Will we ever get headset tracking cancellation for motion platforms — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Will we ever get headset tracking cancellation for motion platforms

RiftFlyerRiftFlyer Posts: 112
Art3mis
edited August 2018 in General
I’ve been a rift user since DK1 but the longer this goes on the more compelled I feel to jump ship. 

I only use VR for flight simulation and have put off building a motion platform for years in the hope Oculus would provide us with a solution for motion cancellation. It can’t be done by a third party app as the data is not exposed to developers using the oculus sdk. It also doesn’t work well with rift when using the openVR solution (using a controller as a zero reference). Mounting the camera to the platform also doesn’t work with the latest oculus firmware/software. Even when it did it wasn’t a good solution due to the low refresh rate of the camera (60hz). 

The solution is a relatively simple software update from Oculus. 

Does anyone know if there is a prospect of a solution for VR racing/flying enthusiasts? Do I need to switch to Vive pro?

Comments

• RolzRolz Posts: 197
    Art3mis
    What issues are you experiencing? I see quite a few motion systems with a rift and a sensor on the rig moving
    I'm planning on going motion eventually for my simracing so keen to follow this thread :)
    CPU: i7 7700K @ 5GHz | GPU: Asus ROG Strix GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB| MOBO: Asus ROG Maximus IX Code | RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200MHz | HDD: Samsung 960 EVO 500 M.2, Micron 512GB SSD, RAID5 WD RED 1.8TB| PSU: Corsair HX850 | OS: Win 10 x86_64| MONITOR: Oculus Rift CV1 | Audio: Onboard Realtek | Gear: Fanatec CSW v2 | Rim Clubsport BMW GT2, Clubsport Formula | Fanatec Shifter SQ v1.5 | DSD 2015 Pedals | Sim-Lab GT1 | Vision Racer Bucket Seat

• RiftFlyerRiftFlyer Posts: 112
    Art3mis
    edited August 2018
    Rolz said:
    What issues are you experiencing? I see quite a few motion systems with a rift and a sensor on the rig moving
    I'm planning on going motion eventually for my simracing so keen to follow this thread :)
    They are using openVR and not Oculus to run their software. OpenVR is transparent enough to allow capture and manipulation of the sensor data. This is not possible when using the oculus sdk (which is what I am using with x-plane). 

Also the most recent Oculus firmware does not allow for the camera to be placed on the platform. It causes severe tracking issues. 
  • DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 4,629 Valuable Player
    edited August 2018

I asked this question in the Feel Free Motion Simulator thread. I assume they're doing it with a software/driver layer incorporated within their seat control software.

They show the seat being used with static sensors rather than mounted on a rig that moves with the chair so I assume they've got a solution in place but I didn't get a reply so I'm just assuming they've cracked it.

Not sure this will ever be a thing that Oculus produce but rather it would be done by the motion controller provider, given that it would probably have to be tailored for each seat manufacturer (the cancellation has to be calculated based on the movement of the seat).

Intel 5820K OC@4Ghz, Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1809 (17763.348)
    Art3mis

I asked this question in the Feel Free Motion Simulator thread. I assume they're doing it with a software/driver layer incorporated within their seat control software.

They show the seat being used with static sensors rather than mounted on a rig that moves with the chair so I assume they've got a solution in place but I didn't get a reply so I'm just assuming they've cracked it.

Not sure this will ever be a thing that Oculus produce but rather it would be done by the motion controller provider, given that it would probably have to be tailored for each seat manufacturer (the cancellation has to be calculated based on the movement of the seat).

Feelthree was using a controller mounted on the platform as a zero reference and performed the calculation at the driver level using openVR. It won’t work with the oculus sdk as the driver layer tracking data is not exposed to developers. This makes it impossible for developers to implement without Oculus either becoming more transparent (unlikely) or them implementing it themselves as a feature 

Unfortunately I can’t use openVR with x-plane and the rift as ASW performance is terrible. 

