New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Surprised not more noise about Fallout 4 VR now having native Rift support

DreadlordnafDreadlordnaf Posts: 11
NerveGear
I just bought it even though Steam store still says it is Vive only, their latest beta patch includes full native Rift support and I can vouch that it is quite good.  Once you enable the beta patch the Rift controls are totally optimized.  So far it's the first modern triple-A big budget long-form RPG game for the Rift in my view.  Yes I know there is Skyrim but it is a bit older now.  If you are looking for somewhere to blow your money and like Fallout games I would recommend it.  Main downside right now is no DLC for VR version though some modders are working on fixing that.  Also the game is REALLY demanding on your PC.  You need a GTX 1070 min to play it.   Otherwise really great.

Comments

• LuciferousLuciferous Posts: 1,557
    Wintermute
    edited August 2018
    I think the initial screw you Oculus Owners lost it's shine for many. I think it is incredible. I have been modding it lately to make it look even more amazing. Even out of the box it looks excellent. The world is a little drab and barren, damn those apocalypses to hell. So I have added a few mods to bring it to life like the grass mods and some HD textures for water etc. 

• MowTinMowTin Posts: 1,175
    Wintermute
    edited August 2018
    Is the patch still in beta?

After getting all hyped from watching Ready Player One I wanted to shoot some bad guys in VR. Fallout 4 VR is one of the few games that offers that. 

It runs fine on my rig but I have a 1080ti. I would say it barely performs well on my rig. It's Skyrim VR that performs flawlessly.

I really wish Bethesda had added VR holsters for weapons and full body rendering. I also wish the would support the DLC. 

I think Bethesda has failed to fully support these games. Why doesn't Bethesda at least create a script extender for FO4 VR?  
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 5,368 Valuable Player
    I think the initial screw you Oculus Owners lost it's shine for many. I think it is incredible. I have been modding it lately to make it look even more amazing. Even out of the box it looks excellent. The world is a little drab and barren, damn those apocalypses to hell. So I have added a few mods to bring it to life like the grass mods and some HD textures for water etc. 

Link to the mods you use please..
    edited August 2018
    What patch is this you are talking about? There was a patch some time ago, so I'm not sure what you mean by latest patch? I opted into beta, but why does it ask for a code below when you opt in? My Fallout 4 VR says it's Fallout 4 (beta) in Steam, so I  presume I have the Beta? I not aware of a recent patch though? What date was the patch you talking about release?
  • DreadlordnafDreadlordnaf Posts: 11
    NerveGear
    I don't know when it was but you don't need to enter any code, just ignore that thing.  All I did was select the VR update 1.2 beta patch, see attached pic.

The game has a lot of VR adjustable settings and I recommend maybe choosing one of the alternative pip boy settings but otherwise it works great on Oculus was just playing it some today.  I find even the melee quite fun in it.

That's the one I have, so I'm up to date already. Cheers!
    Wintermute
    MowTin said:

After getting all hyped from watching Ready Player One I wanted to shoot some bad guys in VR. Fallout 4 VR is one of the few games that offers that. 

It runs fine on my rig but I have a 1080ti. I would say it barely performs well on my rig. It's Skyrim VR that performs flawlessly.

I really wish Bethesda had added VR holsters for weapons and full body rendering. I also wish the would support the DLC. 

I think Bethesda has failed to fully support these games. Why doesn't Bethesda at least create a script extender for FO4 VR?  
    I have a 780TI and works just fine?

I'll put the mods I am using on when I am on my PC next.

• pete.hhpete.hh Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    MowTin said:

I have a 780TI and works just fine?

I'll put the mods I am using on when I am on my PC next.

Have you not been on your PC for 4 months or have you just forgotten? 
    Wintermute
    edited January 8

Neither, everytime I get some time to play VR, I am naturally drawn to Skyrim. Not taking anything away from Fallout but the Skyrim world is so much more alive. I will eventually get bored no doubt but with Skyrim that will be  along time coming.

Here are the mods  I Installed.

*truestormsfo4.esm
    *hdreworkedprojectrevised.esp
    *immersivevendors.esp
    *deadly raiders of the commonwealth.esp
    *conquest.esp
    *3dnpc_fo4.esp
    *plenty 'o' exploration.esp
    *mso_sms.esp
    *plane home.esp
    *joe.esp
    *uif faction mod.esp
    *lovingcait.esp
    *deadly ghouls of the commonwealth.esp
    *3dscopes.esp
    *campsite.esp
    *SimSettlements.esm
    *Grasslands - Healthy.esp
    *Vivid Weathers - Natural Bright.esp
    *Vivid Waters.esp
    *win1897.esp
    *The Eyes Of Beauty.esp
    *CBBE.esp
    *BetterSettlers.esp

One of the best improvements was adding the Grasslands mod. This makes Fallout a much friendlier less bleak landscape to walk through. 

Really is a great game in VR just Skyrim stole it's thunder a little. At the time I installed these mods were pretty sparse, may have changed a lot since then. I keep trying to allocate some time to look again but get distracted.  I want to check out if they have a VR Body mod like in Skyrim, that really adds greatly to the experience.
  • Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 3,257 Valuable Player
    Tags. Can these be easily added via Vortex?

