Gtx1080Ti and RTX 2080Ti best price/comparison thread - Page 11 — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Gtx1080Ti and RTX 2080Ti best price/comparison thread

Comments

• dburnedburne Posts: 2,595 Valuable Player
    Got my EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra in the machine today.
    Rockin !
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case|
  • KlodsBrikKlodsBrik Posts: 1,189
    Wintermute
    elboffor said:
    I plugged my 3 sensors and headset usb into a none active usb 3 hub. And it just works.
    2080 FE.
    Absolutely cracking!
    What hub do you use? Cause that´s quite interesting !
    Be good, die great !
  • LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,774 Volunteer Moderator
    @RuneSR2 ; those benchmark numbers dont make sense.

On my 1080 with OC turned off, Assasins Creed Origins, which is basically an identical engine and identical game just in a different setting (those games were developed side by side) I get around 80FPS on Ultra at 1080p.

Edit, these are a little bit more realistic, also at 4K the 2080Ti is the only card that is achieving 60fps

Interesting to see why TechPowerup's numbers are considerably lower?
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 3,070 Valuable Player
    @RuneSR2 ; those benchmark numbers dont make sense.

Edit, these are a little bit more realistic, also at 4K the 2080Ti is the only card that is achieving 60fps

Interesting to see why TechPowerup's numbers are considerably lower?

I guess they must somehow use different settings? Both TechPowerUp and IGN state that they use Ultra settings - not "Very High", I wonder if that explains anything... According to IGN, 2080 Ti was 19 % faster than 1080 Ti - that's close to the 15 % measured by TechPowerUp:

Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
    dburne said:
    Got my EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra in the machine today.
    Rockin !

Still waiting to hear about Lone Echo with all settings maxed, especially including resolution 2.0!  :) 
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

BTW, this does look nice - unfortunately my pancake game allergy has gotten really bad lately  :'(

edited October 2018
    RuneSR2 said:
    BTW, this does look nice - unfortunately my pancake game allergy has gotten really bad lately  :'(

Yeah, it does, the AC Origins one is set in Ancient Egypt and it's stunning, it even has a virtual tour mode where there are no quests or enemies and you get a guided tour through Egypt, including the tombs, Alexandria etc .. also in other news:

2080Ti at a £200 reduction (now £1099.99):

https://www.awd-it.co.uk/gigabyte-geforce-rtx-2080-ti-gaming-oc-11gb-gddr6-pci-express-vr-graphics-card.html?wgu=13527_206719_15404873692539_e61bbf76f1&wgexpiry=1548263369&source=webgains&siteid=206719
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

edited October 2018
    LZoltowski said:

2080Ti at a £200 reduction (now £1099.99):

I did notice a price drop the other day. Strange that I can't find a review of the Gigabyte Windforce 2080 Ti model - all I can find is the Gigabyte Gaming OC 2080 Ti - and The Guru didn't like it much (3/5 stars):

https://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/gigabyte-geforce-rtx-2080-ti-gaming-oc-11g-review,1.html

"Also, and Gigabyte I love you guys and girls, but when you name a product gaming OC and plant that OC label on the box and in the SKU name, then people really expect something more than a 15 MHz increase on the clock frequency. The result of that factory tweak is an overall 1 maybe 2 % performance increase." 

Gaming OC is too big for my case - Windforce could be perfect. 

BTW, just checked, and it seems my MSI Gaming X 1080 costs much the same as last year (within 10% range). For now it seems RTX has done little/nothing to help lower gpu prices for ordinary consumers - which could boost VR adoption. 

• MowTinMowTin Posts: 1,606
    Project 2501
    edited October 2018
    RuneSR2 said:

Still waiting to hear about Lone Echo with all settings maxed, especially including resolution 2.0!  :) 
    I tried 2.0 in Lone Echo. It's a nogo.Drops to 45fps ASW. Maybe a better CPU than my i7 6700k @4.4Ghz could make a difference. 
    i7 6700k 2080ti   Rift-S, Index
    MowTin said:
    RuneSR2 said:

I tried 2.0 in Lone Echo. It's a nogo.Drops to 45fps ASW. Maybe a better CPU than my i7 6700k @4.4Ghz could make a difference. 
    Ok, thanks - I don't think it's the cpu - going from ss 2.0 to 1.5 I go from 45 asw to 90 fps, maybe it's too much with the MSAA. Maybe if you deactivate MSAA keeping TAA, everything else maxed? But a good thing that the game worked and didn't crash. And thanks for taking the time to test the game!

