Gtx1080Ti and RTX 2080Ti best price/comparison thread - Page 14 — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Gtx1080Ti and RTX 2080Ti best price/comparison thread

Comments

• Techy111Techy111 Posts: 6,352 Volunteer Moderator
    I just checked, they had 20 in last Friday and sold out already. Seems like the MSI series are super popular mate.
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

• RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,560 Valuable Player
    edited December 2018
    Techy111 said:
    I just checked, they had 20 in last Friday and sold out already. Seems like the MSI series are super popular mate.

I think the price increase is due to a shortage of stock then, but how these people get away with increasing pricing like that due to stock shortages is beyond me. I wouldn't say selling 20 a week is a lot though, because that only amounts to 1040 sold over the course of a year from this supplier. 

They should get more stock instead of increasing prices due to stock shortages, if that's their reason for the price increase. I'm trying to think of another reason for such a price increase, but I can't think of one.. 
  • LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,774 Volunteer Moderator
    I have a feeling that the yield for these chips is quite low and Nvidia is having issues making enough. Gen two of RTX should be a bit smoother once they work out all the kinks.
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 3,054 Valuable Player
    I have a feeling that the yield for these chips is quite low and Nvidia is having issues making enough. Gen two of RTX should be a bit smoother once they work out all the kinks.

Amen to that! ;)
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
    Just had a look at the oculus hardware report, not many buyers here, no 2080 Ti's only 1.1% of 2080's

Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

edited December 2018
    Just had a look at the oculus hardware report, not many buyers here, no 2080 Ti's only 1.1% of 2080's

So it seems safe to assume that currently less than 1 % of Rift users have a 2080 Ti. 2080 is significantly cheaper than 2080 Ti and will replace the 1080 Ti, it wouldn't surprise me to see the number of 2080 users increase, although there may be little or no motivation for 1080 Ti owners to change cards to 2080s. 

Thanks for the very interesting info!
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

• PhoenixSpyderPhoenixSpyder Posts: 217
    Nexus 6
    Had my 1080ti since release and will wait for at least gen 2+ RTX. Not enough incentive for anything else for me presently. Price per performance presently isn't worth it...
    i7 8700k @ 5ghz, Asus Rog Strix Z370-E Gaming, MSI 1080ti Gaming X @ 2050Ghz + 11.4Ghz ram, 32 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2666 Ghz, Adata SX900 SSD, Adata SX6000NP M.2 SSD, Adata SU650 SSD, Toshiba 3TB HD, Oculus Rift, Odyssey Plus, Windows 10 Pro 1803

"Presently developing a VR project (outside of my profession) due to the lack of availability of what I would like to experience" Details in a year or two...
  • kojackkojack Posts: 5,450 Volunteer Moderator
    Amazon Australia have the EVGA 2080TI for $3199au ($2295). Ouch.
    The same card from Amazon US (including huge shipping fee to Aus) is around $600us cheaper.
    I hate Amazon Australia, a massive rip off on everything.

I was thinking of buying a 2080TI today, but the only ones in stock at my preferred store are two Inno models and a Galax.
    Interesting... the Gigabyte Aorus Xtreme 2080 TI has 7 video outputs: 3 HDMI, 3 DisplayPort and 1 USB C.
    Sadly it only supports 5 active at once: either 3 HDMI + 1 DP + USBC or 3 DP + 1 HDMI + USBC.

Anybody tried one with the rift? We all know how sensitive the rift is to video outputs.

Cards have been going in and out of stock here in brisbane. Most higher models have an expected date of at least 30 jan. Since I'm on holidays for a month and would like to catch up on things I haven't tried since my 1080 died (maybe try the new elite stuff, etc), I don't want to wait that long.

But today I saw a Gigabyte 2080 TI Windforce OC come into stock for the first time, so I ordered it (picking it up tomorrow).
    (Oh, and it's already out of stock again. I hope my order was accepted in time)
    Gigabyte recently released an updated bios for the Windforce OC that lets it boost to the same speeds as the Gigabyte 2080 TI Gaming can do. It's not the cheapest (those are the Inno and Galax cards) but it's hundreds cheaper than the others with slightly higher default overclock (that also aren't in stock).

Of course any of these 2080 TI cards are dependent on the silicon lottery.

I'm running on a Gigabyte Windforce 980 right now, fine card.
    Well, that didn't go so well.

I went to Umart today to pick up my Gigabyte Windforce OC. Paid the money and got the card.
    (Huge number of people in there, long wait and no air con. Today in brisbane was 34 degrees)

As I got back to the car, I noticed the box didn't say OC anywhere. I googled for a box pic. Damn it, they gave me a Windforce ($130 cheaper) but charged me for a Windforce OC. I went back in.
    Turns out they didn't have any OC models afterall, it was mis-stocked. They might have some late january.
    So I got a refund and went home empty handed.

kojack said:
    Well, that didn't go so well.

I went to Umart today to pick up my Gigabyte Windforce OC. Paid the money and got the card.
    (Huge number of people in there, long wait and no air con. Today in brisbane was 34 degrees)

As I got back to the car, I noticed the box didn't say OC anywhere. I googled for a box pic. Damn it, they gave me a Windforce ($130 cheaper) but charged me for a Windforce OC. I went back in.
    Turns out they didn't have any OC models afterall, it was mis-stocked. They might have some late january.
    So I got a refund and went home empty handed.

