New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Oculus Home Ideas

PierconicPierconic Posts: 1
NerveGear
edited August 2018 in Oculus Rift S and Rift
There didn't seem to be a thread related to suggestions for the oculus home, It's a great main hub for Oculus, and I've been excited to see the recent additions to it, such as the avatar system. Some of the ideas I've had for future additions include implementing season/daylight cycles into the backgrounds that mimic the players current location's timezone, the ability to edit the size and primary color of objects, and implementing various animals that could wander around your home. Please share thoughts and suggestions for oculus home here!
Tagged:

Comments

• aodhaganaodhagan Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    All of these suggestions are things I'd love to see in the Home.
  • LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,774 Volunteer Moderator
    YES! I love all of the above, I would love to change the size of imported models too, this was advertised in the Blog post from Oculus but never really implemented.

Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)
  • ElusiveMarlinElusiveMarlin Posts: 272
    Nexus 6
    I notice with the latest release, when you select an object (Especially a user created one), there is initially a bounding box around the object with what look to be "grab point", that I assumed would be for scaling, but sadly they do nothing at this time.. :-(

Maybe it is a work in progres and the next release will have it implemented?
    RIFT CV1
    RIFT S

Leeds, UK.

Intel Core i7 8700K 3.7GHz | RAM 32GB DDR4 2666MHz | GeForce GTX 1080 8GB |
    240GB SATA III SSD | 3TB HDD | 867Mbps Built-in Wi-Fi

"Behind every mask there is a face, and behind that a story...."
  • LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,774 Volunteer Moderator
    I notice with the latest release, when you select an object (Especially a user created one), there is initially a bounding box around the object with what look to be "grab point", that I assumed would be for scaling, but sadly they do nothing at this time.. :-(

Maybe it is a work in progres and the next release will have it implemented?
    Looks like we are probably going to see 1.30 at the OC5 event in Sept .. (1 month from now)
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)
    Nexus 6
    I hope so LZ, I've been woking with custom objects for a month or so now, and would really like this dynamic scale feature. 

it's a pain in the ass to have to keep scaling the object, exporting (to a new name, as reusing names is not very reliable), re-importing, and seeing it is not quite right and have to go back through the cycle again!
    RIFT CV1
    RIFT S

Leeds, UK.

• kzintzikzintzi Posts: 1,068
    Wintermute
    since we're here, has anyone played with animated objects yet?
    Though you are more than slightly incoherent, I agree with you Madam,
    a plum is a terrible thing to do to a nostril.
    Nexus 6
    No not at all yet.  I'm not sure what animation a can employ yet.
    I've been too busy leaning static modeling techniques :-)
    RIFT CV1
    RIFT S

Leeds, UK.

• LuluViBritanniaLuluViBritannia Posts: 470
    Trinity
    edited August 2018
    Now that animation loops are available, you can already make more "living" objects ^^. You can definitely make wandering animals, like the birds. Haven't tried that myself though xD!
    Scaling is definitely a must-have, I can't believe they still didn't add such a basic feature...
    As for the seasons, it could be great, but I don't see it as really necessary ^^. More like a performance issue xD.

What would be necessary though, would be the ability to change the architecture of the house. Fair enough, custom objects allow us to do more customized homes. But it's still not enough for me. The pillars are really annoying me, and I would love to get a second floor, and more windows, and more space, and a higher ceiling...
    Current VR results imo:
    - Great small apps. Great ports of bigger games.
    - Great VR-specific features. Not enough showcased!!!
    - Too many actors in the industry, the market is totally broken.

My hopes for VR next gen:

- Better ratio between visual quality and power needs. No more godrays and less SDE.
    - Full Body Tracking.

"If you don't mind, do you want me to take you there? Where dreams come true."
  • Digikid1Digikid1 Posts: 2,050 Valuable Player
    I would LOVE to have a little pasture out in the mountains....and the ability to create my OWN little log cabin piece by piece.

However I HIGHLY doubt that Oculus would be that creative and let us do that.
  • DTHDTH Posts: 257
    Nexus 6
    I would be happy if I could just for a walk in the valley and put my animals there and not on my front porch :)
  • NB_DestroyerNB_Destroyer Posts: 16
    NerveGear
    I'd love it if they could fix the compatibility issues between SteamVR and Oculus Home (yes, I know, not a feature, but still). A lot of the time whenever I launch a game in SteamVR, Oculus Home will still be running in the headset, with slowed performance as my PC then has to supply power for 2 games at once. In terms of features, though, I'd love it if they added full-body avatars, and also added secondary motion-tracking system similar to that of the Kinect using a webcam (or a modified Kinect), so that we can have accurate leg and elbow positioning. I'd also want them to add support for 3rd party controllers such as the Valve Knuckles when they come out.
  • DRninjawarriorDRninjawarrior Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    I have always wanted to make the rec room defualt dorm but never had the patience to do so