• elbofforelboffor Posts: 2,572 Valuable Player
    KlodsBrik said:
    elboffor said:
    I plugged my 3 sensors and headset usb into a none active usb 3 hub. And it just works.
    2080 FE.
    Absolutely cracking!
    Just some no brand POS 3quid jobby from amazon
    This is my forum signature.
    There are many others like it, but this is mine.
  • bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 3,989 Valuable Player
    RuneSR2 said:

Christ that looks amazing. Is that with rtx on?
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
    RuneSR2 said:

Christ that looks amazing. Is that with rtx on?
    No, some dude modded the shading to make the lighting appear more realistic. Should look the same on 1080 Ti, but of course RTX 2080 Ti will improve fps.

• bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 3,989 Valuable Player
    I wonder why games don't have an option to look like that out of the box then options like reshade etc not needed
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
    edited October 2018
    I wonder why games don't have an option to look like that out of the box then options like reshade etc not needed

Games are usually made for the lowest possible common denominator in terms of hardware requirements, also the fact that they are made for current gen consoles means that they are often downgraded in visual fidelity.

What injectors like ENB allow for is to tweak colours, shaders, reflections, AO, etc and often introduce newer rendering techniques into older engines.

For example, I made a GTA V showcase of an amazing ENB preset and a mod that increase realism, pushing the engine beyond it's original design.

It's also laziness and development time, one great example is Red Dead Redemption2, the visuals are insane, yet they are running perfectly well on current gen consoles, but they did have a $400 million budget and 7 years :P

here is a video I made of my GTA V with some mods and ENB, remember this is an almost 6yr old game :)

• elbofforelboffor Posts: 2,572 Valuable Player
    daym that looks purdy!
    This is my forum signature.
    There are many others like it, but this is mine.
  • Techy111Techy111 Posts: 6,359 Volunteer Moderator
    Just been informed that there is motherboard issues with my msi tri ti and is due into the store on the 19th Nov, a date hopefully that will stick ???
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

Wintermute
    elboffor said:
    KlodsBrik said:
    elboffor said:
    2080 FE.
    Absolutely cracking!
    Just some no brand POS 3quid jobby from amazon
    Im gonna get a USB-C hub to se if that works with my mobo. Running out of ports as everyone else.
     Would love to have some sort of adapter to be able to measure usb data and power output. Anyone knows of any ?
    Sorry for offtopic btw.
    Be good, die great !
    @KlodsBrik this type of thingy ? = PortaPow USB/DC Premium Power Monitor https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00LZ07BG0/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_h8d1Bb4TXRAX8
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

Wintermute
    Definately a possibility. Not to expensive. Will get one just to do some random tests.
     This could actually help the whole of the community.
     I would love to figure out why some cables, active or not do work better than others.
    imo ( guessing ) it comes down to chipset vs. mobo vs. psu. Time to do some testing !
     Thx @Techy111 :)
    Be good, die great !
    Wintermute
    I really hope this is clickbait only ( Concerning you who have already pruchased a 20xx card ):

Concerns are mounting over the failure rate of Nvidia’s RTX 2080 Ti graphics card, with increasing numbers of reports of dead and dying cards from early adopters. Some display issues involving artifacting and instability immediately after being installed, whilst others begin to show signs of degradation after a few days, despite a lack of manual overclocking or voltage manipulation.

Nvidia’s recently released RTX Turing graphics cards are the most powerful consumer GPUs ever made and support exciting new gaming visual features like deep learning supersampling (DLSS) and ray tracing. That said, the performance enhancement over the last generation isn’t as dramatic as first hoped and inflated pricing left some concerned about the real audience for such cards. Mere weeks after they became widely available, quality assurance concerns now join those earlier issues.

Threads have been cropping up on Nvidia’s forum about dead and dying RTX 2080 Ti cards for weeks now, with almost every thread over several pages with hundreds of comments highlighting crashes, black screens, blue screen of death issues, artifacts, and cards that fail to work entirely. There are some reports of issues with the 2080, too, but the majority are referencing problematic 2080 Ti cards.

