Gtx1080Ti and RTX 2080Ti best price/comparison thread - Page 12 — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Gtx1080Ti and RTX 2080Ti best price/comparison thread

Comments

• EvileyesEvileyes Posts: 344
    Trinity
    dburne said:
    I have been rocking my EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra for a week now, so far I have been quite pleased.

That's what im buying when it comes in stock of course :)
  • elbofforelboffor Posts: 2,572 Valuable Player
    Well my 2080 FE seems to be running fine and have +1000 on memory.
    That said I do keep my card below 50' with a ridiculously aggressive fan curve (100% at 42')
    This is my forum signature.
    There are many others like it, but this is mine.
  • SkScotcheggSkScotchegg Posts: 1,201
    Wintermute
    edited November 2018
    I was reading through this thread and read different opinions on weather it's worth buying an RTX card and there's something I think a lot of people have forgot about, which is Nvidia are supporting VR with these next cards by making an industry standard VR port on the back of the card called "VirtualLink VR Connector". So when Rift CV2 comes out we can use VirtualLink to connect the HMD to our PC's. 

So these new RTX cards will future proof us for VR as well as provide a performance upgrade for people with lower spec cards. I only have a GTX 1060 so I think an RTX 2080 will be good for me. I reckon if you have a GTX 1080 or higher though there's no rush to upgrade unless you have money to burn.
    UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!
  • bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 3,987 Valuable Player
    indeed, VR Link is definitely a plus point of the new GF cards and i believe it is working even now on the current hmds with a cheapo adapter.

Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
  • dburnedburne Posts: 2,594 Valuable Player
    edited November 2018
    I was reading through this thread and read different opinions on weather it's worth buying an RTX card and there's something I think a lot of people have forgot about, which is Nvidia are supporting VR with these next cards by making an industry standard VR port on the back of the card called "VirtualLink VR Connector". So when Rift CV2 comes out we can use VirtualLink to connect the HMD to our PC's. 

So these new RTX cards will future proof us for VR as well as provide a performance upgrade for people with lower spec cards. I only have a GTX 1060 so I think an RTX 2080 will be good for me. I reckon if you have a GTX 1080 or higher though there's no rush to upgrade unless you have money to burn.

I have been running my Rift and Sensors in that new Virtual Link Port on my 2080 Ti for couple of days now...
    https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/70673/oculus-any-plans-to-offer-virtual-link-for-rift-virtual-link-works/p1

So far appears to be working well, but will be spending much more time with it over the next 2-3 days. Nice having everything plugged into that Virtual Link Port. Neat, tidy, and freed up three USB 3 ports and my HDMI port on GPU.
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case|
  • SkScotcheggSkScotchegg Posts: 1,201
    Wintermute
    dburne said:

I have been running my Rift and Sensors in that new Virtual Link Port on my 2080 Ti for couple of days now...
    https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/70673/oculus-any-plans-to-offer-virtual-link-for-rift-virtual-link-works/p1

So far appears to be working well, but will be spending much more time with it over the next 2-3 days. Nice having everything plugged into that Virtual Link Port. Neat, tidy, and freed up three USB 3 ports and my HDMI port on GPU.

That sounds brilliant mate, thanks for letting us know.
    UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!
  • LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,774 Volunteer Moderator
    edited November 2018
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)
  • bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 3,987 Valuable Player
    edited November 2018
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
  • LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,774 Volunteer Moderator

Sorry yeah corrected, was doing something else at the same time lol ... thanks for spotting it haha
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,569 Valuable Player
    edited November 2018
    Nice to see the Geforce 1080Ti cards been sold for the same price they were at launch a couple of years ago - NOT :D

These cards should be under £500 by now..
  • kojackkojack Posts: 5,451 Volunteer Moderator
    My favourite parts store now has 2080 TIs in stock. The cheapest is the Inno3D at $1934au. The most expensive is the EVGA Ultra at $2199au. The Asus Turbo sits in between at $1999au.

($1934au is currently $1406.89us)

I loaded Witcher 3 a couple of days ago. It's settings are still set for my (dead) 1080. Running on a 980 without reconfiguring was horrible (barely playable framerate). My urge to get a 2080TI is rising. These reports of faults are damping that though.

