cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Motion Sickness?

LemonMadness
Sightseer
Hello everyone, I got my Rift two days ago and tried it for a few hours. The first day I used it for about 2 - 3 hours in Google Earth VR, REC Room and Thumper. Never felt sick but after taking it off I felt pretty weird and that weirdness lasted all yesterday (when I played 1 hour of Rec Room in the afternoon and 1 hour of VRChat to test it at night; same as the day before: no sickness, just a little bit of nausea when I took it off. Today I still feel a little bit weird (not really nauseous, just little weird stomach) and my eyesight seems to be a bit traslated to the right. Maybe it's the lens that are too much to the right, or for the fact that my left side of the head is a little bit closer than the other.
Does anyone know what's going on?
A big breast fills a boy's hand, a small breast fills a man's heart.
18 REPLIES 18

ElusiveMarlin
Rising Star
This is a common feeling and is part of the process of getting your "VR legs"
I used to get that feeling and it lasted into the following day too.
I know what you mean....Not nausea, but "not right".

It does lessen to more you use it.  I'm perfectly fine now.  I've only had my rift for a year.
RIFT CV1
RIFT S
Leeds, UK.

Intel Core i7 7700K 3.7GHz | RAM 32GB DDR4 2666MHz | GeForce GTX 1080 8GB |

"Behind every mask there is a face, and behind that a story...."

LemonMadness
Sightseer

This is a common feeling and is part of the process of getting your "VR legs"
I used to get that feeling and it lasted into the following day too.
I know what you mean....Not nausea, but "not right".

It does lessen to more you use it.  I'm perfectly fine now.  I've only had my rift for a year.
Oh thank you, that's reassuring.
Do you have any tip to "get VR legs"? I wouldn't want to do it wrong.

Monstaah
Heroic Explorer
As ElusiveMarlin says, getting your VR legs can take some time to adjust to for different users, just try and ease into it your first week or so..

Another note, and something that commonly goes unsaid is to align your headset and ipd correctly, grab your hmd and move it vertically up and down until you get the best image possible (looking at text is usually ideal for this) once you've got that, then adjust the lens slider at the bottom left of the hmd for the sharpest image you can get..  

These 2 steps are quick and seldom get mentioned but vitally important (imo), takes all of 30 seconds and  can be the difference between being able to cope with VR or Not..
PC Specs:

Black Box, with wires & some kind of electronicy stuff inside..
oooh it even has lights!! 😃

ElusiveMarlin
Rising Star
Nail on the head @Monstaah!

Everyone is different, some people do not suffer with it at all.
My other half suffers terribly and cannot stomach any movement in VR at all, though she has only had 3 x 5 minutes goes!

It took me a few of months of playing pretty much every other day, to "get my legs"
It also really depends on the game, some are worse than others, and this depends on many factors from game type to PC spec.

You have to try it and see, you want games with smooth movement and 90fps as much as possible, as the lower the frame-rate gets, the higher the likelihood of being affected.

With regards to tips, the best one I can give is to not "push through it".
As soon as you start to feel any nausea or sweating etc, take the headset off and have a good break, preferably outside in fresh air.
"Pushing through" just deepens and lengthens the effect making you less likely to want to go "Back in" 

Just take it steady!

RIFT CV1
RIFT S
Leeds, UK.

Intel Core i7 7700K 3.7GHz | RAM 32GB DDR4 2666MHz | GeForce GTX 1080 8GB |

"Behind every mask there is a face, and behind that a story...."

LemonMadness
Sightseer
Thank you so much to both you!
Every time I put my headset on I always try to adjust the lens to get the best focus as possible, even though it's a bit hard with tarnished lens after a while (because I don't understand if it's out of focus or if it's just the sweat).
Also, I find it pretty hard to understand if I'm sweating 'cause of the Rift or it summer's fault (35-40°C).
Then I'm pretty aware that if I feel wrong I mustn't push through. in fact I'm doing small sessions of about 1 hour (2 hours at maximum) per day. Never felt really nauseous, but I don't want to risk it.

ASISOculus
Explorer

Thank you all for expressing your experiences here as I was a little worried about the effect the Rift had on me...

I am very new to the "real VR thing" as I just had some previous smartphone-VR experience which caused no nausea at all, but after using the Rift for some days now I can say that I have all of the above mentioned symptoms!

- a slight feeling of "not feeling too well"
- getting sweaty after a longer session with a lot of VR movement
- getting absolutely sick after driving in Project Cars 😮
- having the dizzy feeling for a long time after my VR sessions ... up into the next day where it starts to faint slowly

I learned from you this:
- re-check the lenses after putting on the headset and see if everything is sharp and clean
- train for a reasonable time each day, don't over-use the gear
- get used to it, it is worth it 😉

Thanks a lot!

Cheers
AS
"success is the ability to go from one failure to the next without any loss of enthusiasm"
-- unknown

TickTock
Heroic Explorer
One more tip that should be given to all new HMD owners.  Always stop as soon as you get any hint of motion sickness.  It is way worse and takes longer to recover if you try to push yourself.  Totally different than exercising - for VR the adage is "Pain, no gain"
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."
 -Groucho Marx

ASISOculus
Explorer

TickTock said:

One more tip that should be given to all new HMD owners.  Always stop as soon as you get any hint of motion sickness.  It is way worse and takes longer to recover if you try to push yourself.  Totally different than exercising - for VR the adage is "Pain, no gain"

Good point! Thank you!  😉
"success is the ability to go from one failure to the next without any loss of enthusiasm"
-- unknown

falken76
Expert Consultant
It'll pass, you're just getting your VR legs right now.