I asked Oculus support if it was on the road map and got fobbed off with a scripted PR answer about watching the dev blog for Oculus updates. 

I guess for this kind of special case the only option is to go with a more open platform such as vive :-(
    edited August 2018
    Mmm I guess that's one way for Feel Three to do it, although I would have thought their software/driver would already know what position the seat is in at any given instance without a sensor having to be attached. And given that Oculus don't do sensors, it would have to be one of the Touch controllers, well I guess it's unlikely that you'll need hand tracking in sims. Must be a technical reason, maybe seat position isn't always accurate to where the software says it should be or their software just doesn't sample fast enough to avoid latency.

Edit. If, as you say the Oculus Sdk driver layer isn't exposed to developers, the question remains, what are Feel Three doing with the Oculus version of their seat/software?
    Intel 5820K OC@4Ghz, Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1809 (17763.348)
  • CalibosCalibos Posts: 92
    Hiro Protagonist
    It'll be interesting to see if OpenXR changes things wrt Oculus and Motion Platform support.
    Art3mis
    Calibos said:
    It'll be interesting to see if OpenXR changes things wrt Oculus and Motion Platform support.
    Is this different from openVR?
    Art3mis

Edit. If, as you say the Oculus Sdk driver layer isn't exposed to developers, the question remains, what are Feel Three doing with the Oculus version of their seat/software?
    Does feelthree even work with native oculus? I haven’t been able to find anywhere where it says it does. 
    RiftFlyer said:

Does feelthree even work with native oculus? I haven’t been able to find anywhere where it says it does. 

They posted an announcement thread here: https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/67817/feel-three-motion-simulator-update-launch-incoming

So I assume as they posted within this very forum that they have a working Oculus version. Well I asked in that thread how they negated chair movement but as I say I didn't get a reply so who knows!

Art3mis
    Well the only picture there that isn’t a render shows a vive headset with a vive puck mounted on the platform for motion cancellation. I’m sure they will clarify when they have a product to sell. 
  • CalibosCalibos Posts: 92
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited August 2018
    RiftFlyer said:
    Calibos said:
    They might not have gone to the effort of fixing it in the OVR SDK if OVR was going to be deprecated to legacy support in the next few months once they move to OpenXR.
    Art3mis
    Calibos said:
    RiftFlyer said:
    Calibos said:
    They might not have gone to the effort of fixing it in the OVR SDK if OVR was going to be deprecated to legacy support in the next few months once they move to OpenXR.
    It’s kind of a mute point for me as the only thing I use VR for (x-plane 11) has terrible performance on the rift when not using the native oculus implementation. I’ve no idea if that’s a coding problem by Laminar research or a bug in OVR but the performance drop is as much as 20%. So to have motion and still use rift I’d need Oculus to implement motion canacelation. Feelthree could well have the same problem. A quote from their FAQ section of the website “100% Vive compatible. Rift support depends on their new codebase.” 

Art3mis

They posted an announcement thread here: https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/67817/feel-three-motion-simulator-update-launch-incoming

So I assume as they posted within this very forum that they have a working Oculus version. Well I asked in that thread how they negated chair movement but as I say I didn't get a reply so who knows!

Well the only picture of an actual product that isn’t a render shows a vive puck on the platform and no sign of anything oculus. Time will tell I guess. 
    Art3mis

Well the only picture of an actual product that isn’t a render shows a vive puck on the platform and no sign of anything oculus. Time will tell I guess. 
  • olerocoleroc Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    If you buy a motion platform from Force-Dynamics.com you will get a complete motion compensation solution for all flight simulators, and driving games with Oculus Rift.
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 6,395 Valuable Player
    oleroc said:
    If you buy a motion platform from Force-Dynamics.com you will get a complete motion compensation solution for all flight simulators, and driving games with Oculus Rift.

Just had a look at their website and there's no pricing to be seen, unless I've missed it..?
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever