce-rtx-2080-rumors/

I am looking more into the idea of waiting for that 2080 TI if these rumors are true:) Getting something at between 30-50% faster than current 1080TIs would be massive :D
  • Digikid1Digikid1 Posts: 947
    3Jane
    That second video was.....interesting.  LOL!!!!!!!!!