New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Gtx1080Ti and RTX 2080Ti best price/comparison thread

Comments

• bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 4,130 Valuable Player
    kojack said:
    Found my display port to dvi adapter. Back to two monitors!
    I really need to buy a new one or two, but I'm very fussy about monitors.

Plus, in the same mess of cables as the adapter I found a 4.6m (15ft) usb2 extension cable. Where the hell did that come from? I'm sure I've never owned one that long. I wonder if it works with a rift sensor?

did you buy a 3rd sensor? if so that may be where your extension came from as mine came bundled with one
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
  • kojackkojack Posts: 5,988 Volunteer Moderator
    kojack said:

Plus, in the same mess of cables as the adapter I found a 4.6m (15ft) usb2 extension cable. Where the hell did that come from? I'm sure I've never owned one that long. I wonder if it works with a rift sensor?

did you buy a 3rd sensor? if so that may be where your extension came from as mine came bundled with one
    Yes, but that one is in use, on the sensor. :)

Now that I think about it, its most likely from my Leap Motion VR kit. I forgot that came with a long usb 2 cable.

edited February 2019
    kojack said:
    kojack said:

Yes, but that one is in use, on the sensor. :)
    Ahhhh you supplied faulty info then ;)

[quote]where the hell did that come from? I'm sure I've never owned one that long[/quote]

:p

Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
  • DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 5,457 Volunteer Moderator
    edited February 2019

So the 1660ti is out. Performance equivalent of a 1070 at £260 and 40% more efficient I believe.

I wonder what other non-RTX cards they have planned and how much their likely popularity will effect the price of their RTX cousins.

Intel 5820K [email protected], Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1903 (18363.657)
  • DNACowboyDNACowboy Posts: 180
    Art3mis
    edited March 2019
    Okay, got my 2080TI Ultra installed and it rockets. To give you some idea of the permanent, I can set DCS to: PID 2.0 and the rest to ULTRA and see 60fps all day long.
    Who is John Galt?
  • Techy111Techy111 Posts: 6,735 Volunteer Moderator
    They are beasts aren't they ;)
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

• RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,926 Valuable Player
    edited March 2019
    DNACowboy said:
    Okay, got my 2080TI Ultra installed and it rockets. To give you some idea of the permanent, I can set DCS to: PID 2.0 and the rest to ULTRA and see 60fps all day long.

Would that be in free flight or in a mission where there's lots of ai units? I suspect it's free flight because DCS uses the CPU for ai and that makes it struggle more in VR.
    What is the point of this exactly if it's crap? It won't make me pay £1000 for a Geforce 2080Ti.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/3/18/18271836/nvidia-raytracing-gtx-rtx-older-gpu-support
  • WildtWildt Posts: 2,163 Valuable Player
    edited April 2019
    Holy crap, that post was apparently so poor the forum code decided it shouldn't count as such:

PCVR: CV1 || 4 sensors || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3
    PSVR: PS4 Pro || Move Controllers || Aim controller
    WMR: HP Reverb
  • LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,774 Volunteer Moderator
    Wow, actual decent Price Drops for the 2080

Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)
    edited April 2019
    wowsers...... surely gotta have more money than sense to buy this, when you can get just as good a binned chip that will likely perform the exact same for £500 less.

NV may be taking the piss on the pricing, but Asus are no better here imo, as that kind of price for a ROG is just crazy markup.

wowsers...... surely gotta have more money than sense to buy this, when you can get just as good a binned chip that will likely perform the exact same for £500 less.

NV may be taking the piss on the pricing, but Asus are no better here imo, as that kind of price for a ROG is just crazy markup.

There was me thinking these cards would be no more then £1000, which was bad enough.

What do you mean by a binned chip? 
    edited April 2019
    RedRizla said:

There was me thinking these cards would be no more then £1000, which was bad enough.

What do you mean by a binned chip? 
    https://www.blogpoke.com/what-is-the-silicon-lottery-binning-explained/

this is the 1st time (AFAIK) that nvidia have separated off the good quality and poorer quality chips into the budget and non budget versions of the same card.   what this means is my GTX1080ti, which is a "low end" gigabyte black, runs just as well as an all singing all dancing rog model.. the only difference being cooling quality and possible power delivery and circuit board quality etc......... which i knew were decent on the low end gigabyte model i bought

where as with RTX the chances of your £950 2080ti running as well as a £1300 one are slim because the actual chip on the card is of a lesser quality.

This is good news if you are the sort to pay top dollar as you know you will get a decent chip, but bad news if like me you like to play the silicon lottery and try to get a good over clocker on a budget.
    @bigmike20vt - So not only do Nvidia charge these ridiculous prices for their Geforce 2080 Ti, but they also give you a shitty chip for £950. it's just a shame we have to rely on such a crappy company like Nvidia. I can't wait for PlayStation 5 because I might just switch to console gaming and VR.
    edited April 2019
    its not quite that simple.... NO company will destroy chips which make the grade at the advertised frequency of the card in which it is to go in.  Every single card on the market should run at advertised specs.
    the loss to the bargain hunter is the gain to the top of the range hunter.

in the past you could feasibly buy the most expensive card on the market and still lose the silicon lottery  - happened to me with my gtx 980.  it still ran at the advertised speed, but i could not overclock it 1 bit.

so glass half empty, sure, your £950 2080ti is less likely to over clock BUT glass half full your £1200 is MORE likely too

but no matter how you skin it, there is no jusification for a £1700 air cooled card imo, but that is on ASUS not NV.

