New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

GORN is now available in the Oculus Store - post your bloody impressions here!

RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 1,473
Project 2501
edited August 2018 in Games and Apps
GORN has just arrived in the Oculus Store - it's 10/10 on Steam (2300 ratings), so this may be the best VR game of all (at least within its genre ;-)

https://www.oculus.com/experiences/rift/1896033800492877/

Some trailers:

The game works and looks great with very high levels of super-sampling using Oculus Tray Tool, note that the game is Early Access. I did notice some reprojections using SS 2.0, so even a 2080 Ti may come in handy although a GTX 970 is enough to enjoy the game:

SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS

MINIMUM:
    • Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
    • Processor: Intel i5-4590
    • Memory: 8 GB RAM
    • Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970
    • DirectX: Version 11
    • Storage: 2 GB available space
    RECOMMENDED:
    • Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
    • Processor: Intel i7-4770
    • Memory: 16 GB RAM
    • Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti
    • DirectX: Version 12
    • Storage: 2 GB available space

Gorn is now fully optimized for Touch controllers: you have full locomotion or a fun way of movement like grabbing the air in front of you and pulling yourself forward. That felt slightly weird, I went for the full locomotion and smooth turning. Forward can be HMD directed or joystick-controlled (on Touch). Like in Doom VFR I chose HMD directed, it feels most like being truly present in the virtual world. 
Gorn requires 360 degrees tracking and 2m x 2m play area (about 40 sq ft) - of course you can do with less like the girl in the first trailer  :D The game may not in any way provide a bomb of intellectual stimulation and refreshment, actually it's more like a totally braindead hack'n slash experience where all your neurons except the motor ones may slowly start to degenerate -  but more precisely: Gorn is just pure fun. 

Note that until August 27 the game is 5 bucks less expensive on Steam, but I greatly dislike Steam ('s frequent and incredibly annoying auto-patching and lack of Oculus SDK support) and prefer to have and support the Oculus version  <3  o:) In fact my intense Steam loathing caused me never to buy Gorn on Steam, and I'm happy to be able to play it now  :D

The game is just 1GB download (might expand to 3.26 GB when installing according to Oculus Store - although according to Steam you only need 2GB).
Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz boost, 11 Ghz ram); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Oculus Rift CV1 - nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"

Comments

• RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 5,298 Valuable Player
    edited August 2018
    Edit..
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 1,473
    Project 2501
    edited August 2018
    Note that the game isn't necessarily much cheaper on Steam. Because if you live in Europe it looks like this - compared to $19.99 in the Oculus Store:

Notice that the Steam price is in € not $ - so it's nearly the same price, maybe a couple of bucks cheaper on Steam  ;)

But if you live in the US:

And that's a bit strange - so they release the game in the Oculus Store and still try to make Steam the more attractive option  :s
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz boost, 11 Ghz ram); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Oculus Rift CV1 - nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

Project 2501
    edited August 2018
    Of course it's not all bloody red roses  ;)

Oh, well, maybe it really is all bloody red roses  :D

One thought of criticism did cross my mind though, namely that this game may not be a great first choice for Viking Age edutainment if you're a newly hired kindergarten teacher  ;)

• Digikid1Digikid1 Posts: 1,659 Valuable Player
    I have this for steam. Made me quite motion sick for some reason. 
    Project 2501
    edited August 2018
    It seems I can't easily embed this Gorn video - the content is pretty sick/fun - wouldn't be surprised to see some white coats come running after the dude who made this video in the real world  :D

https://streamable.com/s/ftzqc/zbhscs

• nalex66nalex66 Posts: 4,171 Valuable Player
    I picked this up on Steam last year. It’s a lot of fun, although I haven’t played it in quite a while. I should probably check out what they added in the last few updates. 
    i7 5820K @ 4.25 GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32 GB | Corsair HX 750W
    Corsair Hydro H100i | Samsung SSDs: 860 Evo 1 TB, 850 Evo 1 TB, 840 Evo 1 TB | Seagate BarraCuda HDD 3 TB
    My Oculus Medium sketchbook thread, and my Oculus Medium Gallery
  • jamisonmillerjamisonmiller Posts: 42
    Brain Burst
    I already had this on steam before it was released on Oculus (for half the price too) and is perhaps one of my favourite games that NEVER get's old! :D
  • WildtWildt Posts: 1,566
    Project 2501
    edited August 2018
    I bought it and played a 1-2 hours. Slightly dissapointed tbh - it ok fun, but the weapon mechanics aren't doing it for me.
    We've been over the subject of how hard it is to implement good melee combat, and imo Gorn hasn't achieved that. 

