When Will HTC Go Bust? - Page 2 — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

When Will HTC Go Bust?

2»

Comments

• MorgrumMorgrum Posts: 1,607 Valuable Player
    edited August 2018
    Some time during next year
    Yea but seriously name a viveport title that you want to play which isnt on the OH.
    WAAAGH!
  • kojackkojack Posts: 5,363 Volunteer Moderator

HTC says developers can choose to list their games as Oculus compatible today, and titles that have been tweaked to work with the OpenVR standard should be ready to go.

But... isn't that every title? Vive only uses OpenVR,  shouldn't every title on Viveport be tweaked to work with the OpenVR standard? :)

What they should have said was tweaked to understand that people with controllers that aren't wands with touch pads would like decent controls.

• KlodsBrikKlodsBrik Posts: 1,188
    Wintermute
    They won't go bust because they'll be bought out
    Isn´t it their supcription service they hope will attract oculus users ?
    $8.95 a month for some 5 swappable titles.

It´s not for me, but I can see why a lot of VR users would make use of it.
    Be good, die great !
  • kevinw729kevinw729 Posts: 4,564 Valuable Player
    At least the Oculus owners will get to play the fill Read Player One Viveport titles now!
    P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 6,924 Valuable Player
    Before the end of this year
    They've probably opened it up to Rift owners because (going by various posts on the Vive sub-Reddit since it started) a great deal of Vive owners don't bother with it because it's unstable and a bit crap in terms of content.

I'll stick with the Oculus Store and Steam I think.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • LuluViBritanniaLuluViBritannia Posts: 462
    Trinity
    They won't go bust and will release the Vive 2 without a problem
    Sadly, I think the Vive is here to stay. VR has become a cash-grab for HTC : as long as there are people to buy the Vive, HTC will stay on its feet.
    Current VR results imo:
    - Great small apps. Great ports of bigger games.
    - Great VR-specific features. Not enough showcased!!!
    - Too many actors in the industry, the market is totally broken.

My hopes for VR next gen:

- Better ratio between visual quality and power needs. No more godrays and less SDE.
    - Full Body Tracking.

"If you don't mind, do you want me to take you there? Where dreams come true."
  • PabbertPabbert Posts: 223
    Nexus 6
    kevinw729 said:
    At least the Oculus owners will get to play the fill Read Player One Viveport titles now!
    You could already get this via SteamVR
    Nexus 6
    Sadly, I think the Vive is here to stay. VR has become a cash-grab for HTC : as long as there are people to buy the Vive, HTC will stay on its feet.

Why is it a sad thing? People keeping jobs is a good thing is it not?
    I think the whole "them" and "us" attitude to VR manufacturers needs to now evaporate towards a "we" mentality. The communities business now is to get VR to survive and grow in the consumer space - the more the merrier. And lets not start enjoying schadenfreude at the thought of the closure of another company.
    P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
    Pabbert said:

The VR Arcade titles developed in partnership with HTC were only available on Viveport Arcade!

https://www.vive.com/uk/ready-player-one-vr-arcade/
    P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
  • SharpfishSharpfish Posts: 1,300
    Trinity
    edited August 2018
    Competition is only good if the competition is actually good.

Nobody wants a race to the bottom for VR, it's too soon.

Oculus hold themselves up to a higher bar, so far, regardless of what anyone else is doing. They've been that way since before facebook and right up till now. They take VR very seriously. They are not in it for cash grabs.

Palmer may have departed but "oculus" was aways striving to bring proper VR, with quality and standards, to the masses in the correct way, not always the cheapest way, not the fastest way (like many janky competitors).

As said, competition is good and will be good/needed once we've reached the bare minimum anti-jank level in VR (where any old dodgy chinese company can't fail to make something great because tech is at that level). Until then, whether HTC go under or not is irrelevant to anyone interested in great VR. I for one will never buy another HTC branded/Designed VR system. I never want to use wands/touchpads again. The only slight redeeming feature about the whole 'competitor' is Valve, but they've basically done sweet FA for years and certainly didn't bring anything new to HTC with the Vive Janky Pro. And where did LG go?

Valve and Steam VR has a future, that I want to stick around. But hardware wise it's all about oculus/FB right now and for the near future because nothing I've seen from anyone else comes close to the quality of all the important factors combined (not just resolution, not just tracking quality etc).

In fact it may be a good thing for VR for HTC to go belly up and leave it to companies who can design a HMD worth a damn. Valve basically invented all the cool stuff for them anyway, and HTC made a shit-show out of the tech.

And btw, Oculus already are the "Nvidia of VR" in that they make the best highest quality stuff with the best performance all round, and don't just release janky shit for the sake of it. 

I'll be lining up for a RTX2080ti to go with my current 8700k (4.8ghz on all cores no issues no throttling) (or I'll even upgrade to the 9900k no sweat - I have tons of money to spend on VR and want quality not jank) if I want great VR and great all round gaming.