PS Sony have their own issues as a company, as do Microsoft, and apple.... i bloody hate apple!.

and i know many refuse to believe it, just like some think that valve can do no wrong either.... but AMD if they had an absolute top of the range card, they would likely fleece us all. I mean, just look at radeon VII.  There is no much in it performance wise from RTX 2080... but it does not have RTX or DLSS.. but it DOES have more ram.

it uses a lot more power however and creates a lot more heat... but given if NV are all that is bad about PC gaming, what do AMD, the "good guys"  charge for this, "almost but not quite as good" rival to RTX 2080?  .... exactly the same as what NV charge for the 2080.
    I am not expecting miracles from Navi either... IF it performs as well as RTX2080 and does Ray tracing, i suspect it will cost just as much.
    joscak said:
    asasasa
    WTH?
  • RattyUKRattyUK Posts: 1,059
    Wintermute
    joscak said:
    asasasa
    WTH?
    Maybe he couldn't spell ASAP, Mike :)
    PC info: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, MSI MPG X570 Edge, 16GB Tforce Pro Dark DDR4 3200, KFA2 RTX 2080 Super, Samsung 870 Pro M.2, 2x 240GB SSD, 3TB WD Green HDD & 4 TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, Antec Modular 750w PSU, custom watercooling loop. (Win 10 Pro & Opensuse Leap 15.1 Linux) 32" AOC 4K Monitor.

Laptop: Aorus X5 V6-CF1 (I7-6820HK, GTX 1070, 2* 256GB M.2 NVME, 1TB 7200 HDD)
  • kojackkojack Posts: 5,988 Volunteer Moderator
    joscak said:
    asasasa
    WTH?
    And that was the version where he thought about it for 6 minutes then edited it!
    Banned, most likely either going to spam or test the forum for vulnerabilities.

• Jpeterson22Jpeterson22 Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    Anyone have any idea when the prices for the 2080 will get lower? A year or so?
    Anyone have any idea when the prices for the 2080 will get lower? A year or so?
    They came down a bit already esp when you consider the included game titles of a month ago. Imo we need a strong Navi that can give it a run for its money to really dent prices any time soon. Radeon VII can run it close but with no RT cores and prices the same as the 2080 there is nothing there to push prices down.
    Monopolies suck but just like in the 8800gtx era that is what we have at the sharp end at the moment.
  • toddlakestoddlakes Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    I think it is better to add some money and purchase RTX 2080 TI
    I dunno under £600 or £950 is a big difference. You can almost get a rift s with the saving and a rtx 2080 will smash it
  • LuciferousLuciferous Posts: 2,274 Valuable Player
    edited April 2019
    I normally buy from scan. What do you think of these cards?

https://www.scan.co.uk/shop/gaming/gpu/2778/2779

I have no idea how I should pick one.

Plus currently my PC is now a little dated. Bought it with the CV1, so three years old now.

So its a 780TI with an Intel 7 4790K CPU @ 4GHZ (Quad core) I have a SSD and 16GB ram.

Now I could buy a new PC with a lower graphics card spec or could I buy a 2080TI and put it in this PC? Or do the RTX use a new kind of slot?

edited April 2019
    I think there all to expensive :p

Just make sure these Graphics cards will fit in your current PC tower. Also make sure a new graphics card isn't going to cover another slot that might have things like a sound card in them or usb card.
    edited April 2019
    Yeah made my eyes water. 

My tower is very big and the current cooling fan attached is water cooled (it was an overclocked TI) and huge. Hopefully should be OK. Sound cards on board.

I see there are the cheaper black editions there but if I am honest I have never bothered over clocking my previous cards myself.

Just wondered would it be worth adding a 2080TI to this PC. Depends on the index price though I guess.

I would like to keep the whole thing headset included to sub 2000. My ideal target would be 1500.

I was thinking of maybe this one:

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/evga-geforce-rtx-2080-xc-ultra-gaming-8gb-gddr6-vr-ready-graphics-card-2944-core-1815mhz-boost

edited April 2019
    I think that pc could take a 2080 no problem at all. Not sure about the 2080ti, probably that too but have never used a GPU that high spec

My advice go for the cheapest GPU in that class you can find that is using the better binned chip. Google for which chip is on which card. My understanding is of the card runs at stock out of the box it is using a low quality chip if it has any factory overclock what so ever it is using an a rated chip but do double check.
    Ok cheers mike. I think probably go for a new pc and card. Although it’s going to cost me dear, just had to agree to my daughter and wife going on holiday to an equal amount. Ouch.
  • Techy111Techy111 Posts: 6,735 Volunteer Moderator
    @Luciferous hope that amounts to a 2080ti mate lol
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

Well there is the catch, whatever I spend now doubles the cost 😀
    edited April 2019
    I really wouldn't replace the pc yet TBH. At least get the GPU and suck it and see, it's not like you will save much by buying together and I think you may be underestimating the performance of your i7 esp with your overclock
    Your GPU is a huge bottleneck right now,