New To The Forum? Click Here To Read The How To Guide. -- Developers Click Here.

When Will Oculus Release The CV2?

snowdogsnowdog Posts: 5,204 Power Poster
Just as the title says. I've noticed recently that there are LOADS of people on the Oculus sub-Reddit that refuse to believe that Oculus will release it next year.

So I thought I'd start a poll here to see what you lot think.
"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever

When Will Oculus Release The CV2? 70 votes

44%
AndersNolbergerRedRizlabigmike20vtkernowMradrDaftnDirectRolzLuluViBritanniasnowdogTechy111edmgSkScotcheggjeff.cressLZoltowskinroskoZenbaneJamesparker_1IlovethisMAC_MAN86PhoenixSpyder 31 votes
38%
DeadlyJoeRiftFlyervanfanelDollSyndromeDarkNucleardc2889Caliboskilobulbjim1174TwoHedWlftldoneyKillCardaodhaganNeokinFenixiofalken76stargate88wanoennogsMachendilldburne 27 votes
17%
DerekSpeareRorschachPhoenixSyrellarisdavejohnblackdanyboninNightShadowPTI_CANT_HEAR_YOUSilverwolf8Marc-GB0ttlecapSpeed_strikestuc1 12 votes

Comments

• KlodsBrikKlodsBrik Posts: 770
    3Jane
    edited August 15
    Soon I believe.
     Pimax 8K
    StarVR ONE
    VRgineers XTAL

Im pretty sure it´s sooner than later. VR ain´t dead at all!
     Pretty exciting year with the next generation of Nvidia cards arriving with a dedicated VR slot as well.
    Be good, die great !
  • LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,350 Volunteer Moderator
    There should be 2018 too ... OC5 announcement, available for pre-order, shipping before Christmas.

SC Summer/Fall 2019 once the devs have had enough time to actually make any games for it.
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)
    With 20 series Nvidia Cards with VirtualLink just a few days out, it is the perfect time to announce and release the CV2
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

• Digikid1Digikid1 Posts: 1,322
    Project 2501
    Within the next 50 years.

Gotta admit...it's true.  :D
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 5,204 Power Poster
    There should be 2018 too ... OC5 announcement, available for pre-order, shipping before Christmas.

SC Summer/Fall 2019 once the devs have had enough time to actually make any games for it.

My bad, I didn't include 2018 because I thought that was too early. I reckon we'll see it being released on the Rift's third birthday.

Can you edit that option in because you're a mod? Us non-mods can't do bugger all with polls once we post them.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

• Techy111Techy111 Posts: 4,912 Volunteer Moderator
    I'll jump on the 19 bandwagon. Gives me time to save a buy all the latest bits and bobs ready for it......so I need a new mobo Ram cpu gpu case and new liquid cooling. Cheap at half the price  :|
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.
    And FlyInside Forum Admin.
    Flyinside Flight Simulator is coming !!!!! (In Beta)
    I can't believe that there are some people on Reddit that think they'll wait until 2021. Pure madness lol

• dburnedburne Posts: 1,594
    Project 2501
    I am still thinking 2020.
    Hope I am wrong.
    Don

EVGA X-79 Dark MB | I7 [email protected] GHz | EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |16GB Corsair Platinum 2133MHz | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals |
    snowdog said:

My bad, I didn't include 2018 because I thought that was too early. I reckon we'll see it being released on the Rift's third birthday.

Can you edit that option in because you're a mod? Us non-mods can't do bugger all with polls once we post them.
    Unfortunately, my powers also are limited and cannot edit the poll, altho I can graffiti your post with male appendages.

• cleanupdisccleanupdisc Posts: 210
    Nexus 6
    2019. When its about to come out im upgrading my i7 4790k, z97, amd rx 480 to a brand new build :). I still prefer amd to nvidia so i hope they have new gpus as well. Otherwise ill buy the amd vega 64 :)
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 4,923 Valuable Player
    Everyone needs to vote 2019 and it will make Oculus think they have to release the CV2 by then..
    Project 2501
    edited August 15
    I will be updating my rig later in the year, likely an i7 9700k system.
    So hopefully I will be set for whenever it does come out. Maybe by then I will have one of the new graphic cards with the VR connector.

Well I say updating, it will be a complete new system build from the ground up.
    Don

EVGA X-79 Dark MB | I7 [email protected] GHz | EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |16GB Corsair Platinum 2133MHz | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals |
    Get your votes in while you can, @cybereality Will probably lock this one too. :angry:

• cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,101 Oculus Staff
    I'm okay with this thread.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • RolzRolz Posts: 176
    Art3mis
    certainly hope they pull their finger out soon... or the competition will pass them by and we'll be the blackberry of the VR world :neutral:
    CPU: i7 7700K @ 5GHz | GPU: Asus ROG Strix GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB| MOBO: Asus ROG Maximus IX Code | RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200MHz | HDD: Samsung 960 EVO 500 M.2, Micron 512GB SSD, RAID5 WD RED 1.8TB| PSU: Corsair HX850 | OS: Win 10 x86_64| MONITOR: Oculus Rift CV1 | Audio: Onboard Realtek | Gear: Fanatec CSW v2 | Rim Clubsport BMW GT2, Clubsport Formula | Fanatec Shifter SQ v1.5 | DSD 2015 Pedals | Sim-Lab GT1 | Vision Racer Bucket Seat

Project 2501
    edited August 15
    Rolz said:
    certainly hope they pull their finger out soon... or the competition will pass them by and we'll be the blackberry of the VR world :neutral:
    The thing is they just don't have that much in the way of competition now. Sure in the seated games, like racing and flight sims, WMR devices are catching hold, especially the Odyssey. But for the overall VR experience the Rift with Touch  really can not be beat still.  Most of my gaming is in flight sims but I enjoy other Touch Supported VR games from time to time, so am still hanging my hat on Oculus hoping something will come from them sooner rather than later.
    Don

• DollSyndromeDollSyndrome Posts: 24
    Brain Burst
    2020 - it'll be a portable HMD with 5G support 

• vanfanelvanfanel Posts: 178
    Art3mis
    Love the optimism on this board :)  However what we know about OC5 is telling me that a Santa Cruz release is much more imminent. 8 of the revealed talks so far at OC5 apply to santa cruz and literally one of them mentions porting to santa cruz. OC5 is shaping up like OC4 was for Oculus Go which was a final reveal followed by a release a few months later. I expect for CV2 prototype to show up at F8 again in 2019 followed by a reveal at OC6 and a release in spring 2020.
  • kojackkojack Posts: 4,590 Volunteer Moderator
    Looking back on their previous releases:
    DK1: released 7 months after announced
    DK2: released 6 months after crystal cove prototype shown
    Go: released 7 months after announced
    CV1: released 1.5 years after crescent bay prototype shown
    Touch: released 1.5 years after announcement

So at a very rough guess maybe 1.5 years from the first showing of the half dome, which would make it a release date of november 2019.

Not that that's any proof. Correlation is not causation. But their release timings do seem to fit into two categories. Maybe CV2 will follow the DK1, DK2, Go model and release in november/december this year (6/7 months from half dome reveal).

• bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 3,441 Valuable Player
    edited August 16
    I am going 2019..... but i dont think it will be early 2019, (although i really hope it is) I think it may be late Q3 / early Q4 2019 to get in for the xmas/thanks giving sales period.

Yes this will mean Oculus will be competing against technically superior HMDs for some time.... but unless they come down in price a lot (vive pro) or launch a lot cheaper than expected then I do not think oculus will really consider them competition......  Also hopefully a year+ from now the tech which we are all hoping will be in the CV2 will be that much cheaper to allow a far more consumer friendly price.... (not to mention turing gpus will be mature by then and hopefully the launch price gauging will be over so the hardware to run CV2 will also be that much cheaper.

edit... actually to be fair i forgot about the samsung odyssey.... that is most certainly a direct competitor for the rift and has a superior screen..... but that said its tracking is inferior for many tasks, it is still more expensive than CV1 and more importantly you cant buy the damn things in Europe without importing...

but all that said, it is a direct "high resolution HMD" rival to the rift imo  where as your vivepro / star vr / pimax "8k" are not going to be imo.

Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
  • DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 3,969 Valuable Player

I think 2019 for 2 reasons...

Oculus have no doubt been developing CV2 since the release of CV1 and we're seeing the results with things like the lens technology of the Go, I think the amount of development in that alone shouldn't be underestimated. Other developments probably comes down to timing as much as anything else... how soon can a significantly higher FOV and pixel count be incorporated and still have a reasonable proportion PC hardware run it adequately, even with fov. rendering etc. 2019 for me will see the convergence of the availability of adequately powerful GPUs with the visual quality improvement sufficient enough to warrant an HMD upgrade for current and new users. 

Second reason is really Oculus need to release in 2019, later risks losing public and developer interest in PC VR which would harm Oculus' in the medium and possibly long term, imho.

Gateway 2000, Pentium II 300 Mhz CPU, 64Mb RAM, STB Velocity 128 AGP Graphics Card with 4MB SGRAM, 6.4Gb Hard Drive, US Robotics 56.5kbps Internal Modem, 12/24x CDROM Drive, Ensoniq AudioPCI, Windows 95.
  • CalibosCalibos Posts: 88
    Hiro Protagonist
    2020 for me. 

Halfdomes 140deg FOV is one of Abrashs' OC3 2016 5 year predictions. 140deg FOV really needs another one of Abrashs' predictions, ie. 4000 x 4000 pixels per eye to be viable in a consumer headset or one risks effective resolution being the same or not enough of an improvement as Rifts 1080 x 1200 per eye @ 100deg FOV. 4000 x 4000 pixels per eye or even half of that really needs Eyetracking with Foveated Rendering so as not to increase the min spec or require an nVidia renderfarm to run. Oculus wants to expand the userbase not limit it to RTX2080TI owners. Consumer ready eyetracking with Foveated rendering is an extrememly hard nut to crack. Luckey at OC4 said its further away than people think. Conversely, Abrash said that he was overly pessimistic about his 5 year predictions from 2016 and that Facebooks massive R&D funding has meant they are further along than he thought they'd be at this point. 

I dont think they are 2 years further along than he predicted in 2016 though. A 2020 release of a 2021 5 year prediction from 2016 specced CV2 sounds the most likely. Remember, for a 2020 release they'll need to lock down the spec about now or very soon.

Its my opinion that if we hear about a 2019 CV2 at OC5 but without mention of specs, it'll mean a CV2 without Eyetracking and Foveated Rendering which in turn will severely limit possible specs for CV2 and I'll be very disappointed and will only buy at launch if it lauches at current CV1 prices whereas for a 5 year prediction specced CV2 I'd pay a grand to be an early adopter again.
  • MradrMradr Posts: 2,683 Valuable Player
    edited August 16
    Calibos said:
    2020 for me. 

Oculus wants to expand the userbase not limit it to RTX2080TI owners. Consumer ready eyetracking with Foveated rendering is an extrememly hard nut to crack.

Its my opinion that if we hear about a 2019 CV2 at OC5 but without mention of specs, it'll mean a CV2 without Eyetracking and Foveated Rendering which in turn will severely limit possible specs for CV2 and I'll be very disappointed and will only buy at launch if it lauches at current CV1 prices whereas for a 5 year prediction specced CV2 I'd pay a grand to be an early adopter again.
    Yes and no, we talk about it on other threads, but the idea that CV2 user base being the limiting factor to keep price low is a bit silly. You are overlooking the fact there will be still a CV1, SC, and GO. All at a lower price point that will make sense for those people getting into VR. Plus, you have to look at the scale factor as well - Cards that can support current VR are already out there. Limiting CV2 to cards in the 900s, for example, would be silly as new cards are coming out too. Granted - you can't jump the gun too hard - but to aim for at least a 2060-2070 hardware wouldn't be a bad thing either. This would leave enough overlap to support all current hardware + allow room for higher/new end hardware to breath a little.

With a smaller FOV - Eye tracking/FOV render would actually wouldn't have to work as hard and would see gains that would allow even weaker hardware to support the newer headset even with a increase in RES that will have to be spread out over the FOV. Headsets aiming for 200+ are already seeing why jumping that far up has problems with keeping frame rates up and dealing with the spread of the pixels or PPD (pixels per degree). Eye tracking will help them - but not as near as much as keeping to a slightly more 160-180 would've got them. Pixels have weight - but are still way cheaper than drawing new objects that are going to of course going add more CPU and GPU needs to the overall workload.

If Oculus doesn't go for 4k by 4k - then of course - there wouldn't really need to be a need for eye tracking - instead they would go for 2k by 2k and spread those pixels over their increase FOV that would look about/little better than current headsets. I could see them doing that - but if they was going to do that - they would've be able to do that much sooner than now... That is why a number of us think their main goal here is to 1) get eye tracking/fov rendering working so to allow 2) higher res into the 4k range per eye. This means an actual jump from CV1 to CV2. Limiting it to a FOV of 140 means we wouldn't need 1080 or 2080 level of hardware even at 4k/4k per eye (less things need to be drawn) and FOV/render will keep it into that less than 20-30% of the view in full detail (witch will have a sharper image due to the fact the PPD would be much much higher - double - that of the rift). 

Granted - There is still a price limit - something HTC cross with their Pro version of their headset - No matter what - you can't cross that 800-1000-$ mark for customer goods. Sure you might have some sells - but the over all user base drops sharply as you increase the price. Unless it has a real need - people just won't see the point in spending that much money on it. Fortunately 4k screens are coming down in cost - hard - and I think it's something that Oculus can do now if they get that eye tracking working to help power the demand on that many pixels meaning/allowing today's and next gen cards enough breathing room to support such a massive increase in PPD.
  • ShocksOculusShocksOculus Posts: 130
    Art3mis
    I'm hoping 2019-2020. 
    I'm waiting to upgrade my PC until it's officially announced. I have a GTX 1080Ti now, but I'm willing to go RTX 2080Ti or RTX 3080 if needed.
    i7-7700k, GTX 1080Ti (11G) || MSI B150m (1 USB controller) + Inateck 4-port USB to PCIe (2nd USB controller)
    Oculus RIFT - 3 sensor Room-scale
    Oculus GO

• ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 12,110 Power Poster
    My hope is 2019, but something in my gut is like, "2020"
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
    Oculus have already nailed foveated rendering. They showed it at their F8 keynote in May, albeit with just a still image.

• kilobulbkilobulb Posts: 119
    Art3mis
    I was hoping for 2019 but I think 2020 is more likely. There's no way CV2 won't have eye tracking and wireless would help a lot for consumers that don't want to be tethered to their pc. There's no great pressure to release anything next year better to release a stronger/more affordable product in 2020 and hopefully attract more people to VR. 

Is there anything coming that would put pressure on Oculus sales in 2019? 
    There's bound to be HMDs that are 1.5K to 2K resolution next year.

Oculus need to release the CV2 next year because once a current CV1 owner gets tempted and buys a competing headset they'll start to see a drop in revenue from the Oculus Store, and that's one of their two revenue streams for them (The other being the oodles of money they're making from the sales of third sensors).

• kevinw729kevinw729 Posts: 3,994 Valuable Player
    edited August 16
    There will be 1.5k and 2k res headsets but I just wonder how many of them will be focused towards consumer?

Maybe it better for OVR to focus on better than Pro with better lens and eye-tracking than go all out to compete with VRgineers, StarVR and Pimax? 

Edited - also forgot to include the new Samsung Odyssey++ which is both Enterprise and consumer!
    P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
  • MradrMradr Posts: 2,683 Valuable Player
    kilobulb said:
     wireless would help a lot for consumers that don't want to be tethered to their pc. 
    Wireless will never be a thing - i'm really sorry to tell you - scale wise it'll increase way too fast for wireless to ever keep up. You are better off putting mobile/PC parts into it and scaling it "wireless" than getting real wireless to work. Witch is something I hope they do in the future later on for SC and the high end VR headsets.