Beat Saber - Community Rankings! - Page 7 — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Beat Saber - Community Rankings!

Comments

• ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 14,272 Valuable Player
    Hmm, it was there last time I played a few days ago. I'll lead it up shortly and test it out.
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • WildtWildt Posts: 1,937 Valuable Player
    edited September 2018
    Right.. I've had it.. here I am sweating like a pig trying all sorts of batteries, putting in alu foil, double sided tape and what not and during hard swings the sabers just goes floating off for a second. This POS hardware wasn't build for (high level) Beat Saber - PERIOD.
    Asus Z370-A ||  Watercooled 8700K || 16 GB gSkill DDR4 3200 || Samsung SSD 840PRO 256GB+850PRO 256GB+850EVO 500GB+970EVO 1TB || Watercooled FE Geforce 1080ti || Zalman Reserator XT watercooler || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3 || Asus ROG PG279Q  G-sync monitor
    The Top 5 scorers are using Rifts with Touch just fine bro. You just gotta practice more!

(runs and hides from Wildt's competitive fury)

btw, I started off holding the Touch Controllers the normal way, but after this thread started I began using this new approach:

It takes a little bit of retraining, but I'm getting much better and accurate using this grip technique than when I was holding it the regular way.
    @zenbane - I realize that, and it's just sad that hard physical swings are handicapped vs. pansy ass wrist flicks holding the controller like that.

I refuse to go down that path - I'm out. Oh and btw, I still managed this by holding back my swings..
    Asus Z370-A ||  Watercooled 8700K || 16 GB gSkill DDR4 3200 || Samsung SSD 840PRO 256GB+850PRO 256GB+850EVO 500GB+970EVO 1TB || Watercooled FE Geforce 1080ti || Zalman Reserator XT watercooler || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3 || Asus ROG PG279Q  G-sync monitor
    I haven't had the battery thing slide open on me (yet) in this game. It happened to me once in another game though, I forgot which.

However, many players are using PVC pipes (and other material) to make not just Touch Controllers, but also Vive Wands, more efficient at Beat Saber. This Software is trying to simulate a small and lengthy lightsaber handle, which neither Touch nor the bulky Wands can really truly emulate effectively for various reasons.

My main problem is that I can't keep my Thumb where it should be, so I'm constantly hitting menu buttons. But even at that, I still prefer to have my hands more "loosely free" when swinging instead of just tightly gripping the entire time.

After you step away for a bit, you should consider modding your Touch controllers, similar to what people have done for Onward and other games.

Also consider this "rubberband" approach that someone came up with to mimic the Knuckles:

• pyroth309pyroth309 Posts: 1,568 Valuable Player
    Lol no, I don't sit while playing but when I'm going for scores I am pretty stationary. It was a figure of speech.

The problem we're having isn't the battery cover moving. (or at least for me) it's the battery inside literally moving against the spring because of the G-forces being applied which causes the positive terminal to lose connection for a second which makes the controller have to resync and you get a floaty effect. I've tried modifying my grip several times and using more wrist to reduce G-forces and it works but it just makes things awkward and also just makes my forearms start burning a lot faster lol.

And I don't doubt it's possible to get high scores with the Rift and Touch but for me,having to overcome all the tech issues requires more dedication and patience than I have is all.

Also Zen, a trick I learned to stop my thumbs hitting menu button as I had same issue is that when I play beat saber, I squeeze the trigger and grip button almost the entire time to stop my thumb's urges to grip at the top. There's no detriment to squeezing those buttons other than probably draining battery a little faster.

That does work for me for awhile pyro (squeezing the controller while swinging), but the problem is that after 30-45 minutes my grip starts to loosen; both from fatigue and sweat.

The "cup style" hold that I depicted earlier is now my preferred way. I am becoming very accurate and I can execute swings without having to grip anything too tightly. This lets me play for 1-2 hours without my hands cramping up lol
    pyroth309 said:
     I've tried modifying my grip several times and using more wrist to reduce G-forces and it works but it just makes things awkward and also just makes my forearms start burning a lot faster lol.

And I don't doubt it's possible to get high scores with the Rift and Touch but for me,having to overcome all the tech issues requires more dedication and patience than I have is all.
    TOTALLY how I feel.
    edited September 2018
    Zenbane said:
    That does work for me for awhile pyro (squeezing the controller while swinging), but the problem is that after 30-45 minutes my grip starts to loosen; both from fatigue and sweat.

