New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Gtx1080Ti and RTX 2080Ti best price/comparison thread

Comments

• snowdogsnowdog Posts: 7,228 Valuable Player
    RuneSR2 said:
    RedRizla said:
    I'm starting to wonder if the Geforce 7nm are going to be $2000, with the prices the way they are..

Exactly - Volta cards did even go higher, but it's not for gamers. Last evening using the CV1 I couldn't help thinking that my oc'ed 1080 was a nice match for the quality I'm experiencing in current VR games - that is, the CV1 resolution is limited, there're god rays and if you look for it the SDE is quite noticeable - and not to forget the grey fog (spud - lack of true OLED blacks). I couldn't help thinking that - unless some awesome VR game arrives soon - maybe it's better to wait for the CV2 and then consider what hardware I'll need to run the CV2 optimally. If we're going beyond 2k, I'd like a more high-res HMD with close to no SDE - and not just a new shiny turbo-motor to drive the old car... 

I reckon we'll both be fine with our 1080s for what I believe will be the 4K CV2 with 140degrees FOV thanks to eye tracking and dynamic foveated rendering.

In a weird way though I'm hoping we'll only see 2K because otherwise Oculus won't have any worthwhile competition which is going to be bad news for VR in general. I can't see anyone with any sense buying a competitor's headset unless they have a SERIOUS problem with Zuckerberg and Facebook.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,831 Valuable Player
    @snowdog - I'll take 4K and arses to the rest of the competition..
    Yup. Me too tbh lol

I think they'll need to go 4K because HTC, assuming they're still in business by then, will probably be releasing their own 4K headset in 2020.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

• JD-UKJD-UK Posts: 2,320 Valuable Player
    I think they will be trying to keep their current user base into CV2 (of course). Which means they have to consider not just what they want to charge for the CV2, but how much it's going to cost people to buy the necessary hardware to run it, as opposed to the CV1. That could affect which resolution they go for in CV2.

I don't think it will just be "lets use the largest res screens we can".

Brixmis said:
    I think they will be trying to keep their current user base into CV2 (of course). Which means they have to consider not just what they want to charge for the CV2, but how much it's going to cost people to buy the necessary hardware to run it, as opposed to the CV1. That could affect which resolution they go for in CV2.

I don't think it will just be "lets use the largest res screens we can".

Yup, but this is where the eye tracking and dynamic foveated rendering come into play. We'll probably see the current Recommended Spec VR Ready PC being the new Minimum Spec VR Ready PC.

• LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,774 Volunteer Moderator
    edited August 2018
    An Nvidia Engineer said in an interview to expect 35-40% over the previous gen. (for games that do not take advantage of the RT or Tensor cores) so a 2080 vs 1080 will be 35-40% ... there might be a larger gap between 1080ti and 2080ti as the CUDA core increase delta is higher.
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)
    Yup, that's pretty standard between generations if I'm remembering correctly.

Not sure if that's enough to warrant me getting a 2080 tbh, I might wait until the 2180 is released before I upgrade again...assuming that's going to be the new naming convention. They went from 10s to 20s because of the new RTX technology I think so unless they add something else new we should be seeing 21 cards next generation I think.

• LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,774 Volunteer Moderator
    edited August 2018
    snowdog said:
    Yup, that's pretty standard between generations if I'm remembering correctly.

Not sure if that's enough to warrant me getting a 2080 tbh, I might wait until the 2180 is released before I upgrade again...assuming that's going to be the new naming convention. They went from 10s to 20s because of the new RTX technology I think so unless they add something else new we should be seeing 21 cards next generation I think.
    Although yeah that is pretty typical, the price $ to fps ratio this time around is one of the worst around, if you consider just "classic" games, the ones that do not take advantage of the new tech.

And in here lies the issue, do we just want more CUDA cores for ever, until we start hitting a ceiling? Or are we happy with the fact that for things to move forward, things have to change and we need to accept the fact that this generation of cards is a new type of tech, normal game gains will be less, but it opens up the door for higher quality and higher performance down the road.