So they emulate weight with lag, and since it's all cartoony I guess it's passable to just let all the shafts bend like rubber. But those two handed weapons just feel like you're holding a pole of Jello. 

The devs also need to combat wrist cheese. Using IK it should be doable to penalize the force transfered to the weapons if it's from wrist bending. 

I feel like I need to engage in some role playing to get into the game, because so far I've been successfully cleaving skulls with moves that resembles this bloke playing cowbells:

Asus Z370-A ||  Watercooled 8700K || 16 GB gSkill ram 3200 || Samsung SSD 840PRO 256GB + 850PRO 256GB + 850EVO 500GB || Watercooled FE Geforce 1080ti || Zalman Reserator XT watercooler || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3 || Asus ROG PG279Q  G-sync monitor
  • IIJackIIIIJackII Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    Nice game for the first hours then the it gets completely repetitive and there is no much to do I bought it and refund it on Steam...
    |Asus Maximus X Hero|i7-8700K+Corsair H115i|MSI GTX 1080Ti GX|Vengeance 16GB|Samsung EVO 840 250|WD Black 1TB|
    |XFX PRO 850 BE|NZXT Switch 810|Logitech G903|Razer Blackwidow|Razer Tiamat 7.1|Razer Orbweaver|
    |Thrustmaster TS-PC Racer+TH8A - X56 Rhino - Oculus Rift|Sony Bravia HX752 40|
  • nroskonrosko Posts: 952
    Neo
    Had it on Steam for a while, its great fun. 
    Project 2501
    edited August 2018
    It is very repetivive and I don't feel that I'm getting smarter or brighter playing the game ;-) - but yes, it's fun. I mostly think of Gorn like one of the old arcade machines (Double Dragon?), where you play for a few minutes and then move along to something else. I don't think I've played Gorn for more than 10 tol 20 minutes at a time, but like eating candy, I love to do it for short periods of time. Also I'm interested in finding out why this game is rated so high by thousands of persons. 

It does worry me that simple games like Gorn and Beat Saber get so much attention, while giant AAA-like exclusive VR games like Robinson, Mage's Tale, Arizona Sunshine and more don't get the same attention. Actually it's been some time since I've seen really awesome VR content. Sometimes it feels like the best games were made some time ago - in the golden days of VR in 2016 and 2017 - while what we're mostly seeing today are small indie games that may be fun, but severely lacking in story and gameplay diversity. Last evening I just started Lone Echo, Olivia's skin texture - and the textures in general - are still second to none - and feel light years ahead of games like Gorn. Compared to real VR games I'd rate Gorn at about 60 % (like Beat Saber ;-)

BTW, I think I can split the cubes in Beat Saber like the bloke above playing cowbells (I don't need to move much) - but it feels more OK because my brain doesn't expect friction when using a lightsaber. Getting a feeling of weight, gravity and friction using VR controllers isn't easy, as Carmack explained in a video published last year. Some suggested using deep bass sounds to imply something heavy, I'm not convinced that'll work... Maybe we need adjustable strings tied to the Touch controllers to provide a sensation of true weight and friction - but we'll probably just get tangled up in strings, sigh ;-) 

So who’s thrown up yet?  Lol
    Project 2501
    Digikid1 said:
    So who’s thrown up yet?  Lol

Not yet :(  - I don't get nausea from the locomotion (or smooth turning) and the gore is too cartoon-like  ;) I'd love to feel some nausea in this game - that'd really add to the immersion and could make the game feel much more real (at least I think I'd feel quite nauseated if I just gutted 5 dudes in the real world) :D

(sorry, bad humor :s )

• nroskonrosko Posts: 952
    Neo
    RuneSR2 said:
    It is very repetivive and I don't feel that I'm getting smarter or brighter playing the game ;-) - but yes, it's fun. I mostly think of Gorn like one of the old arcade machines (Double Dragon?), where you play for a few minutes and then move along to something else. I don't think I've played Gorn for more than 10 tol 20 minutes at a time, but like eating candy, I love to do it for short periods of time. Also I'm interested in finding out why this game is rated so high by thousands of persons. 

