New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Gtx1080Ti and RTX 2080Ti best price/comparison thread

Comments

• Digikid1Digikid1 Posts: 2,054 Valuable Player
    Techy111 said:
    She didn't speak to me yesterday mate lol slowly oh so slowly coming around today, buying her a curry tonight but she says that is nowhere near enough  :/
    It never is. 

• MowTinMowTin Posts: 1,808 Valuable Player
    edited August 2018
    We should note that NVIDIA will enable DLSS in games for developers for free, if a dev just sends them their code for processing on an NVIDIA DGX supercomputer. NVIDIA will hand back that code, which is reportedly just megabytes in incremental size, and enable the feature in their driver for that game. And, as with anything AI and machine learning, the more you feed the beast, the better it gets at the task at hand moving forward, in this case with a wider swath of game engines and visuals

So games can easily enable DLSS?! Isn't that a big deal?

A supersampled game will run 2x with the new cards! Am I wrong about this? 

i7 6700k 2080ti   Rift-S, Index
  • LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,774 Volunteer Moderator
    MowTin said:
    We should note that NVIDIA will enable DLSS in games for developers for free, if a dev just sends them their code for processing on an NVIDIA DGX supercomputer. NVIDIA will hand back that code, which is reportedly just megabytes in incremental size, and enable the feature in their driver for that game. And, as with anything AI and machine learning, the more you feed the beast, the better it gets at the task at hand moving forward, in this case with a wider swath of game engines and visuals

So games can easily enable DLSS?! Isn't that a big deal?

A supersampled game will run 2x with the new cards! Am I wrong about this? 

That is a huge deal, plus you can expect every AAA game released moving forward to have this done, I mean it's free and it's extra marketing. Nvidia will be pushing this HARD.
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)
  • Digikid1Digikid1 Posts: 2,054 Valuable Player
    snowdog said:
    Pah! You just tell her to like it or lump it - you're the one wearing the trousers in the family. You need to put these women in their place mate.
    Oh really?

@vannagirl what say you?   >:)o:)
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,765 Valuable Player
    edited August 2018
  • Techy111Techy111 Posts: 6,558 Volunteer Moderator
    @RedRizla The cheapest I've seen for a 2080 is for 795 pre-order here = https://www.box.co.uk/MSI-GeForce-RTX-2080-DUKE-8G-OC-Graphics_2407147.html
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

• bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 4,083 Valuable Player
    edited August 2018
    716 at ebuyer for RTX 2080
    (Gigabyte and MSI Duke)
    Don't forget 1.5% topcashback (happy to send referal to anyone without topcashback account.

https://www.ebuyer.com/857838-gigabyte-geforce-rtx-2080-windforce-oc-8gb-graphics-card-gv-n2080wf3oc-8gc

https://www.ebuyer.com/857822-msi-geforce-rtx-2080-duke-8gb-oc-graphics-card-rtx-2080-duke-8g-oc
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
  • SkScotcheggSkScotchegg Posts: 1,269
    Wintermute
    edited August 2018
    lol, I wonder how many people are going to remortgage so they can spend £1000 on a new GPU! haha :p
    UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Rift CV1 & Rift S - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 7,148 Valuable Player
    Digikid1 said:
    snowdog said:
    Pah! You just tell her to like it or lump it - you're the one wearing the trousers in the family. You need to put these women in their place mate.
    Oh really?

@vannagirl knows who's the boss in this relationship. And it isn't her.

Now, when's my dinner going to be ready..? :p:D
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
    @Techy111 - I really believe the prices will drop in a few months. By then I'll see the benchmarks and can decide if I should get one. It would have to be the 80% faster then a Geforce 1080 or I'm not getting it. I'll then wait for the Geforce 7nm..
  • Techy111Techy111 Posts: 6,558 Volunteer Moderator
    Wait......The $1199 on the store in the U.S. is pre tax??? Wow  :o
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

• vannagirlvannagirl Posts: 2,002 Valuable Player
    snowdog said:
    Digikid1 said:
    snowdog said:
    Oh really?

@vannagirl knows who's the boss in this relationship. And it isn't her.

Now, when's my dinner going to be ready..? :p:D

Unsure what he is meaning, first last pic he posted he had no trousers on just a night dress,

also i have trousers for my uniform

Go figure!!
    Look, man. I only need to know one thing: where they are. 
    Oh.

Bugger.

:D  :D:D
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

I might be tempted to get a 2080Ti if it was 700 quid or so but won't go anywhere near paying more for that I think.

edited August 2018
    snowdog said:
    I might be tempted to get a 2080Ti if it was 700 quid or so but won't go anywhere near paying more for that I think.

I think they are going to come down in price in a few months to something like £999, but sod even paying that for one. It might be a long wait, but I'm not paying a penny more then £799 for a Geforce 2080Ti. I forgot how much I paid for the Geforce 1080, but I remember it taking me a couple of weeks to recover and a year to pay for it.. :D
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 3,901 Valuable Player
    edited August 2018
    Evileyes said:

SOLD!

Congrats  :) - For a few seconds the current 2080 Ti prices did make me hesitate purchasing Swampy, but I think Swampy has some awesome graphics - and if I set up some great lighting I might be able to trace the light rays and experience fantastic realtime shadows! Swampy will be hit by 25% VAT plus $100+ for shipping, so it'll be at least 1.1k and being 24" tall it'll be IMPOSSIBLE to hide him from the wife (and Swampy's WAF is extremely low :blush: ) - so 2080 Ti wins the highest price + ability-to-hide-it-from-the-wife battles for now  ;) But let's see in 20 years who sells for the most on eBay  :D

https://www.sideshowtoy.com/collectibles/dc-comics-swamp-thing-sideshow-collectibles-3006541/

I might get a 2080 Ti later too - I'm still waiting for reviews. 
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
  • JD-UKJD-UK Posts: 2,294 Valuable Player
    RedRizla said:
    @Techy111 - I'm thinking of putting a empty box of Corn Flakes on ebay, I've just got to finish eating the Corn Flakes first. I'm going to start the bidding at 25p, but I'm open to offers..
    Will it have a driving licence in it?

I'm sure that's where most people round here get theirs.

Wintermute
    Howcome everyone talks about going for 2080 TI at £1200?

Whats wrong with just going for a 2080 for £750? 

Seems to me that people just want to buy the ti just because they can but what is wrong with just going for a 2080 for half the price? Surely the 2080 is still an amazing card? They said it can do 4k and future proof for VR etc? That's the card I'm planning on buying. Why would you want or need better then a 2080?
    UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Rift CV1 & Rift S - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!
    edited August 2018
    the 2080 may be a great card... but my worries with it (no one can be certain of anything at this point)

my worry with it is that if NOT using tensor cores it is looking to be slower than a 1080ti (it has less cuda cores so this is not a crazy prediction)

OTOH for RTX tombraider was running at around 50fps, dropping to the 40s and that was with a 2080ti @1080p .... the BF5 devs are *targetting* 60fps 1080p with RTX on.. .presumably again with a 2080ti.

the RTX2080 may well be a great card, but without tensor cores support  in games i doubt it will be quicker than a 1080ti (its "only" £85 dearer so that may not worry you).... and also the jury is still out on whether it will be fast enough for Ray Tracing

All that said i typed this all out and notice you asked this in the price comparison thread!.... you should prolly of asked in the other one. 

(PS back on track  if you are going to pre-order one, the MSI  "Duke" looks pretty good at £715, gigabyte also have one at that price... better than paying £750 imo)
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
  • DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 5,262 Volunteer Moderator

I guess it depends what card they have now. People just want to have a really noticeable improvement. Sometimes it feels better to have a 30% improvement for £1200 than a 15% improvement for £750.

I want a Ti but I’ll wait for prices to fall to MSRP levels (hopefully)

Intel 5820K [email protected], Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1903 (18363.476)
    Wintermute
    Yeah true, I get your points. I currently have a 1060 so I feel like jumping to 2080 will be a massive increase. And yeah £715 sounds decent.
  • JD-UKJD-UK Posts: 2,294 Valuable Player
    I would never spend £750 on a card. I would never spend £500 on a card. Even if I had the cash to throw away. There's a limit to how much I will allow companies to overcharge me, and I won't let them rip me off by that much.

I don't care how much research or technology has gone into it (that will likely be bugger-all use to me in any case). These cards could be a lot cheaper, but as long as the sheep of the world keep paying these silly prices, they won't come down.

• Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 3,835 Valuable Player
    Already have a 1080ti so moving up to the 2080 is not really an option for me.

System Specs: RTX 2080 ti , i9 9900K CPU, 16 GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.
    Already have a 1080ti so moving up to the 2080 is not really an option for me.
    your money etc etc but i personally would not even contemplate upgrading if i had a 1080ti!... that card should easily be good enough to see you through to the next gen imo, by which point there should be a lot more games out there supporting ray tracing.... and hopefully the new cards will have matured such that you wont have to compromise your resolution so much to run it.

imo it is the people with the maxwell generation / or low end pascal looking to go up the ladder who will benefit from the new cards.
    as i said, to each their own however..... 
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 5,019 Volunteer Moderator
    Yeah, these prices are really damping my enthusiasm. I have no doubt that ray tracing will eventually be too enticing not to have an RTX card, but I'm not sure that the performance (or the uptake from developers) will be there in the first generation of RTX.

In 2014 I paid $650 CAD for a GTX980, which was the most I'd ever spent on a GPU (also my first "8" level card since the 8800GTX). Less than two years later I paid $850 CAD for a GTX1080 (I sold my 980 for $400, so that softened the blow). Now another two years on, I'm having trouble justifying another $270 price increase for a single-gen upgrade to the RTX2080 (never mind the RTX2080Ti, which is double the price of my 1080).

Currently my 1080 handles everything I play, so I'm going to either wait until better prices come about, or perhaps I'll wait until the next gen to get an RTX. When CV2 comes along, depending on its requirements, that may influence my decision, but I suspect that the 1080 will still be plenty powerful for it.
    i7 5820K @ 4.25 GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32 GB | Corsair HX 750W
    Corsair Hydro H100i | Samsung SSDs: 860 Evo 1 TB, 850 Evo 1 TB, 840 Evo 1 TB | Seagate BarraCuda HDD 3 TB
  • Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 3,835 Valuable Player
    I am striving for [email protected] fps with high - max settings and the 1080ti just falls short in a number of games. I am hoping the 2080 Ti can manage it or at least can come close. Maybe I will be disappointed, maybe not. We shall see. Like I said, I expect at least a 30% improvement over the 1080ti which follows the track record of new Nvidia cards. The upgrade performance gain from the 1080 to the 1080 ti was ~ 30%. If the 2080 is 6% better than the 1080, then the 2080 Ti being 30% better than the 1080ti is not a far fetched desire.

System Specs: RTX 2080 ti , i9 9900K CPU, 16 GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.