It's a bit like when multithreading and multi-core CPU's started to appear ... it took a bit of time for developers to start utilising extra cores on the CPU, but eventually it lead to faster applications. Actually many games just a few years ago only ever used 1 core on the CPU, untill multicore rigs came down in price. and adoption became widespread. Battlefield 5 now wants 6 cores! :)
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)
  • MowTinMowTin Posts: 1,828 Valuable Player
    LZoltowski said:

It's a bit like when multithreading and multi-core CPU's started to appear ... it took a bit of time for developers to start utilising extra cores on the CPU, but eventually it lead to faster applications. Actually many games just a few years ago only ever used 1 core on the CPU, untill multicore rigs came down in price. and adoption became widespread. Battlefield 5 now wants 6 cores! :)
    Good point. I remember people complaining that the new multi-core cpus were slower in games than the sing cores. 

I also remember when DX10 came out. It killed frame rates and it seemed to add very little visual improvement. 
    i7 6700k 2080ti   Rift-S, Index
  • MowTinMowTin Posts: 1,828 Valuable Player
    I saw this somewhere, pretty accurate when my partner sees the bill

Jurassic World Evolution crack meme
    Buy her a Louis Vuitton bag. 
    i7 6700k 2080ti   Rift-S, Index
  • bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 4,102 Valuable Player
    MowTin said:
    LZoltowski said:

Good point. I remember people complaining that the new multi-core cpus were slower in games than the sing cores. 

I also remember when DX10 came out. It killed frame rates and it seemed to add very little visual improvement. 
    That is all well and good. I agree this kind of innovation is good for the future and it may be the holy grail for the film industry etc. 
    But it still does not mean this is not a generation gamers can skip now and wait for the next card if they already have a 1080ti for instance.
    With hindsite I skipped the wrong generation.the 1080ti at launch was a fab purchase.
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
    edited September 2018
     I think you can skip this generation and wait for the Geforce 7nm. Games will not have full RTX for sometime and by the time they do you will need to have better performing cards then the Geforce 2080Ti, by the looks of things. Yes some games will have some RTX in them, but not full RTX like we will see in a few years times. By that time Nvidia might not be charging silly prices, but I think the £1000 Ti price is here to stay I'm afraid. At-least I'll be getting a much more powerful card though in the Geforce 7nm..
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 4,268 Valuable Player
    edited September 2018
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
    edited September 2018
    I always buy Gigabyte cards and that looks like my Geforce G1 Gaming 1080 card. I used to have a problem with cards fitting my Pc, but since I purchased this huge gaming tower, I'll never have that problem again..
  • Digikid1Digikid1 Posts: 2,072 Valuable Player
    No offence but I was let to believe that this is a price comparison topic.  Not seeing a lot of links to stores. 
  • DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 5,383 Volunteer Moderator

Yep, there's a megathread for everything non-price related, this thread was really meant as a quick reference to best prices hopefully with links included.

There's not likely to be much movement on price for a little while so in the mean time, try and keep those non-price posts to the megathread, thanks all.

Intel 5820K [email protected], Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1903 (18363.592)
  • TunagoblinTunagoblin Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    edited September 2018
    Prices in Japan... insane.

RTX2080ti = ¥398800
    ($3590 US Dollars)
    https://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/aw/s/ref=a9_sc_1?rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Artx+2080+ti+11gb&keywords=rtx+2080+ti+11gb&ie=UTF8&qid=1535942478

RTX2080 = ¥125000-¥200000 
    ($1125-1700 US Dollars)
    https://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/aw/s/ref=sr_qz_back?sf=qz%2Crba&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Artx+2080+8gb&keywords=rtx+2080+8gb&unfiltered=1&ie=UTF8&qid=1535942620

GTX1080ti = ¥90000-¥106000
    ($810-950 US Dollars)
    https://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/aw/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?k=gtx+1080ti+11gb

and there is no option to buy straight from Nvidia. They just put amazon links on their website. I guess we could order it from US Nvidia but with no warranty.
    No thank you.
  • DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 5,383 Volunteer Moderator
    Cripes, the last time I checked Nvidia's Japanese site, it wasn't listing prices for the RTX cards at all, maybe they're not taking orders from Japan yet? Would go some way to explaining those amazon prices.
    Intel 5820K [email protected], Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1903 (18363.592)
  • WildtWildt Posts: 2,141 Valuable Player
    Has anyone pre-ordered one of these bad boys?
    PCVR: CV1 || 4 sensors || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3
    PSVR: PS4 Pro || Move Controllers || Aim controller
    WMR: HP Reverb
  • bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 4,102 Valuable Player
    MSI 1080ti gaming edition for £599 with desiring and 2 dlcs from overclockers.co.uk.
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
  • Techy111Techy111 Posts: 6,735 Volunteer Moderator
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

• OmegaM4NOmegaM4N Posts: 630
    Neo
    edited September 2018
    Hahahahahah.......Hahahahhhahahaha.....Hhahahahahahah..........good one Nvida, now tell us the real prices. lol

I have a GTX1080 mini myself that i grabbed for £470, and i only paid that because i got £120 cash for my Asus 970, bring the 1080 down to £350 in actual cash, so unless Ray Charles cames with one of these cards and moves lights about my room while i am gaming i won't be touch these cards, you silly Nivda, it's a hobby, not a morgage down payment. lol
  • CongratulationsCongratulations Posts: 117
    Art3mis
    I can imagine RTX 2070 will only get basic real-time ray tracing and to get full detail real-time ray tracing you will need RTX 2080ti I can imagine, so I’ll wait till it’s cheaper.
    edited September 2018
    OmegaM4N said:
    Hahahahahah.......Hahahahhhahahaha.....Hhahahahahahah..........good one Nvida, now tell us the real prices. lol

I have a GTX1080 mini myself that i grabbed for £470, and i only paid that because i got £120 cash for my Asus 970, bring the 1080 down to £350 in actual cash, so unless Ray Charles cames with one of these cards and moves lights about my room while i am gaming i won't be touch these cards, you silly Nivda, it's a hobby, not a morgage down payment. lol

While I do find your post funny, I'm actually sad that Nvidia isn't helping PC gamers with these ridiculous prices. I've always been a bit upset when I've had to spend £699 on a Graphics Card, but now it's £1000 plus, I just can't bring myself to pay that amount of money. I couldn't give a shite if this card had even more then just RTX, at £1000 it's just become to expensive for a lot of PC gamers..
  • EvileyesEvileyes Posts: 351
    Trinity
    OmegaM4N said:

i7 X5960 @ 4200Mhz, 16GB ram, EVGA 2080 ti FTW
    Need a Tesla? Here is a free 1000 miles in supercharging!
    https://ts.la/mark56706
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 4,268 Valuable Player
    edited September 2018
    RedRizla said:
    OmegaM4N said:

While I do find your post funny, I'm actually sad that Nvidia isn't helping PC gamers with these ridiculous prices. I've always been a bit upset when I've had to spend £699 on a Graphics Card, but now it's £1000 plus, I just can't bring myself to pay that amount of money. I couldn't give a shite if this card had even more then just RTX, at £1000 it's just become to expensive for a lot of PC gamers..

Also, Oculus has been fighting the idea that VR is for high-end PC enthusiast only. The 2080 prices and the soon to be expected comments from 2080 Ti owners like "now I can finally run my VR games smoothly" will probably not make things better... Most of my friends are using 1050 Ti and 1060, they wouldn't even spend $500 on a video card. I do hope 1080 (Ti) prices will come down - that's probably what's important to increase VR adoption. Or maybe it's worth waiting for 7nm and hope that the Alliance can challenge the Empire just a bit ;-)  
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
    @RuneSR2 - Lets just hope CV2 has foveated Rendering, because Nvidia isn't doing Oculus VR any favours with their pricing that's for sure..
  • KlodsBrikKlodsBrik Posts: 1,201
    Wintermute
    well with the 20xx release and the cryptocrazyness the 10xx will and is getting cheaper opening the doors for more users being able to afford highend VR.
     The next couple of months are gonna be exciting for HMD sales i believe.
    Be good, die great !