It does worry me that simple games like Gorn and Beat Saber get so much attention, while giant AAA-like exclusive VR games like Robinson, Mage's Tale, Arizona Sunshine and more don't get the same attention. 
    Those titles are certainly not giant AAA titles. Robinson is about 4 hours in total with very little game play. Mages Tale & Arizona Sunshine are most certainly indy titles. 

For something to be AAA it needs to of had a high budget by definition. 

I don't think Gorn has had that much attention this is the first thread on it? For me it's like Robo-recall, superhot, in death etc they are fun have good mechanics but only for a short blast as its repetitive. I don't think there is anything wrong with them but many vr games are like that. 
    Project 2501
    edited August 2018
    nrosko said:
    RuneSR2 said:

It does worry me that simple games like Gorn and Beat Saber get so much attention, while giant AAA-like exclusive VR games like Robinson, Mage's Tale, Arizona Sunshine and more don't get the same attention. 
    Those titles are certainly not giant AAA titles. Robinson is about 4 hours in total with very little game play. Mages Tale & Arizona Sunshine are most certainly indy titles. 

For something to be AAA it needs to of had a high budget by definition. 

I don't think Gorn has had that much attention this is the first thread on it? For me it's like Robo-recall, superhot, in death etc they are fun have good mechanics but only for a short blast as its repetitive. I don't think there is anything wrong with them but many vr games are like that. 

Robinson took me more than 10 hours to complete, maybe 15... - Maybe I'm just slow, but if you can find all the HIGS units and complete the game is just 4 hours, you're awesome  ;-) Last year Arktika.1 was presented as an AAA game at Oculus Connect - it's still in that game's description:

"Using the newest version of the 4A Engine, ARKTIKA.1 delivers the most impressive visuals ever seen in VR, along with the immersion and world building that 4A Games is known for, in a full AAA package."
    Source: https://www.oculus.com/experiences/rift/682000918570174/

But I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you, AAA 2D games like GTA-V and series like Call of Duty, BattleField etc. of course have budgets far beyond any current VR game. Maybe the meaning of AAA can be bent for some games ;-)

Robinson: The Journey has end credits including about 1000 persons who helped make that game (takes 20 minutes to watch) - maybe not all participated or got paid, but you do get the impression that a large team helped make Robinson. I can't find info about that game's budget. 

If Oculus considers Arktika.1 an AAA game, I'll do the same for Robinson, Lone Echo, Arizona Sunshine, Mage's Tale and more - with the term AAA meaning "of the highest quality we've seen so far" ;-)

• MowTinMowTin Posts: 1,152
    Wintermute
    nrosko said:
    I totally agree. They're mostly short experiences. 

I spent most of my time in full games like Project Cars 2 or IL-2. 
    Project 2501
    edited August 2018
    Don't you just love when you support the devs and buy their new game at launch for the full price  <3 o:) - And then 5 days later the damn thing goes on sale?  :#  

https://www.oculus.com/experiences/rift/1896033800492877/

Ok, it's just 5 bucks, but I could get a nice cold beer for that price  :o Actually I'm not sure I've played Gorn for 2 hours yet... But it's not worth the hassle, I don't mind supporting the devs  o:)

For those of you who've been considering purchasing Gorn, maybe now is the time - $15 is an ok price for some good ol' super-repetitive ultra-bloody skull-cracking mayhem  ;)

• WildtWildt Posts: 1,566
    Project 2501
    Played a bit more last night, and I tried out the two handed flail. The physics in this game is just fubar - it went into some kinda self induced seizure and just glitched all over the place, making it super deadly for anything that got within it's range.

I simply don't get the hype surrounding this game. I'm still have decent time with it, but it's a 3/5 star game for me at most.
    Asus Z370-A ||  Watercooled 8700K || 16 GB gSkill ram 3200 || Samsung SSD 840PRO 256GB + 850PRO 256GB + 850EVO 500GB || Watercooled FE Geforce 1080ti || Zalman Reserator XT watercooler || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3 || Asus ROG PG279Q  G-sync monitor
    Wildt said:
    Played a bit more last night, and I tried out the two handed flail. The physics in this game is just fubar - it went into some kinda self induced seizure and just glitched all over the place, making it super deadly for anything that got within it's range.

