Gtx1080Ti and RTX 2080Ti best price/comparison thread - Page 6 — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Gtx1080Ti and RTX 2080Ti best price/comparison thread

Comments

• RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 3,377 Valuable Player
    screw it you only live once
    from AWD-IT  (dont forget topcashback)
    Product Quantity Unit price Tax Subtotal
    Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Windforce OC 11GB GDDR6 PCI-Express VR Graphics Card

CODE: 780-C2A-234

1 £899.16 £179.83 £1,078.99 
    Subtotal:  £1,078.99
    Taxes:   
    VAT 20% (897519948):  £179.83
    Shipping cost:  £0.00

That's probably the card I'd choose too, congrats! - and I'm greatly looking forward to your review including fan noise ;)
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
  • Hiro_Protag0nistHiro_Protag0nist Posts: 4,804 Valuable Player
    RedRizla said:
    screw it you only live once
    from AWD-IT  (dont forget topcashback)
    Product Quantity Unit price Tax Subtotal
    Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Windforce OC 11GB GDDR6 PCI-Express VR Graphics Card

CODE: 780-C2A-234

1 £899.16 £179.83 £1,078.99 
    Subtotal:  £1,078.99
    Taxes:   
    VAT 20% (897519948):  £179.83
    Shipping cost:  £0.00

You might only live once, but I don't think I could get used to Beans on Toast for dinner & Egg and Chips for tea for over a year..

Stop it, you're confusing the Americans.  They think our diet is shite as it is!

• RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,667 Valuable Player
    edited September 2018
    Pay £200 more and you get a dual OC Geforce 2080Ti for £1,349.99? Does this mean it's just overclocked that bit more lol?

https://www.ebuyer.com/858152-asus-geforce-rtx-2080ti-gaming-oc-11gb-graphics-card-at-ebuyer-dual-rtx2080ti-o11g

• DevilstowerDevilstower Posts: 94
    Hiro Protagonist
    Got my 2080 and swapped it out my aging 970. However, I can't tell you how great it is yet, as my monitor only has HDMI and the USB-C to HDMI adapter I had doesn't seem to work either for the monitor or the Rift. So until I get a DP to HDMI cable that supports the monitor to free up the HDMI port, I'm stuck.
  • bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 4,064 Valuable Player
    RedRizla said:
    Pay £200 more and you get a dual OC Geforce 2080Ti for £1,349.99? Does this mean it's just overclocked that bit more lol?

https://www.ebuyer.com/858152-asus-geforce-rtx-2080ti-gaming-oc-11gb-graphics-card-at-ebuyer-dual-rtx2080ti-o11g

No thanks that card along with the one I got was 1050 on announcement date. The price gouging on that Asus is terrible as it ISNT one of the "premium" cards (like say the MSI Tri gaming X for instance 
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
  • Hiro_Protag0nistHiro_Protag0nist Posts: 4,804 Valuable Player
    Techy111 said:
    Yeah the Mercans are more used to a lighter breakfast.

Mental, absolutely mental. 

Here you go, fixed it for you:

edited September 2018
    Got my 2080 and swapped it out my aging 970. However, I can't tell you how great it is yet, as my monitor only has HDMI and the USB-C to HDMI adapter I had doesn't seem to work either for the monitor or the Rift. So until I get a DP to HDMI cable that supports the monitor to free up the HDMI port, I'm stuck.

Does it only have one Hdmi port on these cards? Has the Dvi port also been removed because I need that for my 3D projector?
  • bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 4,064 Valuable Player
    RedRizla said:

Does it only have one Hdmi port on these cards? Has the Dvi port also been removed because I need that for my 3D projector?

