Gtx1080Ti and RTX 2080Ti best price/comparison thread - Page 13 — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Gtx1080Ti and RTX 2080Ti best price/comparison thread

Comments

• RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 3,094 Valuable Player
    edited November 2018
     RedRizla said:
    dburne said:
    Well the high end PC-Gamers are certainly not hesitating getting the 20x series of cards, still even now they can be hard to find. But at the same time I know Oculus is going after more than just the aforementioned gamers.

Where is the link for the number of PC gamers who have purchased the 2080Ti? I'd be interested to see the numbers because according to Steam it shows that gamers were using cards like the Geforce 1060 and 1050, so not even the 1080's were the most used cards by gamers.

I think you've missed the point I was making here, which was that Oculus needs PC VR to work on cheaper computers from now on, if it wants PC VR to be sold to millions of people. If these Geforce 20 cards are selling like hot cakes though can you put up a link for me that gives numbers sold to gamers so far? 

I know VR isn't going to go away and in years to come we will have a headset with all the bells and whistles. But that will be when other tech is much more cheaper, so at this rate I doubt I'll see the VR I'd like to see in my life time. I''ll finish of saying what I said at the start. I hope Oculus can make higher resolution PC VR headsets, that don't rely on a powerful GPU that costs £1000 plus. That was the point I was making..

I completely agree - I think the last number I saw in the Steam Hardware Survey was that 1.45 % had a 1080 Ti. If Nvidia keeps current prices, I wouldn't be surprised to see less than 1 % using 2080 and 2080 Ti combined in 6 months.

BTW, I noted that there were only 10 Odyssey+ reviews in the Microsoft Store - that's extremely few, I can't believe that many have bought that HMD with so few reviews available, and now they've dumped the price from $499 to 299 - that's weird too, unless they don't sell anything at $499... And recent $40 games like Evasion only having 10 ratings in The Oculus Store is rather shocking - ok, the game has 20 reviews on Steam, but to me it indicates extremely low sale numbers...  

We really need many more users to support VR, and RTX would be awesome if 2080 Ti wasn't priced higher than $499 or maybe $599. Personally I really don't believe that the 2080 Ti should cost more than $599. And then I'd love to see users being able to get 1080 performance for $199 - now when RTX has arrived.  

OK, that does it - I'm buying Evasion full price today! o:)

Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

• Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 3,698 Valuable Player
    edited November 2018
    Any good? I am enjoying "somewhat" Fallout 76 at 4K 60fps with my 2080 Ti. Not had any issues with it and it's a FE as well.

System Specs: RTX 2080 ti , i9 9900K CPU, 16 GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.
    edited November 2018
    Any good? I am enjoying "somewhat" Fallout 76 at 4K 60fps with my 2080 Ti. Not had any issues with it and it's a FE as well.
    It's still downloading - I'm on a slow but free connection. I'll let you know hopefully later this evening (it's 7GB, so not that big - 15GB when installed). I read one 1080 Ti owner complain about Evasion performance, so maybe I'll soon need a 2080 Ti, lol. 

Fallout 76 does look great - I just need to finish Fallout 4 VR first, and I've already crossed the first bridge and entered the very first town ;) 

BTW, some more 2080 Ti gossip here:

https://www.eteknix.com/geforce-rtx-2080-ti-de-listed-on-nvidias-online-store/

• Techy111Techy111 Posts: 6,380 Volunteer Moderator
    And @RuneSR2 go there again, they retracted the story nigh on, it's in red LMAO 
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

Techy111 said:
    And @RuneSR2 go there again, they retracted the story nigh on, it's in red LMAO 
     They had already done that when I posted the link - that's why I called it gossip - but still it's a bit strange, I think they've sold out before without being delisted?! Well, it's probably nothing. 

It's quite awesome - you may be able to max out every setting using a 2080 Ti - or max out everything but antialiasing (which still would be awesome) - I wrote a more elaborate review here:

https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/71305/evasion-is-an-awesome-experience

• RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,581 Valuable Player
    edited November 2018
    I've just been reading about the new Consoles and what tech they are expected have. I read they should have Ray tracing capabilities and if that's the case then why is Raytracing been used as an excuse to charge more for these Nvidia Geforce cards? If these Consoles can include it in a console that will probably sell for £499, why then is it £1000 plus for just a Geforce Graphics card?

How do Consoles manage to be cheap with all the tech they include, that's what I'm really asking?
    edited November 2018
    RedRizla said:
    I've just been reading about the new Consoles and what tech they are expected have. I read they should have Ray tracing capabilities and if that's the case then why is Ray tracing been used as an excuse to charge more for these Nvidia Geforce cards? if Consoles can include it in a console that will probably sell for £499, why the £1000 plus for just a Geforce Graphics card?