I simply don't get the hype surrounding this game. I'm still have decent time with it, but it's a 3/5 star game for me at most.
    Mindless killing is always fun and that’s what sells this game. 
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 12,826 Valuable Player
    edited September 2018
    I bought this game today, and after 15 minutes or so I was ready to Refund it.

But I decided to give it another chance since it has received such stark praise. Some 2 hours later... yeah, I'm keeping it. Once the two-handed weapons came in - like using the Pike to pull out a heart or decapitate - the real fun started for me. This is some mindless fun that I can enjoy!
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • osoyooskingosoyoosking Posts: 7
    NerveGear
    i just bought this game in store but theres no download button anyone know anythning
  • osoyooskingosoyoosking Posts: 7
    NerveGear
    Zenbane said:
    I bought this game today, and after 15 minutes or so I was ready to Refund it.

But I decided to give it another chance since it has received such stark praise. Some 2 hours later... yeah, I'm keeping it. Once the two-handed weapons came in - like using the Pike to pull out a heart or decapitate - the real fun started for me. This is some mindless fun that I can enjoy!
    how did you download it?

Project 2501
    A new update has arrived - I've installed it, but haven't tried it, looks promising though:

GORN EARLY ACCESS FEBRUARY 2019: THE TEACHINGS OF ODALBE UPDATE

14 FEB @ 1:27PM - FLB

Heed the wisdom of the prisoner, gladiator. He was once as you are now.

Your favourite over-the-top VR game is back with an update of monumental proportions. As we fight our way closer to final launch, the Free Lives team are pouring blood and sweat into polishing existing content and improving the game experience for new players. 

That said, there should be plenty of content here for GORN fanatics to sink their teeth into. Here are some of the major features you can expect from ‘The Teachings of ODALBE’:

CAMPAIGN
    We’ve reworked the progression and unlock system of the game, which now feels a bit more complete. This hasn’t been finalized, so any feedback is highly appreciated!

THE DEATH PIT
    Now, finally, you may do battle in the arena where it all started.

MORE FEATURES
    • We’ve updated our Unity engine to a more recent version, mostly for performance fixes.
    • Several weeks of optimization, including everything from sound to physics to rendering. For us, GORN is running much better than before, and this allows you to battle more enemies simultaneously.
    • New sound spatializer engine: This should allow you to better tell where sound is coming from, as well as fix some audio issue some have been having.
    • Several hundred new voice lines for the gladiators, as well as other character and AIimprovements (they now look around at interesting stuff, cool).
    • New VO for the emperor.
    • Polish to most existing bosses.
    • Reworked the Grapple Caestus.
    • Entirely new Cell environment, with many unlockables.
    • More narrative content than anyone could realistically have expected given the nature of the game.
    • One of the most unnecessarily complicated carved graffiti decal systems ever.
    • Improved seagulls.

DO YOU LIKE CONTENT?
    If you’ve been sleeping under a rock, you may have missed BE KIROOD and superstarproducer Jaybooty’s new Rap EP, TAVUES ES ROKIBE. It’s available on all major platforms. 
    For more information, go here: [bekirood.bandcamp.com]

We also released a devlog showing some of the making of this update, which you can find here:

THANKS!
    As always, a huge thanks to the community for the feedback and contributions that shape our development. Please keep sending us your suggestions, performance complaints and bug reports.

Free Lives forums:https://freelives.net/community/gorn 
    Email: [email protected]
    Twitter: @Free_Lives
    Subreddit: gorn.reddit.com
    Twitter: @GORNVR ;

SALUTE AND DO BATTLE!

Project 2501
    I just tested GORN using the latest patch(es) and I was impressed - that doesn't happen often.

The devs did promise optimizations and they delivered. Before I often got 45 fps asw when forcing super sampling 2.0, but now I got solid 90 fps - no asw. Gorn has never looked this good and played this awesome before. Of course it's still not the most intellectually stimulating game, but it was never meant to be  ;)

Which a lot of enemies on screen + the bow, I still can get some 45 fps asw, but I don't notice it much - users of 1080 Ti or 2080 (Ti) should be able to enjoy Gorn in solid 90 fps using super sampling 2.0.