The "cup style" hold that I depicted earlier is now my preferred way. I am becoming very accurate and I can execute swings without having to grip anything too tightly. This lets me play for 1-2 hours without my hands cramping up lol
    Ahh, I actually have never had any hand grip fatigue but my hands are strong and have a lot of years of extreme use from all the hours of watching por....err I mean from working with them. It's my other arm muscles that give me problems no matter the grip lol.
    I just want to re-iterate that while it may seem like I'm bashing Touch, I'm really not. I just hope it gets addressed for next generation and they can implement a better way to keep the battery from moving around. Touch works great for every other game I've played and they work really great when I'm just playing beat saber normally and not trying for top 1% scores. 
  • Digikid1Digikid1 Posts: 1,984 Valuable Player
    I’ve never had any issues with battery movement ever. Neither have any of my customers that have bought Oculus. 
    pyroth309 said:
    I just want to re-iterate that while it may seem like I'm bashing Touch
    Just to re-iterate, I AM! :angry:

Last resort I might try is those light lithium based AA-batteries, even though it means not having a reliable battery level readout. Heh, it's not very good as it is anywho.

Btw, @zenbane did you test out whether you could double press OH key to get BS to show the pause screen?
    Digikid1 said:
    I’ve never had any issues with battery movement ever. Neither have any of my customers that have bought Oculus. 
    Neither did I until I started going for top 100 scores in beat saber. There's a lot of posts on reddit and others places of others that have the same issue. A lot of people also confuse it for a sensor/poor tracking problem. 

Not tested yet, the day got away from me yesterday. But today we're rained in! It's a VR day all day.
  • iJudgementiJudgement Posts: 181
    Art3mis
    edited September 2018
    I was able to play Beatsaber briefly from the Oculus store myself, my menu was (for restart and stuff) on my left controller. I had to long press that menu button, but it showed up.

Oculus button just brought up Dash.

Edit: grammar
    That Dash button is the reason I had to adjust my hand positioning. I would accidentally click it whenever my Thumb decided to go rogue.
  • iJudgementiJudgement Posts: 181
    Art3mis
    Zenbane said:
    That Dash button is the reason I had to adjust my hand positioning. I would accidentally click it whenever my Thumb decided to go rogue.
    They got a feature in the experimental menu to enable long press for Oculus button, which would stop the dash from popping up accidentally.
    I did see that setting last week when I was building my OH Vehicle! I should have set it then lol
    edited September 2018
    Played for a bit tonight, mostly practicing my 110 swing skills.

I decided that I'm going to stick with the Cupholder strategy.

To test things out, I chose a song that I haven't played in weeks and am not very familiar with: Balearic Pumping.

My first try in Normal Mode yielded a high 110 swing rate, I ranked 48 instantly:

After 2 tries on Hard Mode I got a decent score, top 100 and not even SS ranked yet:

Then after 2 tries on Expert Mode, I jumped from the 3000's to the 1500's:

I'm still a long way off from Legendary scores on Expert mode, but my goal right now is to continue mastering the new grip and swing techniques. I'm gonna getcha!

Good luck @zenbane :smile:
    Does double pressing OH key pause the game for you? 
    I forgot to try the double-press lol

But I did try the "long press" and it seems cool, but I don't need it anymore due to my new hand positioning. I don't want to revert back to gripping the controllers the standard way; I'm too comfortable now with the Cupholder technique.

I plan to try more tomorrow, specifically an Expert mode to compete with you and pyro. I'll test out the double press!
    edited September 2018
    Well, I was getting fat without my BS sessions while waiting for those lightweight 1,5v AA li-ion batteries to show up, so I risked my health by once again submitting my blood pressure to the infuriating experience that is Touch controllers + hard swings + BS, and quickly learned that alu foil was needed. Much better... but still, the right controller often went of on a side mission entirely unrelated to the main mission. I got the idea to just go full weak ass girly swing, and look what it brought me. Weak pansy swings knocked the mighty @pyroth309 out of top100 :lol:

..but it wasn't any effing fun! :cry: This is how I wanna play BS:

Lol nice. Yea I haven't even had the urge to play for score at all since I threw in the towel. I have more fun just playing new songs and doing cardio lol.
    edited September 2018
    Also, this was me playing a godsmack song a couple of weeks ago during a workout. I hardly ever record but it shows that I'm not using cheats at least lol. Was almost a perfect run but at the end of course I ghosted through a block lol.

Right, these were the last two - @Zenbane quickly lock the thread now! :lol:

Well, since the thread still isn't locked, I'll give you an encore. I put on my cyan spandex suit and attempted a full combo on Angel Voices.

I failed - missed 3 blocks :cry:

I plan to compete again more heavily soon. Especially as we get closer to the Holidays. I need to work off all the Stuffing, Pie, and Sugar Cookies somehow!
  • Digikid1Digikid1 Posts: 1,984 Valuable Player
    Zenbane cannot lock threads. Only moderators can. 
    Do you have 4 sensors Wildt? My tracking seems to be getting worse lately and I notice my right seems to be worse than left which is the side that only has 1 sensor looking at it. Contemplating getting a 4th as it's affecting my casual play now.