New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Gtx1080Ti and RTX 2080Ti best price/comparison thread

Comments

• DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 5,147 Volunteer Moderator

The situation is beginning to get me down a little tbh.

First there was mining pushing up the price of 10 series cards as stock was swallowed up... by people who thought money is something that is earned through speculation rather than through work.

Then there was the apparent delay in delivering 20 series cards compared to previous generations. But it wasn't delayed as much as Jensen Huang said ['There won't be a new GPU for a long time'] in June. Presumably because the price of Bitcoin had dropped to the point that miners had cancelled orders and there was a surplus of cards to sell before a next-gen launch (that's speculation on my part, ironically).

Now we have a seemingly quite limited next gen launch. Limited enough in stock numbers to cause price rises of cards that were already extremely high. That seems to me to be an indication of unusually low launch stock.

I'm not saying the cards are too expensive by the way... I'm just saying we can abandon hope of a PC VR explosion any time soon if this carries on.... and no-matter how good gen 2 headsets are, we aint going to see much of an increase in amount of big budget VR software until PC VR stops being for the enthusiast only.

Moaning over, off for a beer.

Intel 5820K [email protected], Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1903 (18362.418)
  • MradrMradr Posts: 3,515 Valuable Player
    edited September 2018
    Memory supply for the 10s cards was also a big issue during that time this resulted in lower than normal supplies as well between both miners and gamers.

The 20s may not have a memory supply issues - but also will have a higher cost for the memory because new stuff usually cost more. Having a bigger die also doesn't help as they have to cover the cost of wafer used + any problem cores as well.

I'm not saying the cards are too expensive by the way... I'm just saying we can abandon hope of a PC VR explosion any time soon if this carries on.... and no-matter how good gen 2 headsets are, we aint going to see much of an increase in amount of big budget VR software until PC VR stops being for the enthusiast only.

Agree =/ Maybe stand alones are the way to go?

edited September 2018
    I have a slightly contentious solution.
    Facebook should buy Nvidia, then sell recommended graphics cards at cost as a package option when bought with a Rift CV1/CV2 or to existing Rift owners as a priority before selling to non-owners.
    (this came to me after just 2 beers)
    Intel 5820K [email protected], Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1903 (18362.418)
  • LuluViBritanniaLuluViBritannia Posts: 464
    Trinity
    I'm just saying we can abandon hope of a PC VR explosion any time soon if this carries on...
    Way to kill the mood, buddy xD.
    I wouldn't be that pessimistic. The 10s cards can handle VR, and they represent 30% of Steam users, so there's quite a boom to do today (there are dozens of millions of potential buyers). The CPUs are also ready for VR, so nothing to worry on that side.
    VR will have a boom if the companies don't make stupid decisions (like asking for a 1080 to run their device, cough cough).
    First they must manage to lower the needs. As it is today, I'm pretty sure they can lower the software needs. Dynamic resolution coupled with eye-tracking can be gold. There can be some work on the game engines side as well (as much as I love Unreal Engine and Unity, I'm sure they can do something to have better optimization for their games).
    Anyway, there's a lot they can do for a more accessible VR. But they would have to do the opposite of what they do right now : stop trying to get better VR and start reducing the needs for current VR.

PS : On a side note:

people who thought money is something that is earned through speculation rather than through work.

You can't really blame them for doing a wrong speculation, you know ^^'. It happens to everyone one day or another. The industries have to do forecasting, planning, "speculation" on how the market will evolve. There is no "thorough work" to bypass that step, but that step can't be 100% accurate all the time. It's like you blamed weather forecasting because they get it wrong sometimes. Why yes, predicting the future isn't easy xD.
    Current VR results imo:
    - Great small apps. Great ports of bigger games.
    - Great VR-specific features. Not enough showcased!!!
    - Too many actors in the industry, the market is totally broken.

My hopes for VR next gen:

- Better ratio between visual quality and power needs. No more godrays and less SDE.
    - Full Body Tracking.

"If you don't mind, do you want me to take you there? Where dreams come true."
  • CongratulationsCongratulations Posts: 107
    Art3mis
    I find it better to wait for price drop, paying £1000 for a gpu is crazy. They will drop the price 6 months later or get better price on sales.?

edited September 2018
    @LuluViBritannia I really meant speculation of the Bitcoin market through mining. That's definitely something that everyone can choose to avoid.
    The 1070 upwards is fine for this gen, but I doubt they will be for 2nd gen. I'm trying not to be pessimistic and I'm OK with being an enthusiast for the next 5 years, I'm just hoping that VR doesn't remain enthusiast that long and for that to happen we need £1500 PC/headset combined costs, maximum imho.
  • LuluViBritanniaLuluViBritannia Posts: 464
    Trinity
    Oooh ok, my bad ^^.
    I do agree with you. Let's hope Oculus will give good news this week!
    Current VR results imo:
    - Great small apps. Great ports of bigger games.
    - Great VR-specific features. Not enough showcased!!!
    - Too many actors in the industry, the market is totally broken.

My hopes for VR next gen:

- Better ratio between visual quality and power needs. No more godrays and less SDE.
    - Full Body Tracking.

"If you don't mind, do you want me to take you there? Where dreams come true."
  • LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,774 Volunteer Moderator

I'm not sure about that DnD ... you see when you look at the steam hardware survey

Nvidia 10 series 1060 / 1070 / 1080 are on the rise, and the low end 1050 and 1050ti and below are dropping.

CPU's with 4 cores are on the rise again. Makes me believe people are building new rigs or upgrading as the prices have stabilised somewhat,

We will see even more people upgrade to the 10 series over the coming months as they are more affordable (PC part picker is showing 15% price drops on some GTX cards in the US for example), meaning more VR capable systems will be out there.

Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)
  • Hiro_Protag0nistHiro_Protag0nist Posts: 4,804 Valuable Player

I'm not sure about that DnD ... you see when you look at the steam hardware survey

Nvidia 10 series 1060 / 1070 / 1080 are on the rise, and the low end 1050 and 1050ti and below are dropping.

CPU's with 4 cores are on the rise again. Makes me believe people are building new rigs or upgrading as the prices have stabilised somewhat,

We will see even more people upgrade to the 10 series over the coming months as they are more affordable (PC part picker is showing 15% price drops on some GTX cards in the US for example), meaning more VR capable systems will be out there.

Stabilised?  Coffee Lake CPUs have skyrocketed the last 2 weeks.  8700k up by £120!
    I’m in a pessimistic mood. But I’m just increasingly arriving at the conclusion that by the time 1080s are cheap enough for all who are interested in VR, we’ll be on gen 2, where we’ll be back to square 1 with  the same kind of card ownership percentages that we’ve been seeing up u top now.

I still think a Facebook buyout of Nvidia is a good idea. If only to annoy he who can’t be named
  • Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 3,744 Valuable Player
    edited September 2018
    @Techy111 ; In the same boat as you now and I ordered right away. Should I complain as this is now beyond the initial delay of the 27th September? It seems this is going out blanket and that's to people who like me ordered during the presentation when they first went live. At least it's not just me then.

Dear Muggins, 

Thank you for your purchase from the NVIDIA online store. 
    Your GeForce RTX™ 2080 Ti Founders Edition order will now ship between 5th and 9th October with expedited shipping. You will receive a shipping confirmation email once your order is on its way. 
    If you have any other questions or concerns about your order, please visit customer service.

We apologise for any inconvenience and thank you again for your order. 

Sincerely, 

NVIDIA Online Store
    Customer Service

System Specs: RTX 2080 ti , i9 9900K CPU, 16 GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.

Stabilised?  Coffee Lake CPUs have skyrocketed the last 2 weeks.  8700k up by £120!

Oh heck, that was my other upgrade plan. Nothing for it, just going to have to sell my body.

(& yes I know I'll only get enough for a tube of thermal paste)

Its the snake eating it's own tail, prices stabilised, new GPU's came out, people started building new rigs, demand went up ... prices went up ... lol
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

• Hiro_Protag0nistHiro_Protag0nist Posts: 4,804 Valuable Player

Oh heck, that was my other upgrade plan. Nothing for it, just going to have to sell my body.

(& yes I know I'll only get enough for a tube of thermal paste)

The tube and the paste?  I like your optimism!
  • Techy111Techy111 Posts: 6,417 Volunteer Moderator
    @Shadowmask72 bit strange, maybe there IS manufacturing delays mate ???
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

• EvileyesEvileyes Posts: 345
    Trinity
    Just got my shipping date, I will have the 2080 Ti the 5th of Oct.
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    Yeah, October 5th for me too,
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
    Still end of October for me :(
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

• Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 3,744 Valuable Player
    Order will now ship between 5th and 9th October with expedited shipping. Is that the same as you guys then and you are going with the 5th?

System Specs: RTX 2080 ti , i9 9900K CPU, 16 GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.
  • bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 4,065 Valuable Player
    My gigabyte 2080ti still just says early October
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,667 Valuable Player
    edited September 2018
    Techy111 said:
    Still end of October for me :(

I was hoping they would go down in price in the months ahead, but it seems to be taken months just to get the pre-orders to people :D
    @RedRizla Lol it's not a FE card, seems it's a hold up with MSI and it's from a UK store not from Nvidia, at least they gave me 50 quid store credit as an apology ;)

• EvileyesEvileyes Posts: 345
    Trinity
    Order will now ship between 5th and 9th October with expedited shipping. Is that the same as you guys then and you are going with the 5th?

My email had no mention of the 9th...
  • RattyUKRattyUK Posts: 913
    3Jane
    edited September 2018
    Anyone notice that Scan now has a Gigabyte 1080ti for under £600?   And Ebuyer (I think - I deleted the email) had dropped the price of the 2080 by a massive £20... :p    Another £100 or so off and I might even consider buying one after Christmas

ETA: oops, I meant Overclockers...
    PC info: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, MSI MPG X570 Edge, 16GB Tforce Pro Dark DDR4 3200, KFA2 RTX 2080 Super, Samsung 870 Pro M.2, 2x 240GB SSD, 3TB WD Green HDD & 4 TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, Antec Modular 750w PSU, custom watercooling loop. (Win 10 Pro & Opensuse Leap 15.1 Linux) 32" AOC 4K Monitor.

Laptop: Aorus X5 V6-CF1 (I7-6820HK, GTX 1070, 2* 256GB M.2 NVME, 1TB 7200 HDD)
    Yes some very interesting shifts here this week:

Source PcPartPicker price watch: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/products/pricedrop/#dg_7

• kojackkojack Posts: 5,526 Volunteer Moderator
    My favourite local store (Umart) now has 2080 TI models for preorder.
    The most expensive is the Asus 2080 TI Strix at $2249au ($1623us).
    The cheapest is the Gigabyte Windforce at $1999au ($1443us).

kojack said:
    My favourite local store (Umart) now has 2080 TI models for preorder.
    The most expensive is the Asus 2080 TI Strix at $2249au ($1623us).
    The cheapest is the Gigabyte Windforce at $1999au ($1443us).

These prices are nuts!!!
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,667 Valuable Player
    edited September 2018
    @Kojack - You could build a highend Pc for that price this time last year. Now I can't even afford this Graphics Card just to add to my computer..
  • kojackkojack Posts: 5,526 Volunteer Moderator
    The 2080TI straight from nvidia's website is $1899au ($1371us), and that's not including shipping. I also don't know if they included the 10% tax in that.

We're used to it.