Yep 1 hdmi 1 NV link and 3 display ports . Founders cards come with a display port to DVI adapter but 3rd party ones don't from what I can see. I ordered one from gearbest for £2.60 delivered. Hope it works
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
  • DevilstowerDevilstower Posts: 94
    Hiro Protagonist
    One HDMI, one USB-C, and a stack of DP. Since I saved $100 by going with the Gigabyte Windforce OC (which was the cheapest 2080 I could find)., I don't get a DP to DVI adapter. So until I lay my hands on an adapter, my Rift is sitting quiet.
    edited September 2018
    One HDMI, one USB-C, and a stack of DP. Since I saved $100 by going with the Gigabyte Windforce OC (which was the cheapest 2080 I could find)., I don't get a DP to DVI adapter. So until I lay my hands on an adapter, my Rift is sitting quiet.

Good luck with trying to get your CV1 working with the DP, I tried every adaptor there is and mine refuses to work with the DP. I know other people can get it to work with that port, but I'm just saying my CV1 won't work with it for some reason. I just get a blank display..
  • oldgamergazzaoldgamergazza Posts: 65
    Hiro Protagonist
    Why not get a DP converter for the PC and plug the CV1 into the HDMI?
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 3,377 Valuable Player
    That's actually what I'm doing, I've never experienced any problems.  
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
    edited September 2018

That's what I did the CV1 doesn't have a DP connector, it has to be converted to Hdmi..
  • LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,774 Volunteer Moderator
    RedRizla said:

That's what I did the CV1 doesn't have a DP connector, it has to be converted to Hdmi..
    I think they mean your rift plugged into HDMI and your monitor into a DP via dongle, that way you dont have to get an expensive dongle too.
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)
  • MowTinMowTin Posts: 1,707 Valuable Player
    edited September 2018
    I was looking at the new iPhones. People paying $1000 for what? It makes the 2080 ti seem reasonably priced. 

I remember back in the day when paying $300 for a phone was considered a lot. Now it's $1000?! I guess that's why that video cards are $1,000 too. The global economy is good. People have more money.  

And the issue of an upgrade not getting you much bang for your buck is there with the iphones too. I still have no reason to upgrade my 6s plus. 
    i7 6700k 2080ti   Rift-S, Index
  • MradrMradr Posts: 3,504 Valuable Player
    edited September 2018
    I don't think people are butt hurt over the price for say - but that fact that the cost of getting the highest end card keeps creeping up. Lots of people felt like NV wouldn't do that and with the largest market share - they had no reason in doing so. Most people gave it a past last release because they saw larger gains from the die shrink and thought it was worth the value of the extra cost. Instead - with this release - they're not seeing either of that because of the fact it's still on the same shrink and the increase of die size costing more for little gain in performance.

On the flip side - I really don't understand people's reasoning for the bashing for say - saying performance is all that matters - when reality - it's not about performance but the quality of game play/eye candy. Other wise, we still be on simple PS1 gaming graphics for 3d. RTX is allowing for that higher quality of eye candy in the long term once we figure out the best rendering methods. Plus anything to automate programming goes a long way in terms of what we get in return. Stuff like lighting, particle effects, and AI takes a large amount of time that can now be shifted to hardware to do the work. That is amazing when you consider the design time it takes to get all that working right.

I like both NV and AMD - but AMD did drop the ball this time around and I think NV didn't know what to do so they release hardware now to support features later on in the future. This makes sense in the long haul even if people are getting a bit butt hurt over a card I don't think they were getting either way xD Most people usually go for the 1070s or 2070s cards - not the 2080s or 2080tis. IF performance is your only goal - then that means performance per dollar is your key factor here. You are better off looking at last gen for the best bank for the buck meaning price wise you are getting more performance going for a used or new 1080 or 1080ti than looking at the 2070 cards.

In the future though - we're getting to the laws of physics - no longer are we going to see cheaper performance gains from shrinks or money saving cost. Even if we focus on just features sets to improve performance - that's still going to cost more than what shrinks gave us in both directions.  At some point - GPUs and CPUs are going to have to increase their cost and value as we near the limits of how far we can go. I think in 20 years - it will not be unheard of for both of these chips to be in the upper 1k$ anyways. Hell - smartphones are going to see that as well as they have became mini computers on their own - some reaching laptop performance already. Even then - who really needs laptop performance on a cell phone unless we can take advantage of it I guess. Then again - most of their money is being poured into battery technology as their only hope to get out of having to increase phone size. It's already starting to get hard for them to get anymore performance out of their chips with in the same power request.
  • LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,774 Volunteer Moderator
    Prices for the 2080Ti are creeping up fast, this was £1049.00 a week ago. WHat in the hell is going on?

Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)
    edited September 2018
    Prices for the 2080Ti are creeping up fast, this was £1049.00 a week ago. WHat in the hell is going on?
    Supply and demand ~
  • Techy111Techy111 Posts: 6,412 Volunteer Moderator
    Yup the ti I ordered has an extra 100 on it.
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

edited September 2018
    Mradr said:
    I don't think people are butt hurt over the price for say - but that fact that the cost of getting the highest end card keeps creeping up. 

I don't think people would have a problem with the Geforce ti cards creeping up in price, but they've virtually doubled in price since the last Geforce ti cards :D
    edited September 2018
    RedRizla said:
    Mradr said:
    I don't think people are butt hurt over the price for say - but that fact that the cost of getting the highest end card keeps creeping up. 

I don't think people would have a problem with the Geforce ti cards creeping up, but they've virtually doubled in price since the last Geforce ti cards :D
    People cried when the 1080 ti was price higher than the 980ti even though it had a big leap in performance and price was less than 100$ difference. Agree but there is a difference here than performance alone as I said above too - it's not just about performance, but render pipe lines - otherwise - why are we not focus on PS1 style of game reaching 1k+ fps instead of trying to make games pretty. At some point there needs to be a balance between the two - not justifying their cost - just that there is more than just performance we need to look at when we say stuff like that xD Plus - why do you "need" a card like that in the first place? 1080ti pretty much controls current games already at 4k with 60 FPS with mid to high range settings that only the top of the line AAA games produce. What is a 2080ti really going to net you that a 1080ti can't already do (let's say it was price at reasonable price) at lesser price (the 1080ti would be 200$ cheaper)?
    edited September 2018
    Mradr said:
    RedRizla said:
    Mradr said:

I don't think people would have a problem with the Geforce ti cards creeping up, but they've virtually doubled in price since the last Geforce ti cards :D
    People cried when the 1080 ti was price higher than the 980ti even though it had a big leap in performance and price hike was less than 100$. In the end - it's price creep people don't want to see than it is price hikes. Then again -  what's the difference here xD?

I never cried when I purchased a Geforce 1080 for the same price a Geforce ti was at launch. I expect prices to rise each year for goods, but I don't expect them to virtually double in price. I'm crying now because I've always been a PC gamer and can't afford £1100 plus for a Graphics cards. Pc gaming is going to be an expensive hobby at this rate, so yes I'm crying into my pillow every night :'( :D
  • LuluViBritanniaLuluViBritannia Posts: 464
    Trinity
    I see a lot of people complaining about the price of these new cards, but none of them seem to realize that dissuading them was kind of the point.
    Remember that they still have the previous generation in stock. They want to sell it out, but they can't just drop the price as it would probably become non-profitable at some point. So instead of dropping the price of the 10s cards, they give a huge price to the 20s, thus dissuading a lot of people from buying those. Then, all these people they dissuaded, what will they do? They'll look into the 10 cards.
    That's a typical reaction : you wait for a tech, it comes out too expensive, so you say "oh, well, I'll take the cheaper version".
    (That's actually what I did with Oculus back in 2016 : the CV1 was too expensive for me, so I bought the DK2 instead.)

That's why NVidia declared that they would keep selling the 10s along with the 20s. Once the 10s stock is emptied out, the price of the 20s will drop, that's for sure. The priority for NVidia, right now, is to sell out the 10s cards.
    Current VR results imo:
    - Great small apps. Great ports of bigger games.
    - Great VR-specific features. Not enough showcased!!!
    - Too many actors in the industry, the market is totally broken.

My hopes for VR next gen:

- Better ratio between visual quality and power needs. No more godrays and less SDE.
    - Full Body Tracking.

"If you don't mind, do you want me to take you there? Where dreams come true."
    @LuluViBritannia - So why didn't they do this type of pricing with Geforce 980 and Geforce 1080? Why didn't they double the Geforce 1080's price to get rid of the Geforce 980..etc?
    Trinity
    As I recall they didn't have that much stock for the 980. Besides they didn't go through a crisis like the cryptocurrency stuff (that really bricked the GPU market).
    Current VR results imo:

- Better ratio between visual quality and power needs. No more godrays and less SDE.
    - Full Body Tracking.

edited September 2018
    @LuluViBritannia - Then why didn't they limit the stock of the Geforce 1080 like they did with the Geforce 980? Is this just your opinion or do you know this for certain?

Edit: If this is true then they better start dropping the prices of the Geforce 1080Ti because performance wise it's equal to a Geforce 2080. Who in there right mind is going to purchase a Geforce 1080Ti, when it only slightly less money then a Geforce 2080 and you get RTX with a 2080?
    Trinity
    edited September 2018
    What do you mean? They didn't limit the stock of the 980, they just didn't have one that big in the first place ^^'.
    What I mean is this: the sales of the 9s went smoother, because the cryptocurrency issue didn't occur at their selling time.
    Back in the days of the 980, they didn't come across any hurdle, so NVidia didn't get caught off-guard. But the cryptocurrency issue was a problem that NVidia did not foresee, and this is what caused their stock to grow that big, that's what they stated themselves.

As for your question: it is my opinion, based on the facts (= the current state of the GPU market + the words of NVidia). I may be wrong, but I'm pretty confident in my product management knowledge, so if I were to give a number, I would say I am 95% sure ^^.
    Basically:
    I base my words on these facts:
    - NVidia guys themselves said their stocks were bigger than foreseen.
    - The cryptocurrency crisis is what caught them off-guard, again from their own words.
    - NVidia has to sell out the 10s generation (duh).
    - If the 20s had a decent price, everybody would get these instead of what's left of the 10s and thus, the stock wouldn't be emptied out.

My own asumptions:
    - if they just dropped the price of the 10s, they would reach a non-profitable point. NVidia didn't state that themselves, but it's just logic: for every product, there is a minimal cost. You can't just do a 90% drop in price! They can drop the price a little, but they can't do it at their will. Besides, it's more effective (and more profitable) to give high prices to the next gen instead.

EDIT : Here is a link to justify what I say:
    https://www.ccn.com/cryptocurrency-mining-affects-amd-stock-while-nvidia-overestimates-gpu-demand/

NVidia overestimated the demand in GPU during the cryptocurrency issue, which is why they have a big stock.
    Current VR results imo:

- Full Body Tracking.

@LuluViBritannia - Well thanks for the info, because it just makes me not want to get any of these Nvidia cards even more if that's Nvida's trick to sell their cards. I thought the price hike was due to these cards been really special, but if what you say is correct then it's not.
    Trinity
    edited September 2018
    @RedRizia : You do whatever you want, but bear in mind that it isn't a strategy made-in NVidia. In fact, it's basic product management story ^^'. You have to control the supply and demand, and raising the price is one way of doing it. If you want to blame someone, blame the miners, they're the ones who bricked the market.

As for your edit in the previous comment : I don't know what you meant by "on par", but I see 100€ of difference between the 1080Ti and the 2080 on the NVidia website:

https://www.nvidia.com/fr-fr/geforce/products/10series/geforce-gtx-1080-ti/
    https://www.nvidia.com/fr-fr/geforce/20-series/

It can be a pretty big deal for someone. Although they do have to drop their prices, on that I agree (who wouldn't? xD).

Anyway, I just wanted to point out that these high prices are justified by the stock ^^.
    Current VR results imo:

- Full Body Tracking.