How do Consoles manage to be cheap with all the tech they include, that's what I'm really asking?
    Because Microsoft and Sony initially make little or no money on new consoles - like:

""For both Microsoft and Sony, their latest-generation video game console hardware is unprofitable at the time of release, requiring the companies to subsidize it initially," said Steve Mather, senior principal analyst for IHS. "However, these companies easily can largely compensate for their losses though sales of highly lucrative game titles. Meanwhile, as the cost to produce the consoles decreases according to the normal learning-curve dynamics in the electronics industry, the companies can cut their retail pricing-or pad their profits. Over time, Microsoft is likely to reduce the retail price of the Xbox One in order to maintain sales momentum."

Microsoft may also be more willing to take a loss on hardware sales with the Xbox One than it has for its previous-generation products.

"The Xbox One is designed to serve as a beachhead in the home for Microsoft, with the console's capability to interact with-and interface to-other devices, such as televisions, set-top boxes, smartphones and tablets," Mather noted. "Gaining such a strategic advantage in the battle to control the connected home and Internet-enabled living room is well worth having the Xbox One act as a loss leader for Microsoft."
    Source: https://www.engadget.com/2013/11/26/teardown-suggests-xbox-one-manufacturing-cost-of-471/

Instead they make money from the games. That's why console games often are much more expensive than PC games. And I'm wondering if Oculus did the same with their hardware summer 2017 and still might not profit (much) from selling a Rift for $399. 

Then again - I think Nvidia is just greedy, because they can be - Nvidia has no real competition. They're still milking the 1080 (Ti) cows just as much as last year... 

I do believe a PS5 with PSVR2 could be an extremely serious competitor to PCVR. If games are Rift quality and beyond - and you can get it for less than 1k - the math may be simple  B)

- That why I think it's so important to support PCVR - no matter if your HMD is from Oculus, HTC or Samsung - or the consoles may eat us all ;-) Already now many PCVR games were initially made for the PS4. 

edited November 2018
    @RuneSR2 - I've read a few things about PS-5 and PS VR and it's shaping up to be something quite special if I've read it correctly. I'm surprised Microsoft XBox hasn't come up with anything yet for VR, because the XBox 2 will be a power house..
    edited November 2018
    RedRizla said:
    @RuneSR2 - I've read a few things about PS-5 and PS VR and it's shaping up to be something quite special if I've read it correctly.
    Same here - if Oculus wants to support PCVR, making a new HMD that's (way) ahead of Sony's upcoming next-gen HMD may be quite important - that's why I'm not that fond of Quest - and I can fully understand if Iribe had similar thoughts. 

Moss, Evasion were just some example of games primarily made for the PS4 - so the consolitis is already spreading and few true PCVR games seem to remain. BTW, if someone thinks that this brand new game in the Oculus Store was made for the Rift, think again ;-)

https://www.playstation.com/en-us/games/scraper-first-strike-ps4/

Thus using the Rift we're already playing PS4-games on hardware similar to the PS5  :D (Beat Saber, Electronauts, Creed, Pixel Ripped and many more PCVR games are already available for PSVR. )

edited November 2018
    I think PS VR will sell another load of headsets this Christmas. It's currently £179.99 Black Friday deal and comes with Astro Bot and Resident Evil VR included. Slightly lower Resolution then the Rift, but it can even run on a PlayStation 4 as well as a PlayStation 4 Pro. I expect their next PS VR headset would be something like Vive Pro resolution..
    edited November 2018
    RedRizla said:
    I think PS VR will sell another load of headsets this Christmas. It's currently £179.99 Black Friday deal and comes with Astro Bot and Resident Evil VR included. Slightly lower Resolution then the Rift, but it can even run on a PlayStation 4 as well as a PlayStation 4 Pro. I expect their next PS VR headset would be something like Vive Pro resolution..
    In 2020 the real interesting equation may be:

PS5 + HMD + Touch-like controls < or = or > PCVR (RTX powered)

I think it's really important that PCVR is much better than PS5VR - if cost of PCVR is much higher. Cpu power will probably always win with PCVR, but if the lowest common denominator is the PS5 when developing a VR game, then onscreen polys won't be more than the PS5 can handle. I guess much will depend on the GPU + HMD for PCVR. 2c.

edited November 2018
    Yeah and the other factor been price. Hope these RTX Cards fall significantly in price by 2020, but I doubt they will when you look at the cost of a 2 year old Geforce 1080 Ti. You can currently get 3 or 4 PlayStation Pro 4's for the price of a single Geforce 2080Ti. You'll probably be able to get 2 PlayStation 5's..
    What I've experienced so far with my 2080ti I'd pass on a PS5 or 6.......
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

edited November 2018
    Techy111 said:
    What I've experienced so far with my 2080ti I'd pass on a PS5 or 6.......

