New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Gtx1080Ti and RTX 2080Ti best price/comparison thread

Comments

• LuciferousLuciferous Posts: 2,274 Valuable Player
    thanks mike, I’ll do that then. Can’t really lose anything although I need to update power to 650 minimum power supply. Think mine is 500 at moment.
  • Techy111Techy111 Posts: 6,735 Volunteer Moderator
    Give yourself some headroom, get a 750 or higher IMO mate
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

• DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 5,457 Volunteer Moderator

There were reports of a few power management issues in the early days of the 2080 & ti…. high idle values.

Has this been ironed out now? was it a driver thing?

Intel 5820K [email protected], Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1903 (18363.657)
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,926 Valuable Player
    I wonder when these cards will drop to around £700. I bet we have to wait years for that to happen.
  • bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 4,130 Valuable Player
    May be better waiting for the 2180 or what ever they call it if you are planning on waiting that long (it is what I am gonna do)
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
  • RattyUKRattyUK Posts: 1,059
    Wintermute
    @LZoltowski  - spam above, can we  'lose' it?
    PC info: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, MSI MPG X570 Edge, 16GB Tforce Pro Dark DDR4 3200, KFA2 RTX 2080 Super, Samsung 870 Pro M.2, 2x 240GB SSD, 3TB WD Green HDD & 4 TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, Antec Modular 750w PSU, custom watercooling loop. (Win 10 Pro & Opensuse Leap 15.1 Linux) 32" AOC 4K Monitor.

Laptop: Aorus X5 V6-CF1 (I7-6820HK, GTX 1070, 2* 256GB M.2 NVME, 1TB 7200 HDD)
    RattyUK said:
    @LZoltowski  - spam above, can we  'lose' it?
    Done
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

• pyroth309pyroth309 Posts: 1,576 Valuable Player
    edited May 2019
    Yea after getting an Index, I think I'm going to go for a 2080TI. Anyone know which would be the best performance wise that's air cooled as I'm not a fan of dealing with liquid systems after I had one leak on me. I'm good with anything under $1500. I've had good experience with EVGA and I'm leaning to a FTW3 but I can't find good recommendations from my usual sources. It comes with a 1755mhz boost clock. 
    So it has just been announced that Nvidia are ditching their standard "poor binned" chips. Once the old stock is filtered out of channels all should be the A rated chips.
    Hold out a month if you can even the cheap cards should use the overclockable core but without the price premium
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
    So it has just been announced that Nvidia are ditching their standard "poor binned" chips. Once the old stock is filtered out of channels all should be the A rated chips.
    Hold out a month if you can even the cheap cards should use the overclockable core but without the price premium
    Interesting, yea I don't need it until the Index gets here in June sometime. 
  • dburnedburne Posts: 3,060 Valuable Player
    edited May 2019
    pyroth309 said:
    Yea after getting an Index, I think I'm going to go for a 2080TI. Anyone know which would be the best performance wise that's air cooled as I'm not a fan of dealing with liquid systems after I had one leak on me. I'm good with anything under $1500. I've had good experience with EVGA and I'm leaning to a FTW3 but I can't find good recommendations from my usual sources. It comes with a 1755mhz boost clock. 
    Running EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra, got it in Sept/Oct of last year and love it.
    Great 3 fan cooling, but be aware need to use EVGA Precision X1 to control all three fans.

Highest temp I have seen my card run whilst gaming was 63c. And I have it overclocked some on both core and memory.
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
    pyroth309 said:
    Msi tri frozr is my 2080ti, a beast of a card and stays quiet. Fans kick in at about 65c (only 2) and the third kicks in as needed. Love the thing but it do need a full tower case.

dburne said:
    pyroth309 said:
    Great 3 fan cooling, but be aware need to use EVGA Precision X1 to control all three fans.

Highest temp I have seen my card run whilst gaming was 63c. And I have it overclocked some on both core and memory.
    Yea I might just roll with this. I'm also thinking about upgrading the rest of my system now instead of waiting. My question is currently with VR, does Ram speed really matter much for fps/performance? I'm running 16 gigs of 3000hz, is there any performance gains to be had running 4000 with a GPU that has 11 gigs of Vram? 
  • KlodsBrikKlodsBrik Posts: 1,201
    Wintermute
    pyroth309 said:
     My question is currently with VR, does Ram speed really matter much for fps/performance? I'm running 16 gigs of 3000hz, is there any performance gains to be had running 4000 with a GPU that has 11 gigs of Vram? 
    With Intel cpu's ram speeds doesn't matter that much on core performance. Where ryzen is a sucker for ram speed.

Be good, die great !
  • dburnedburne Posts: 3,060 Valuable Player
    pyroth309 said:
    dburne said:
    pyroth309 said:

Yea I might just roll with this. I'm also thinking about upgrading the rest of my system now instead of waiting. My question is currently with VR, does Ram speed really matter much for fps/performance? I'm running 16 gigs of 3000hz, is there any performance gains to be had running 4000 with a GPU that has 11 gigs of Vram? 
    Since you already have 3000 MHz ram  likely running at a lower latency, and assuming it is DDR4?  probably not much. I think you are fine with what you have as far as ram.

Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
    edited May 2019
    I'm looking at this card. Never had a problem with Gigabyte and living in the UK the returns are straight forward. But I wish these cards would all drop below £1000. Nvida pricing when these cards were announced was £999.00 not £1200 plus like we are seeing.

This Gigabyte card is one of the cheapest I've seen and they are good cards.

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/gigabyte-geforce-rtx-2080-ti-gaming-oc-11gb-gddr6-vr-ready-graphics-card-4352-core

@Techy111 - Thanks for the link. I'm going to sell a few more things and hopefully prices might have dropped even further. I've just sold my car and PS 4 to fund my next VR headset and Graphics card. It's nice cycling to work in the Summer months, but I think I'll regret getting rid of the car come Winter :D

Are you interested in buying a fitted kitchen I'm going to dismantle by any chance? Also a sofa & 2 chairs? :p  
    Overclockers were doing base models for 900 ish
    Lol not in my tiny flat, squeezed in with 2 little munchkins and the missus !!!! 

edited May 2019
    @bigmike20vt - When are the chips rumoured to be all the same? That's also while I'm holding off after seeing you post about it.

@bigmike20vt - So do you reckon that Gigabyte card I linked up above has the better chip or the one that Techy111 linked? You would think for what they charge for these cards that they would all have the better chips.
    Personally I'm not worrying, it is what it is and i have an extended warranty so I'm happy ;)

KlodsBrik said:
    pyroth309 said:
     My question is currently with VR, does Ram speed really matter much for fps/performance? I'm running 16 gigs of 3000hz, is there any performance gains to be had running 4000 with a GPU that has 11 gigs of Vram? 
    With Intel cpu's ram speeds doesn't matter that much on core performance. Where ryzen is a sucker for ram speed.

Thanks, Was just double checking. I saw in a thread somewhere that ram speed was making a big difference in fps might have been OverWatch actually. I was just double-checking that nothing has changed regarding VR. Cool I'll just keep what I got and probably go up to 32 gigs. 
    edited May 2019
    RedRizla said:

@bigmike20vt - So do you reckon that Gigabyte card I linked up above has the better chip or the one that Techy111 linked? You would think for what they charge for these cards that they would all have the better chips.

They are both A chips in those cards.

This one will likely be a non A chip (basically ones running at stock speeds)
    https://www.overclockers.co.uk/palit-geforce-rtx-2080-ti-dual-11264mb-gddr6-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-04h-pl.html
  • WildtWildt Posts: 2,163 Valuable Player
    pyroth309 said:
     I'm not a fan of dealing with liquid systems after I had one leak on me.
    What happened?
    I seriously considered going back to air after a mishap with my brand new Geforce 590 GTX (dual GPU), which literally went up in smoke. I REALLY hated myself that day, but I decided to get back in the H2O saddle straight away, and I haven't had any other accidents in the past 15+ years. 

It was a $700 dollar card which in essence ended up costing me $1400.  :grimace:
    PCVR: CV1 || 4 sensors || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3
    PSVR: PS4 Pro || Move Controllers || Aim controller
    WMR: HP Reverb
    Wildt said:
    pyroth309 said:
     I'm not a fan of dealing with liquid systems after I had one leak on me.
    What happened?
    I seriously considered going back to air after a mishap with my brand new Geforce 590 GTX (dual GPU), which literally went up in smoke. I REALLY hated myself that day, but I decided to get back in the H2O saddle straight away, and I haven't had any other accidents in the past 15+ years. 

It was a $700 dollar card which in essence ended up costing me $1400.  :grimace:
    It worked fine for like a year and then a hose broke loose, from heat I guess, and sprayed water all over my motherboard frying it while I was in a game lol. I dropped the CPU into a new motherboard and kept getting BSOD's and had to replace that too. It also made quite a mess. I'm good with air cooling since with the silicone lottery, you can get a chip that you can't push high enough to go above 70 anyway. I just stick with a beefy 3 fan design and push what I can. 
    edited May 2019
    @Techy111 - Here's something that looks great for RTX cards, it's an option in reshade. Grab it from link below if you haven't already got it.

• LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,774 Volunteer Moderator
    RedRizla said:
    @Techy111 - Here's something that looks great for RTX cards, it's an option in reshade. Grab it from link below if you haven't already got it.

This does NOT use RTX, I am a patron (the alpha is only available to patrons)  and a member of the discord channel for the alpha. It's screen space reflection ray tracing, very cool. The performance hit is pretty big, but this does run on any GPU. The developer is working on optimising.

Some example shots in GTAV I took

https://imgur.com/gallery/lPTOfV6

Shot from SKyrim :)

Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)