Reddit threads with a similar theme have been appearing as well, detailing the RMA process that many users are now going through. Worse still, some users who have been issued a replacement card by Nvidia have then been forced to return that one, too, suggesting that in some cases at least, the problem users are facing is not solved by simply giving them a new graphics card. That could hint at some sort of architectural defect.

The problems appear to be affecting those with Founders Edition versions of the 2080 Ti the most, though some users with third-party cards from Gigabyte and Asus have also reported failures and problems with their new GPUs.

It is worth noting that failure numbers may be skewed by the fact that people who aren’t facing problems are unlikely to report back with similar zeal. However, the similar issues that appear to be arising for such large numbers of 2080 Ti owners is cause for concern.

Be good, die great !
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    Yeah, I had to RMA one of my 2080 Ti cards. Had constant crashes and blue screens. I should be getting the replacement tomorrow, hopefully that will be the end of the problems.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
    KlodsBrik said:
    I really hope this is clickbait only ( Concerning you who have already pruchased a 20xx card ):

Concerns are mounting over the failure rate of Nvidia’s RTX 2080 Ti graphics card, with increasing numbers of reports of dead and dying cards from early adopters. Some display issues involving artifacting and instability immediately after being installed, whilst others begin to show signs of degradation after a few days, despite a lack of manual overclocking or voltage manipulation.

Nvidia’s recently released RTX Turing graphics cards are the most powerful consumer GPUs ever made and support exciting new gaming visual features like deep learning supersampling (DLSS) and ray tracing. That said, the performance enhancement over the last generation isn’t as dramatic as first hoped and inflated pricing left some concerned about the real audience for such cards. Mere weeks after they became widely available, quality assurance concerns now join those earlier issues.

Threads have been cropping up on Nvidia’s forum about dead and dying RTX 2080 Ti cards for weeks now, with almost every thread over several pages with hundreds of comments highlighting crashes, black screens, blue screen of death issues, artifacts, and cards that fail to work entirely. There are some reports of issues with the 2080, too, but the majority are referencing problematic 2080 Ti cards.

Reddit threads with a similar theme have been appearing as well, detailing the RMA process that many users are now going through. Worse still, some users who have been issued a replacement card by Nvidia have then been forced to return that one, too, suggesting that in some cases at least, the problem users are facing is not solved by simply giving them a new graphics card. That could hint at some sort of architectural defect.

The problems appear to be affecting those with Founders Edition versions of the 2080 Ti the most, though some users with third-party cards from Gigabyte and Asus have also reported failures and problems with their new GPUs.

It is worth noting that failure numbers may be skewed by the fact that people who aren’t facing problems are unlikely to report back with similar zeal. However, the similar issues that appear to be arising for such large numbers of 2080 Ti owners is cause for concern.

Thank goodness these cards are so inexpensive! - I mean with prices like that it's not worth the shipping cost to return the damn thing - just get a new one!  :D

• WildtWildt Posts: 1,959 Valuable Player
    edited October 2018
    Another article about failing 2080ti's 

The theory is memory degradation.
    Asus Z370-A ||  Watercooled 8700K || 16 GB gSkill DDR4 3200 || Samsung SSD 840PRO 256GB+850PRO 256GB+850EVO 500GB+970EVO 1TB || Watercooled FE Geforce 1080ti || Zalman Reserator XT watercooler || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3 || Asus ROG PG279Q  G-sync monitor
    I wonder if it's the reason some manufacturers have been delaying the release of the cards?

I have just been told by the store i ordered from my MSI card is delayed again til the end of November and this is due to component issues with the card, so yes I bet they are correcting things ???

• Star-lizardStar-lizard Posts: 339
    Trinity
    So is this an issue with all rtx 2080 and rtx 2080 Ti cards 

• cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    I got my replacement card yesterday. Far Cry 5 still crashed after like 30 minutes, but it's probably some game/driver issue and (I hope) not the hardware. Everything else was running good, 3dmark, Heaven on loop for 1 hour, SotTR, etc.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • dburnedburne Posts: 2,595 Valuable Player
    I have been rocking my EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra for a week now, so far I have been quite pleased.

Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case|