What have you experienced? Better fps in 4k no doubt ;)

If the price is right for a PlayStation 5 and a good PS VR headset, I know what I'll be getting. The cost will force me to make that choice and Sony are doing some good VR games of their own. There's still nothing like Resident Evil as far VR horror goes and they are already producing some other good VR games..
    edited November 2018
    Yes mate 4k is stunningly breathtaking and vr is now effortless for me, no going back. Pricey? Hells yes but damn worth it imo mate

As an edit, I'd just like to say this is the 1st time In my life I've gone to the sharp end of gpu's and a grand is a HUGE investment for me. 4 kids and all that blah ;)

@RuneSR2 - I have to say this looks promising if true and they think it comes from a good source. 

PS5 will be revealed in mid-2019 with a similar event to the PS4 reveal event. After that, PSX will return to offer more information, using it to finally show off new stuff for the next-gen console. They go on to say that Sony is targeting a March 2020 PlayStation 5 release date, but that it could get pushed to November 2020. Apparently the console is a monster capable of a stable 4k and 60 fps. The PS5 will use a Ryzen 8 core and cost $500.

In addition to information about the PS5 directly, they also took the opportunity to talk about the PSVR 2 and a few games. Apparently the PSVR 2’s processing box will be built into the console this time around, making the connection much less cumbersome. It will have a built in camera for internal position tracking (as will the DualShock 5 controllers). New PlayStation Move controllers are said to be coming, along with some VR gloves currently being tested. Late PS4 games will apparently also be on the PS5, including titles like Death StrandingThe Last of Us Part II, and Ghost of Tsushima.

• bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 4,005 Valuable Player
    i just want VR to stick and really if that means me having to get high resolution PS5 ports a lot of the time rather than the ground up PCVR titles then so be it.

My only worry about PSVR is Sony paying multiformat devs to lock VR features to PSVR.....   Stuff from naughty dog etc aint likely to come to PC and i (begrudgingly) accept that.... but stuff like resident evil, the VR stuff in battlefield and the like is not cool however imo.. that is my only worry about Sony becoming the leading VR powerhouse).

As for PS5 and Raytracing... i hope so, because that will mean AMD will be offering some form of RTX, which in turn should keep nvidia honest...... which i do not think is the case at the moment.
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
  • EvileyesEvileyes Posts: 345
    Trinity
    edited November 2018

I finally got it... Its been out of stock for so long.. (this bastard is coming next day air)

EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 ULTRA GAMING, 11G-P4-2487-KR, 11GB GDDR6, iCX2 & RGB LED

https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=11G-P4-2487-KR

P.S. I will never buy anything Nvidia again, lesson learned.

• bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 4,005 Valuable Player
    meh! 2080tis are so last week..... this is where the enthusiast user is at ;)

Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
    That'll be 2500 quid then  :o

Techy111 said:
    That'll be 2500 quid then  :o

If it performs similar or better to 2 x 2080 Ti you could call that cheap  ;)

• KlodsBrikKlodsBrik Posts: 1,189
    Wintermute
    Just buy it ... :cry:
    Be good, die great !
  • LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,774 Volunteer Moderator
    I'll buy it in 3 years, when it's come down in price to $1999
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)
  • elbofforelboffor Posts: 2,572 Valuable Player
    Gonna pre order 2 of em. 
    Not for SLI, but one for the week and the other reserved for Sunday best
    This is my forum signature.
    There are many others like it, but this is mine.
    I'll buy it in 3 years, when it's come down in price to $1999

That will be a bargain considering the Geforce Ti's will no doubt be $2000 in a few years time..
  • BoKekLolsmanBoKekLolsman Posts: 7
    NerveGear
    My gosh, the prices are so terrifying
    Yup I paid 1069 quid for my msi tri frozr TI and strangely the same site is now selling it for 1499......why ? God knows 

edited December 2018
    Techy111 said:
    Yup I paid 1069 quid for my msi tri frozr TI and strangely the same site is now selling it for 1499......why ? God knows 

Could be that they aren't selling enough, so they increase the price to make more of a profit on the ones they do sell. Could also be that they are selling like hot cakes at £1069, so they have increased the price to make more of a profit lol. I doubt they are selling like hot cakes at £1069 though because that's already a lot of money to pay.