System Specs: RTX 2080 ti , i9 9900K CPU, 16 GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.
  • Jake_DragonJake_Dragon Posts: 98
    Hiro Protagonist
    I was ready to buy this but then choked on the $60 price. While I love the game and would like to see it in VR they already got money for the flat game and all of the DLC from me. I just cant pull the trigger with a company that wont do something for a good customer. I don't even want to start adding up how much I have bought from them.
    So for now I will stick with Skyrim and keep an eye on this.
  • DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 4,311 Valuable Player
    edited January 8

The problem with Skyrim for me is it leans towards a fantasy world rather than an alternative future world so I don't feel so much a part of it. I can imagine being in a post apocalyptic world more easily so it has me more immersed.

I think I prefer Star Trek rather than Star Wars for the same reason. My brother's the opposite... maybe he's got a more flexible imagination!

Anyway, @Jake_Dragon I felt the same way about buying FO4 VR at full price as I'd already paid for the pancake version and all the DLC, so grabbed it in the first sale... it's been reduced a number of time including Christmas.

The way I see it is, whether FO4, Skyrim or any premium game, it's worth is all down to how many hours you spend playing it. So even if I'd paid full whack, it would still be the best value VR purchase I've made by a long way.

Intel 5820K [email protected]z, Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1809 (17763.348)
    Wintermute
    edited January 10
    I amShadowmask72 said:
    Tags. Can these be easily added via Vortex?

Well not sure I am a bit of lazy when it comes to modding. I just downloaded it from nexus manually, copied to folder and added them to my plugin file. For Skyrim I do at least use the Loot app to organise them.

I found a great mod for seasons last night. This adds trees etc and seasonal weather like snow. Summer compliments the grasslands mod and seems to work well together. I'll probably try the other seasons tonight (snow looks interesting), I think it does not change automatically and you can only have one season activated at a time. 

I might buy the DLCs, I hear Nukaworld is pretty good.

The problem with Skyrim for me is it leans towards a fantasy world rather than an alternative future world so I don't feel so much a part of it. I can imagine being in a post apocalyptic world more easily so it has me more immersed.

I think I prefer Star Trek rather than Star Wars for the same reason. My brother's the opposite... maybe he's got a more flexible imagination!

Anyway, @Jake_Dragon I felt the same way about buying FO4 VR at full price as I'd already paid for the pancake version and all the DLC, so grabbed it in the first sale... it's been reduced a number of time including Christmas.

The way I see it is, whether FO4, Skyrim or any premium game, it's worth is all down to how many hours you spend playing it. So even if I'd paid full whack, it would still be the best value VR purchase I've made by a long way.

I also prefer Cyber punk, dystopian futures but Skyrim does hold my attention mainly because of the modding community it has.

Plus Skyrim is set on earth 1 million years from now. The magic and the races are a result of thousands of years of genetic experiments and the dwemer the forgotten technologies laying in ruin. In time the continents have changed and the past buried.

So it is based on a post apocalyptic future world @daftndirect rather than fantasy. How do I know this? I was coming around a beach north east of Winterhold and there, in the sand was a half sunken statue of Liberty.

I got off my horse and shouted 'You bastards what have you done' ;) does that help you play it now :)

• SkScotcheggSkScotchegg Posts: 780
    3Jane
    You know what game I just thought would be amazing in VR. Metro, the new Metro game coming out. I reckon that would be awesome!! :)
  • Jake_DragonJake_Dragon Posts: 98
    Hiro Protagonist

Exactly if I played more FO4 I would probably buy it. But I am under 100 hours in FO4 and have over 1700 hours in Skyrim total pancake and VR
    Plus my girlfriend said I play too many games now :smile:
  • DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 4,311 Valuable Player
    Plus my girlfriend said I play too many games now :smile:
    My ex said the same thing but I think she meant something else!
    Intel 5820K [email protected], Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1809 (17763.348)
  • edmgedmg Posts: 1,104
    Wintermute
    Fallout is still pretty clunky. Took me days to figure out how to use the Pipboy properly, and I'll probably have forgotten by the next time I play it.

It is fun aside from that, but I still prefer Skyrim.
  • DreadlordnafDreadlordnaf Posts: 11
    NerveGear
    edmg said:
    Fallout is still pretty clunky. Took me days to figure out how to use the Pipboy properly, and I'll probably have forgotten by the next time I play it.

It is fun aside from that, but I still prefer Skyrim.
    It's actually pretty optimized, but you have a point with the Pipboy.  First thing I did was go into settings and change the way you activate it by just pressing a button versus virtual rotating your wrist, etc.  Makes the game WAY better give how often you have to access it.  Swimming seems the most funky but you dont do that much so it's not too bad. 
  • BrixmisBrixmis Posts: 2,234 Valuable Player
    edited January 10
    Thanks for the mod list, @Luciferous - I was looking for one for VR. Just done the 2k/4k textures up to now.

*I'm using MO2 btw