New to the forums? Click here to read the How To guide. -- Developers click here.

Firmware update required / No HDMI

VRBATTLESTATIONVRBATTLESTATION Posts: 1
NerveGear
Hello all,

So last week I tried updating my firmware through the Oculus app, the firmware update failed then kinda got stuck in a loop until it finally completed.

I now get a 'Firmware update required / No HDMI connection' error. The firmware update completes successfully but I'm stuck with this message.

I've tried a new PC (with a fresh install) also tried a different connection/HDMI cable, tried different USB ports etc.

Has anyone encountered this before? Has the firmware fried my Rift?

Thanks

Comments

• jvrbussjvrbuss Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    I currently am experience a similar problem. It says it needs to update to firmware 709/b1ae4f61ae but comes up as error and asks me to reinsert the cables but has no effect. On clicking retry without removing the cables it tells me it's updated the firmware successfully but doesn't acknowledge my visor is connected and I'm back to square one. Tried removing the whole of the Oculus app and reinstalling by to no avail. Oculus are being helpful but I think even they're clueless as to the problem.
  • kenneth.mccoy.9kenneth.mccoy.9 Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    I just fired up my Oculus for the first time in a month, I'm seeing this exact issue. Looks like it's more of a widespread issue, have any of you made progress? I just made an Oculus support ticked, no response yet.
  • LirulinLirulin Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Anyone find a fix for this? Opened a ticket last night with the same issue. 
  • AWESOMEx20AWESOMEx20 Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    edited September 9
    Same here! Please let me know what you find out :)

• VeritasSapereVeritasSapere Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    edited September 10
    I am having the same problem, even plugged the headset into another system that I know that works by swapping the headsets, stil get the same error message for that headset.

I also opened a ticket, has anyone found a solution yet?
  • doberdusdoberdus Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    i am having the exact sme issue!

i just purchased my rift today and it is very frustrating that out of the box i am already having issues. i cant even run the setup process as it wont even let me install the firmware version and says my headset is not connected
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    edited September 12
    Sometimes switching USB ports can help (USB 2.0 is also supported). If not, please open a ticket. Thanks. https://support.oculus.com/
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • StarkbloomStarkbloom Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    Exactly the same problem has happened to me yesterday and I have raised a support ticket. My headset has been bricked after this firmware update. All cables, sensors, USB and HDMI ports are fine. PC is fine. Oculus headset is not and through no fault of the customer . Very unhappy.
  • tonyhktonyhk Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Same here... Out of the box, discovered the headset and all sensors (i.e. ruling out an install/incompatibility issue). Got told that it needed a firmware upgrade, upgraded all 3 sensors fine and now rendered the headset in bootloader, connected but no HDMI connection, firmware upgrade required in red. Anybody figured out a workaround to force a firmware upgrade when in bootloader? 
    If the firmware update doesn't work, you can try again. It may work on a second time. You can also run the Oculus Setup installer again and choose Repair before trying the update again. If that still doesn't work, please contact us for help. Thanks. https://support.oculus.com/
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • Sanadsk5Sanadsk5 Posts: 6
    NerveGear
    I have the same exact problem, and the only thing the support is offering are replacements, and in some cases, they aren't agreeing to send them.
    They must release some sort of patch that resolves this issue, since it is clear the problem was caused by the new update.
    We're still investigating the issue, so please contact us if you need help. Thanks. https://support.oculus.com/
  • Doom33Doom33 Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    edited September 26
    I am also having this issue as well, I've tried the repair, also installing patch via the website, unplugged all cables on the headset. same issues as everyone else. It's been months since I've fired up my headset, and now I can't play on the expensive equipment? (also like to add that I've tried everything on this page, and the same thing. also sent a support ticket in) and another thing, if anyone else is having the problem leave a comment, and also upload log files, and most importantly send it to support. Thank you, I'd rather have a patch fix this then a new headset come in. also, when I first plug it in the light flicks white for a second then it flicks orange like Boomotang said in the comment below. 
  • BoomotangBoomotang Posts: 5
    NerveGear
    I'm also having this problem. The oculus light is blinking orange. It says a firmware update is required, but there is no option anywhere to update the firmware. Updated Nvidia drivers, swapped in a brand new Oculus Rift cable, tried every different USB, HDMI, and DVI port. Still nothing. All 4 sensors show up fine, but no headset. It worked fine a couple weeks ago.
  • Doom33Doom33 Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    edited September 27
    A patch (that kept poping up because I needed to do an oculus repair) or something was released today and forced a firmware update which caused a weird bug where it showed up two headsets one was needing a firmware update while the other one didn't, but I used repair, and now everything works as of September 27. 
  • Ronnos1983Ronnos1983 Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    edited September 28
    i got it to work again by removing oculus with ccleaner then unplugged everything restarted the pc then plugged it in installed oculus and it worked again
    NerveGear
    I tried uninstalling with CCleaner and reinstalling, and the problem is still the same. If there was only a way to force the update to reinstall again. Anyone from the Oculus Staff have anything about this bug?
    Can you try temporarily disabling anti-virus? If you have BullGuard, it should be uninstalled.
    NerveGear
    Can you try temporarily disabling anti-virus? If you have BullGuard, it should be uninstalled.
    No I don't have BullGuard but I have uninstalled all antivirus programs from my computer and it's still the same problem.
    If you've tried all the other things in this thread, it may be a good idea to submit a support ticket (in the event we need to replace the hardware). Thanks. https://support.oculus.com/
    NerveGear
    If you've tried all the other things in this thread, it may be a good idea to submit a support ticket (in the event we need to replace the hardware). Thanks. https://support.oculus.com/
    My warranty is over sadly. Are you working on a fix for it, or is it hopeless to think there will be a patch that will fix this?
    Please contact us anyhow. There may be something we can do. Thanks.
    NerveGear
    Please contact us anyhow. There may be something we can do. Thanks.
    I did contact you, but you said that you can't deliver a replacement because I'm in an unsupported country.
    Nonetheless, the problem exists for many other people too, so it would make sense to at least address the issue and re-release/fix the update for us, instead of just offering replacements.
  • italoschiochetitaloschiochet Posts: 11
    NerveGear
    Hi I bought oculus rift a week ago, and after instal firmware my headseat hdmi dont recognize. Im frustrade. Im from Brazil. What i do now? I paid a lot for these and dont work. I have a great computer, everything is ok, sensor, touchs, but says that i need update firmware but dont have any button to update? What i do. I try everything with my computer and instal in another, and had the same problem. Please anyone help me.
    NerveGear

anyone have sucess for these problem?
    NerveGear

anyone have sucess for these problem?
    That's the same problem everybody is having. Currently, there is no fix for it :(
    NerveGear
    the support will show us any posicion?
  • ArturoAzzurroArturoAzzurro Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    I fixed this issue by reinstalling my nvidia drivers.
    The following happened: I got a message to update the firmware of my rift and a message to update my nividia drivers. Then my rift was working till he next windows restart > no hdmi connection. Maybe this helps.
  • ArturoAzzurroArturoAzzurro Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    Bad news. After playing one VR game I got the same issue again "no hdmi connection". Damn firmwareupdate.
  • vladislav23811vladislav23811 Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Same here, 
    I bought it yeasterday and no luck at all.
    It was showing firmware update but here is no button/option tu update :D 
    No way to install firmware outside the app.
    I am sad.

Same problem like you all with new device.
    No HDMI connection.
    Also one time it was showing in the windows as second screen I seen it ..
    Try it in extended mode.
    Unfornatuly no video output.
    Headset black. IDK what to do :neutral: