Gtx1080Ti and RTX 2080Ti best price/comparison thread - Page 8 — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Gtx1080Ti and RTX 2080Ti best price/comparison thread

Comments

• MradrMradr Posts: 3,406 Valuable Player
    edited September 2018
    The US is getting prep for a tax as well... so we better get used to it too if it's coming from China anyways:)
  • MowTinMowTin Posts: 1,606
    Project 2501
    I picked up my evga 2080 ti OC from Micro Center tonight. I was planning to install and test it tonight but I'm too tired. 

I feel ambivalent because part of me is like, "Are you crazy? $1300 for a few extra fps?!" LOL. The other part of me is like, "Shut up!"

It has to make a difference in IL-2 to be worth it. That's the one game my 1080 ti doesn't handle well with super sampling.
    i7 6700k 2080ti   Rift-S, Index
  • LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,774 Volunteer Moderator
    MowTin said:
    I picked up my evga 2080 ti OC from Micro Center tonight. I was planning to install and test it tonight but I'm too tired. 

I feel ambivalent because part of me is like, "Are you crazy? $1300 for a few extra fps?!" LOL. The other part of me is like, "Shut up!"

It has to make a difference in IL-2 to be worth it. That's the one game my 1080 ti doesn't handle well with super sampling.
    Awesome, let us know the results!, also you're lucky you only have two voices in your head, I have to deal with a committee ...
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)
  • bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 3,981 Valuable Player
    edited September 2018
    I *almost* cancelled my 2080ti order after finding a 1080ti for almost half the price (£579 for gigabyte windforce) (overclockers uk)... But I told the sensible voice to piss off as well. 
    That said until it arrives I am keeping all eyes to the ground for better deals. £1089 is a lot of wedge for a GPU of which it's standout features are not operational yet and largely untested.
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,560 Valuable Player
    MowTin said:

Seriously? IL2 doesn't handle well? If you had said DCS, I could understand that, but IL2 performs well even with my Geforce 1080..
    Project 2501
    MowTin said:

Awesome, let us know the results!, also you're lucky you only have two voices in your head, I have to deal with a committee ...
    So, I'm not good at benchmarking. It's too time consuming for me.

Before I installed the evga 2080 ti Ultra XC, I tried the following on my 1080 ti:

Project Cars 2
    Fallout 4 VR
    Aerofly SF2 
    IL-2

--I setup all these games so that they struggle and hit ASW 45fps.

On the 2080 ti Project Cars 2 ran at a stable 90fps at 1.5 supersampling ingame. That was impossible with the 1080 ti. 

Now all the other Steam VR games are stuck at 45 fps. It seems I'm having a problem with Steam VR. I think I had this problem before getting the 2080 ti. I used to play IL-2 and get frame rates that varied between 80 and 50 fps. After some Steam VR update it was always stuck at 45 fps. Same with Fallout 4 VR. 

Anyway, not much to compare due to my Steam VR problems. Noticeable bump is performance with Project Cars 2. 
  • leo1954auleo1954au Posts: 370
    Nexus 6
    They range from $1300 to $1700 here in Aus but have around the same speed and ram as my 1080 that I've had to throttle down to 1733Mhz so I'll just stick with it for now
    MowTin said:
    MowTin said:

Before I installed the evga 2080 ti Ultra XC, I tried the following on my 1080 ti:

Project Cars 2
    Fallout 4 VR
    Aerofly SF2 
    IL-2

On the 2080 ti Project Cars 2 ran at a stable 90fps at 1.5 supersampling ingame. That was impossible with the 1080 ti. 

Now all the other Steam VR games are stuck at 45 fps. It seems I'm having a problem with Steam VR. I think I had this problem before getting the 2080 ti. I used to play IL-2 and get frame rates that varied between 80 and 50 fps. After some Steam VR update it was always stuck at 45 fps. Same with Fallout 4 VR. 

Anyway, not much to compare due to my Steam VR problems. Noticeable bump is performance with Project Cars 2. 

Thanks for trying stuff out!  Oh no, btw SteamVR does auto super sampling, maybe it's set to something cosmically high?

Image result for steamvr supersampling

Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

edited October 2018
    Price Drops on Overclockers for 2080, looks like maybe they are not selling as well as the Ti's?

• RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,560 Valuable Player
    edited October 2018
    @LZoltowski - This is why voting with your wallet is sometimes a good thing. I didn't expect the Geforce 2080 do well because it's out performed by the Geforce 1080Ti in some cases. I have a Geforce 1080 and I was looking to upgrade it before I saw what was on offer. The Geforce 2080 isn't a big enough upgrade for me though and the Geforce 2080Ti is something I can't afford unfortunatly. 

Hopefully they will do the same with the Geforce 2080Ti cards..
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 3,053 Valuable Player
    edited October 2018
    MowTin said:
    MowTin said:

Project Cars 2
    Fallout 4 VR
    Aerofly SF2 
    IL-2

Thanks for trying stuff out!  Oh no, btw SteamVR does auto super sampling, maybe it's set to something cosmically high?

Image result for steamvr supersampling

Yes, but using manual override set to 200% you'll deactivate adaptive super sampling (app or games specific) and get the equivalent of setting super sampling (ss) to 2.0 in Oculus Tray Tool. SS default in Steam is 1.4 on my rig (=100% in Steam ,and remember that 200% is ss 2.0 - not 2.8 - it's some kind of fuzzy logic ;-).
    If you start Steam from Home and use Oculus Tray Tool, you can activate the Oculus Tray Tool Pixel Density HUD and verify you're getting ss 2.0 (or whatever you want), because the HUD will be active in Steam VR. FallOut 4 VR would be the most interesting game to me - it really begs for ss 2.0! (I might get 22 fps using ss 2.0, maybe 45 fps is awesome?). 
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
    Project 2501
    @RuneSR2

I'm pretty sure I have the ss values in Steam VR set properly. I used OTT to verify the ASW status. 

I"m not locked at 45 fps anymore. It turns out I had ASW in OTT set to 45fps. 

But I'm still getting very low framerates in Steam VR. When I have time, I'll try to reinstall Steam VR and do a driver cleaner and reinstall the video drivers. 

This was my fraps test using the IL-2 procedure defined in the Rig Comparison  thread in the IL-2 forums:

2018-09-30 22:12:38 - Il-2
    Frames: 5340 - Time: 120000ms - Avg: 44.500 - Min: 34 - Max: 64

Even if I set everything very low I get numbers like these. 

I'm pretty sure it's a Steam VR problem because the 2080 ti did really well in Project Cars 2. 
    MowTin said:
    @RuneSR2

I'm pretty sure I have the ss values in Steam VR set properly. I used OTT to verify the ASW status. 

But I'm still getting very low framerates in Steam VR. When I have time, I'll try to reinstall Steam VR and do a driver cleaner and reinstall the video drivers. 

This was my fraps test using the IL-2 procedure defined in the Rig Comparison  thread in the IL-2 forums:

I'm pretty sure it's a Steam VR problem because the 2080 ti did really well in Project Cars 2. 

If you've got Lone Echo, do you get 90 fps using resolution 2.0 and all other settings maxed out? Lone Echo would be the most interesting benchmark for 2080 Ti in my opinion :-)
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

RuneSR2 said:
    MowTin said:
    @RuneSR2

If you've got Lone Echo, do you get 90 fps using resolution 2.0 and all other settings maxed out? Lone Echo would be the most interesting benchmark for 2080 Ti in my opinion :-)

Lone Echo is EXTREMELY well optimised, it's a proprietary engine called RAD and the devs are notoriously good at squeezing every ounce of performance from the host system.

• YoLolo69YoLolo69 Posts: 1,111
    Wintermute
    edited October 2018
    MowTin said:
    @RuneSR2

I can't talk about Fallout 4 VR but IL-2 is very CPU demanding, more than GPU, depending options you chose. What's your CPU exactly? In my case (already said previously) switching from my GTX 1080 to a RTX 2080 TI will not provide me a single FPS more in IL-2. My old I7 3770K OC 4,4Ghz (and old DDR3 RAM) is struggling with this sim. I could be able to raise some only graphical features (like using more than my current 1,5 SS) but nothing eating CPU (like shadows). COuld it be you're CPU bounded?

“Dreams feel real while we are in them, it's only when we wake up that we realize something was strange.” - Dom Cobb

"Be careful, if you are killed in real life you die in VR too." - TD_4242

I7 3770K OC 4.6GHz, GTX1080 OC 10%, 16GB DDR3 2448  OC, Oculus Rift CV1

edited October 2018
    YoLolo69 said:
    MowTin said:
    @RuneSR2

I can't talk about Fallout 4 VR but IL-2 is very CPU demanding, more than GPU, depending options you chose. What's your CPU exactly? In my case (already said previously) switching from my GTX 1080 to a RTX 2080 TI will not provide me a single FPS more in IL-2. My old I7 3770K OC 4,4Ghz (and old DDR3 RAM) is struggling with this sim. I could be able to raise some only graphical features (like using more than my current 1,5 SS) but nothing eating CPU (like shadows). COuld it be you're CPU bounded?

I'm thinking much the same, especially in sims - but I don't use IL-2. I've checked a large number of games and apps, and using super-sampling (ss) 1.5 on my rig, I normally get 90+ fps in all games and apps - and my need for 2080 Ti would be non-existent in that scenario.  It's primarily when I start to push ss beyond 1.5 I may get 45 fps (ASW). Personally my priority if I got a 2080 Ti would be to get 90 fps using ss 2.0, because otherwise I'd probably not be able to see any improvements. I'm using an i7 7700K with 16GB 3200 MHz (going from 2400MHz to 3200MHz gave me approximately 10% more cpu power - mem speed shouldn't be underestimated ;-)

One method may be to check your favorite game or app - where you get low performance causing you to want to upgrade. If lowering ss doesn't improve your framerate (can be done using Oculus tray Tool, you can go below ss 1.0), you're probably cpu-bottlenecked and you'll gain very little or nothing when upgrading the video card. But if performance improves when lowering ss, a new video card may be warranted. - Because the cpu workload is the same no matter the ss levels, but that's not at all the case for the video card ;-)

• Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 3,692 Valuable Player
    edited October 2018
    Beware of banks folks. The payment was made by Digital River and the bank auto blocked the payment. This is supposed to protect customers from fraud, but it's not it's to protect the banks from losses. Either way, called the bank who said this is procedure they can do nothing. You cannot even tell them in advance apparently as this helps fraudsters, but you can tell them in advance if you use the card abroad funnily enough. 

Either way, bank was useless in this scenario and called Digital river to take payement again. 

RTX 2080ti coming in the next few days. There will be a never OC GTX 1080 ti FE for sale very soon if anyone is interested.

:#

System Specs: RTX 2080 ti , i9 9900K CPU, 16 GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.

• Star-lizardStar-lizard Posts: 338
    Trinity
    Beware of banks folks. The payment was made by Digital River and the bank auto blocked the payment. This is supposed to protect customers from fraud, but it's not it's to protect the banks from losses. Either way, called the bank who said this is procedure they can do nothing. You cannot even tell them in advance apparently as this helps fraudsters, but you can tell them in advance if you use the card abroad funnily enough. 

Either way, bank was useless in this scenario and called Digital river to take payement again. 

RTX 2080ti coming in the next few days. There will be a never OC GTX 1080 ti FE for sale very soon if anyone is interested.

:#
    What I use is a prepaid Visa card from my bank , the fee is only $10 a year and I can reload it as many times as I want . It avoids rejections as the money is on the card and doesn't require visa approval per purchase 
  • Star-lizardStar-lizard Posts: 338
    Trinity
    https://wccftech.com/amd-intros-7nm-cpus-gpus-ces-2019/amp/
    So when would these cards be released and would it be worth waiting 
    https://wccftech.com/amd-intros-7nm-cpus-gpus-ces-2019/amp/
    So when would these cards be released and would it be worth waiting 
    Since it says to be introduced at CES 19, I would imagine around Q4 2019 - Q1 2020 ish

:) 
    Awesome! Let us know how you get on with it in VR!

• Techy111Techy111 Posts: 6,352 Volunteer Moderator
    27 days to go :(
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

• EvileyesEvileyes Posts: 344
    Trinity
    edited October 2018

:) 
    Awesome! Let us know how you get on with it in VR!

Yes, I cannot concur enough.. please let us know how it performs in VR, there isn't much detail on Youtube for this new card and VR. What few reports that ive heard, it does quite well! please confirm! :)

Thanks in advance!

Well if some of you can give any pointers as to what I could be testing then let me know please? 

• Techy111Techy111 Posts: 6,352 Volunteer Moderator
    I'd like DCS, IL2 FSX with Flyinside please ;)
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

• DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 5,030 Volunteer Moderator
    Techy111 said:
    I'd like DCS, IL2 FSX with Flyinside please ;)

are you into flight sims?
    Intel 5820K OC@4Ghz, Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1903 (18362.239)
    I haven't done any VR testing before so any pointers as to what tools I can use to monitor performance? I have installed Elite, Hellblade and PCARS 2. Sorry I don't have any flight sims aside from the MS one.

edited October 2018
    I haven't done any VR testing before so any pointers as to what tools I can use to monitor performance? I have installed Elite, Hellblade and PCARS 2. Sorry I don't have any flight sims aside from the MS one.

The Nvidia FCAT is the gold standard for testing.

https://www.geforce.com/whats-new/guides/fcat-vr-download-and-how-to-guide

Would be amazing to see results between your old card and this one, in some GPU heavy titles like Seeking Dawn, Lone Echo, Skyrim/Fallout VR etc or whatever you have ...