It's a sign from the Gods, they think you should wait a little longer  :) - then again, upgrading from a 980 to a 2080 Ti should be perfect. Not sure the OC is worth the wait - maybe you did get a silicon lottery winner and got it refunded  :o  ;)

edited December 2018
    I won't get my Geforce 2080Ti for about 3 years. I plan to buy it when it's £500, so I could be waiting more then 3 years..
    RuneSR2 said:

Not sure the OC is worth the wait - maybe you did get a silicon lottery winner and got it refunded  :o  ;)
    Since the gpus are binned, the non OC model is not likely to hit the same levels as the OC card.
    Plus, the improved BIOS that removes the power limits is only for the OC models (Gaming OC and Windforce OC). The card they gave me today has no new BIOS so its boost speed is still far more limited.

For the life of me I do not understand this = https://www.overclockers.co.uk/msi-geforce-rtx-2080-ti-gaming-x-trio-11264mb-gddr6-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-34e-ms.html

£1499 but when i preordered mine back in august/September i was charged £1059. Does anyone know why the price Increase ????
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

edited December 2018
    Techy111 said:
    For the life of me I do not understand this = https://www.overclockers.co.uk/msi-geforce-rtx-2080-ti-gaming-x-trio-11264mb-gddr6-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-34e-ms.html

£1499 but when i preordered mine back in august/September i was charged £1059. Does anyone know why the price Increase ????

No idea, but it looks like I'll be waiting 5 years to get mine for £500 if the price increased by that amount. I thought I'd be well in to my 70's before I saw Geforce Ti graphics cards at that price and I'm only in my 40's. I'll probably be looking at £5000 for a Geforce Ti, when I reach my 70's..
    Lmao @RedRizla You could use your pension money instead of heating mate ;) I'm glad I got mine when I did but now I think I need to get a new mobo and the latest Intel's. Ain't frigging cheap our hobby is it lol

edited December 2018
    @Techy111 - I'm a tight sod. Currently my only source of heating is a duvet rapped around me. Guess it will have to be my other choice of saving, which consists of Chips Beans and Egg 5 days a week. Added to that some sausages 2 days a week as a treat..
    God I love sausage egg chips and beans mate !!! But my missus and kids don't :(

• meshiyat-12meshiyat-12 Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    nalex66 said:
    Wow, just got a look at some Canadian  prices (NewEgg has pre-orders for AIB versions; I haven't seen any FE versions in Canadian dollars).

Ti versions are between $1600 and $1750. No 2070 listed yet.

I think I'll wait and see how the reviews and real-world benchmarks look. At these prices, I'll most likely stick with my 1080 for a while, which cost me $849 CAD two years ago.

I have it in my basket but i am wondering if i will get buyers remorse in 2 months time. We need the 2080 vanilla benchmarks desperately imo.

• parsecnparsecn Posts: 40
    Brain Burst
    @kojack and other Aussies, I jumped on the ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 2080 a few weeks ago via B&H Photo (NYC). It was delivered in 4 days via DHL (to Melbs), all in at something like $1005AUD with a free copy of BattlefieldV. Scorptec have a Christmas sale same card/game offer at $1299AUD. meh. I upgraded from a 1050ti and the jump to 2080 is enormous. Loving replay atm of The Climb, Lone Echo etc. with highest settings, SS1.7 and buttery crisp gameplay.

I just checked Umart, the MSI Gaming X Trio 2080 TI has just come in stock and costs the same as the Windforce.
    I've read bad things about the gigabyte cooler on the Windforce OC and Gaming OC, so I've given up on them. But MSI has been getting great reviews and is one of the fastest 2080 TI's out of the box.

So here goes attempt 2. There's no lower model of MSI 2080TI that they can accidentally give me. Although... there is a 2080 Gaming X Trio ($770 cheaper). I'm going to look VERY closely at the box.

I should know the result in about 12 hours (it's 1:37am here).

I have the MSI tri TI and it's a beast mate. Lovely bit of kit but you gonna need a bigger boat (case) ;)

Techy111 said:
    I have the MSI tri TI and it's a beast mate. Lovely bit of kit but you gonna need a bigger boat (case) ;)
    I think my Lian Li PC-Z70 case should manage. :)

I hate case decorations. I often even cover up the power light. Just a large black metal rectangle with room for heaps of hard drives.

Although... maybe you meant that literally. Well, Lian Li do make a boat PC case:

Well, I waited the entire day. The store closed 18min ago. No email saying the order was ready for pickup.
    When I ordered at 1am it was in stock. At 5am it was still in stock. At 10am the store page said it was preorder with an eta of 31 jan, and the msi seahawk ek x ($300 more, water cooled) was now in stock.

So... did they get a few in and my reservation is good but they are backlogged with orders due to being shut down over new years day (it's a VERY popular and busy store) so I'll get it tomorrow, or did they screw up the stock again and thought they had gaming x trios but really had seahawks?

I took a look at B&H. They don't have the gaming x trio in stock either, and their price (including tax and shipping) is $2,310au, compared to the $2099au local price.

Harvey Norman have the Gaming X Trio (with no markup), but they say it will take 6 weeks to deliver.

According to steam, there are more VR headsets in use than RTX 2080 + RTX 2070 combined (2080Ti is not even on the list).

According to steam, there are more VR headsets in use than RTX 2080 + RTX 2070 combined (2080Ti is not even on the list).

That isn't going make Nvidia drop their prices though. They can just keep prices the same across all their cards for the foreseeable future. I think I'm still going to be stuck with the same Geforce 1080 for the next 3 years, but that's fine for now. My worry is what GPU we will need for a decent experience when PC VR 2 arrives.. 
    edited January 6
    Edit: By spinoff of the Geforce 2080, does he mean the Geforce 2060? I want the Geforce 11 to be like a Geforce 2080Ti, minus the RTX, so we just get the performance and pay less..

https://www.extremetech.com/gaming/283013-performance-design-details-price-leak-nvidia-rtx-2060