cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cybersickness induced by VR applications: a survey

littledevilsisi
Honored Guest
Hi guys,
I´m writing my doctoral thesis at University of Augsburg in Germany and my topic is about cybersickness induced by HMDs in terms of driving simulation. In my dissertation I'm investigating this VR side effect and the goal is to set-up a driving simulation VR environment with minimal cybersickness outbreak so many people could work inside the environment. For that purpose I would like to invite you to fill in my online survey about cybersickness induced by VR applications (find the link below).
Please, feel free to contact me if you have any questions.
Thank you in advance 🙂

15 REPLIES 15

lord_of_shred
Adventurer
Done.
Hello fellow Augsburger. Good luck with your thesis.

LZoltowski
Champion
Done.

Just a few pointers about the survey, I found those 2 questions confusing, do we list top application and top game? I think I have like 100 VR games/experiences now 

49wa6m0csp5t.jpg

Also, many people report (like myself) getting rid of VR sickness over time after continuous usage. Would be a great metric to have to see how long it took a person to acclimate.
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

ElusiveMarlin
Rising Star
Completed. Good luck with your Thesis,
It would be interesting to read the results.
RIFT CV1
RIFT S
Leeds, UK.

Intel Core i7 7700K 3.7GHz | RAM 32GB DDR4 2666MHz | GeForce GTX 1080 8GB |

"Behind every mask there is a face, and behind that a story...."

bigmike20vt
Visionary
I filled in as best as i can however there are a few of my answers that seem to contradict each other... but it is because the questions are too vague imo.
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂

SkScotchegg
Expert Trustee
Done mate.
UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Rift CV1 & Rift S - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!

falken76
Expert Consultant
The survey seems like it's not asking all the right questions.  Here's data for your thesis.  You acclimate to VR over time.  There didn't seem to be questioning that would ask if that happens.  How long that time is and what you do or play during that time varies amongst us all, but perhaps that's something to look into also.

BeastyBaiter
Superstar
Agreed with Falken, I think you're chasing a red herring with that line of questioning. I answered no to just about every sickness related question but that's after a year of use! My first few days were very different.

MowTin
Expert Trustee
I hate surveys but I did it for you man. 

I agree with others. I have nearly zero motion sickness but it wasn't always so.

I love driving simulators but motion sickness is less a problem in driving simulators because it simulates a car where you have the frame of the car as a reference. 

But my brother-in-law tried and felt dizzy. My brother tried and didn't feel dizzy. It depends on the person.

Initially, I used to feel motion sickness if I switched to the external view watching the cars from behind. Now that's totally gone. 

I think an interesting study would be to take a group of people of expose them all the VR situations that make people dizzy and track if their symptoms change with exposure over time. What works best, frequent short exposure, less frequent longer exposure, etc. 
i7 9700k 3090 rtx   CV1, Rift-S, Index, G2

Anonymous
Not applicable
END your Thesis. Driving does not give sickness due to us controlling the car. Rollercoasters do and made me physically throw up!!! (NoLimits2)
Elite:Dangerous gives you some butterflies at times e.g. turning inside a Station or boosting around asteroids but this is easily resolved after a few weeks. I wish that feeling never went as it was never sickness.