If others choose AMD because they like the perception of 'more for your money' that's their look out. Don't come crying when you're left in the dust (again) in VR, 4k, and general gaming instead of going Intel/Nvidia like you should have (and sucked up the extra $200-$300 for a good reason. Quality, performance, stability... just like Oculus with the rift.

EX DK2, EX VIVE, EX PSVR, Currently RIFT CV1 | VR developer
    Poster of the week who never got a T-Shirt ;( dayum they looked tasty!
    Nexus 6
    kevinw729 said:
    Pabbert said:

The VR Arcade titles developed in partnership with HTC were only available on Viveport Arcade!

https://www.vive.com/uk/ready-player-one-vr-arcade/
    ah I stand corrected, I`ll have a play with hose as well then. Thanks
  • LuluViBritanniaLuluViBritannia Posts: 462
    Trinity
    @Pabbert
    Why is it a sad thing? People keeping jobs is a good thing is it not?
    I'll quote @Sharpish, who replied right after you :

Competition is only good if the competition is actually good.

HTC brought nothing to VR except the high price. I won't get into detail, because this is not the subject (and we might get scolded xD), but whether that be in hardware or software, the Vive is way below the Rift quality for a way bigger price.
    You still want some detail? Just take a look at the controllers. I rest my case :) .
    Anyway, that may feel harsh, but I do wish HTC goes bankrupt. I love VR, so I don't like seeing it used as an easy cash-grab.

As for the little moral : finding another job is not the end of the world. Especially in the world of engineering. In fact, I seem to remember Google already bought a lot of HTC's engineers. And Google is not the only corporation interested in VR expertise.
    Current VR results imo:
    - Great small apps. Great ports of bigger games.
    - Great VR-specific features. Not enough showcased!!!
    - Too many actors in the industry, the market is totally broken.

My hopes for VR next gen:

- Better ratio between visual quality and power needs. No more godrays and less SDE.
    - Full Body Tracking.

"If you don't mind, do you want me to take you there? Where dreams come true."
  • Techy111Techy111 Posts: 6,263 Volunteer Moderator
    The future is bright, the future is VR
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

I feel that this information paints the clearest picture of what many of us have faced regarding HTC's position as a corporation:

https://www.telecompaper.com/news/htc-revenues-fall-74-in-q3--1263966?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+TelecompaperMobileWireless+(Telecompaper+Mobile+&+Wireless)

Many wondered where a lot of the Google money was going to go, and it seems clear that the majority will be ploughed into trying to keep what is a seriously holed vessel floating.

Rumours abound with what is happening within the corporation - and a fragmented response to the sale of Focus adds to a situation were we are left scratching our heads. I only hope that the company can pull itself out of what seems a serious nose dive.
    P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
  • bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 3,914 Valuable Player
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
    bigmike20vt said:
    wow that is depressing reading :(

Yeah, not helped by the flaky activities of certain chief executives at the company. We are bracing ourselves for some major developments come the end of next month!
    P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
  • LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,763 Volunteer Moderator
    It is sad, not only a few years ago HTC was rocking it! .. everyone wanted an HTC .. brand recognition was high, even here in the UK, ads everywhere ... now I hardly see or hear anything. What happened?!! They were making a lot of money!
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)
  • LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,763 Volunteer Moderator
    edited October 2018
    Also If I were HTC I would sell off the VR division to another big boy player that has a huge R&D budget, Google/Apple ... maybe Microsoft? Maybe even INTEL? or ... gasp ... VALVE?
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)
  • KlodsBrikKlodsBrik Posts: 1,188
    Wintermute
      That would be so bad news for the whole of the VR scene if they did crack. LZ you are spot on, they should sell their vr division for sure. 

@zenbane that tpcast joke.... wtf ... ROFL.
    Be good, die great !
  • DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 4,958 Volunteer Moderator

If HTC get to the point of going under, Valve will purchase the VR intellectual property and continue manufacturing hardware either themselves (or whoever they use to manufacture their Steam kit) or employ another manufacturer.

I agree with this bloke
    Intel 5820K OC@4Ghz, Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1903 (18362.239)
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 6,924 Valuable Player
    Before the end of this year
    I don't. Valve don't like spending money, they only enjoy collecting and hoarding it. That's why the wankers didn't bother with releasing Half Life 2 VR more than two years ago. The stress of spending a few billion dollars buying the VR division of HTC would probably give GabeN a heart attack lol :o :D :D :D
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 4,958 Volunteer Moderator

ah but that's why I think Valve will buy up HTC's VR stuff if they go bust. They don't want some upstart little company like erm Facebook taking too strong a hold over the VR marketplace which is likely if Oculus' only serious hardware competition goes bust.

Cos ya know horrible monopolistic market places are what Valve are definitely against.

Intel 5820K OC@4Ghz, Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1903 (18362.239)
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 14,287 Valuable Player
    Some time during next year

KlodsBrik said:
    @zenbane that tpcast joke.... wtf ... ROFL.

This Vive user can only scratch certain parts of his head during the healing process,

https://uploadvr.com/htc-investigating-vive-wireless-adapter/

HTC ‘Investigating’ Vive Wireless Adapter Heating Report

Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane