New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Cannot reset view in Oculus classic Home (but it works in apps)

RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 1,454
Project 2501
edited August 2018 in Support
Recently I've gotten an annoying problem - I cannot reset my view in Oculus Home.

When I start an app I can reset the view in the app, but every time I'm using Oculus Home I get an error code and something like "Oculus is working hard trying to fix this" - but I'm not convinced that's true - I'd love to be wrong  ;)

So how do I reset my view in Oculus Home? Thanks!
Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz boost, 11 Ghz ram); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Oculus Rift CV1 - nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"

Comments

• RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 1,454
    Project 2501
    edited August 2018
    PS. I get the error code OVR56986288 and referenced device not found: headset 1971005.

It has been working perfectly before, I didn't notice this problem until after the latest update including the firmware update.

I just submitted a ticket. 
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz boost, 11 Ghz ram); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Oculus Rift CV1 - nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

• cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    Can you take a screen shot of the error? I haven't heard of that before.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • YoLolo69YoLolo69 Posts: 1,098
    Wintermute
    I had the exact same thing ' err number and weird message) today when using classic home, and it's fixed when using Core 2 Beta.

“Dreams feel real while we are in them, it's only when we wake up that we realize something was strange.” - Dom Cobb

"Be careful, if you are killed in real life you die in VR too." - TD_4242

I7 3770K OC 4.6GHz, GTX1080 OC 10%, 16GB DDR3 2448  OC, Oculus Rift CV1

• jackTorrentsjackTorrents Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    I'm having the same issue. I re-ran the installer and chose the repair option, and did the full setup. Once I did that, the error stopped appearing but the view still did not reset. I used Guardian Boundary Editor to clean up my boundaries, and the very next time I tried to recenter view I got the original error again. It makes me wonder if Guardian Boundary Editor is related to the issue. Do any of you use it? I may try to repair and full setup again and avoid GBE, but since the reset view works for apps, just not for Home, I may just live with it.
    Project 2501
    Can you take a screen shot of the error? I haven't heard of that before.
    I don't think I've ever taken a screenshot of Oculus classic Home before - since it's not shown on my monitor, is there a special way to do this?

Project 2501
    edited August 2018

Just got this reply from the support team - I will not have time to try it before later this evening:

"Hi Rune,

Thank you for reaching out to Oculus Support.

Let's try a few troubleshooting steps to see if we can identify the cause of the issue.

Please do the following:

• Reseat your Rift's cable.
      • A guide on how to remove the cable and Fit can be found by clicking here.
      • Try plugging the Rift into a different USB 3.0 port if possible.
    • Restart the Oculus app.
      • You can find this option on the Oculus app in Settings > Beta > Restart Oculus.
    • Restart your computer.
    • See if you are now able to reset the view in Oculus Home.

If the issue is still occurring, please gather the Oculus Diagnostic logs. Click here for a public article on how to do so. Attach the logs to your next support response.

Please let me know if the issue was solved and if have any additional questions."

Project 2501
    CGH001 said:

I think it's exactly the same issue.

Now I'm wondering - maybe many have not tried it yet - can someone confirm that after installing the new firmware and 1.29 it's still possible to reset/change view in the classic Oculus Home? (try to change the view for example 90 degrees) - thanks! 

• LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,625 Volunteer Moderator
    edited August 2018
    RuneSR2 said:
    CGH001 said:

Now I'm wondering - maybe many have not tried it yet - can someone confirm that after installing the new firmware and 1.29 it's still possible to reset/change view in the classic Oculus Home? (try to change the view for example 90 degrees) - thanks! 

You can take a screenshot using the OculusMirror.exe in Oculus\Support\oculus-diagnostics
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)
    Project 2501
    edited August 2018
    RuneSR2 said:
    CGH001 said:

You can take a screenshot using the OculusMirror.exe in Oculus\Support\oculus-diagnostics

Thanks LZoltowski - OculusMirror is a great app. The error I get looks like this - as I've written before:

According to that message Oculus has been working on getting it fixed for at least 3 days - not much has happened yet though  ;)

Project 2501
    edited August 2018
    I think I fixed it - for now - ran a full setup - had to go through First Contact again, but I love that app  <3 At least now classic Home is correctly centered. And do call me Mr. Chicken, but I'm not trying to reset my view right now just to test if different angles work too - if it works don't fix-it/change-it/try-new-angles  o:)

Love how the support wanted me to pull and reseat some headset cables (yes, I'm being ironic) - that could have made matters much worse; what if I accidentally broke something when opening the headset  :#

Why didn't support just ask me to do a full setup of Touch, playroom and headset? That would have honored the principle of Occam's razor  ;) 

[
    William of Ockham

Occam's razor (also Ockham's razor or Ocham's razorLatinlex parsimoniae "law of parsimony") is the problem-solving principle that the simplest solution tends to be the right one. 

• LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,625 Volunteer Moderator
    Support goes through an escalating tree of standard responses, it's typical of any IT helpdesk. (if this then that)

Could be an actual bug and there will be a hotfix. Might take longer than 3 days ...
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)
    Can you all upload your LogGatherer zip file here? See this thread for how to get the file.
    https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/33792/how-to-get-logs-for-bug-reports-for-consumer-rift-1-3/p1
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
    Project 2501
    Of course, I also included the OculusSetup.log, although it's probably not relevant (and too old from March 2018). Just let me know if you need anything else. 

edited August 2018
    Thanks. I'll speak with the team. However, you may wish to enable Core 2.0 as the error seems to be specific to classic Home. 
  • kojackkojack Posts: 4,876 Volunteer Moderator
    RuneSR2 said:

Love how the support wanted me to pull and reseat some headset cables (yes, I'm being ironic) - that could have made matters much worse; what if I accidentally broke something when opening the headset  :#
    It's fairly safe to reseat the cable, no opening of the headset required, but you can remove the face mask (it's made for that, you can buy new ones) to make it easier. The cable can potentially get pulled loose during normal use.

Project 2501
    Thanks. I'll speak with the team. However, you may wish to enable Core 2.0 as the error seems to be specific to classic Home. 
    Thanks, I'm a great fan of classic Home, I've tried the Core 2.0 Home and greatly disliked it. Classic Home has easy access to everything, it works perfectly in 90 fps using supersampling 2.0 (Core 2 does not!) and has none of the many annoying elements of the Core 2 Home. But now I'm repeating some of my thoughts already posted in the Rift 1.29 patch thread. 

Project 2501
    kojack said:
    RuneSR2 said:

It's fairly safe to reseat the cable, no opening of the headset required, but you can remove the face mask (it's made for that, you can buy new ones) to make it easier. The cable can potentially get pulled loose during normal use.

I'm aware it's fairly easy to reseat the cable, but I'm not sure all Rift owners think that way. My point was to start with the more easy approach of making sure the software is correctly set up before asking users to reseat cables or perform more advanced diagnostics - but of course they're doing their best to help and I was very impressed to get a reply from Oculus support in just a few hours.

• MradrMradr Posts: 2,857 Valuable Player
    Resetting cables shouldn't be consider "advance" - im sorry but that screams "I just don't wanna do anything - you fix it and I will use it once it works" xD
    Project 2501
    edited August 2018
    Mradr said:
    Resetting cables shouldn't be consider "advance" - im sorry but that screams "I just don't wanna do anything - you fix it and I will use it once it works" xD

No, it screams "I'm nearly 100% sure that the problem I'm experiencing has nothing to do with my cables". 

My pc is easily accessible, cables were one of the first things I checked. Then I checked that all my devices were properly detected by the Oculus software (they were), in fact I could easily recenter my view in all the apps and games I tested by pressing the left Touch's O button and use the Oculus menu option to recenter/reset view in the app/game (the same menu option that just didn't work for classic Home), so in general I had no problems recentering my view - only in classic Home did it not work. And other Rift users are experiencing the exact same problem (see here: https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/68458/updated-rift-now-i-get-error-everytime-i-try-to-recente-position#latest - error codes are 100% match). When I felt confident that it had to be some kind of software/hardware error I submitted a ticket. If I didn't want to spend time helping to fix this issue I certainly wouldn't spend time writing all these posts ;-) 

My theory about this issue - I noticed some days ago that my Guardian System was misaligned, and I had to set it up again. I do remember that my play space seemed to have been oddly rotated some degrees (it wasn't correctly aligned compared to the position of my sensors), but it didn't seem to matter much - sensors were working and I just continued to set up the Guardian System. Now I'm thinking that the view in classic Home was centered according to my play space (which had been slightly rotated by unknown reasons). After the full setup yesterday, my play space is shown correctly (compared to where my 3 sensors are located), everything is - again - perfectly aligned. I have now restarted my rig several times, classic Home remains perfectly centered. Note that I did not notice this error before 1.29 and the new firmware.