• Star-lizardStar-lizard Posts: 338
    Trinity
    kojack said:
    My favourite parts store now has 2080 TIs in stock. The cheapest is the Inno3D at $1934au. The most expensive is the EVGA Ultra at $2199au. The Asus Turbo sits in between at $1999au.

($1934au is currently $1406.89us)

I loaded Witcher 3 a couple of days ago. It's settings are still set for my (dead) 1080. Running on a 980 without reconfiguring was horrible (barely playable framerate). My urge to get a 2080TI is rising. These reports of faults are damping that though.

Well in Canada we are in a similar state with the prices being similar .I had a rx480 and went to the rtx 2080 as I just couldn't convince myself to spent 2k on a card . It's doimg a great job @ a cost of $1080 dollars and most 2080 ti card failires look to be driver related but not all. 2080 cards fall under the same driver issue but not as many reports on those having  failures 
  • Techy111Techy111 Posts: 6,354 Volunteer Moderator
    My MSI tri frozr TI will finally (hopefully) be delivered next Friday. Not bad for ordering mid September lol 
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

edited November 2018
    @kojack - Why don't you just buy a used Geforce 1080? I am playing The Wicher on a Geforce 1080 with all setting set to ultra apart from shadows set to high. I'm also upscalling on my 1080p monitor to 1440. I have a constant 60 fps and the game looks awesome..

I wish I could afford to buy a Geforce 2080 TI, but it would take me a year to pay for it at £100 a month. Then again I don't really need one because I don't play games at 4k resolution. I get 60fps on all my games at 2k though with a Geforce 1080 and I can max out all my settings..
  • kojackkojack Posts: 5,451 Volunteer Moderator
    RedRizla said:
    @kojack - Why don't you just buy a used Geforce 1080?

I never buy second hand computer parts, who knows how things were treated before I got them.
    Plus I'd prefer not to spend money to just be back to where I was, I want something better than my previous 1080. :)

• cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    The price is steep, but the 2080 Ti is an awesome card. I did have to RMA the first one I got due to blue screen issues, but after I received the new one and tweaked my rig, it's working nicely. Big upgrade from the GTX 1080 I had before, something like 50% better performance.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
    Well an update on my order, wasn't next Friday lol been posted today here tomorrow :)
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

• KlodsBrikKlodsBrik Posts: 1,189
    Wintermute
    Be good, die great !
    I wonder if this is why the delay on a lot of 2080ti's hitting the shelves ???

edited November 2018
    These cards been expensive have brought on a bit of dilemma for me. I have a Geforce 1080 and was all for upgrading to a Geforce 2080Ti thinking it would be £750 at most. I don't want to upgrade and get something like Geforce 1080Ti because it's a 2 years old card now, but like many other people I just can't afford paying over £1000 for a 2080Ti. I've always been a PC gamer, but Nvidia doing this has made me seriously think about waiting for a Playstation 5 and getting a 4k television. When I consider I'd get both the console and a 4k television for the cost of what Nvida are charging for one these cards, it has made me seriously think about it.. 

Such a shame, but it really is making me think about giving up on PC gaming. The Geforce 1080Ti is more or less the same price it was at launch 2 years ago, so Nvidia is just taking the pish with these prices now. How can I justify upgrading to a card like the Geforce 1080Ti when it's 2 years old and is the same price it was 2 years ago? I'd of given up with PC gaming years ago if these consoles used a keyboard and mouse..
    Look at it this way.....get 350 to 400 for your 1080 and then the price would be about the same as a 1080ti. Something to consider mate?

Just sold my 1080 for 390 ;)

Yeah, I didn't think of that tbh. 
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 3,064 Valuable Player
    edited November 2018
    RedRizla said:
    These cards been expensive have brought on a bit of dilemma for me. I have a Geforce 1080 and was all for upgrading thinking these Geforce 2080Ti cards would be £750 at most. I don't want to upgrade and get something like Geforce 1080Ti because it's a 2 years old now, but like many other people I just can't afford paying over £1000. I've always been a PC gamer, but Nvidia doing this has made me seriously think about waiting for a Playstation 5 and getting a 4k television. When I consider I'd get both the console and 4k television for the cost of what Nvida are charging for one these cards, it has made me think about it.. 

Such a shame, but it really is making me think of giving up on PC gaming. The Geforce 1080Ti is more or less the same price it was at launch 2 years ago, so Nvidia is taking the pish with these prices now. How can I justify upgrading to a card like the Geforce 1080Ti, when it's 2 years old and is the same price it was 2 years ago? I'd of given up with PC gaming years ago if these consoles used a keyboard and mouse..

Just saw that one nearby shop tried to sell new 1080 cards as "budget cards" - for $700/£500 per card. It's not even funny - cards priced that high have been high-end for the last decade and more, and I don't think Nvidia can change how ordinary consumers view gaming products by suddenly charging twice the normal price for new high-end cards. For many gamers I'm convinced that 1050 Ti and lower would be considered budget cards, 1060 would be considered standard, 1070 would be semi-high-end, and everything above high-end (based on current prices).

I think Nvidia's current prices will more or less just lock the market until real competition arrives - in the form of new consoles or especially AMD video cards. VR really needs more og cheaper GPU power, having Nvidia to maintain current GPU prices and milking the extremely few ultra-high-end users will probably not stimulate VR adoption - it might even have the opposite effect, angering and alienating potential VR users.
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
    edited November 2018
    @RuneSR2 - Lets hope Oculus CV2 doesn't need something like a Geforce 2080Ti. We all know now that without things like Foveated Rendering that the chances are we are going to require a more powerful Graphics card if we want higher resolutions. Sadly with the current prices of these Geforce Cards people might just look at PS VR more, because I can't see millions of people purchasing PC VR, if the price of a PC to use it is going to be ridiculous from now on. If anything it is that which might make Oculus give up on PV-VR, if they can't come up with tech that will limit the need for a powerful GPU..
  • dburnedburne Posts: 2,594 Valuable Player
    Well the high end PC-Gamers are certainly not hesitating getting the 20x series of cards, still even now they can be hard to find. But at the same time I know Oculus is going after more than just the aforementioned gamers.
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case|
  • yefim88yefim88 Posts: 8
    NerveGear
    edited November 2018
    I think there is good reason that a 1080 TI is a purchase more interesting than a 2080. Because the latter is still a step up.
    In the real world (not the theoretical price announced by Nvidia) the 2080 still costs 850 to 950 euros, while the 1080 TI start trading less than 700. It is still 150 euros less, for the same performance !
    When to raytracing, even if it turns out to be the future of gaming it will not be before one or two more generations. Until then, only some isolated titles will use it for one or two nice but dispensable effects.
    For me, raytracing is a bit like pixel shaders. It ended up becoming a standard, but the first cards that supported it (the gforce 3) were out of date before the games started to use it. So the gforce 3 have never done too much pixel shaders.

dburne said:
    Well the high end PC-Gamers are certainly not hesitating getting the 20x series of cards, still even now they can be hard to find. But at the same time I know Oculus is going after more than just the aforementioned gamers.

Where is the link for the number of PC gamers who have purchased the 2080Ti? I'd be interested to see the numbers because according to Steam it shows that gamers were using cards like the Geforce 1060 and 1050, so not even the 1080's were the most used cards by gamers.

I think you've missed the point I was making here, which was that Oculus needs PC VR to work on cheaper computers from now on, if it wants PC VR to be sold to millions of people. If these Geforce 20 cards are selling like hot cakes though can you put up a link for me that gives numbers sold to gamers so far? 

I know VR isn't going to go away and in years to come we will have a headset with all the bells and whistles. But that will be when other tech is much more cheaper, so at this rate I doubt I'll see the VR I'd like to see in my life time. I'll finish of saying what I said at the start. I hope Oculus can make higher resolution PC VR headsets, that don't rely on a powerful GPU that costs £1000 plus. That was the point I was making..
  • RTZRRTZR Posts: 28
    Brain Burst
    edited November 2018
    739 € for a 2080 is bang for the buck imho. Ok, it may not be the fastest custom card with the best cooling solution but hey its a rtx 2080... 

BTW: I remember KFA2 is called Galax outside Europe if you are looking for it....